Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    nice work, disting! Digging it all!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Raul! I appreciate it! :)

Here's the The Minish Cap version of the sword. Or, at least the grip and crossguard. I like the blade as it is. ^^

2aiopio.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First bake rendered in Marmoset.
    Time to texturing this sweetheart!

2w34b6b.jpg
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing I would say is the blade could do with being longer. It's a longsword after all.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that you mention it, it would look cool.
    I'm sure I can make it a bit longer without making the texture look stretched.
    I'll see what I can do about that tomorrow. :)

Thanks for the input!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the first sword better, has similar design aspects, but really improves it imo. Just like you did on the shield, similar, but improved.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the first sword better, has similar design aspects, but really improves it imo. Just like you did on the shield, similar, but improved.

I like the design of the previous sword as well, but I decided to keep my models as close to the Zelda games as possible, while still making them look more realistic, shading, proportion and texturing wise.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture mockup.
    Just testing different coloration. It's in no way final.
    If you have any better coloring ideas, please let me know!

2vwz51h.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    I'd say go for stronger colour on all regards. The gold feels kind of dull right now and the blue/red don't stand out as they should. The gold feels metal but the steel(is it steel?) feels plasticy

Great work so far, keep it up. I've been following the thread since you posted it!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique! :)

Here's an update where I've started editing the things you mentioned:

35mi1k3.jpg
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work Disting.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kodde!

This week I'll hopefully start getting this show on the road.
    I'm planning on remaking one of the Ocarina of Time areas in the UDK, with a remade Link of course. :)
    I suck at making characters though, so it should be a nice learning experience.

I can't really decide whether I should go for an outdoor or an indoor environment.
    The ones I have in mind are the Temple of Light, Gerudo Valley and Kokiri Forest.
    Do you have any ideas or suggestions? If so, I'd love to hear them!

Cheers!
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This pages updates are good. Subtle yet effective changes. Looking good.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! :)

Here's my blockout of Link.
    I'm aiming for a more realistic take on the Adult Link from Ocarina of Time.
    Also, I'd like to point out that I'm _definately_ not an experienced character artist. I've only made one serious attempt before, and it kinda turned out like crap, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

zwc1zo.jpg

2w2rokm.jpg

These are the references I've been using:
    the_Legend_of_zelda_Twilight_Princess_Link_costume_ver_01-1-03.jpg

link.jpg

I'm aware that one of them are from Twilight Princess, but they are very similar, and I really love some of the design elements on Link from Twilight. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And some basic subdiv modeling.
    This will go into Zbrush, but just because I'm deadset on proving to myself that I can do most of the things in Maya, I will.
    Most likely it will increase my work time dramatically.. but I guess it'll be a learning experience.
    In zbrush I plan mainly yo add folds and high frequency details.

2qkiate.jpg
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is looking good but one thing that I want to point out is the part of the leg where it goes into the shoes. If you look at the ocarina of time reference you will see that it´s very tight and if you look at your twilight princess reference you can still see that it´s not that baggy.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KoldIt wrote: »
    It is looking good but one thing that I want to point out is the part of the leg where it goes into the shoes. If you look at the ocarina of time reference you will see that it´s very tight and if you look at your twilight princess reference you can still see that it´s not that baggy.

Thank you. :)

The baggier pants was actually a deliberate action, seeing as I've never liked the tights on Link.
    However, if you feel they destroy the likeness with Link I will definately tighten them up. :)
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Knowing you're an excellent hard surface modeler, I can't help myself from thinking how this would turn out if you approached it from a non organic perspective :) However, I'm sure this will turn out great as well. Diggin' the metaltextures on the shield. I'll check in on you later on to see the progress
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    get that sword's blade nice and dark in the diffuse, then brighten it on the spec and it should really shine.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Karera!
    It's a real fun challenge to make something I never usually do. Will be interesting to see how I tackle Zbrush. x)

Racer, that's what I've done, but I've used the gloss map wrong. I understood how it works when we talked the other day, so I'll fix that, and probably that'll get it looking nice. :)

Here's a small update on Link:
    kcjig4.jpg

Thanks all!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having some serious problems getting the head blocked out..
    He's got a very special shape on his head, and to begin with, I haven't modeled many heads at all. :P

I know it's not from the videogame itself, but it's the best shot I could find, close up.

link-face-papercraft.jpg

Is there any chance any of you could paintover some basic topology on that picture?
    If so, I'd be very grateful. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeled his face more proper now.
    Gonna be sculpting soon. :)

jrcoys.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    I think it's really starting to come together disting! The first thing that jumped out at me about Link, however, were his fingers. In the front shot, the lengths of each finger looks odd, especially the ring finger and the pinky. I think it may also help to round the tips off a bit more :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey wrote: »
    I think it's really starting to come together disting! The first thing that jumped out at me about Link, however, were his fingers. In the front shot, the lengths of each finger looks odd, especially the ring finger and the pinky. I think it may also help to round the tips off a bit more :)

Thanks! :)
    I've tried to fix the fingers. Please let me know if they look better now.

143pdfq.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here's an uncolored version:
    1442x3q.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started adding some folds.
    Decided to make the whole thing in Maya, seeing as I don't have access to Zbrush at school at the moment.
    Will probably prove to be a fun challenge. Old school, here I come! :)

200qjbl.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    I've tried to fix the fingers. Please let me know if they look better now.
    They do look a little better, but they still need some work. Could you pose a close up of the hand straight on?
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man your hand proportions are way off right now. fingers need to be thicker and longer. also if you are going to end up rigging this guy, you may want to pose the arms in a friendlier way. as it is now in a relaxed pose his lower arms will need to be rotated 90 degrees. could prove to be problematic if you dont have alot of experiance doing characters and skinning them.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a closeup of the hand.
    About the pose, someone in my class that wants to rig and animate it told me this pose would be best for him.

331qh09.jpg

Any help with the hands is appreciated. The two areas I find most difficult are faces and hands. So far I've managed to pull off a pretty decent face, so just the hands remain. :)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The fingers have this gumby feel going along with them. As if they lack bones. One of my favorite artists, Hogarth has an amazing book on how he does hands. They are REALLY Styalized, but it makes it easy to see how the muscles and bones work in the hands. I'd recommend you looking into it, so you can give his hands and fingers energy. Thats really the only complaint I have on an overall excellent model.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the advice! Will definately check it out!
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the close up Disting. I agree with Erich, but think if you take a look at some good reference shots, you can get this cleaned up :) This article has some good points about proportions and how to draw a hand:
    http://www.anticz.com/handtut.htm

Hope this helps!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link autokey! :)
    This is really kicking my ass. Gonna post an update later.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working a bit on the hands. Please let me know what you think!

2nk7eh.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking better! Couple things:
    - Keep in mind that the ring finger is usually about the same length as the index finger, and the pinky finger should come up to the base of the third joint on the ring finger.
    - The tips still need some work. The tip of the middle finger tapers too much, and the ring finger tip is too square. The width should not taper very much from base to tip.
    - The index finger is looking pretty good! Add a little more definition for the knuckles and round out the tip a tiny bit more and that one should be good!
    - The thumb is bent a bit too far back. The joint cannot bend at all that way, but the tip of the thumb does curve up slightly, so I see what you're going for.

Nice progress! :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you autokey! Very helpful!
    The ring finger is almost the same size as the index finger, however, it's bent a bit, so it looks shorter. I can lengthen it even more if necessary. :)
    I'll work on the tips next, just got caught up in detailing the rest of him before I got the chance to do it. ^^
    I fixed the thumb up. Please let me know if it looks better.

Here's an updated version with more details. I've also rotated the arms. Took the advice I got earlier into consideration and asked the rigger, and he said it would be cool if I did so. So I did. ^^

20gh2z6.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright.. Played around a bit with the hands. I made them larger and more defined.
    I decided to go for a more stylized look.

Please let me know what you think!

dnirv4.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking much improved man! things i still see is thatthe fingers are still a little short and the index finger is a little thin. also add another knuckle to those fingers! :poly127: i only see the base knuckle and the first. for a good styleized link ref check this guys version out...

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16672
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! :)
    Haha, that's actually the reference I've been using! :) Kinda obvious that I'd be looking at that though. :P

I'll keep working them fingers and keep posting as I progress!
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could we see another closeup? Hard to tell without it :) A couple different angles would help too.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a close up of the hands as they are now:
    idgox0.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better! The edges are still a bit square. If you were to straighten them out right now, they would look like rectangles instead of cylinders :) And the thumb still looks like it is bent backwards. The joints can only bend in towards the hand, not the other way.
    handn.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover! :)
    I've straightened the thumb out now!

Currently working a bit on the face.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    I like the fingers!

Thats the style I'm talking about, would want to see more of the similar hard surface techniques on the overall modell.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Wow this is awesome how it all started out with the shield :) Keep it up, im not much of a character modeler so no crits from me!
  • KoldIt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey wrote: »
    Looking much better! The edges are still a bit square. If you were to straighten them out right now, they would look like rectangles instead of cylinders :) And the thumb still looks like it is bent backwards. The joints can only bend in towards the hand, not the other way.
    handn.jpg

Then wtf is wrong with my thumbO.o

Looking great man keep up the good job, looking forward to seeing the finished thing:)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha Koldlt, my thumb goes a bit backwards too, but I think he meant thumbs in general, and I'm going for a general anatomy. :)
    Thanks for the compliment!

Here's a small update.
    Mainly been working on the face. Trying to make it look less manga-like.
    2retctz.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KoldIt wrote: »
    Then wtf is wrong with my thumbO.o

Looking great man keep up the good job, looking forward to seeing the finished thing:)
    Haha, I was going to add in that the thumb curves up at the tip, but it sounded too confusing with the rest of what I was saying :) I just meant from the wrist to the last joint in the thumb, it should be a straight line if it's fully extended. Then, slightly past the joint, the thumb curves :) Of course, on the underside, the curve starts right at the joint. But on the knuckle side, it doesn't really start until the cuticle :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera wrote: »
    I like the fingers!

Thats the style I'm talking about, would want to see more of the similar hard surface techniques on the overall modell.

I completely understand what style you mean, but I'm having a hard time applying it to the overall model.
    Gonna play around with it.