Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    BreaK- wrote: »
    2nd bluescreen when starting marmoset up. I have a sneaky suspicion something maybe conflicting with it?! Are there any know issues?

are you sure your hardware isn't to blame? only times i had machines bluescreening when running 3D software the hardware was always at fault (weak powersupply/defective RAM/motherboard that couldn't handle the system components at full load). that beep might also be an indicator.
  • BreaK-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    are you sure your hardware isn't to blame? only times i had machines bluescreening when running 3D software the hardware was always at fault (weak powersupply/defective RAM/motherboard that couldn't handle the system components at full load). that beep might also be an indicator.

Hmmm...I'm not sure. Runs Maya 2011/CS5 and Zbrush simultaneously without problems.

Specs are:

Ram - 6GB Corsair Dominator
    Motherboard - Asus P6TD Delux.
    PSU - Corsair 850w

Systems fairly new. (9 Months old) and doesn't have a problem running anything else. Infact that was my first ever bluescreen on this rig.

Im going to keep pluggin away though, the program is brilliant.
  • GetAwesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GetAwesome polycounter lvl 14
    @Kudagras - Access violation errors are typically driver related, especially on rigs with an ATI card. Try updating your drivers and that should fix the problem.
  • EmJaeR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmJaeR polycounter lvl 10
    Fixed my problem it was the field of view.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Does anyone know of a way to import vertex animation? What I'm interested in doing is dynamically simulating something in Maya and then viewing a baked version of the simulation in Toolbag.

Also, I really like the results of the image based lighting, but I hope down the line there will be some way to simulate a day/night cycle where the sun's azimuth can be adjusted.
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garagarape polycounter lvl 9
    Hi there,

I recently bought a Marmoset Toolbag licence.
    Really like to play with the post effects!

I had a problem with overlaped uvs and read the old and new thread's posts
    about displaying correctly Normal maps.
    I tried Swizzling, moving half the uvs (u +1) before baking, checked the .obj's
    normals, but found nothing wrong about it.
    I saw the tutorial about erasing the middle seam in the old forum;
    but if you look at the screen shot down there, you will notice that half the model
    receives light as if the normal map was flipped.

If someone knows how to get rid of this problem, that would be great.
    The "object space" trial is done with a "tangent space" map (I know, this is stupid...).
    Most of the artists posting here use "tangent space", I wonder how they managed
    to display mirrored normals correctly.

Marmoset_NM.jpg
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garagarape polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, I found out what was wrong by comparing 3dcoat and Xnormal
    baking result. The green channel is different in both. I just had to
    invert it, and the problem was solved.
    A more complicated swizzling, like pasting red in alpha or something
    like that wasn't necessary.

weird_stuff11.jpg
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Might want to update your video drivers from the official site of your graphics card (IE: Nvidia/ATI)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why I would have needed to flip my red and blue channel to have my normals display in marmoset correctly? I did a default cast out of 3ds max. I was pretty sure that the old marmoset I only needed to flip the green.

hmm...

Just thought that was weird,
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why I would have needed to flip my red and blue channel to have my normals display in marmoset correctly? I did a default cast out of 3ds max. I was pretty sure that the old marmoset I only needed to flip the green.

hmm...

Just thought that was weird,

You shouldn't have to flip anything but the green for normals to render correctly.
    Maybe its worth double checking your max swizzle settings and also the ones in marmoset? (View> Normal Maps)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy,
    yeah that is what I figured... I checked the swizzle setting for Marmoset and what they were rendering out as from max. And everything seems to be correct.
    Red is X Green is Y Blue is Z

My normal map looks normal, though the green channel looks like it needs to be flipped. Though that is the only channel that didn't need it when in marmoset.
    I checked my uv's and I checked my export settings... everything seems to be fine.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    If you wanted to post the normal map, i would be happy to check it out this end to see if it renders correctly. :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man! When I get home I will throw up an obj and my normal map and let you check it out. Thanks btw!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sent it to your email ;) having issues throwing it up on my site for download.
    Been up for a good long while... bout to take a nap. I hope it is not something stupid I just overlooked. Once again thanks man.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    hmm.
    When i flip the green, everything looks as it should :/
    Could you post a pic of what you are getting in Marmoset?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... yeah here is the issue with mine.
    swear I am using the same files I sent you :/

marmosetissue.jpg
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thats really odd. This is what i get
    marmoset_Swizzle.jpg

Maybe a reinstall of marmoset would be an idea?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol. Well good to know that it is not just me being retarded with the way I cast. Well I need to have this project done asap... so I guess I will just leave it on inverting the red and blue. I will see about reinstalling here in a week or so.

I really appreciate your help man. At least I know it is Marmoset...

Cheers!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    No worries!

Sorry that I couldn't be much more help :/
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Bought a license a couple of days back after loving the Trial version, worked fine except for the Chromatic Aberattion, did want to try it so upgraded my ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 drivers to see if that worked.

Really regret that now, as now all of it looks like this :

screenshot1.jpg

Not really what I was going for as you can see (no shadows, all of it looks like crap), left is in the editor, right is a screenshot.

Can anyone help me out, to try and get this back to normal?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    TheDarkKnight presents "The Really Dark Knight"? :P

Have you tried rolling back the drivers?
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    I think I'm having the same issue as TheDarkKnight. My editor looks like this

InEditor.jpg?t=1300786927

but my F12 screenshot renders come out like this

Render1.jpg?t=1300787012

When I first installed Marmoset I kept getting the "Access Violation" error we so often get with out of date ATI drivers .. so I updated my drivers to the latest Feb version and Marmoset stopped crashing but now I get this weird thing. I'm new to Marmoset so any ideas will help.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight presents "The Really Dark Knight"? :P

Have you tried rolling back the drivers?

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately that option is greyed out in the Device Manager / properties screen
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    I guess the only thing to do is uninstall the drivers through the control panel and then reinstall the older version.
    Driversweeper is pretty sweet and removing all traces of graphics drivers, so you may want to check it out. :)
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    It does seem like the latest ATI driver release is causing some problems, we've been hearing this quite a bit lately. We'll look into it and see if there's something we can do on our end to help.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Have looked into getting a nice Nvidia card before, maybe this is a good time to switch, if I can find a good one for a nice price
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    I love this program so far, but I can't find anything pertaining to setting up tiling textures. Any ideas?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks!

Have looked into getting a nice Nvidia card before, maybe this is a good time to switch, if I can find a good one for a nice price

I have a GTX 460 and couldn't be happier with it :)
    Cheap too!
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks metalliandy, seems like a pretty cool card, might have to take a look for that tomorrow, I can swap RAM memory sticks, should be able to put in a videocard.

Looking forward to using Marmoset like it's supposed to (again).
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    Noia wrote: »
    I love this program so far, but I can't find anything pertaining to setting up tiling textures. Any ideas?

Textures should all tile just fine in marmoset - you just need to set up your UV coordinates on the model for it.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Got to say I just downloaded again, and im gonna buy. Marmosets lighting is damn awesome, its great for have preset light sets you can flick between to get your model working across different lighting conditions.

Any plans to make the Specular Fresnel magnitude mappable. It pretty tough making mixed material models at the moment. if you have conductive and dialectric materials on the same texture sheet your screwed. Also a seperate map slot for gloss would be great :)

screenshot12a.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    ^^
    Second separate map slot for gloss.

One other thing that would be cool is if there where a way to get the 3ds max camera into toolbag, since when I do presentation sheets it would be nice to have the same view.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    It would be awesome if we had an extra slot for a packed texture, that could have each channel assigned to a user definable texture (Disp./Gloss/Transparency etc. :)
    Currently, i find that its awkward to save the correct alpha textures when working on a PSD with multiple alpha channels and multiple maps.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Jeff, any word on .fbx animation import into Marmoset yet?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gloss goes in spec alpha guys, this has been here since the first commercial release.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New card arrived today, works like a charm, Marmoset is looking like it's supposed to again aswell

screenshot1.jpg
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Gloss goes in spec alpha guys, this has been here since the first commercial release.
    Yea :)
    What i meant was it would be nice to have the secondary textures in a separate slot in addition to the current system as a time saver when saving textures out. :)
    Generally, when using gloss for example, i very rarely make iterations and its a bit of a pain to save the Spec out using an action, reopen the spec in PS, paste the gloss, resave the spec. . It would be much faster for me personally if i could pack a texture with Gloss/Disp/etc. and then just copy the iterations in there :)
    New card arrived today, works like a charm, Marmoset is looking like it's supposed to again aswell

Nice man :D
    What card did you get in the end?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

people are aware of this, were just saying it would be more artist friendly to separate them. Its not like optimisation is such a critical thing when displaying solitary models.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    people are aware of this, were just saying it would be more artist friendly to separate them. Its not like optimisation is such a critical thing when displaying solitary models.

It wouldnt be any more expensive to have a separate texture anyway, as having RGBA costs the same as having 2x RGB :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I just misread what you were saying.

I know from working with 8ml, that I had some similar requests for extra slots, but they were shot down due to running out of texture calls on some hardware. It wasn't a matter of being "slow" but just that some older cards couldn't do it at all. I bet that plays into the choice to do it the way it is now.

Because of the way the IBL works, the shader is running a lot more texture calls than you would think. So some cards that can only do 16, you'll max it out by having too many slots. Sticking something in the alpha doesn't require an extra texture call. - From how I understand it.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Ah, i didnt realise that.

I wonder if there is a way to detect the card and then enable/disable the extra slot automatically if the detected card is/isnt powerful enough?

Anyway, i did a little mock up of the extra texture slot to show what i mean a little clearer :)
    Extra_Slot.jpg
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice man :D
    What card did you get in the end?

GTX460 Top 1GB, found one for a nice price, couldnt resist after reading some reviews and benchmarks, thanks again
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I just misread what you were saying.

I know from working with 8ml, that I had some similar requests for extra slots, but they were shot down due to running out of texture calls on some hardware. It wasn't a matter of being "slow" but just that some older cards couldn't do it at all. I bet that plays into the choice to do it the way it is now.

Because of the way the IBL works, the shader is running a lot more texture calls than you would think. So some cards that can only do 16, you'll max it out by having too many slots. Sticking something in the alpha doesn't require an extra texture call. - From how I understand it.

Cheers, that makes alot of sense. Its a shame theres no way of setting the 7 maps you want to use. I'd gladly ditch translucency, emissive, and detail.

Andy: It may also be nice if you could supply a greyscale map and Marmoset would handle loading it into the alpha for you. So its tranparent to the user and add no extra texture calls. this way so far as the user is concerned they have seperate maps for each thing. but in reality its being stored in the alpha internally.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    GTX460 Top 1GB, found one for a nice price, couldnt resist after reading some reviews and benchmarks, thanks again

Oh cool :) NP man!
    r_fletch_r wrote: »

Andy: It may also be nice if you could supply a greyscale map and Marmoset would handle loading it into the alpha for you. So its tranparent to the user and add no extra texture calls. this way so far as the user is concerned they have seperate maps for each thing. but in reality its being stored in the alpha internally.
    Yea i think this might be an idea also :)
    Hopefully the 8ML guys will fix us up with something
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Marmoset doesn't support animated UVs, does it? I need to do some animated textures for my brawl entry, and don't want to use udk if I don't have to. I like marmoset too much. :)
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was working on retopo-ing a high-res sculpt, doing a quick test bake inbetween to see how it bakes
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening :

problem.jpg

Left Object Space Normals Checked, on the right it's not.
    Baked using xNormal with the Tangent space box checked in the normal map settings

Here's a shot of my map :

map.jpg
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any clue when another update will be released? Maybe with a xyz widget for object moving in the world space ? The code is there for the light movement would it be hard to throw it onto objects too?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Was working on retopo-ing a high-res sculpt, doing a quick test bake inbetween to see how it bakes
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening :

problem.jpg

Left Object Space Normals Checked, on the right it's not.
    Baked using xNormal with the Tangent space box checked in the normal map settings

Here's a shot of my map :

map.jpg

What were the swizzle setting in xNormal? It should be X+Y+Z+ for marmoset. Have you tried flipping the green channel?