Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

Replies

• jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    Racer445 wrote: »
    maybe this new way is correct, maybe i'm just doing it wrong again, but all i know is this new method forces gloss maps to be very low contrast unless you want major changes.

Yea, that is kind of the intention. Black in your gloss map should always map to the "lowest" sharpness possible. White should map to the highest possible (as set in your material with the specular sharpness slider). If your gloss maps seem washed out then I *suspect* that it's because you aren't really after large differences in specular sharpness after all.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Damn, this tool is awesome, it makes old crappy models look ok without much effort:

scrapedasari-1284663450256.jpg

I can't wait to have something worthy to try it out :)
  • ianucci
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    I figured out what I've been doing wrong with the refractive shader. The diffuse and specular channels alphas are for transparency, I'd assumed the specular alpha was still for gloss.

I've discovered now though that this material doesn't seem to be affected at all by dynamic lights. The fresnel slider also doesnt seem to do anything.

The bug fixed specular and gloss channels make a lot more sense now. Normals seem too look better now too. :thumbup:
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    ive gotten very slow performance out of the new toolbag. When i open it everything in my machine just drags! Is there soemthing i could try to fix it?

I am running 1.02.

My specs are
    Windows 7
    AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor 2.80 GHz
    6 GB
    64 bit
    NVidia Ge 9100
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    raul wrote: »
    ive gotten very slow performance out of the new toolbag. When i open it everything in my machine just drags! Is there soemthing i could try to fix it?

I am running 1.02.

So, version 1.0 or 1.01 ran fine, but 1.02 is slow?

Check video drivers, as always. Also, does your machine "drag" if the toolbag window is minimized?
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Does anyone know why the alpha doesn't seem to be working when taking screenshots (using the toolset function F12) ? It's such a shame that I can't get it working, the screenshot function is otherwise awesome.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    chrisradsby, alhpa shows up fine in screenshots for me.

So I just bought the full version, great tool, love all the new additions (compared to the first free release).

I've been trying to do some turn-table animations of some of my models, but I actually still get better results with FRAPS than with the integrated video capture tool you added, which is just way too slow unfortunatly (even FRAPS isn't ideal, get small freezes in the output video).
    Have you guys considered having an option to save out a series of images of the animation instead? That would be cool to get a perfect no-slow-down video.
  • mwgrafx
    Offline / Send Message
    mwgrafx polycounter lvl 17
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here is a model I'm creating for the gameartisans contest ComicCon. I'm creating Venom with a cartoon/toy style

1-10.gif

I am having problems when importing it into Marmoset toolbag. In 3DC it looks great but when I get it into toolbag I get nasty seams. See image below. Any ideas why? Any help would be appreciated.....

NastySeams20copy.jpg
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Is the Green channel (Y) flipped incorrectly in Marmoset by any chance?
  • mwgrafx
    Offline / Send Message
    mwgrafx polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks metalliandy! That did the trick.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    :)
    Glad it worked!
  • dregoloth
    whenever I try to start up marmoset on my desktop I get an error message;
    error: access violation at 0x69a994f4 (tried to read from 0x23a5b910),
    program terminated.

it works fine on my laptop, and both are running windows 7 64bit, the only difference being I have home premium on my desktop and professional on my laptop.

any suggestions?
  • monkeyscience
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    Drivers, drivers, drivers. Can you send your system specs and error logs (.log files from the toolbag directory) to toolbag [at] 8monkeylabs [dot] com?
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Just tried the newest release.. such a badass engine. Really great stuff. Keep it up.
  • Gorrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Gorrum polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, this is realy awesome tool, but I've faced small prodlem...
    When I import .mesh file, skeleton is offset to mesh (... or mesh is offset to skeleton)
    Why?

p.s. Skeleton animation works well.
  • Gorrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Gorrum polycounter lvl 6
    When I import .mesh file, skeleton is offset to mesh (... or mesh is offset to skeleton)
    Why? :poly105:

• Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the great app :)

There seams to be a problem tough.

When i try to invert any of the channels in the normal map nothing happends, hope some other can confirm this.

Using Toolbag 1.02
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    GetAwesome polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the great app :)

There seams to be a problem tough.

When i try to invert any of the channels in the normal map nothing happends, hope some other can confirm this.

Using Toolbag 1.02

Just curious, are you making sure to click 'apply' after modifying your normal map coordinates?

I only ask because I have made that mistake way too many times
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    getawesome13: Typical :)
    I am sure i was pressing it, but works now, so just ignore me xD
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    Gorrum wrote: »
    Why? :poly105:

1) Do any mesh chunks imported with the .mesh file not have vertex weighting? If you're using the animation functionality in Toolbag, all mesh chunks in your .mesh will need to have vertex weighting.

2) Is the 'Vertex Skinning' check-box enabled on all materials?

3) Was your .mesh and .rig file exported in the bind pose? It shouldn't completely break if you exported out of the bind pose, but you may experience some unexpected results.

If one of those does not solve your problems, the fastest way to debug this will be for us to take a peek at your working files. Send them to: toolbag@8monkeylabs.com

Thanks!
  • Ikosan
    Hi, is there a way to use cube maps on a per material basis so that i can use them for eye reflections and fake rim lights?
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikosan wrote: »
    Hi, is there a way to use cube maps on a per material basis so that i can use them for eye reflections and fake rim lights?

Not at this time, no.

As an aside, I'm curious, how many people here have direct3d 11 compatible cards/systems? (That would be Radeon 5000 series or GeForce 400 series (or newer), running windows vista or 7). We are considering adding some tessellation and displacement mapping features to toolbag that this hardware makes possible. Any interest?
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I'm trying to load the exporter plugin in Maya 2010 64bit on Vista 64 bit and getting the following:

"Error: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
    (stoogeExport_Release2010_64bit) //" in the script editor line.

Worked fine on my 32 bit XP partition. I can load and unload other plugins without issue.

Any ideas?

Really nice tool by the way! :)
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Okay so I get this weird errors, it has to do with alphas again.
    Close-up shots are fine using the screenshot-function, however the alphas doesn't work for a full-body shot when the camera is not as close.

Any ideas why? Weird indeed.
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Will we be able to go above 4096 for screen shots? I put 8192 in there and crashed.
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    JMYoung wrote: »
    I'm trying to load the exporter plugin in Maya 2010 64bit on Vista 64 bit and getting the following:

"Error: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
    (stoogeExport_Release2010_64bit)

Try installing this on your vista 64 partition:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks wrote: »
    Will we be able to go above 4096 for screen shots? I put 8192 in there and crashed.

We put 4096 in there as it seemed the "safe" limit for most cards. Going above that and such a massive color buffer is likely fail to allocate, even if your card in theory supports it (and many do). If 8192 crashes, it probably means you are out of video memory space to allocate that enormous color buffer (and it's a big one, 8192x8192 color & depth is 512 MB - and much more than that if AA is on) . You may have more luck with some values between 4096 and 8192.
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    My alphas don't work(show up with no alpha whatsoever) with the screenshot tool using alpha to coverage, but do seem to work fine when using alpha testing. 9800gt with latest driver installed on xp 32 bit.
  • frwanque
    Offline / Send Message
    frwanque polycounter lvl 6
    IS it possible to do an animation render of the turntable in the Marmoset engine?
  • LoJack
    Offline / Send Message
    LoJack polycounter lvl 12
    First off, really great job with your engine 8 Monkey guys! I was a little hesitant on buying it before playing with it, now I'm sure that I will once I have the expendable cash.
    I have a question though if someone could help. When I have object space normals on for this old thing i was playing with, everything looks good, but place-able lights only affect the left side of the scene and the environment lighting only seems to work correctly when angled towards the left as well.
    Could be something I did wrong, but if anyone could shed some light on it I'd appreciate it.
    sdthalflights.jpg
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    @JMYoung - While alpha testing should work just fine, Alpha blending rendering correctly to the alpha channel of Toolbag screenshots is not currently supported.

@frwanque - If you're running version 1.02, you can use the Video Output features found on the 'File' menu tab. For an overview of that process, check out the ToolbagUserManual.pdf included in your Toolbag installation.

@LoJack - It's a possibility that you may have uncovered a dynamic light/object space normals bug, however, from your description of the problem it sounds like bad normals on your mesh. Which sky environment are you using? Does the mesh get correctly lit when using the PhongSimpleEnvironment(no normal map or spec)?

Also, do make sure your normals map is actually Object Space if you've enabled object space normals in the material.
  • beartraps
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Marmoset seems to ignore specular if alpha is transparent and I can't find a way to change that. I want to have a transparency with specular, is there a way to do this?

If reflection support is in the next upgrade and I can sort out this alpha specular problem I'll definitely buy this.

edit: I sifted through the thread and saw that ianucci was having similar problems that I was having with the alpha spec. I'll try some of the suggestions and see if that helps. Also, an OSX version would be amazing!

another edit:

There seems to be some confusion, see red highlighted areas:

Originally Posted by bloodmoon
    A another question about Alphas. Can I get partial transparency like 50%? For making transparent glas/plastic and stuff? All I've gotten so far is the object either visible or hidden.

If you want to get some good semi-transparent glass/plastic materials, I'd recommend using the ComplexRefraction channel model. You can use the alpha channel of the Spec map to add fancy, detailed, varying levels of transparency to your hearts content.

There are technical limitations with using alpha blend modes on any other material channel models (Phong, Aniso, etc...). You won't get proper sorting against the skybox, but alpha blending should work against other 3d geometry.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianucci
    Is it possible to get specular highlights and reflections with the complex refraction shader?

Also, does the gloss channel function differently to other renderers? I seem to have trouble getting the results I would have expected.

Specular is possible with the refraction shader.

The gloss channel (I assume you realize its the alpha channel of the spec map) works like so: white is "sharpest" specular, black is "fuzziest" specular, with the sharpness limit determined by your material setting for specular sharpness.

----

So for the refraction shader: does the alpha channel of the spec control gloss or transparency?
  • frwanque
    Offline / Send Message
    frwanque polycounter lvl 6
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Checking out the demo version now, and just have two problems.

One, shadowing isn't working right, it's still as messed up and screwy as it was before 1.0. The shadows are kinda there, but not really.

And two, the normals of my character seen here, are REALLY weak. They barely show any difference between no normals, and with normals.

If we can get these two things ironed out, I'm buying me a copy. Thanks for any help.

screenshot0y.jpg
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps wrote: »

So for the refraction shader: does the alpha channel of the spec control gloss or transparency?

Great question. We do apologize for any confusion earlier. To clarify, the ComplexRefraction shader follows a different rule-set than the rest of the Shader models. There is no "gloss" map available for the ComplexRefraction model.

In the refraction shader ONLY, the Alpha of the spec map controls transparency.
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    Checking out the demo version now, and just have two problems.

One, shadowing isn't working right, it's still as messed up and screwy as it was before 1.0. The shadows are kinda there, but not really.

And two, the normals of my character seen here, are REALLY weak. They barely show any difference between no normals, and with normals.

It appears you may be using an ambient lighting environment, which should have no shadows. Which Sky Environment do you have selected in your lighting settings?
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I think that might have been the issue, getawesome. I put on the sunny environment, and it gave some decent shadows, but now there's ugly squares showing up randomly throughout the surface.

Also, the normals are still really weak. Any thoughts on that?

[EDIT] I KNOW I'm not the only one with that problem, so here's how I fixed it.

Dropped the scale a massive amount, and used FBX instead of obj. For whatever reason I guess marmoset can't display normal maps when the scale is too large (In my case MASSIVELY too large). Looks a lot better now, and I'll probably end up buying it after some attempts at tweaking the settings for better results.
  • LoJack
    Offline / Send Message
    LoJack polycounter lvl 12
    @getawesome13

Thanks buddy, I looked over it more and tested with other things and yeah the problem was on my end, normals werent object space lol. :P

Still love the engine.
  • oneigekko
    another...

You can see the actual models and sculpts via my blog as well.
    www.downinfront-josh.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone

Josh Robinson
    Lead Artist - Lucas Film
  • oneigekko
    Hello everyone,

I don't actually create that many real time models so I've never posted on here. I did want to share a couple models of mine that I've recently tossed into the engine however. Hope you enjoy.

Huge thanks to the developers. This is a great way to display models.

You can see the actual models and sculpts via my blog as well.
    www.downinfront-josh.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone

Josh Robinson
    Lead Artist - Lucas Film
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love Marmo v1, but that is a huge bummer, I just ran into this issue myself.

Yea, it's starting to look like alpha-to-coverage is just not supported in screenshot mode (this is a bug). Given how things work and thinking about it now, this isn't really a surprise :-/ We'll put it on the list for fixes to make for the next release. In the meantime, I would bet that turning alpha to coverage off and just using regular blending well "fix" the issue for the time being.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    First off I have to say that I'm loving marmoset toolbag so far. Today was the first time I got to use it. It's really easy to use and makes it a snap to put together a realtime showcase. I just had one question so far which is... on your site (here) in the tool bag section it says this:
    Material settings and features include among other things: dynamic phong light, skybox lighting, anisotropic lighting, skin diffusion, refraction, reflection, blending, layered texturing, parallax, specular masks, specular sharpness, detail normal maps, and more. Toolbag is set to be publicly released soon as a free tool for the art community.

I wasn't able to find anything to do with reflection. I kept looking for some sort of cube map section, I read through the manual pdf and wasn't able to find anything on reflection either. Is reflection a feature that hasn't been implemented yet? If so is there an ETA on reflections being added into toolbag?

Thanks,

-artquest
  • jeffdr
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest wrote: »
    I wasn't able to find anything to do with reflection.

"Reflection" there refers only to environment mapping. A full scene reflection would be really cool though ;-)
  • catstyle
    does the manual pdf not come with the trial version?
  • GetAwesome
    Offline / Send Message
    @catstyle - Yes, the ToolbagUserManual.pdf is included in the trial version.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    jeffdr wrote: »
    "Reflection" there refers only to environment mapping. A full scene reflection would be really cool though ;-)

So to clarify, if I want the skybox to show up in reflections on my characters eyes, this is not supported currently? Or when referring to "full scene reflection" do you mean that other imported mesh objects will not show up in reflections?
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest: I think the skybox does reflect, but other meshes in the scene will not.
  • CavemanLog
    Hey guys,

First off, I want to compliment 8 Monkey Labs for this awesome tool. I have just started using but ran into an issue with the lighting. I'm not if someone on here can help me with it. My model shows up in the viewport fine, even with a snapshot IF I use the sky lighting.

WithSkyLighting.JPG

As soon as I create point/spot lights, faces behind her bandana and her eyelids show up.
    WithCustomLighting.JPG

This only happens if the lights are actually affecting the model. Neither of these are snapshot, just screen grabs from the view port. The snapshots still show the same issue though.

Other than that I'm loving this tool and hope this can be resolved so I can buy my copy. Thanks!!
  • IanTJamison
    Hey all.... I am unsure if anyone has had or having this issue, but it is in regards to Downloading the tool from the 8monkeylabs site. I tried initially to download the software using Mozilla Firefox *(all on Win7 x64).... the download would just idle at 'Starting Up"..... never actually downloaded.

FIX - I ended up using a different web browser (Google Chrome) to download the tool, and it was instantly successful.

- So thought that i would throw that out there in case anyone had or has same issues....

Thanks -

Ian T Jamison
  • womball
    Any chance for colored shadows, more shadow controls, and 8 bit alphas that have anti-aliasing and ultra fine hairs? Also when I used the turntable, I got these weird hiddcups in the turnaround animations. Not a clear loop which is what I wanted for demonstrating the model. An ansitrophic shader for hair would be great too. Something that does this but with much less setup. http://stephenjameson.com/tutorials/anisotropic-shader-for-hair/