Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Treythepunkid

Replies

• Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The belt looks the way I imagined it should. I like it so much it would be cool if there was more of it wrapped around there somehow. Not a big deal since people don't see handle much anyways, though.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the end seems a little abrupt on the handle?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Psyke wrote: »
    like so?
    Yes, looks good. Like I said, seeing it in-game makes all the difference, so this is all an approximation, but to my color sense this looks good.
  • JigglesMcGee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For accuracy's sake, I wouldn't do the blue croc. Considering the aborigines make their paints from natural stuff, and blue isn't really a colour they can "make".
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For accuracy's sake, I wouldn't do the blue croc. Considering the aborigines make their paints from natural stuff, and blue isn't really a colour they can "make".

True, true. Even though Team Fortress 2 is very unrealistic I understand your point and will probably be going with the brownish green.

Btw, i have been hard at work on this belts UV but its taking allot longer than i would like. Sorry.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Blue pigment can be made naturally, it just turns out more of a grayish-blue color than artificially made pigments. Plus it's TF2, you can prety much do whatever and find a way to justify it.
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, well work on the Toothache is going a bit slow. I have finished up the UV for the belt only to realize that i have to redo the entire texture to get a good resolution on the gator skin on the belt.

To make it seem like i have done something i decided to fix up and do the final touch on the phong settings for the Didgeri-Die. Enjoy!

didgeridie023.jpg

didgeridie024.jpg
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be frank, i hated how i had made the belt. The buckle was too flat, and the belt itself was way too small.

As seen in this photo.
    toothache15.jpg

SOOOOOOOO, i toke it upon myself to make it better. By making the buckle a separate item i was able to bevel the edges and make it more buckle-like.

I was also able to double the size of the belt, making it in proportion.

toothache16.jpg

I think it looks better, but what do YOU think?
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The buckle looks a little thin and puny. Bulk it up a good amount!
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update, UVed, AO bake, and base textured the buckle.

toothache17.jpg
    Norron wrote: »
    The buckle looks a little thin and puny. Bulk it up a good amount!

Could you tell me how you would beef it up? I wanted a simple standard belt buckle, but if you can tell me how it should be buffed i will see how it looks.
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thicker width to the belt. maybe a cracked brown texture instead of green
  • komfyrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To make it seem more sturdy, I think you could make the buckle wider, as in bigger and flatter. Then it will probably look more tf2-ish too.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also make the buckle's prong larger in general. There's too much space between it and the belt holes.
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does this look better?

*ignore texture for now, still working on it*
    toothache18.jpg
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better, but tone down the scales
  • Viceroy Bubbles
    This looks really awesome. One thing tho, in your first post you called your new rifle the "didger-die" but i think you meant the "didgeri-die"
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Yeahhh update. Texture time!!!

didgeridie015.jpg

didgeridie014.jpg

Sure some of the edges normals are hard where they should be soft, and some of the seems are visible (Thanks to the baked AO) but its still a WIP so bear with me.

Amazing, I really like this, although the handle needs to be more themed because it looks a little plain although nice overall
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, almost done with the Toothache.

toothache07.jpg

Ingame

toothache06.jpg

Still working on a cool abo design that will be on the rock.

Deform the Rock on the top maybe? it looks a little too perfect for a made from scraps weapon, nice idea though
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry for the delay in the melee weapon. My melee weapon turned out to be VERY tedious and is taking alot longer than i wanted. In the mean time here is what the final version of the rifle will most likely look like. Im still going to go in and fix up those out lines of the tribal characters and maybe add more dots and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_svuDDWz7yo

Please ignore the sound. Again i thank Sparkwire for the animations and rigging, couldn't have done it without him!

Looks fantastic!!! love it, what program are you using btw? I'd like to be able to animate my items too to make them stand out more!
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    this is looking badass man. You had me rolling with the dying sounds. Anyways, I'm not feeling the straps as much either. I suggest putting a strap piece directly behind all the teeth so that it looks like the teeth are attached to the strap piece and not the rock. Then you could run 5-6 straps on the side of the rock from the "strap piece." It will minimize the clutter you'll be able to make larger buckles. Do the straps have ao?
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really awesome. One thing tho, in your first post you called your new rifle the "didger-die" but i think you meant the "didgeri-die"

Thanks for that, changed it!

Thanks uberphoenix, i think Sparkwire (My guy who did the animations) uses 3DS Max.

Btw here is a update on the Toothache, INGAME.

toothache19.jpg

Really not liking the croc skin, i will probably go for something more hand drawn.

Now im having a small problem guys involving my normal map. So i have my phong mask in my Alpha channel of the base texture. I tried applying the normal map with no luck, but when i removed the phong mask command out of my VMT it started to show my normal map but of course it stopped using my phong mask. I got a tip from google saying that i need to put the phong mask in the alpha of my normal map which i did, nothing happened.

Is there something im missing? I would really like to give this belt a nice croc skin texture while also having it nice and shiny.

Any help would be appreciated.

spetch wrote: »
    this is looking badass man. You had me rolling with the dying sounds. Anyways, I'm not feeling the straps as much either. I suggest putting a strap piece directly behind all the teeth so that it looks like the teeth are attached to the strap piece and not the rock. Then you could run 5-6 straps on the side of the rock from the "strap piece." It will minimize the clutter you'll be able to make larger buckles. Do the straps have ao?

Thanks man!

With your idea, i based each tooth strap off those shark tooth necklaces you can get. I didn't want the teeth or straps to be too much of a visual distraction. The theme is Aboriginal and i wanted the rock to be the main focus, or more or less the crocodile drawing on the rock.

"Then you could run 5-6 straps on the side of the rock from the strap piece."
    I think i see what you mean, like remove the buckles completely so that we have a strip on the front edge that has the teeth on it that then has 6-5 straps attached to IT looping around to the other side?

And yes, they do have a baked AO in the texture.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't remember any VMT commands, but I'd suggest you check the VMT file of something that already has both the alpha handled shine and a normal map, like the ambassador, and see what you're missing.
  • Von Krieger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason the croc design looks... backwards. My eyes keep telling me it ought to be flipped horizontally, with the main part of the croc closer to the wielder, while the tail points away.
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Svdl, a little look at the Ambassador VMT and some common sense later i noticed that i could change "$basemapalphaphongmask" to "$bumpmapalphaphongmask" and it fixed everything.

toothache20.jpg

Added some detail to the rock (can't see it in this photo) and the wood grains of the handle. I think the problem i'm having with the croc skin is the white outline of each scale is not very visible due to the brown overlay. I will try hand drawing a white outline over top of the original texture.

I also edited the phong mask, making the belt and metal caps on the teeth more shiny and the rock ALOT less shiny.
    For some reason the croc design looks... backwards. My eyes keep telling me it ought to be flipped horizontally, with the main part of the croc closer to the wielder, while the tail points away.

Like so?
    toothache21.jpg
  • komfyrion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice in the first picture, but the croc did not fit the other way..
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just a little update.

Can you spot the diffrence in these two photos?

toothachelowpoly.jpgtoothachehighpoly.jpg

The only difference in these two photos is that that left photo is about 2,000 triangles lower than the right.

I have started to optimize the mesh!!

komfyrion wrote: »
    Looks nice in the first picture, but the croc did not fit the other way..

I think you meant to say "Does" not fit, and i have to agree with you. The way i have done the dotted pattern makes it flow nicely with the tail up croc pattern. The opposite facing pattern doesn't fit well with the wavy dots.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice phong. It's kind of funny that your melee is so intensive a project where most folks just threw in a normal knife or something.

You have high creativity standards!
  • Von Krieger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like so?
    toothache21.jpg

Not quite. Needs a vertical flip, that left/right arrangement, but with the head on the bottom and the tail on the top.
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a couple of hours i have even further optimized the mesh bringing the triangle count down another 1000 bringing the totally mesh count into the 8,000 mark.

Yaaaahhh!!

Here is what the mesh looks like now. Not that there is much difference.
    toothache22.jpg

Khthon wrote: »
    Nice phong. It's kind of funny that your melee is so intensive a project where most folks just threw in a normal knife or something.

You have high creativity standards!

Thanks man, I have too noticed that allot of people are just throwing together some sort of knife. While it fits there theme and looks very nice in some cases, i wanted to make something kinda crazy to fit with the TF2 theme while also fitting my Aboriginal theme.
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a very small update.

toothache23.jpg

I am now using a small 512x512 texture with the Toothache, aside from the slight pixelation of the rock (Which is already fixed in the optimized mesh) it looks the same as the 1024x1024.

Still working on the final texture, making sure it looks nice, will update soon with optimized mesh with final texture. Then i will do the worldmodel and then onto the hat!
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates.

When I make 3D models and maps some times I will work on a model/map so much that i just become sick of it and decide to trash it. To prevent this from happening it have found it very helpful to take a break from a model and work on something fresh and new.

That being said i have been working on Eyelander replacement.

The Demomans Bagpipes

bagpipesviews01.jpg

hl22010061919132235.png

Youtube video of Jigglebones.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHSI0CQIe_A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHSI0CQIe_A[/ame]

Download here!
    bagpipepromo.png

Now that i am done with this, i can move onto finishing the Toothache. AWAY I GO.
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you added custom sounds for when you hit things...or idle sounds to replace the "heads" lines then I would consider downloading (I don't download replacements)
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    If you added custom sounds for when you hit things...or idle sounds to replace the "heads" lines then I would consider downloading (I don't download replacements)

I believe that the Eyelander shares the same hit noise as the Skullcutter so you if you where to replace the Eyelander with the Bagpipes you would hear a bagpipe sound everytime you use the Skullcutter and vice versa.

But anyway i am working on a sound replacement that i will update it later with.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome man. Saw it on the facepunch thread.
  • Ya Mum Nz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    get a move on trey the competition is almost over
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya Mum Nz wrote: »
    get a move on trey the competition is almost over

Not exactly...

Mission ends in one month.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not exactly...

Mission ends in one month.

uhm... you might wanna check your calender there Six, cause see there's this little link at the top of the page that's disagreeing with you rather strongly...
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhm... you might wanna check your calender there Six, cause see there's this little link at the top of the page that's disagreeing with you rather strongly...

GAH! I don't know why I had mid-July in my head. Okay, maybe a little speed would be good >.<
  • Jamesbond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We must push little projects!
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TINY BAGPIPES STEAL OUR THREAD!
  • Ya Mum Nz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he always does this lol gets another idea and works on it just do it trey think about what happens if you win they get put in the game!
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya Mum Nz wrote: »
    he always does this lol gets another idea and works on it just do it trey think about what happens if you win they get put in the game!

Hahah, I know i always do this. I dont think im going to win, but its still great to add more custom content for a great game.

Btw, I have finished the optimized mesh. That only leaves the texture to be done.

Once thats done its hat time boys!
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good news every one!

I have finished the Toothache!

toothache25.jpg

Damn Valve and there upside down worldmodel sorcery

toothache24.jpg

Now onto the hat!
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woooo! Go go, Trey, go! The end is in sight!
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good news everyone!

bioFarnsworth.jpg

Man that looks sexy.
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just one quick update before i start on the hat.

A big thanks to Psyke for making the kill icons for the Didger-Die and Toothache.

Also thanks to him for helping me research Aboriginal hat ideas, he has been very helpful!

killiocons.jpg

Don't they look sexy!
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I trust you know what your doing for the hat...right?
    this hast to tie up you pack in a neat little bow,
    I think you did a great job with the didger-die
    and the toothache has made great strides.
    If your hat kicks arse your chances of winning go up around 33.3%
    and If it surpasses the quality of your other items that may go higher.
    *whispers*
    between you and me...It's all about the hats...
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgoodroad wrote: »
    I trust you know what your doing for the hat...right?
    this hast to tie up you pack in a neat little bow,
    I think you did a great job with the didger-die
    and the toothache has made great strides.
    If your hat kicks arse your chances of winning go up around 33.3%
    and If it surpasses the quality of your other items that may go higher.
    *whispers*
    between you and me...It's all about the hats...

Haha, well i hope i can make a decent hat then.

Speaking of hats, how does this look?

maya2010062117524828.jpg

maya2010062117521622.jpg

The two rectanges would be feathers, but im not sure if those are really needed. I can also cut out the model for the leaf completely by doing a flat texture attached to the stem, but i just love the roots in the back of the leaf.

What do you guys think? I want to make this hat cool so any feedback would be appreciated.

Also here is the refrance i was going off.

headdress.jpg

Of course i will add in some cool Aboriginal designs onto the hat later to spruce up the boring middle.