Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Fragus

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    lol, I give up trying to help then. good luck i guess.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see a lot of detail-curves here:
    shotgun_large.png
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those who say the models are flat-boring: believe me, I studied the textures, models,trailers and any kind of information about TF2, I played 350 hours and mostly Spy. I don't think that the models should be super-curved and mega-original, TF2 style is varied, the knife is very angular, the shotgun is quite "2D-ish" from which I took inspiration. In all seriousness I'm very tired of trying to follow critique, trying to make it appealing to one person, and making it unappealing to another. I like my models, and if it's no match for the contest, so be it, I gained experience and had a lot of fun brainstorming,modeling and texturing., and will continue to post my ideas and progress.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragus wrote: »
    For those who say the models are flat-boring: believe me, I studied the textures, models,trailers and any kind of information about TF2, I played 350 hours and mostly Spy. I don't think that the models should be super-curved and mega-original, TF2 style is varied, the knife is very angular, the shotgun is quite "2D-ish" from which I took inspiration. In all seriousness I'm very tired of trying to follow critique, trying to make it appealing to one person, and making it unappealing to another. I like my models, and if it's no match for the contest, so be it, I gained experience and had a lot of fun brainstorming,modeling and texturing., and will continue to post my ideas and progress.

I warmed up some copy pasta for you. Enjoy!

A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: "You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?"

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."

Well, the Man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said:
    "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours and your hulking son?"

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

"That will teach you," said an old man who had followed them:
    Please all, and you will please none

Anyhow, I think you've been doing a great job so far, and I can see that you're getting frustrated, with so many people giving you different advice. None of us are wrong or right, we all just have our own opinions. Sometimes, you've just got to back away from your work, examine it from a distance, and ask yourself if YOU think it's right.

Keep up the good work, Fragus. :-)
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The knife is, I think, a very fun idea. I'm not really sure why having a gun would mean you weren't allowed to have a gun-knife. It's not like the gun-knife is going to be usable as a ranged weapon, it will just fire when you land a backstab, right? It makes sense to me- sure, you could just shove your blade down their spine, but why not shoot them at point blank just to be CERTAIN that they go down?

I'm not sure about the model just yet, though. I don't think I've ever seen a folding blade pistol dagger- I just don't think there would be enough space. For comparison, I've got some links to pistol daggers that I think look cool- a flintlock pistol-dagger, a smaller caliber more modern one, a double barreled pistol-dagger, and a freakin' bizarro pistol-katar.

As far as hat... well, that's a gold mine right there. The Spy has a lot of really great untapped had potential. I look forward to seeing what you decide on.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Probably the best analogy to use here.

But yea, again, I don't want your work to fail Fragus, don't try to please the entire crowd here, there's lots of varying feedback so obviously things will go in various directions. However you really should focus at most on the contest, the theme and the artistic beauty of the weapons, it seems like you're trying to do that now but just keep that in mind.

Also the Gun Knife seems like a very interesting concept, I can't wait to see where this goes.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a real photo I was modeling from:
    S8zln.jpg
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, seems like it could work, if you made it a bit more TF2-like.
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a real photo I was modeling from:
    (Pic removed to safe space in quote)

Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. Alright, rock on! I guess folding blades can work with pistol daggers =P

Personally, I think it would be very cool to have a pistol switchblade. I was looking up "switchblade" on Wikipedia, and it says that in the past, combination pistol/spring blades were quite popular, so there is some precedent. I just imagine the spy drawing this little wooden handle with a pistol barrel attached, and pressing a button, and a blade springs out... makes me smile. ...That probably makes me a bad man, but eh.

I also think you should keep a similar color scheme to the Fleur De(ux) Lis, for cohesiveness. Maybe a wood handle, with golden pistol barrel, and some gold on the end of the handle? Up to you, chief.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, any further suggestions on this bad boy? or I'm texturing it?
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, any further suggestions on this bad boy? or I'm texturing it?

The only thing I would suggest is to make sure the weapon doesn't clip too much when Spy raises it in his back-stabbing pose. Have you tried testing it?
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrm. I just can't tell yet, to be honest. I haven't got a good read on it. I'm concerned about it maybe not looking very TF2, though. Also, I would change the hammer on the back of the barrel to a more recognizable, revolver-esque design, or perhaps one similar to the M1911 if you wanted something smaller.

Beyond that... the texture is going to make all the difference. I can give some more input at that point.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BAD Photoshop explanation of the knife-gun:
    DDtLm.jpg
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about the name? :)
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It took me some thought, but then it hit me- the Full Metal Jackknife, or FMJ.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It took me some thought, but then it hit me- the Full Metal Jackknife, or FMJ.
    The name is good, but it's too "american" imo. Maybe something more delicate? :\
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The name is good, but it's too "american" imo. Maybe something more delicate? :\

You're right, it sounds like a Soldier unlock... the Bonaparte Bayonet? Gah, that sucks. I'll think about it.
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Further name discussion starts here.

So, the Fleur-De-Lis is a symbol of French heraldry, the art of creating a coat of arms for officers and nobility. I thought, since the Spy is confirmed to be French, it would make sense to stick with this naming theme. So I looked at some French heraldry, some ranks and titles, and I came across a name I remembered from history.

The Dauphin. It's pronounced "Dow-fan", but the "n" is pronounced so softly that it's almost silent. A Dauphin is the heir apparent to the throne- the man who, barring some assassinations, is going to be the next king. It's a French term, of course, and I just love the way it rolls off the tongue.

Now, being the heir apparent, the man who will soon be king, is not exactly a comfortable position. The fact that if you die, one of your siblings will become king means that you're in a pretty dangerous position. All it takes is one ambitious brother (or sister) and you could be dead.

So I had the idea that perhaps the blade was used either by agents of the Dauphin, or by someone who once assassinated a Dauphin. If it was used by agents of, it could be called the Dauphin's Defense, if it was used by an assassin, it could be called the Dauphin's Demise.

I like the Dauphin's Demise quite a bit more, but both of them are pretty... something. I like them, but I'll keep thinking. Just throwing these out here.
  • Blue Paratroopa
    How bout

"Le brisant du coeur" the heart breaker

or

"Le vengeur" The avenger

:D
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RENDER: I screwed up here BIG time, I forgot the barrel, but later I'll fix that. here's the textured version:
    k2CnD.jpg
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Further name discussion starts here.

So, the Fleur-De-Lis is a symbol of French heraldry, the art of creating a coat of arms for officers and nobility. I thought, since the Spy is confirmed to be French, it would make sense to stick with this naming theme. So I looked at some French heraldry, some ranks and titles, and I came across a name I remembered from history.

The Dauphin. It's pronounced "Dow-fan", but the "n" is pronounced so softly that it's almost silent. A Dauphin is the heir apparent to the throne- the man who, barring some assassinations, is going to be the next king. It's a French term, of course, and I just love the way it rolls off the tongue.

Now, being the heir apparent, the man who will soon be king, is not exactly a comfortable position. The fact that if you die, one of your siblings will become king means that you're in a pretty dangerous position. All it takes is one ambitious brother (or sister) and you could be dead.

So I had the idea that perhaps the blade was used either by agents of the Dauphin, or by someone who once assassinated a Dauphin. If it was used by agents of, it could be called the Dauphin's Defense, if it was used by an assassin, it could be called the Dauphin's Demise.

I like the Dauphin's Demise quite a bit more, but both of them are pretty... something. I like them, but I'll keep thinking. Just throwing these out here.
    Magnificent! Dauphin's Demise it will be!
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How bout

"Le brisant du coeur" the heart breaker

or

"Le vengeur" The avenger

:D
    Great ideas, thanks! :)
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The theme of my unlocks is now called Ecouter de Fleur, which Means Golden Flowers
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little input on the Dauphin- I think it looks good, just a few tips
    Af89y.jpg
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The theme of my unlocks is now called Ecouter de Fleur, which Means Golden Flowers

Doesn't that mean something like Flower Listener or something? ecouter is to listen as far as I remember. On the other hand, I last spoke french like 6 years ago so.

Google translate told me that Fleurs d'Or mean golden flowers.
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    Doesn't that mean something like Flower Listener or something? ecouter is to listen as far as I remember. On the other hand, I last spoke french like 6 years ago so.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. I remember my high school French... "ecoute et repeate- listen and repeat."

Fleurs d'Or would be "Flowers of Gold", or Golden Flowers, like he said.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ughhh, that barrel mistake cost me another hour unwrapping and texturing: here's the proper version:
    53PNN.jpg
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »

Ups, my mistake, already remade it
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Specular/Bump maps:
    qRS1U.jpg
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I think the knife is done, of course I still hear your suggestions, but please suggest only texture changes, I will not put myself through another UVW unwrap! Let's brainstorm for the third item: a hat or a third unlock?
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about a misc. item? Maybe a boutonniere, which is a flower to go over the breast pocket of his suit.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it, a knife that shoots people. You could have a textured stripe of gold along the handle and the knife blade to tie it together.

Of course, it looks great right now anyways. Awesome idea.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    I like it, a knife that shoots people. You could have a textured stripe of gold along the handle and the knife blade to tie it together.

Of course, it looks great right now anyways. Awesome idea.
    That's a really nice idea! Should try it! Thanks! :)
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrillho wrote: »
    How about a misc. item? Maybe a boutonniere, which is a flower to go over the breast pocket of his suit.
    I haven't seen any clothing so far, only hats! :( Maybe a hat with a rose?
  • pw pw pw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should model a misc. item which is a belt w/decorative rapier in a sheath. Or a curled-up pantleg with a dagger stuffed in the shoe.
  • RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just wondering how the spy will shoot that thing? i see no trigger
  • ParingKnife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the new knife, it's really good looking!

You could always make a Napoleon hat if you're keeping to the French theme. :)
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think it's the big yellow button on the side, but I could be mistaken.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When performing a backstab, it will trigger the bullet. I know that's kinda silly, the backstab is already instant, but something original can be done.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't seen any clothing so far, only hats! :( Maybe a hat with a rose?

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean you can't do it! :-)

It would be almost like a badge replacement.

Anyhow, a hat with flowers in it would be cool, too, if you can find or think of a good design for one.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrillho wrote: »
    Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean you can't do it! :-)

It would be almost like a badge replacement.

Anyhow, a hat with flowers in it would be cool, too, if you can find or think of a good design for one.
    nah, it's too boring. I'd try a rose, and then we'll see where to put it! :poly142:
  • RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When performing a backstab, it will trigger the bullet. I know that's kinda silly, the backstab is already instant, but something original can be done.
    ummm. i get it now, thats awsome, maybe the drawback will be the gun makes special noice (like the DR's noise, so ppl can hear the back stab. and then the knife can give a passive buff to the spy? since instant kill is like the best stats ever, so no more buff goes to the weapon.
    also, u said "lets brainstorm for the THIRD weapon" are you gonna take out the disguise thing?
    i know the disguise doesnt fit ur theme, but i really like the concept of it, maybe make lighter with flower carved on it? for disguise kit.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ummm. i get it now, thats awsome, maybe the drawback will be the gun makes special noice (like the DR's noise, so ppl can hear the back stab. and then the knife can give a passive buff to the spy? since instant kill is like the best stats ever, so no more buff goes to the weapon.
    also, u said "lets brainstorm for the THIRD weapon" are you gonna take out the disguise thing?
    i know the disguise doesnt fit ur theme, but i really like the concept of it, maybe make lighter with flower carved on it? for disguise kit.
    a LIGHTER! (light bulb turns on) HELL YEAH! :poly142::poly142::poly142: can't thank you enough, that will fit perfectly and can have any stats! :thumbup:
  • RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a LIGHTER! (light bulb turns on) HELL YEAH! :poly142::poly142::poly142: can't thank you enough, that will fit perfectly and can have any stats! :thumbup:
    ha! cant wait to see it, since i cant model, i guess it will be cool if the idea of mine is in game :\
    oh, and how is ur knife with golden stripe on? cuz now it still looks like it needs a bit more thing on the handle, and maybe the something on the gold part too?
    not sure, cuz i dont want it to be too complicated (tf2 is simple but beautiful at the same time)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for flowery hats...what about a Renaissance inspired hat?

Actually, your theme could be Renaissance Man!

A three musketeers hat? Your weap ideas seem to fit the bill for Renaissance/court intrigue weaponry too!

pirates_of_the_caribbean_bloom_in_hat.jpg
    3-musketeers.jpg
    renaissance-clothing-2.jpg
  • RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    As for flowery hats...what about a Renaissance inspired hat?

Actually, your theme could be Renaissance Man!

A three musketeers hat? Your weap ideas seem to fit the bill for Renaissance/court intrigue weaponry too!

pirates_of_the_caribbean_bloom_in_hat.jpg
    3-musketeers.jpg
    renaissance-clothing-2.jpg
    hey! that was the hat i was keep thinking about for flower hat, i just cant remember the name.
    but now, looking at ur picture, i think it will look weird on the spy though, (just imaging with my stupid brain :)
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, because of work, pulling an all nighter here...this will be fun (sigh)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you working on atm?
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy 400th post! Here's a new PDA idea:
    KAFEw.jpg