Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Fragus

Replies

• Blue Paratroopa
    Well, if you think it's too complicated maybe you can get rid of those vines under the flowers? But I for one don't think it's complicated.
  • youngoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick (and very bad) mockup of what I meant:

FleurDeLisMockup.jpg
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    youngoli wrote: »
    Here's a quick (and very bad) mockup of what I meant:

FleurDeLisMockup.jpg
    I don't like it, just the fact that it's a big stretched out one symbol makes me puke. I can do it on the handle,if everyone wants to have the fleur symbol
  • youngoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, it's ok. Plus, no one would see it on the handle anyway. >_>

Still, I don't like the empty panel, but maybe you can come up with a better idea later. No need to rush through it.
  • Blue Paratroopa
    I really like the previous one better, with the design.
  • Naso
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naso wrote: »
    testgun.jpg

????
    HELL NO!
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was just an idea, no need to bust out the caps :P
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naso wrote: »
    Was just an idea, no need to bust out the caps :P
    Just kinda stressed out, sorry :poly136:
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDA UPDATE: BETTER TEXTURE AND SPECULAR MAP:
    S8x1z.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    It looks good, but I feel like that area below the buttons is kind of bare. What about moving the buttons down so there's more space between them and the screen?
  • Nerdlights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good as always, but perhaps an antenna at the top, and I agree with Swizzle
    It looks good, but I feel like that area below the buttons is kind of bare. What about moving the buttons down so there's more space between them and the screen?
  • Luxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You promised me an antenna :(
  • Blue Paratroopa
    Fragus wrote: »
    g37aj.jpg
    This is the one I meant, It just looks complicated up close, you should see how it looks in the game first.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I thought of some warning sign or a mini-monitor with waves :\
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxy wrote: »
    You promised me an antenna :(
    forgot it. Currently I'm remodeling the model, making it more round and professional looking, I'll add an antenna when I'm done
  • MacD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like it, just the fact that it's a big stretched out one symbol makes me puke. I can do it on the handle,if everyone wants to have the fleur symbol

This.

10this's.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDA UPDATE: RE-MODEL
    aEP7j.jpg
  • Blue Paratroopa
    PDA UPDATE: RE-MODEL
    aEP7j.jpg

hmm.. might be a little too long
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I very much like the new PDA model. It looks like a classic villain gadget- antenna, TV display, buttons and lights. It's perfect.

Hrm, I wonder if you could get the Angel's game on that thing... =P

On a more serious note, you said it randomly selected a disguise, right? So will you have to make special textures for each class to display on the screen?
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I very much like the new PDA model. It looks like a classic villain gadget- antenna, TV display, buttons and lights. It's perfect.

Hrm, I wonder if you could get the Angel's game on that thing... =P

On a more serious note, you said it randomly selected a disguise, right? So will you have to make special textures for each class to display on the screen?
    I'm think of something easy, instead of showing each class or a spectator camera (very hard to do) it will just show some text or maybe a gif icon of a class with some distortion
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smaller antenna:
    AC70U.jpg
  • Blue Paratroopa
    Yeah thats way better :D
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Your geometry can still use some cleaning up. For low poly models: 5+ sided polygons all over the place = weird/bad triangulation. Either connect those extra vertices or get rid of them.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, your first 3 products seemed to blend together just perfectly, but now your items are just hopping all over the place. I'm not quite sure where you're going here but I just liked the first set the best tbh.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The Fleur de Lys looks more like a shotgun and for my money, less interesting every time you update it. It's lost a lot of the appeal that it had originally. It's obviously up to you, but I'd love to see you backtrack a bit with the design. Keep some of the elements you've developed further but try to recapture what worked so well with the original.

The enamalled look with the blue and white Dutch Delft pattern was a really nice touch.
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously, it's all a matter of opinion, and no one's is necessarily wrong or right, but I would like to present an alternate perspective from the last couple of (very negative) posts.

The Fleur De Lis, I think, looks incredible. I can understand why some think it looks like a shotgun, but really, that's because there actually aren't that many conventional bullet weapons in Team Fortress 2. There are a decent amount, but in most shooters, practically every weapon fires bullets.

In a game where we have rocket launchers, flamethrowers, guns that shoot healing, and a bar of chocolate as weapons, the more conventional weapons will seem less dramatic, and more similar, in comparison. tl;dr- the Fleur De Lis reminds you of a shotgun because it doesn't shoot flames or do Ubercharges. Because it is normal looking.

As for a theme for the weapons? I don't remember it ever being expressly stated, but I had assumed that the theme was to emphasize the Gentleman side of the Spy. An elegant silver dagger? An engraved golden gun with rich wooden handgrip? A state-of-the-art technogadget no true gentleman would go without (for true gentlemen are always on the cutting edge)?

Though I do still wish it was called the Fleur Deux Lis, I really love that pun.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, still that's a vague theme, this is mostly an art contest here and well, honestly, to emphasize how much of a gentleman the spy is can apply for most of his current weapons. It's a very vague theme and this is, as I've stated, an art contest, a skin contest, they're looking for the best theme and the best content, a loose theme like this is a weak entry tbh.
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What was the theme of the original, then, if you feel it's changed so much? The Fleur De Lis has gone through some pretty big changes, to be certain, but the disguise kit and the dagger are pretty much the same as when they started out.

To clarify, I don't necessarily disagree with you- the theme is kind of loose, and that's definitely a problem. But the actual weapons, I really like- seriously, if you wanna scrap the Fleur De Lis, you're gonna have to do it over my dead body >.< Should we, perhaps, suggest new themes, and minor changes that could be made to the items to bring them in line with this theme?

I'll ponder that for a while.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1140646&postcount=165
    If you look here, it should be obvious on first glance that the gun and the knife fit each other pretty well. Honestly, at this point it was my favorite, I felt the revised revolver was best about here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1141745&postcount=217

After that, I was pretty disappointed tbh. I loved where you were going to start off with, I haven't seen Fragus post his theme here but starting early it had a darker more mysterious like theme to it. I saw Fragus post at one point he was aiming for different themes for each weapon, you don't want to do that, theme is an important part of the contest, vague themes are like a penalty here, and differing themes are a poison.
  • SixTwoSixFour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll grant you that they looked more similar back then, but what was the theme, exactly? Things that are grey and have engraving?

This is Fragus's pack, of course, so this is just how I see it... but I don't really see any way that, with a strict theme, you can connect the PDA to the other two, at least not in any form we've seen them in thus far. The dagger is a stylized letter opener, and the gun has been at one time or another a thin pistol of absurd length, or a golden, lever action heavy pistol. I like these models, but how do you see them connecting to each other, let alone to the (for its time) high tech, state of the art PDA?

Frankly, I deserve a decent amount of blame in this. I majorly pushed the lever action style, and that's a pretty big departure. I think it looks mega badass, of course, but what theme could it fit in with? You could do an old west style set, I suppose, or perhaps a....

Wait. Wait. I just had an excellent idea. It would necessitate changing the PDA, but that's the cost. What if the theme was that these were heirlooms? The whole set, all three weapons, were passed down to him by the Spy that taught him all he knew- maybe his father (maybe his mother), maybe just a spy that is now retired. But all three weapons were weapons that the old spy had used during his service- weapons that had served him in good stead, and carried him safely through many missions.

Like I said, the PDA is too high tech and new for it to fit with that theme, but it's something to ponder.

EDIT: I didn't want to take up space with another post before getting Fragus's input, so I'm just editting this in. Fragus, I think I've made it pretty clear that I love your work. I think this idea for the theme could work really well, that you could do some really cool things with it. But I really don't want to be presumptuous here.

I couldn't make a blob if you gave me a modeling program. I really respect your talents, and I want to do what I can to help you and your project succeed. So I just want to make sure that it doesn't seem like I'm... trying to seize the reins here. I can't model, I can't texture, I can't even draw concept art. The only thing I'm decent at is throwing out ideas.

This is just another idea I'm throwing out. I think it's a pretty good one, I think you could do some awesome stuff with it. But all this talk about what the pack should be is making me feel like a thread jacker or something, and I just wanna say, that's not my intention.
  • EvilShadow777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds like a great idea actually!
    Spy Heirlooms would be a great theme, but I think he should still hold onto his earlier versions though, he had something going there, what he has now is very different but what he had definitely had life in it.

I acknowledge wholly that this is Fragus' pack, but it should be obvious our feedback has significant impact on his work, I don't his pack to fail because everyone's contradicting opinions had him create items that couldn't be matched in any way, this stuff is too good for that.

Edit: Generally, ideas are good, feedback is good, even if your not a modeler or even an artist, however keep in mind that your ideas should be focused on the art element, how to keep all the items in theme while making them fit TF2 while looking good all together, that's basically all this contest is about.
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Though I do still wish it was called the Fleur Deux Lis, I really love that pun.

Same, it's perfect for this gun.
  • Yanma024
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, Fragus, I'm reading the comments. Starting with me, everybody is so picky. lol

On that note, I don't like how the body is gold, but the barrels are gray. It's too big of a color change.
    But it's still fine, there are more important knife-related changes to make.
  • Mizzymizzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBH I like the gun with just the flowers coming from the handle. If you put something on the side it will just look complicated. (I enjoy simple things)
  • Death Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Saboteur with the antenna looks a bit much like the Demolition PDA of the Engie.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow. So to set things straight - EvilShadow777, the model you refer to in the picture maybe be a good looking render, but in 3D it's flat and boring, I've made it just to please some commenters wishing the barrel-on-barrel action, I don''t like it, of course, if everyone who has visited my thread critiqued the new golden-gun and asked for that one, I would've re-modeled it making it better, but since the introduction of the new gun, everyone except you forgot about the old one's, the majority and I like the golden gun, and I'm not willing to go through concepts,modeling,unwrapping, texturing,feedback,polishing again. I thank SixTwoSixFour for his original ideas that helped me shape the gun. As for the the Spy Heirlooms, I would try to remake a knife and replace the PDA with a hat!

Thanks!
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your new gun. much more coherent and in the style of the spy. :)
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any suggestions for the knife (a letter opener) OR just polish up the old one?
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, "Spy Heirlooms" is set as the official theme of the models, thank you again SixTwoSixFour! :D
  • Blue Paratroopa
    I really like the old knife, just polish up that one
  • offsuit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I absolutely love that gun! Blunderbuss, isn't it? I was thinking of making one for the demo.

Good work!
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't resist, I modeled a new one, i know that you can't change the functionality, but this was just too fun.

Closed knife-
    LbUdm.jpg
    Open knife:
    6O0Gz.jpg
    Basically it's a knife with a small one shot gun mounted on it! It looks super awesome!
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I laughed out loud when imagined a spy performing a backstab- he stabs and shoots in the same time! hahahhaha
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't resist, I modeled a new one, i know that you can't change the functionality, but this was just too fun.

Closed knife-
    LbUdm.jpg
    Open knife:
    6O0Gz.jpg
    Basically it's a knife with a small one shot gun mounted on it! It looks super awesome!

Nice! So, what is the Spy's Limit Break, and how much materia can that weapon hold? :-)

I kid, I kid... that's pretty badass.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, I think it's a contender, if you leave the backstab animations, and just add a gun shot sound and a muzzle flash when backstabbing!
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GUN TIME-LINE: ENJOY!
    2sqZI.jpg
  • RoronoaDSanji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi fragus
    i have been reading ur thread since u first post it, and it seems like u have gone through lots of changes, heres what i think in short:

revolver: that one looks great, but the first handle looks more "elegant" to me, and thats like the thing about spy right?
    just make the handle curved up a bit, and the trigger guard spin abit more to reach the "elegant" feel

knife: love the second one, how it flips out, i dont like the first one, cuz when playing spy, i love to look at the butterfly knife fliping animation. but what i LOVE about the first knife is the "elegant" feel of it, the flower, the curved side thing (sorry, english is my third language)
    so maybe get those things in to ur second knife? not sure how to put the curved side thing in, but maybe the curved thing above the handle?, and of course, flower on the blade, or handle

for the disguise, love the idea, (random and fast, smoke free ) but again, it doesnt look elegant, so lost the connection there, and i have no idea how to do this one, cuz flower on a box looks bad, maybe change the shape a bit?

final note, notice how i said elegant alot?, cuz , ur whole thread gives me this feel, so this can be ur theme?
    the Spy Heirlooms theme is good, but is a bit weak, since u can do everything u want basically
  • pw pw pw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your idea for a pistol knife for the spy, but currently it seems like you're modelling it a little bit blind. Look to historical combination weapons for inspiration. Here are a couple of links for you to ponder.

"Pistol Sword" on wikipedia

"Gun Knife" in google

These brass knuckles unfold to a gun-dagger

Might I recommend making the gun a single-shot wheel lock pistol? It would certainly add classic style. Something Like This.

The fleur looks great, and you can definitely see improvement in your modelling skills from the first concept to the latest. Keep up the good work.
  • MacD11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keep the old gun and dont enter the knife gun,i think that will lower alot of possibilities of youre pack getting in.

as for what you should put in the middle of the bare place of the gun,an Ace of Spades.