Home General Discussion

Breaking Bad

Replies

• valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Ever wonder what happened to Huell?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzIpf80Yaw"]Huell's Rules - YouTube[/ame]
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    What a great finale!

I'm glad Walt was finally able to redeem himself a little, finally admitting to Skyler that he wasn't doing it for the family, and letting go of his greed when he shot Jack without hearing about where his money is.

Glad Jesse made it out, but I imagine that'd be a pretty terrible life, he's a pretty messed up dude. I'd like to think he could somehow adopt Brock and then live happily ever after or something, but he was probably dead or in jail within a few weeks.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    :thumbup: Great show & a great finish
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    perfect ending.
  • ForbiddenDonut
    That stunt he pulled on the Schwartz was amazing.

Also, the "I did it for myself. I was damn good at it. I was alive." line was amazingly satisfactory to hear.

I'm going to miss this show.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    That ending was so satisfying. :)
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Great ending. really good!

oh man! Genius! Huell was a harlious side character.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    I guess you could call that a dark happy ending. Walt tied up all the loose ends, didn't he? Even got Lydia with the Ricin. I'm gonna miss this show.
    Now, I hear they're coming out with a prequel show based off of Saul Goodman. I hope Vince Gilligan is the writer.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    it was a good finale.. but I'm still sad that the show is over and I wish there was more.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Great ending to a great show. Glad everything got wrapped up. I loved Walter's talk with Sklyer. "I did it for myself" gave me chills. Bryan Cranston is an amazing actor and I'm so glad to see that he's in more movies now
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    excellent ending.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    There shouldn't be more ;p That's the problem with shows nowadays. They suck it dry. It lasted as long as it should.

Great finale.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    That was the equivalent of growing a nasty scab for 5 years then peeling it off. So damn satisfying.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Perfect ending for a perfect show, but that last song just felt completely off. The lyrics matched perfectly, but the tune of the song just felt so wrong to me.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Any thoughts on what leaving his (Walt's) watch on top of the payphone was about?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I must be the only person who felt disappointed with the finale.

I didn't like that Jesse didn't have a better pay-off with all he'd been through, and I didn't like that Walt went out on a happy note (though, by the ending I was disliking Walt's character and wanted to see him get his own treatment) - A man who systematically deceived everyone he was close to, got his brother in law killed (and countless others), and ruined the life of his family. The trust fund will be nice in 8-9 months, but they'll live on with his shadow over them.

I would've liked the end to have played out a little longer, for the retribution to linger.

And that music? :( Felt like an ending to a Wes Anderson film.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I agree that for Jesse this didn't turned out great. Through out whole series he only lost people. Maybe that's what you get when you live like they did ? Maybe you can't count on happy ending if you are someone like Jesse. He wasn't a bad person but he did some bad stuff. Maybe the question is 'can you run away before you will loose everything including your life?'.

Shame to see him bruised, without people he cared about , with fucked up psyche and without money though.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i loved the ending , it said what needed to be said.
    Walter came to terms with him doing it for himself , Jesse refused to be told what to do and walked away.
    They were willing to actually do what needed to be done storywise

best serie i`ve watched, hands down
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man, that wrapped up great! Very satisfying. Though I wished we got to see more screen time with Jesse to see what he gets up to after he escaped, but it did end in Breaking Bad style.

Going to miss looking forward to new BB episodes.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Bek wrote: »
    Any thoughts on what leaving his (Walt's) watch on top of the payphone was about?

Jesse gave the watch to Walt as a birthday present for his 51st. Walt showed Skyler and said that the watch was given to him by someone who wanted to kill him but who forgave him, so the watch was proof that she'd also be able to forgive him (or something).

So it's him giving up the idea of being forgiven. Pretty subtle I think
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Agreed with Ravenslayer.
    So satisfying. I clapped like an idoit during the " you-know-what" scene.
    Definitely the best show of all time, IMO.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well now that that's all over and done with, the next time y'all get excited about a TV series, make it one that I can enjoy too.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Jesse gave the watch to Walt as a birthday present for his 51st. Walt showed Skyler and said that the watch was given to him by someone who wanted to kill him but who forgave him, so the watch was proof that she'd also be able to forgive him (or something).

You're over thinking it. Vince Gilligan explained it during the Talking Bad. They realized that Walt didn't have the watch in the Dennys, so they had him remove it there, for continuity, and decided to make an "artsy" scene out of it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    I must be the only person who felt disappointed with the finale.

I didn't like that Jesse didn't have a better pay-off with all he'd been through, and I didn't like that Walt went out on a happy note (though, by the ending I was disliking Walt's character and wanted to see him get his own treatment) - A man who systematically deceived everyone he was close to, got his brother in law killed (and countless others), and ruined the life of his family. The trust fund will be nice in 8-9 months, but they'll live on with his shadow over them.

I would've liked the end to have played out a little longer, for the retribution to linger.

And that music? :( Felt like an ending to a Wes Anderson film.

I'm curious how you would have ended it. It almost sounds to me like you didn't like it, because it didn't match up to how you thought it would play out. I don't mean that to sound insulting, because obviously you're allowed to have your own opinion ;)

To me, it was about redemption. Healing those he's hurt, as much as he can, given where everything was. He didn't get Hank killed. In fact, he tried to stop it. Hank got himself killed, by going lone wolf, with Gomey, out to get Walt. He underestimated the threat. Remember, he only thought Jesse would be there, who he already had a hit on (after giving him many chances).
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    The music was perfect, great ending IMO, one of the best TV shows ever made.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ya, Vince said the watch was cause they realized he didnt have it on in the dennys scene, so they had to get rid of it somehow. And then after they got rid of it, made up a reason. Part of which was ya, he wont need it anymore, which is what i thought it was when i first saw it. He knew his time was up, so he doesnt need a watch anymore.
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    I'm very satisfied with the last episode. Walt's final was very predictable, but was great anyway. I'm happy that Jesse's finally get your freedom... he suffered many losts so I was nice to see him smiling in the last episode.

I'll miss a lot BB. T_T
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i dunno i wanted more mess... seemed to neat too me...even though it wasnt...hard to shake feeling though
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter

I heard Vince's description too, but I still like this explanation better. That's what I was thinking when it happened. Nice to hear the honesty about it in Talking Bad, though. Felt good to laugh for a second after that intense episode :)

I'm in the "happy and satisfied" bunch when it comes to the finale. I was team-Hank for the past three seasons, and found the conclusion to address all the reasons I turned on Walt in the first place. Not in a happy kind of way. More like... he owned up to things and had a sense of accountability. He stopped lying about his intentions with Skylar and himself (which always bugged me), while even offering revenge to Jesse at the end. Even, as he was dying, he admired the lab with an apparent sense of acceptance.

I dunno, I was downright expecting to be dissapointed. It just felt conclusive and right.

Also, there's this:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/breakingbad/comments/1ndv29/tonight_is_the_62nd_episode_of_the_show_samarium/
    Whoa...

edit* - Oh, but Badger and Skinny Pete's final scene was a letdown. I wanted one more silly discussion or something. LOVE those guys.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I'm curious how you would have ended it. It almost sounds to me like you didn't like it, because it didn't match up to how you thought it would play out. I don't mean that to sound insulting, because obviously you're allowed to have your own opinion ;)

No insult taken :)

It wasn't the worst ending, but that ending didn't fit the tone or the edginess that prevailed through the rest of the show, IMO.

For a show where people are exploded, melted through bath-tubs, hacked up and put in barrels, axed, poisoned, shot to death in the face, and all the rest of it, that ending was far too cutesy and soft and I feel like they missed an opportunity to do something better.

For it to have been perfect, for me, Jesse would have gotten more retribution, and Walt shouldn't have been allowed to go out on his own terms - getting closure, setting up trust funds, saying goodbyes (how Skylar allowed that to happen after all they'd been through in previous episodes is really beyond my comprehension).

Jesse spends most of his time seeing Walt as a father figure, and has almost everything he cares about taken away from him, including his relationship with Walt. The last time he sees Walt before the final scene was Walt telling him he could have saved his dying girlfriend, but didn't, because it served him better.

By the end of the show, Walt is utterly self-serving and sociopathic, his character degenerated almost beyond recognition (Vince Gilligan has talked about this numerous times). He ends up being a monster, a stark inverse to the struggling family man character he started out as (who we all loved and rooted for, and cheered for as he started to take control of his situation). He passed a line that no one can really continue cheering him on from, though it seems people still see Walt as some kind of hero, or anti-hero. He's a monster, plain and simple.

Yet, when the finale comes, after spending the season being at war with each other, Walt lets Jesse go (with all his snarling desperation of wanting him dead in previous episodes), Jesse lets Walt go (after all had been done to him by Walt, directly and indirectly). Jesse should have been able to get a bigger dose of revenge, both on the gang and on Walt, and Walt should really have suffered more.

Walt, who's the sole reason the events of the show take place, all the death, suffering and ruination, gets all the closure and retribution, and that doesn't seem fair or just, to me.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think you took in the bigger picture. I think Skylar figured it out afterward, that Walt was trying to protect her (when he made the call). She may still have some resentment for him taking Holly, but he gave her back immediately, and time had passed, so she was probably over that. Hank's death (and being left with nothing), would probably be the only thing she would still be pissed about... and she probably was hoping to know about Hank. All the court stuff, she knew was a potential, if they ever got caught.

As for Jesse, I think you kinda touched on it already. I think he still saw Walt as a father figure, and realized he had just saved him. From Jesse's perspective, if Walt still wanted him dead, he wouldn't be there helping. Plus, he knew Walt was going to die.
    As far as Walt wanting Jesse dead, he was reluctant to call the hit in. Even when the time came, he didn't want it anymore. Then, when Hank was killed, Walt was PISSED, and felt Jesse was to blame (at that moment). Walt had plenty of time to think, while stuck in that cabin, which is why I think he finally realized how this was all his fault, thus the reason he went into a redemption mode. Walt Jr yelling at him helped solidify that.

The thing is, the way he killed people before, was through his ingenuity, which he used again at the end. The science was the cool part of the explosions. This time, it was the mechanical engineering was the science. Plus, didn't you enjoy the dead guy, still getting his massage? I know I got a giggle out of it.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Last episode was great. It was actually quite refreshing to have a lot of loose ends wrapped up. Why this finale worked so well for me was because it wasn't over the top. It was actually more predictable than the show had been throughout the entire rest of the series. It had to be, it couldn't afford to have any wild twists or super unbelievable things happen. Mostly because we all knew how it had to end.

BUT THAT LAST SONG was so wrong...as someone mentioned, lyrically perfect, but it was straight up rock and roll. WTF. A cover would have done it...
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    anyone ever notice that the main white supr guy kinda reminds you of Doc Brown from "Back to the future"?

This guy
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120904231638/breakingbad/images/c/c1/5x8_Gliding_Over_All_%2804%29.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Best finale ever! Won't put any spoilers in the thread, but it was truly awesome :D
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Plus, didn't you enjoy the dead guy, still getting his massage? I know I got a giggle out of it.

Haha. The dead guy on the massage chair freaked me out. It reminded me of something out of a Japanese horror film :(
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    great finale, i will really miss this show. :)

The bit with the m60 was kind of a stretch imo, in terms of believability, but holy shit was that scene insane, amazing sound work.
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Loved every episode of this show, great way to end it.

I'm sad that its all over now :(.
  • ForbiddenDonut
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Jesse should have been able to get a bigger dose of revenge, both on the gang and on Walt, and Walt should really have suffered more.

I agree on a lot of your points - the last episode went all too according to Walt's plan. However, I do think there would have been a greater push-back had Vince left loose-ends.

Also, with Jesse - he was exacting his revenge in the best possible way. Walt was manipulating him again. And by not killing him, Jesse is denying him the last of Walt's control over him. He's telling Walt "no, I'm not your pawn anymore. Do it yourself."

I was actually surprised Jesse managed to go through with murdering Todd. After all the death and destruction he's already sowed, the last thing I'd think he would have wanted was to take another life (even if it was the monstrous Todd). At that point, however, it's clear that Jesse is just a broken image of his former self.

Although he was the only one to leave that compound alive, he's the one who has died the most inside.
  • ErichWK
  • Tadao215
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    I really thought for a second, near the very end, that Walt would take a hit of the blue meth.. that would have been good.
  • notman
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    TDub wrote: »
    I really thought for a second, near the very end, that Walt would take a hit of the blue meth.. that would have been good.

Hah, yeah that would have actually been a fun way to end it. He has, after all, never used any of the stuff he's made so much money from. It would have have been cool if he used some before
    dying (padding so the word isnt obvious)
    only to say "...people actually buy this shit?"
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    hmmm... overall i thought the last episode played it safe.

There was a lot of seeds planted since the beginning of the season to make you wonder what was gonna happen. A lot of those ideas were even discussed here. Which is why i thought it was surprising to see BB end in such a low note. I am not saying that it should have twists and surprises.... but i just think it played it safe and not like some of the other episodes that blew our minds because of the simplicity of its structure.

To be honest... i think Walt ended up in remorse. When all of the show he turned into something else. They spent all that time working him up to be this monster, really cold and unforgiving and smart. But in the end he is not that anymore. He seeking redemption cuz he is looking sick? cuz his family turned on him?

I dunno.. i felt like Walt had to go out as the monster he was. Not as the sensitive person he started as.

Also... i agree with the song being off beat to the tone of that ending. It did feel out of place imo.... sure about the lyrics... but personally i am someone that relates more to the music and tone than words.

Anyways... its nice to see the show end already, and not try to drag it on and on. Like some other shows do.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The time in the cabin, he was alone with his thoughts, and it broke him. He was no longer a 'monster', once he left that cabin. They even teased it, when he was dropped off, that he'd be a man with time to think. Even when he was in the safe house, with Saul, you could see he was still the 'monster', trying to scheme up a plot. And in his first days in the cabin, he thought he'd be the tough guy, and ignore orders, by walking to town. Then he realized how far it would be, and how bad of shape he was, and stopped himself.

To me, the ending made sense, given those circumstances. Obviously, they would have written it differently (where he didn't end up in the cabin), but it worked for me.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I can see that... but there was not enough exposition to show his break down in the cabin. Would have been really interesting to see an episode of him and his mind deteriorating because of his solitude.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seemed to me, like they did cover that, but maybe without as much time as it probably deserved. I think it was conveyed in the stack of papers (to show how much time had passed), his anxiousness to get those papers (to reconnect with the world), and paying $10k for that guy to stay an extra hour. I agree though, it may have been fun to see him initially try engineering stuff, to pass the time, and make his living situation better. Then eventually running out of things to do, and an eventual break down, as he realizes where everything has led to.