Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just wanted to claim intellectual copyright on my personal favorite idea... presenting... THE FLAME BAIT!!! it'll be a melee replacement for the Pyro. its a gas can you can throw at enemies (think Jarate or Mad Milk). works the same as those (range, splash damage, etc.) but of course can't extinguish burning enemies. soaked enemies are ignited when shot. and im thinking maybe mini crits on enemies that are already on fire. ill try and get some concept art done over the weekend. thoughts? suggestions? criticism?
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also currently working on two all class hats: a Keroro hat (see Sgt. Frog) and Finn's Awesome Hat (see Adventure Time). was kinda suprised no one had thought of these yet... will be challenging, but should look awesome if I get it right...
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    here's my latest in game sign i've made for my playload race map:

conagher-railroads.jpg
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @R13 I like the Point A to point B tid-bit at the bottom, I chuckled. The design is good but the colors are a little too saturated for TF2. Take the red and blue at the bottom for example, notice how their values are rather dim.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice logo! I agree on the saturation - you could take the team colors from right there on the HUD and play with those. Also I get the feeling the logo is supposed to represent a train, but I don't exactly see it - do something more so at least you get a better sense of which side is the front or end. Maybe do something with the shape of the bomb cart?
  • Don Karnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    I've added a few more details to my sticky launcher, and got it in game.

Hate to say it, but if you're planning on sending this to Contribute, you'd probably be better off removing the name in 3D from the side of the weapon, be cause Valve are known to rename a lot of the contributions and if the name is fixed on the model, they just probably won't bother.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    I know the colors are saturated a bit, i'll pull them down at some point. I have a few signs in the level that need the same pass.

that is a heavy stylized bomb cart.. railroad logos have a lot of very heavy linear elements, they are almost exclusively linear stylized rails or trains. i leaned in that direction in stylizing the cart logo. I tried it with more circular elements in the wheels, and vertical elements for the chimney and rail bars... but in the end i found that reinforcing the horizontal design was giving me the same sort of logo that is part a linear design exercise and part maybe a train, rail or bomb cart idea.

all that said, if you wanna do a quickie paint over with tweaks or a different design, i'll love to take a look :D ... honest.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    Soviet Russian Sat-Navs
    Getting you from A to backwards R!

Sorry, that just seemed fitting - my friend's been saying it all week
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I submitted this hat 2 weeks ago. I couldn't really come up with a proper name for it though.

Anyway, here is a short video. (best viewed at 720p of course :poly142: )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4UuEjTt_UA[/ame]

(Sorry for the hud labels, forgot to turn those off..)
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a sort of combination of real life guns turned into a shotgun turned into tf2 style type of deal.

barfal2.jpg
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS wrote: »
    I submitted this hat 2 weeks ago. I couldn't really come up with a proper name for it though.

Anyway, here is a short video. (best viewed at 720p of course :poly142: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4UuEjTt_UA

(Sorry for the hud labels, forgot to turn those off..)
    Could you consider uploading it so the community so they could download it for themselves?
    I think it's absolutely hilarious, however I don't see how it fits Engineer so it might (this is Valve here, they don't always follow their own guidelines) be considered too out of character by Valve.

If you upload it to the community, then you'll make a lot of people happy by letting them enjoy your cool item. It will also probably not worsen your chances at all of being picked by Valve, because other items like the Kabuto, Skullcutter and the Dalakoh's bar were also available to download for the community before they were picked by Valve.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh shoot really? I was thinking I could just make a separate skin for the spy that would replace his cigarette. Ah well, maybe if I submit the pipe with the hat, Valve could put it together.
    AN IDEA JUST HAPPENED :poly142:. In the taunt for the diguise kit, the spy raises his hand to his mouth, takes the cigarette, and flicks it away... why not replace the cigarette with a match? he strikes up a match, brings it to his mouth (in the exact spot of the pipe), then flicks it away?
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    @ Simski, I have to be honest I didn't read any background info on the characters. But I remember the engineer having a straw in his mouth playing the guitar in his "meet the .." video. Which made me think of a farm, and of course... chickens = farm :3

I might upload it somewhere this weekend.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS wrote: »
    @ Simski, I have to be honest I didn't read any background info on the characters. But I remember the engineer having a straw in his mouth playing the guitar in his "meet the .." video. Which made me think of a farm, and of course... chickens = farm :3

I might upload it somewhere this weekend.
    Good, the community will love your creation :P

Also, could you consider putting it on his shoulder instead of on his head?
    If you put it on his shoulder it would make Engineer look more like a happy farmer with his tame chicken on his shoulder, and it would generally look a lot less silly than having it on his head.

This would also make it possible to turn into a misc item, since Engineer doesn't have any misc items, and since the Hotrod basically makes it impossible to add misc items to Engineer's face without them clipping horribly. Basically, I think it would increase your chances of having your item put in the game.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Some Silhouette tests for one of the items in my pack, a harpoon. Please tell me which one you like the best. I'm thinking A is the best.

harpoon_silhouette.jpg

Ignore the handle at the moment. That was just copied from a reference image to have something there. The modeled version will be more interesting.
  • SandvichInYerFace
    Hm, in my opinion you should rather go with some mixture of B and C, just like you have a big hook at the end and some smaller saw teeth below it.

@Simski: This chicken hat looks so funny :D I hope they make it official!
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AN IDEA JUST HAPPENED :poly142:. In the taunt for the diguise kit, the spy raises his hand to his mouth, takes the cigarette, and flicks it away... why not replace the cigarette with a match? he strikes up a match, brings it to his mouth (in the exact spot of the pipe), then flicks it away?
    As cool as that sounds, it would be nearly impossible. I'd still have to redo the facial animations for the Spah with the pipe, and I'd have to find a way to get the match into the model when the taunt occurs.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As cool as that sounds, it would be nearly impossible. I'd still have to redo the facial animations for the Spah with the pipe, and I'd have to find a way to get the match into the model when the taunt occurs.
    ah, yeah... I have ZERO modeling expreience... I'm making stuff with my friend and I'm the idea/design department... it'd still look cool though
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Some Silhouette tests for one of the items in my pack, a harpoon. Please tell me which one you like the best. I'm thinking A is the best.

harpoon_silhouette.jpg

Ignore the handle at the moment. That was just copied from a reference image to have something there. The modeled version will be more interesting.
    I would say either a mix of A and C or a mix of B and C. A and C for a razor sharp, smooth, elegant look :shifty:, or B and C for a jagged, "prepare youself cuz this will frigging hurt and it wont be coming out anytime soon" look :poly127:
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    rcaltarion - Thanks for the crit I've tweaked the textures, hope it reads better now.

Sickmedic - Thanks! Fear not the models under 8000 tris, although I think it has slim chance of getting in the game.

Crazy-G - Thanks!

I'm just about done with this now, certainly learnt a lot anyway.

aintgottimetobleed.jpg

MeintevdS - Love the hat!

Svdl -
    Cool gun, I'd be tempted to lose the handle but it'd look great with or without it.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13, I just tried a logo based on the bomb cart (not going to post it since it's too ugly :) ) and I totally see where you are coming from... the chimney and light which really define the cart don't lend themselves to a streamlined look

my problem with it still is that it doesn't resemble a train too much, just a bunch of lines - I think a good example of a logo that took a complicated object and simplifies and streamlines it down really well is the USPS logo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:United_States_Postal_Service_Logo.svg)
    maybe going in that direction with different shapes that aren't neccesarily parallel could help you with a more distinct shape

svdl, nice gun - what stands out to me is the carrying handle - I don't know much about guns but I feel like it'll look better tilted about 15-30 degrees to the right
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Svdl, looks great, the M1 carbine inspiration really shines through, and is a logical weapon for the soldier to use
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so maybe a French-Canadian fur-trapper hat doesn't scream spy. What about a Nepoleonic nobleman's hat?

The Bourgeois Bicorne:

BourgeoisBicorne.png

BourgeoisBicorne2.png

[EDIT] Made the cameo a higher resolution. Didn't like how blurry it was:

BourgeoisBicorne2-1.png
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    colorflats.jpg

Yamo:

how long did it take for you to completely model that? Roughly, days, weeks?
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ComfyCushion, that's a great looking hat and the emblem's a nice touch. Much better than the more obvious choices like the spy's symbol or the TF crosshair.

Anyway, the handle and the rings on this gun are going to be jiggleboned and I gave it over to a buddy of mine for animations.
    far_reload.gif
    Progress of his.

I also touched up the texture quite a bit, and changed the colour scheme slightly. Here's how it currently looks.
    higherresd.jpg
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    colorflats.jpg

Yamo:

how long did it take for you to completely model that? Roughly, days, weeks?

Hard to say, it's embarassing how long the weapon has been taking me because I've only been putting in an hour or two here and there in my free time (usually weekends). If you go back a bunch of pages to see the earliest shots you can get an idea of how slowly the progress has been going lol

In reality though, maybe a week or so of real work. The main minigun body is pretty much cannibalized from the original. The barrel is all basic shapes, nothing too complicated, I'd say most of the work came from fixing proportions to get rid of clipping and making the belt look decent
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Svdl: that rifle looks a lot more imposing and domineering than the shotgun it replaces.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamo wrote: »
    Hard to say, it's embarassing how long the weapon has been taking me because I've only been putting in an hour or two here and there in my free time (usually weekends). If you go back a bunch of pages to see the earliest shots you can get an idea of how slowly the progress has been going lol

In reality though, maybe a week or so of real work. The main minigun body is pretty much cannibalized from the original. The barrel is all basic shapes, nothing too complicated, I'd say most of the work came from fixing proportions to get rid of clipping and making the belt look decent
    looks epic. could DEFINATLY see this in the game... i especially like the ammo crate :D!!
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svdl wrote: »
    ComfyCushion, that's a great looking hat and the emblem's a nice touch. Much better than the more obvious choices like the spy's symbol or the TF crosshair.

Anyway, the handle and the rings on this gun are going to be jiggleboned and I gave it over to a buddy of mine for animations.
    far_reload.gif
    Progress of his.

I also touched up the texture quite a bit, and changed the colour scheme slightly. Here's how it currently looks.
    higherresd.jpg
    that sir, is epic to the power of bitchin' :cool:
    only gripe is with the... um... handle (? im not savvy in the field of firearms). it looks a little out of place. i'd either lower it or scrap it. looks fantastic otherwise
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    @knuckle I just knocked together a quick comparison on the jockey hat with your paint over and your feedback was spot on. Ill rework the texture, cheers again for the paint over helped alot :)

jockey_comparison.jpg

And this seemed like a good idea late last night while watching early 80's music videos...

edome.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw&feature=&p=9B426B24C76E08A4&index=0&playnext=1[/ame]

although after re watching right now im having a good chuckle heh
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I've thought of doing that Devo hat before but thought that it would probably run into some copyright issues or something. Someone was bound to make it sometime though.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    @ Zipfinator - Yeah im pretty interested to see if this will be classed as parody, or if its to far in that direction. My thoughts are its so simple itll be no big deal if its rejected and i can just make it a community release.

@Svdl - love that shotgun!
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started a new hat since my computer broke a couple weeks ago and I lost what I was working on.

Nut Cracker Hat :D

I went through different variations, and this looks best. I'm giving this to the Spy since there are a lot of hat similar to this for the Soldier.

V.1.1.1.png

V.1.1.2.png
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop, the nutcracker hat is a Shako. Which the soldier already has.
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop, the nutcracker hat is a Shako. Which the soldier already has.

...Damnit. I searched everywhere on TF2 Wiki to see if there was any resembling hat, how did I miss that one!

In fact, how come I never heard of the Shako as long as I`ve been playing TF2?!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    tf2items_pyro_turbonator.jpg

Just an idea I mocked up after playing the pyro for a bit today.

A bit more car-based than the Degreaser.. think a turbo, fuel cell, small battery, exhaust tip for the nozzle... Using a gas pedal for the trigger, not sure what to do about the grip guard.. Fuel and electrical lines would be held a lot closer to the frame once it's fleshed out a bit more.. Believability is a little off for me, just cause I don't have a good solution for the intake before the turbo.

Gotta say using Max is frustrating (not my app of choice), even more so when it's a fresh install.
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put my gondolier hat for the scout in game. But the color is much browner then the texture, what I don't want of course. I still have to do jigglebones in the ribbons. Do you like the hat?

iw3qqo.jpg

2cqjspj.jpg
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    129145415212.jpg
    I made a cloche hat for Pyro. I thought he'd look cute in one, even though it's a girl's hat. I even made it match his purse. I wanted it to look like it was made of knitting or wool, but I had no idea how to go about that. I'm not entirely sure how to shade TF2 style to make it look the way I want it. I hope they'll do it for me. That's really the only thing that needs to be done to it, besides adding the bones, which Valve will undoubtedly do if they decide to use it.
    129146576420.jpg
    I've also started work on a Porkpie hat for Spy. I was looking up hats today, and I thought it would be just perfect for him.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so maybe a French-Canadian fur-trapper hat doesn't scream spy. What about a Nepoleonic nobleman's hat?

The Bourgeois Bicorne:

BourgeoisBicorne.png

BourgeoisBicorne2.png

[EDIT] Made the cameo a higher resolution. Didn't like how blurry it was:

BourgeoisBicorne2-1.png

You know, the fur trapper hat might be better suited for the Sniper. If you still really want the item to be in the game, that's what I'd do.

The bicorn hat definitely screams Spy, because of the Napoleon theme. I'd definitely wear it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svdl wrote: »
    higherresd.jpg

That looks great, I love it! Really nice texture work, fits in really well =)

Is it meant to be a WW2 era B.A.R.? I would love to have a BAR in TF2.
    They where known more for their accuracy than firing like a shotgun so I suggest dropping the rounded shotgun grip and going with the flatter full wood body front.

Probably ditch the handle but to keep a nice vertical element going, add in the tall site that normally sits in the back, it could flop around and be just as great without being so far forward and tall like the handle, which will be probably end up being pretty distracting.

I love what you've got going and I think with a few changes it could be a really cool new weapon instead of just a shotgun replacement!
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you and others like it.

It's not really just one single weapon, though. It's got shapes and the sort from many other weapons, the BAR being probably the strongest inspiration. Details like the carry handle and the area above the foregrip is lifted from the fn fal, for example. The shotgun elements are in place since the game's more about shotguns than automatic weapons and rifles and I suspect it's not going to change.

The handle makes the gun more recognizable from afar and makes it look more unique than if it was without it, so I'll at least want to see how it looks jiggleboned before getting rid of it. The BAR sight seems like a good replacement if I ever decide to remove the handle.

here's the latest texture, I keep changing the color scheme.
    darkeragain.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazy-g wrote: »
    Vig: wow that thing is majorly intimidating, love the look! might I ask what the red protrusion on the side is? a warning light or halt button maybe?
    Sorry I missed this before, its a oil filter. The whole thing is gas powered and vibrates like a engine that has broken off its mounts, which it has heh... The giant tank on the side and the battery in the back, is meant to be replaceable or upgraded (through another unlock-able crafting idea I submitted at the same time) to process the stakes differently and add effects like slow release poison, explosive tips or whatever crazy crap they want to cook up. The idea was that instead of crafting wholly new weapons you can create add-ons and upgrades.
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    I love your weapons Svdl :)
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Here's a panorama and a link to the final alpha of the map I've been working on:

It'll be running publicly on the CnB servers if you want to come play along

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7709653/plr_gibraltar_a1.zip

gibraltar_Panorama.jpg
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibraltar_Panorama.jpg

Whoa.

is designing a map the same as designing a weapon?
  • Don Karnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Whoa.

is designing a map the same as designing a weapon?

Heh not really but you can block out your map with modelling programs such as Sketchup and export to Hammer with plugins included with source SDK.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    this is the official tf2 stuff thread, this qualifies :P
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more pictures of my Scout's Gondolier hat, hope you like them ;)

qq48c1.jpg

5k3wpu.jpg

30hpmoo.jpg
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The Bourgeois Bicorne:
    *pictures*
    Yes, absolutely.
    A high class hat from a part of France history is a perfect idea, and the pin is an excellent touch.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 wrote: »
    this is the official tf2 stuff thread, this qualifies :P
    I agree, Far be it for me to tell you what to post where heh. BUT I think this is cool enough to get its own thread. DEFINITELY post links and pics with updates here that link to that thread for deeper discussion?

It would also make sorting through the feedback easier.

I gave it a private pass, took some screenshots and typed up some feedback.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/screenshots.zip 6mb

I gave it a spin with a few friends. Overall I like, I really like it. It's like a meat grinder sitting over a rats maze!
    2 Main beefs:
    #1 The beginning navigation, it doesn't point into the map so you come out thinking the map is laid out in front of you and its actually behind you. Some detailing and a few tiny changes would take care of that without sacrificing the vis sorting.

#2 Lots of ramps and garish lights makes it feel like UT or Quake instead of TF2, gotta stick to the color pallet especially with lighting, right now you're hitting the player over the head with the lighting and not leaving the rest of the details to tell them where and what base. Which you might be planning to improve in later releases.

#2a heavily used Hammer brushes for details, some things like the water cubes could be better done as water towers sitting on square bases. Maybe move the water towers to water pits on the ground floor, so people can jump into them with a cushioned fall from any level. It doesn't take much water to negate the shin crushing falls.

Any plans for some tunnels?