Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks very nice sandvich, I just love it :). But the things on the barrels are too big.
  • Larate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why would you need a laser sight or scopes on a shotgun?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Shadowplay wrote: »
    New Hat The Pleasure Principal

Very nice hat. It's an original idea and I think it goes well with the Demoman. You should get it compiled to see how it looks with the TF2 shading.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    If I'm making an all-class hat, how do I fit it around each class's head with one file? Or is there one for each class? I doubt this would be the case.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 wrote: »
    If I'm making an all-class hat, how do I fit it around each class's head with one file? Or is there one for each class? I doubt this would be the case.

You compile it uniquely for each class. So 1 .SMD and 1 .MDL and so forth for each class. This is how I did it and this is how Valve does it.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
  • IdleTard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    You compile it uniquely for each class. So 1 .SMD and 1 .MDL and so forth for each class. This is how I did it and this is how Valve does it.
    This is slightly incorrect as of now. It's true they once did it that way, but since the inclusion of the Alien Swarm Parasite, all-class hats share one model across all classes. This caused the Voodoo Juju clip with the back of the sniper's head quite noticeable until they changed it a couple of weeks ago.

They even changed the Gibus, formerly using separate models for each class, to use the same model for everyone after the halloween update.

So you can assume they will want only a single model for everyone if possible.
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bill's hat still has a model for each class, and so do the caps iirc.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors that's looking so badass buddy, I can't wait to see it finished.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Gobywan: Whistleblower :)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Holy man has there been some incredible work since i posted last, really impressive stuff everyone.

Here are a few from me,

jockey.jpg

jockey_crop.jpg

I have another one around here that ill drop on the forum once i Fraps it.
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow dude, the best idea for the scout ever :)
  • DoomerEX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what, act like a L4D jockey and ride an enemy heavy into battle? I doubt that was what you had in mind, but damn, if that ain't good enough for valve IDK what is.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    therobear wrote: »
    Hi everyone. This is my first time posting anything I have done on here. This has probably been done, but I decided to make a proton pack like weapon for the medic. After thinking about it for awhile, I figured that it probably won't be accepted by Valve because it's a bit to modern, but I decided to give it ago anyway. This is still a WIP and I only have wire frames at the moment. The tri count at the moment is 2306. I just have the pack at the moment. Any critique is greatly appreciated
    That's looking pretty cool! I like it. I think you're right valve will probably kick it back but it would be fun practice and depending on how far you take it you could probably release it on your own and people could have some fun with it. At the bare min it would be good practice.

I think someone already did do a proton pack medigun replacement and even a trap? I remember seeing something around the time of the polycount contest...

Crits:
    The cabling is super dense compared to the rest of the model. The vertical edges running down the middle of the cable could be gotten rid of without much impact to the silhouette of the model.

Cool stuff for sure, keep plugging away at it!
  • DoomerEX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that is quite a nice one. Could I see some comparison shots, and maybe some ingame? If you don't know how, pretty much anyone could do it for you, or better yet teach you. need to patch it on to the medic, because I'm pretty sure that the pack is part of the medic.

Gawd, I'm still at the stage where I don't have a clue what all the tools do or which one manipulates sub-divs. Trying to teach myself, really.
  • SandvichInYerFace
    Larate wrote: »
    Why would you need a laser sight or scopes on a shotgun?

That's the idea: Why would you ever need such aiming tools on a shotgun? You're right, there is really no point, it is clearly ridiculous :poly142: But it looks cool and gives the whole thing a kind of ironic feeling in my opinion :D Never think too serious about TF2.
  • Muffinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    heavy_chainzaw_da_11.jpg
    Not a lot of change, but optimization. I call the modeling done \o/
    5800 tris, the teeth taking 1200 :s

i was working on a bone saw/chainsaw myself :p

screen2.jpg
  • IdleTard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knuckle wrote: »
    Bill's hat still has a model for each class, and so do the caps iirc.
    That's why I added "if possible".

Earbuds have their own model for each class too, but when Dement contributed the Wiki Cap, he made 9 separate models but they only picked 1 for all classes.
  • Gobywan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »
    @ Gobywan: Whistleblower :)

I like it! That'll probably be the final name. Thanks :)
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff Lenny, the idea fits Scout perfectly and great execution on them. Hope to see your stuff in the game sometime.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think, to make this thread even more extreme in terms of ideas and creativity..

i noticed alot of newbies that want a piece of this action and want to get into this, but they're not very skilled in modelling, programs, etc.

its true. alot of people are all talk and they never really get their hands dirty.

but even if the people that don't manage to produce a finished design via a modelling program...

they should still produce sketches of their ideas via paint or just by posting pictures or sketches.

alot of their ideas can be really radical ideas that end up changing the face of TF2.

I for one have a few ideas....but my comp needs to be reformatted before i even start trying out modelling programs...
  • DoomerEX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have some nice ideas, and I'm trying to get them done myself just to log in some experience in how things work in my modelling. Let me try and flesh out an idea I want to start working on now that I've done some warm-ups in it to get a hang of the control.

I was thinking of a kind of wizard hat for the engineer, with lots of doodads on it. Not too many, but a few to give it character. I was thinking a little box on the side, with a wire trailing to an antenna atop the apex of the hat. Is this a good idea, in your opinions? Well, good enough?

Name wise, I was thinking "Tech Wizard", or something to that effect, because that's the phrase that gave me the idea.
  • therobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    therobear polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the comments guys! The cables are still lines, in case I need to move them I don't have to move a whole bunch of verts. I don't think I will throw it in the engine. After I got a hold of the model, I did realize that the medic and his pack are one object. I'm treating it as a just for fun type of thing, but I'll keep posting my progress on here.

I am a bit lost on what to do for the gun. I was thinking of combining the tip of the medic gun with the end and handle of the proton pack gun, but I wasn't really happy with what I came up with. Any ideas?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Muffinking, that's an awful nice bonesaw chainsaw. It's definitely unique to Noors, especially since his is giant and for Heavy. Looking forward to progress on it.

I've finally started work on a pack I've been planning for a while yesterday. I'll post up some silhouette tests later today or tomorrow for you guys to comment on. Looking to finish this thing in 2 or 3 weeks in my spare time.
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit those jockey scout items are perfect, can't believe that hasn't been done yet
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DoomerEX wrote: »
    I was thinking of a kind of wizard hat for the engineer, with lots of doodads on it. Not too many, but a few to give it character. I was thinking a little box on the side, with a wire trailing to an antenna atop the apex of the hat. Is this a good idea, in your opinions? Well, good enough?

Name wise, I was thinking "Tech Wizard", or something to that effect, because that's the phrase that gave me the idea.

This was posted by Genic a little while ago here on this thread techwizard.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamo wrote: »
    Holy shit those jockey scout items are perfect, can't believe that hasn't been done yet

Actually the little whip thing has been done before in this thread and there was a jockey hat made by the same person but it was the thing that the horse would wear. I like the execution and idea of these new jockey items better though.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Oh really nice job on that chainsaw. I'm affraid your teeth will be polygonvore though.
    Will be following this ;)
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A cricket bat for the sniper is a good idea?
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Holy man has there been some incredible work since i posted last, really impressive stuff everyone.

Here are a few from me,

[Scout jockey stuff]

I have another one around here that ill drop on the forum once i Fraps it.

I'm really digging the concept. However, did you bake an ambient occlusion map for that helmet? It looks too much one colour imho, maybe you could try making it a bit darker/more faded at the bottom of the striped part to make it look more interesting (subtlety is key here).
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    All these great projects got me to reinstall Tf2. Vigs Cossack Chipper gave me some great alternative ideas...theres so much this game has to offer the imagination....Great stuff from everyone.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm new to the forums and I'm currently in the process of making hats and weapons with my friend. I come up with the ideas and general designs, he does all the modeling and animating (and I test it). I just wanted some opinions on a few of my current ideas:
    Spy Vampire Pack: the Spy is a bloodthirsty, backstabbing, globetrotting, ladykiller. Includes a Widow's Peak with fangs, a wooden stake, a flintlock pistol, and a silver stopwatch.
    The F-Bomb: rocket launcher that fires napalm rockets. ignites enemies in blast radius.
    Big Tex: big ol' plumbin' wrench (like the one in the Engie's emblem). i figured 2X the build speed, but decreased movement speed
    The Rustler: pistol/wrangler replacement. little beacon that attracts enemy sentrys for 5 seconds.
    Hurts Donut (wah-wah): sandvich replacement. donut for the Heavy to nom on.
    We're also currently working on a Star Wars style rebel pilot helm for the Scout. i'll post concept art as I draw it. I still have a TON of ideas saved, these are just a few of my most recent.
    constructive criticism is greatly appreciated :)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cronotic / DoomerEX / Yamo - Thanks guys, glad you like. My thoughts were a possible minor run speed increase with melee damage reduction for the set and maybe some gag text on domination ;)

Zipfinator - i did see the Bridal for the jockey way back in one of the first pages but i must have missed the whip/crop?. Ill take a 2nd look through this epic thread anyhow as i am actively looking to avoid doubling up on submissions.

Knuckle - Cheers for the feedback, i did bake a bunch of AO's for this and ended up settling on the one you see after looking over some of the pre existing hats. I did consider adding the short brush strokes mentioned in the TF2 style guide, but it ended up feeling over worked when combined with the character.
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah no, brush strokes don't generally work that well on hats. I was talking more in the sense of a gradient. I tried editing the red team's texture that you included to give an idea of what I mean, but I'm not really sure how you unwrapped it. Nontheless, what I did was apply a gradient with the bottom teamcoloured tint from the TF2 palette with opacity from 0% to 50% on the left striped part and 0% to 25% on the striped part in the top middle, plus a color overlay with the same colour at 25% on the part I guessed would be the visor, all set to multiply mode, which yielded:

vNehP.png

I'm really not sure if I interpreted the UVW correctly, and I can't really test how it looks myself, but it's mostly to indicate what I meant with the darker/more faded at the bottom.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've added a few more details to my sticky launcher, and got it in game.

side_withAOwip.jpg

The AO and shading is still very WIP at the moment, and there are still some clipping errors, mainly on the front grip. So what do you think? Yay or nay?demo_holdwip.jpg
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's okay, Noors. You know what they say about great minds thinking alike. We just happened to come up with the same idea around the same time. I just thought I'd let you know. I don't know if I'll ever finish mine, though, because of the normal mapping thing. I'm having issues when I do Render to Texture in 3D Max. No matter how much I adjust the cage, there seems to be overlap. I don't know what's causing it. I even tried asking for help from one of my professors, but they just said to resize the cage. Is it because I have an inner part to my helmet?
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeeMyVictimRustier.jpg
    This is the Candyman's hook for the Demoman. I requested that it shoot out a bee at whomever the Demoman's aiming at from a distance, and that a whole swarm of bees attack whenever he gets a melee hit and drain the victim's health for about as long as the Shiv does. The swarm can be escaped from if the person being attacked jumps into water, though. The Demoman has a limited amount of bees that come back after a while, and they're always buzzing around his head like the unusual hat effect with the flies. The hook's name is Bee My Victim, because the Candyman says "be my victim" to the main character in the movie. The model I made looks more like a pirate hook, but still has the bloody stump and the nails sticking out. It's suppose to be a replacement for the Demoman's hand. I'm not sure how Valve's going to do that. I hope it doesn't deter them from using it in the game.
    DoozerHelmetEngieDone.jpg
    Here's another item I made as well. It's a Doozer helmet for the Engie that I modeled out of his default hat. I got the idea for it while watching Fraggle Rock on the Hub. Karen Prell, the voice and puppeteer of Red Fraggle works at Valve as an animator. I hope she sees it.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knuckle wrote: »
    Ah yeah no, brush strokes don't generally work that well on hats. I was talking more in the sense of a gradient. I tried editing the red team's texture that you included to give an idea of what I mean, but I'm not really sure how you unwrapped it. Nontheless, what I did was apply a gradient with the bottom teamcoloured tint from the TF2 palette with opacity from 0% to 50% on the left striped part and 0% to 25% on the striped part in the top middle, plus a color overlay with the same colour at 25% on the part I guessed would be the visor, all set to multiply mode, which yielded:

vNehP.png

I'm really not sure if I interpreted the UVW correctly, and I can't really test how it looks myself, but it's mostly to indicate what I meant with the darker/more faded at the bottom.

Cheers for the Paintover Knuckle,

In all honesty my AO bakes just weren't giving me gradients on the back of the hat, and i felt even though that left some pretty flat color it looked alright once on the character.

Admittedly your paint over looks pretty awsome though, so ill give it a try and get back to you.

thanks again
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeeMyVictimRustier.jpg
    This is the Candyman's hook for the Demoman. I requested that it shoot out a bee at whomever the Demoman's aiming at from a distance, and that a whole swarm of bees attack whenever he gets a melee hit and drain the victim's health for about as long as the Shiv does. The swarm can be escaped from if the person being attacked jumps into water, though. The Demoman has a limited amount of bees that come back after a while, and they're always buzzing around his head like the unusual hat effect with the flies. The hook's name is Bee My Victim, because the Candyman says "be my victim" to the main character in the movie. The model I made looks more like a pirate hook, but still has the bloody stump and the nails sticking out. It's suppose to be a replacement for the Demoman's hand. I'm not sure how Valve's going to do that. I hope it doesn't deter them from using it in the game.
    References are okay, but that sounds more like blatant plagarism.
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Newbie here again, this time with a hat! I present:

Gentlemanne's Thinking Cappe

Concept Art:
    SpyHat1.jpg
    SpyHat2.jpg

Latest Picture:
    8thrender.png

No pipe yet, still wondering how that's gonna work. The texture being used now is a simple mapping test, I'll make a better one later. I'm quite happy with the results, but it would be nice if I could get some feedback from the community. :)
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do believe there was some general issue that made it near impossible to replace the Cigarette with a pipe, although many people have thought of that as a good idea and have attempted to do it.

I think that a hat would go excellent with that hat, and should you have issues setting up the pipe then perhaps you could send in the finished model to Valve and request that they make it possible for it to replace the cigarette. (That is, unless you do manage to find a way for it to replace the cigarette)
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no way without redoing the spy's faceposing for every cigarette replacement.
  • Jeps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi modellers, could anyone of you try to make this hat for the Demoman?

http://hamppu.net/mspotilas/wp-content/uploads/british_police_helmet.jpg
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Newbie here again, this time with a hat! I present:

Gentlemanne's Thinking Cappe

Concept Art:
    SpyHat1.jpg
    SpyHat2.jpg

Latest Picture:
    8thrender.png

No pipe yet, still wondering how that's gonna work. The texture being used now is a simple mapping test, I'll make a better one later. I'm quite happy with the results, but it would be nice if I could get some feedback from the community. :)
    CURSES, NINJA'D ONCE AGAIN!!! lol, still looks REALLY nice. only possible problem I see is if you DO go with the pipe (note: you totally should, it looks way cooler), the disguise kit taunt may look off... best of luck to you :)
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh shoot really? I was thinking I could just make a separate skin for the spy that would replace his cigarette. Ah well, maybe if I submit the pipe with the hat, Valve could put it together.
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    Oh shoot really? I was thinking I could just make a separate skin for the spy that would replace his cigarette. Ah well, maybe if I submit the pipe with the hat, Valve could put it together.

Might turn the cigarette flicking taunt into a killing taunt.
    Getting hit in the head with a Meerschaum has to do SOME damage. :)
  • Knuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The spy model has a prp_cig bone (or a bone similarly named) which I hoped would automagically make any cigarette mods work with the facial animations when I was making my quaint quellazaire (a quellazaire is one of those pipes with filters that hold cigarettes that people used to use before filter cigarettes were invented; hence the quaint). It didn't :(
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement wrote: »
    References are okay, but that sounds more like blatant plagarism.
    You know, it's likely that they won't even use the stats I requested, or the name I requested. Without those, it's likely that it would just end up being a pirate hook. That's what it would probably look like to someone who's never seen the movie. The brain slug closely resembles the one from Futurama, besides the lack of antennae and having different eyes, and no one's calling that "blatant plagiarism." I'm not accusing anyone of anything...just saying.
  • Invader Fluff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, it's likely that they won't even use the stats I requested, or the name I requested. Without those, it's likely that it would just end up being a pirate hook. That's what it would probably look like to someone who's never seen the movie. The brain slug closely resembles the one from Futurama, besides the lack of antennae and having different eyes, and no one's calling that "blatant plagiarism." I'm not accusing anyone of anything...just saying.
    If my logic is skewed and my hook is too much like the one in the movie, Valve can always decide not to use it...or they can edit it. I can even edit it, since it didn't actually get submitted yet. I wasn't aware I had to enter my Steam ID a second time while submitting, so the submission didn't work. What can I do to it so it's not "blatant plagiarism?" Plagiarism wasn't my intention. I just love the movie and I thought it would be really cool to have the item be in the game. I meant for it to be an homage. I know you don't think of me much, because I'm new here, but I hope your intention isn't to drive me away.
  • Nzdjh