Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the kind of thing I'm seeing.

What exactly are you working on there, Base?
    World domination
    But mostly a hat for the Scout

But you probably should keep it within the TF2 theme
    Nothing to wacky unless it looks Spy-Fy
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Davision, there are no world meshes. The viewmodel and the worldmodel are the same in TF2.
    there are v and w models(like Revolvers) but right now Valve does most of the new weapons with c models which are both and for some strange reason they refrain from making LOD models for the new weapons meaning that at max distance the Soldier model might have less tris than his hat (unlikely) or his weapon (very likely)

Just to confirm that I am not just handing out crits I'm willing to take some as well.

cowboyhatpic.jpg

thoughts?

I've got the Texture done (256X256) for RED and for BLU though BLU needs some work and now I'm going to try to get it ingame soon.
    I've got an Alpha as well and the Textures are AO'd
    700 tris which means it fits Valves requirements neatly
    Phy model is done

Now the one thing missing is to get everything as smds and get the Textures converted to vtfs and create the vmts then get it ingame as mdls

ignore the Shinyness that's just how BLender renders

Any name ideas?

I was leaning towards "Daring Desperado"
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to put together a video of my Flail for the demoman in action:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27CA8Ktje_k[/ame]

@Noors: Yeah you might be right, I'll try upping the AO for those areas and see how it looks.
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the kind of thing I'm seeing.

What exactly are you working on there, Base?

I'm making a clock hat for the scout. I posted concepts a buncha pages back, but it was quickly overtaken with halloween posts, so it's natural you'd miss it. Do you think the design itself isn't lending well to that idea, or if you saw the clock hands in place, you'd put it together? I will be texturing it and such, but I don't want it to be too confusing visually or etc.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base wrote: »
    I'm making a clock hat for the scout. I posted concepts a buncha pages back, but it was quickly overtaken with halloween posts, so it's natural you'd miss it. Do you think the design itself isn't lending well to that idea, or if you saw the clock hands in place, you'd put it together? I will be texturing it and such, but I don't want it to be too confusing visually or etc.

there we go
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1229863#post1229863

waiting to see what the tex looks like because it's hard to judge what it will look like right now

"Ding Dong, you're dead"?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    hehe nice Monkeez, the bone chain looks a bit rigid but jigglebones tend to act weirdly at some point.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monkeez wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27CA8Ktje_k

@Noors: Yeah you might be right, I'll try upping the AO for those areas and see how it looks.
    HOLLY FLAILS BATMAN

BEST DEMOMAN MELEE I'VE EVER SEEN
    the bones may not have the exact behavior of a chain but who cares. it's awesome. the kill effect should trigger the same head animation that the engineer taunt
    and if you want some criitcism... in the FPview you only see a wood stick half of the time. I think a sorter handle could be nicer.

by the way.. what is wrong with that inmortal heavy in the video :S
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I did work on the settings for the jigglebones for a good full day before I started modelling it and whenever I made the settings more realistic I was also getting more glitches. What I have now is I think a decent middle ground. Also I was running around a lot, I should have done a few shots of me standing still cause it does actually move around a fair bit.

I had a friend join me on a server and attack me with it and I think it also looked better from this angle and not the locked behind 3rd person camera angle.

Anyway, I'm about to submit!

EDIT:
    and if you want some criitcism... in the FPview you only see a wood stick half of the time. I think a sorter handle could be nicer.

I agree, the only problem is I did try it shorter originally and it created clipping issues with the demoman's head :(.
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    yesyesyes.jpg

now to work on the texture more, and im going to play with some less intense self illumination right around the bulb, so it looks less out of place.

(it also flickers a bit, i will make a video when its finished)

I might like this a little more, if the light was team coloured.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    my only complaint about the mask, is that the elastic strap looks loose, and the mask would fall off. perhaps just making straighter, so their wasn't that slack hanging down. or one of the other possible fixes in the picture.

rfetgygugigytrewdfgh.jpg

Thanks for the paintover battery! I see your point, its much appreciated :D
    RedSheep wrote: »
    @Autokey I think that you did a good job on the hat, but I think chances of it being accepted in game are a little slim. Not because of the quality (by any means) but because it would result in major clipping issues when used with the medics misc. Maybe you could make two versions, one with the mask and one without. Oh and nice idea, btw.
    a gentlman wrote: »
    autokey: I was going to type a comment but RedSheep summed up everything I was going to say.

Hey sheep and gentleman, thanks for the comment :) And with the mask, are you referring to his mouth clipping through? I think it may be ok, because there is already one very similar in game:
    Backpack_Physician's_Procedure_Mask.png
    Although mine does go under his chin...hmm. Is that the kind of thing you were referring to?
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that they mean that you'd be able to wear both at the same time which will cause clipping issues.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well now I've got all the textures done for my hat
    I've used Milkshape to put it in the right place properly modified the qc and as soon as GUIstudioMDL works I can get an ingame screenshot as it replaces my fireman
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gunslinger is part of the engineer's body. Theres a whole different engie model for when you have the gunslinger equipped. i think
    I don't think so. The heavy has sub-models for hands for when they swap out the boxing gloves. I think they did the same with the engineer.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    workin this morning in the hand straps I realized my first design was stupid because it looked loose and pointless.
    so... I'm redesigning and here are a couple of concepts.

I like 2-B

28tcnwj.jpg
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say 2 A as it seems the most interesting

If I'd be trying to defy you I woud've said 1 A

but 2B seems nice too
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm. and this?

2d2gk61.jpg
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd still go for 2A - it makes the palm more interesting and if you're gonna bolt down the straps in C, why bother attaching them together?
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say 2B, bolts are more interesting than just a line :P
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arcaltarion: I'd say 2C, but make the middle strap thicker so it's more like A
    Monkeez wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27CA8Ktje_k

That is one sweet flail.
    Did you try making it one handed like the pain train to see how it would look?
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could u mnake a steam gauge or something on the engies hand? tht would bbe awesome.
    other than that, i like @B
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lampekap wrote: »
    could u mnake a steam gauge or something on the engies hand? tht would bbe awesome.
    other than that, i like @B

the original gunslinger already has a gauge of some sort
    Gunslinger_1st_person_blu_cropped.png
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, yes i forgot about that :p. mayby a steampunk styled firelighter? so he always can light his cigarettes whenever he wants lol
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to scream in frustration right about now.
    After an eternity spent trying to get the hat in the right position which it is (minor clipping with the bandana) and then redoing the Texture because it was checkers it is now more or less solid grey with the Strip being dark grey and there is no Pyro emblem
    FFFFFUUUUUUU

To my relief it is ingame and I like it
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you saying that the texture is displayed wrong?

i've never heard that issue but maybe the error is in the SMD.. did you applied the vtf as thematerial?
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    if after compiling all the required modelfiles/textures and the model is able to be viewed in the modelviwer, but the old model(ghastlier gibbus) shows up in game whats the problem? I have sv_pure set to 0.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arcaltarion: I like 2A.

When I compiled my shotgun to get a feeling for it in game....I immediately hated it. It didn't feel like it contributed anything, and just looked like a bunch of random shapes...which is weird given I made it! :poly142:

So I went back to the drawing board, and looked for some guns with interesting shapes. The Browning Automatic Rifle caught my eye, and after some quick block outs, I decided to adapt the hump the BAR has and build something that looked more like a bolted on augmentation:

re_redesigning_by_elbagast-d320son.png

Oddly enough, the overall shape is pretty close to my original design.....

I can probably make the bolt move when the shotgun is pumped too, though this section will probably get some more tweaks.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've made a step in the right direction with that shotty. you should check side by side the normal shotgun and the Frontier, their main differences in viewmodel is the color (and the critics anthenna) the detail in the shapes isn't that important after all.
    I'm reading stuff about bodygroups in the valve dev wiki but Ii only cach glimpses of the big picture.
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Body_Groups
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Anatomy_of_a_Model#Render_geometry

Can I find the engineer's QC file somewhere?
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast: I really like the changes you have made to your shotgun! The handle seems a bit off to me now, though. I think it's because the edges around the finger grips are a bit too sharp for TF2's style. Maybe try to round them off a bit?

@Arcaltarion: Sure can, just extract
    engineer.dx80.vtx
    engineer.dx90.vtx
    engineer.mdl
    engineer.phy
    engineer.sw.vtx
    engineer.vvd

and then decompile the MDL.
  • Arcaltarion
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alcaltarion How about a mixture of 2A and 2B?

@Elbagast Do you think you could extend the the top barrel of the shotgun? I think that would look pretty cool. Also is the bolt based off of any gun in particular? I don't remember seeing a bolt on the browning.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Decompiling isn't going to give you a completely accurate .QC file but it should help. Why do you need to edit the bodygroups though? Valve won't allow that. There's already a body group that you can access in Model Viewer where he doesn't have a right hand.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alcaltarion: I think the colour contrast between the rib and the barrel will probably be the thing that makes this design distinct (as it currently is anyway) in regards to recognition.

The SDK should have the QC's for the player models, but they're out of date. It should be enough to see how Valve set them up though, since it'll have the lines for the hat.

@Autokey: It's actually just as sharp as the Wrangler's grip (closest in-game model with a similar style of handle) at the moment, though I may rework that area. I don't know if the handle style fits anymore.

@Redsheep: I've not decided on the final barrel length so I'll have play around. It's generic at the moment, in the style of the ones on the sticky launcher and smg. The BAR does have one, but I haven't gotten any pictures that are clear enough to see the shape yet.

EDIT: Also GCFScape has been updated to fix not being able to access >4GB files!
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    woot woot! got my first tf2 hat in!
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Decompiling isn't going to give you a completely accurate .QC file but it should help. Why do you need to edit the bodygroups though? Valve won't allow that. There's already a body group that you can access in Model Viewer where he doesn't have a right hand.

well... i guess that if I want to replace the gunslinger I have to edit the Submodel in which it is contained, because it's not a C_weapon but a submodel
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast

I always liked your pack and the new hat is just fantastic, but indeed what I felt dragged down your pack was the shotgun :S

It's not that it's bad or anything, it's just that when I looked at it the first thing I notice is the default shotgun I see on almost every class with metal bars on top.

Your new revision is definitely showing some progress and it's starting to look much better, but what bothers me so is probably the most first-person visible part of the gun (outlined, see attachment)

In my opinion you should focus on more drastic redesigns of the outlined part to truly make it stand out! :)

Good luck and I look forward to seeing more of your work :)
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did this last night, but didn't take any screen shots before i went to sleep.

selfillumupdate.jpg
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you saying that the texture is displayed wrong?

i've never heard that issue but maybe the error is in the SMD.. did you applied the vtf as thematerial?
    I've fixed it

I used the Ghastly Gibus as a base for my .vmt

Given the recent addition of paint the tutorial I used was outdated so the hat was painted grey If it were any other hat that had team colors or something it woud've never hit me but there is only one Ghastly GIbus grey that I know and that hat looked like a replica Gibus just flatter top and wider brim.

I've fixed it and now I just need to fix team colors and some minor imperfections in the mesh then I'm more or less done though I may need to seperate the Bandana from the hat and stick the bandana to the neck bone.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did this last night, but didn't take any screen shots before i went to sleep.

selfillumupdate.jpg

That's starting to look great battery! Would be perfect if you could get the effect to shine on the mesh as well.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well... i guess that if I want to replace the gunslinger I have to edit the Submodel in which it is contained, because it's not a C_weapon but a submodel

Ah I thought it was a c_weapon. I guess that's why Valve said it was a bit more complex to implement.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is the light still a particle effect?, Valve might discard it because of that.

also, I decompiled the engineer and this is the QC.. but I dont find anywhere instructions about submodel replacements, just names,routes(at least that is clear) and a bunch of data about ragdoll and LOD
    is this an obsolete file or is the QC I have to compile with GUIstudioMDL? i find it very... lacking.
    Also, the LOD of the hand show 5 different levels, but in the model viewer the gunslinger just swaps the model once, 1 is the high poly and 2 3 4 and 5 are the same
    where are the different LOD of models stored ?
    and what is this .DMX extension in front of the .SMD extension?

$cd "C:\Users\Alberto\Desktop\extract"
    $modelname "player/engineer.mdl"
    $model "engineer" "engineer_morphs_low.dmx.smd"
    $lod 11
     {
      replacemodel "engineer_morphs_low.dmx" "lod1_engineer_morphs_low.dmx"
    }
    $lod 22
     {
      replacemodel "engineer_morphs_low.dmx" "lod2_engineer_morphs_low.dmx"
    }
    $lod 33
     {
      replacemodel "engineer_morphs_low.dmx" "lod3_engineer_morphs_low.dmx"
    }
    $lod 44
     {
      replacemodel "engineer_morphs_low.dmx" "lod4_engineer_morphs_low.dmx"
    }
    $lod 55
     {
      replacemodel "engineer_morphs_low.dmx" "lod5_engineer_morphs_low.dmx"
    }
    $shadowlod
    {
      replacemodel "engineer_morphs_low.dmx" "lod6_engineer_morphs_low.dmx"
    }
    $model "hat" "hat_bodygroup.dmx.smd"
    $lod 11
     {
      replacemodel "hat_bodygroup.dmx" "lod1_hat_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 22
     {
      replacemodel "hat_bodygroup.dmx" "lod2_hat_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 33
     {
      replacemodel "hat_bodygroup.dmx" "lod3_hat_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 44
     {
      replacemodel "hat_bodygroup.dmx" "lod4_hat_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 55
     {
      replacemodel "hat_bodygroup.dmx" "lod5_hat_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $shadowlod
    {
      replacemodel "hat_bodygroup.dmx" "lod6_hat_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $model "hat" "UnknownModelName.smd"
    $lod 11
     {
      replacemodel "UnknownModelName" "lod1_UnknownModelName"
    }
    $lod 22
     {
      replacemodel "UnknownModelName" "lod2_UnknownModelName"
    }
    $lod 33
     {
      replacemodel "UnknownModelName" "lod3_UnknownModelName"
    }
    $lod 44
     {
      replacemodel "UnknownModelName" "lod4_UnknownModelName"
    }
    $lod 55
     {
      replacemodel "UnknownModelName" "lod5_UnknownModelName"
    }
    $shadowlod
    {
      replacemodel "UnknownModelName" "lod6_UnknownModelName"
    }
    $model "rightarm" "glove_bodygroup.dmx.smd"
    $lod 11
     {
      replacemodel "glove_bodygroup.dmx" "lod1_glove_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 22
     {
      replacemodel "glove_bodygroup.dmx" "lod2_glove_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 33
     {
      replacemodel "glove_bodygroup.dmx" "lod3_glove_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 44
     {
      replacemodel "glove_bodygroup.dmx" "lod4_glove_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 55
     {
      replacemodel "glove_bodygroup.dmx" "lod5_glove_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $shadowlod
    {
      replacemodel "glove_bodygroup.dmx" "lod6_glove_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=Red]$model "rightarm" "robotarm_bodygroup.dmx.smd"[/COLOR][/FONT]
    $lod 11
     {
      replacemodel "robotarm_bodygroup.dmx" "lod1_robotarm_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 22
     {
      replacemodel "robotarm_bodygroup.dmx" "lod2_robotarm_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 33
     {
      replacemodel "robotarm_bodygroup.dmx" "lod3_robotarm_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 44
     {
      replacemodel "robotarm_bodygroup.dmx" "lod4_robotarm_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $lod 55
     {
      replacemodel "robotarm_bodygroup.dmx" "lod5_robotarm_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $shadowlod
    {
      replacemodel "robotarm_bodygroup.dmx" "lod6_robotarm_bodygroup.dmx"
    }
    $poseparameter body_pitch -45.00 45.00 360.00
    $poseparameter body_yaw -45.00 45.00 360.00
    $cdmaterials "models\player\engineer\"
    $cdmaterials ""
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
        {"models/player/engineer/engineer_red.vmt"
     "models/player/engineer/engineer_head_red.vmt"

[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=Red]"models/player/engineer/engineer_mech_hand.vmt"[/COLOR][/FONT]
    }
         {"engineer_blue.vmt"
     "engineer_head_blue.vmt"
     "engineer_mech_hand_blue.vmt"
    }
         {"engineer_red_invun.vmt"
     "engineer_head_red_invun.vmt"
     "engineer_red_invun.vmt"
    }
         {"engineer_blue_invun.vmt"
     "engineer_head_blue_invun.vmt"
     "engineer_blue_invun.vmt"
    }
     }
    $hboxset "engineer"
    $hbox 1 "bip_head" -6.000  -11.000  -8.000  6.000  4.000  6.000
    $hbox 3 "bip_spine_0" -9.000  -2.000  -10.000  9.000  4.000  4.000
    $hbox 3 "bip_spine_1" -9.000  -3.000  -10.500  9.000  3.000  4.500
    $hbox 2 "bip_spine_2" -10.000  -3.000  -9.000  10.000  3.000  5.000
    $hbox 2 "bip_spine_3" -10.000  -3.500  -10.000  10.000  1.500  4.000
    $hbox 4 "bip_upperArm_L" 0.000  -3.500  -2.750  12.000  3.500  3.250
    $hbox 4 "bip_lowerArm_L" 0.000  -2.250  -3.250  13.000  2.250  3.250
    $hbox 4 "bip_hand_L" -3.500  -10.000  -3.000  1.500  0.000  5.000
    $hbox 5 "bip_upperArm_R" 0.000  -3.500  -2.750  12.000  3.500  3.250
    $hbox 5 "bip_lowerArm_R" 0.000  -3.250  -2.750  13.000  3.250  2.750
    $hbox 5 "bip_hand_R" -2.500  0.500  -3.500  2.500  9.500  4.500
    $hbox 6 "bip_hip_L" 2.000  -4.000  -5.000  16.000  4.000  4.000
    $hbox 6 "bip_knee_L" 0.000  -2.250  -4.500  16.000  3.250  2.500
    $hbox 6 "bip_foot_L" -2.000  -10.000  -3.000  2.000  2.000  3.000
    $hbox 7 "bip_hip_R" 2.000  -4.000  -5.000  16.000  4.000  4.000
    $hbox 7 "bip_knee_R" 0.000  -3.250  -4.500  16.000  2.250  2.500
    $hbox 7 "bip_foot_R" -2.000  -2.000  -2.500  2.000  10.000  3.500
    // Model uses material "models/player/engineer/engineer_red.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models/player/engineer/engineer_head_red.vmt"
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=Red]// Model uses material "models/player/engineer/engineer_mech_hand.vmt"[/COLOR][/FONT]
    // Model uses material "engineer_blue.vmt"
    // Model uses material "engineer_head_blue.vmt"
    // Model uses material "engineer_mech_hand_blue.vmt"
    // Model uses material "engineer_red_invun.vmt"
    // Model uses material "engineer_head_red_invun.vmt"
    // Model uses material "engineer_blue_invun.vmt"
    // Model uses material "engineer_head_blue_invun.vmt"
    $attachment "head" "bip_head" 0.00 -10.66 1.23 rotate 74.70 -90.00 -0.00
    $attachment "flag" "bip_spine_2" 0.12 1.92 9.64 rotate 0.95 -6.92 -1.52
    $attachment "exhaust" "bip_hand_R" -2.86 -0.54 2.68 rotate -37.72 -175.85 -11.65
    $attachment "partyhat" "bip_head" 0.00 -9.26 -2.23 rotate 75.00 90.00 180.00
    $includemodel "player/engineer_animations.mdl"
    $surfaceprop "flesh"
    $illumposition 1.347 -0.514 38.444
    $sequence ref "ref" fps 30.00
    $sequence ragdoll "ragdoll" ACT_DIERAGDOLL 1 fps 30.00
    $ikchain rhand bip_hand_R knee  0.000 0.000 0.000
    $ikchain lhand bip_hand_L knee  0.000 0.000 0.000
    $ikchain rfoot bip_foot_R knee  0.000 0.000 0.000
    $ikchain lfoot bip_foot_L knee  0.000 0.000 0.000
    $collisionjoints "phymodel.smd" {

$mass 100.0
        $inertia 10.00
        $damping 0.00
        $rotdamping 12.00
        $rootbone "bip_pelvis"
        $jointmassbias "bip_pelvis" 2.00
        $jointrotdamping "bip_pelvis" 0.00

$jointconstrain "prp_cord" x limit -30.00 120.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "prp_cord" y limit -35.00 16.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "prp_cord" z limit -130.00 95.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_hip_r" 0.80
        $jointrotdamping "bip_hip_r" 4.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hip_r" x limit -45.00 25.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hip_r" y limit -80.00 35.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hip_r" z limit -25.00 25.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_knee_r" 0.80
        $jointrotdamping "bip_knee_r" 3.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_knee_r" x limit 0.00 0.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_knee_r" y limit 0.00 110.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_knee_r" z limit 0.00 0.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_foot_r" 0.75
        $jointrotdamping "bip_foot_r" 7.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_foot_r" x limit -10.00 35.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_foot_r" y limit -19.00 25.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_foot_r" z limit -42.00 24.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_hip_l" 0.80
        $jointrotdamping "bip_hip_l" 4.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hip_l" x limit -45.00 25.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hip_l" y limit -80.00 45.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hip_l" z limit -25.00 25.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_knee_l" 0.80
        $jointrotdamping "bip_knee_l" 3.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_knee_l" x limit 0.00 0.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_knee_l" y limit 0.00 110.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_knee_l" z limit 0.00 0.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_foot_l" 0.75
        $jointrotdamping "bip_foot_l" 7.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_foot_l" x limit -10.00 35.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_foot_l" y limit -19.00 25.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_foot_l" z limit -42.00 24.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_spine_0" 1.60
        $jointconstrain "bip_spine_0" x limit -8.00 55.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_spine_0" y limit -15.00 15.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_spine_0" z limit -25.00 25.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_upperarm_r" 0.80
        $jointrotdamping "bip_upperarm_r" 16.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_upperarm_r" x limit -50.00 50.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_upperarm_r" y limit -20.00 55.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_upperarm_r" z limit -80.00 70.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_lowerarm_r" 1.80
        $jointrotdamping "bip_lowerarm_r" 4.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_lowerarm_r" x limit 0.00 0.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_lowerarm_r" y limit 0.00 0.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_lowerarm_r" z limit -85.00 20.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_upperarm_l" 0.80
        $jointrotdamping "bip_upperarm_l" 16.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_upperarm_l" x limit -50.00 50.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_upperarm_l" y limit -20.00 55.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_upperarm_l" z limit -70.00 80.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_lowerarm_l" 1.80
        $jointrotdamping "bip_lowerarm_l" 4.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_lowerarm_l" x limit 0.00 0.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_lowerarm_l" y limit -85.00 20.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_lowerarm_l" z limit 0.00 0.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_hand_l" 0.60
        $jointrotdamping "bip_hand_l" 8.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hand_l" x limit -30.00 37.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hand_l" y limit -30.00 50.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hand_l" z limit -20.00 35.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_neck" 1.60
        $jointconstrain "bip_neck" x limit -30.00 30.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_neck" y limit -50.00 50.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_neck" z limit -26.00 23.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_head" 2.50
        $jointrotdamping "bip_head" 8.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_head" x limit -25.00 8.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_head" y limit -8.00 8.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_head" z limit -15.00 15.00 0.00

$jointmassbias "bip_hand_r" 0.60
        $jointrotdamping "bip_hand_r" 8.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hand_r" x limit -37.00 30.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hand_r" y limit -40.00 50.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "bip_hand_r" z limit -35.00 20.00 0.00

$jointconstrain "prp_legpouch" x limit -57.00 17.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "prp_legpouch" y limit -35.00 30.00 0.00
        $jointconstrain "prp_legpouch" z limit -20.00 30.00 0.00
    }
    $collisiontext {
        break { "model" "player\gibs\engineergib006" "health" "0" "fadetime" "10"}
        break { "model" "player\gibs\engineergib001" "health" "0" "fadetime" "10"}
        break { "model" "player\gibs\engineergib003" "health" "0" "fadetime" "10"}
        break { "model" "player\gibs\engineergib005" "health" "0" "fadetime" "10"}
        break { "model" "player\gibs\random_organ" "health" "0" "fadetime" "10"}
        break { "model" "player\gibs\engineergib002" "health" "0" "fadetime" "10"}
        break { "model" "player\gibs\engineergib004" "health" "0" "fadetime" "10"}
        break { "model" "player\gibs\engineergib007" "health" "0" "fadetime" "10"}
    }

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You aren't going to be able to recompile a player model by using a decompiled .qc file. Just let Valve handle that if they choose it.

I'm fairly sure that the LOD models are stored in the .mdl. It compiles all of the .smd files referenced in the .QC into the one .mdl. Did it not give you LOD .smd files?
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is the light still a particle effect?, Valve might discard it because of that.

reason being? i don't see why they wouldn't consider it for a community hat just because it has a particle? its not even a new or custom particle, it uses the same particle as the halo does.

i could also make two versions, one with and one without the particle and send them both to valve.

Edit: btw i still need ideas for a third item for my coal mining pack
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reason being?
    greed!

particle effects are now attached to Unusual hats, that can only be obtained purchasing keys in the Store. an usual hat with a particle effect might not be good for their "bussiness model"

Zipfinator: I still need to test it ingame. for the World model I just realized I can replace a hat. But I would like to add or remove details testing it in-game from the POV of a player. If I discover how to extract and compile again player hands the work will be easier
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I doubt a particle effect like the one on AAA_BATTERY's hat would make Valve hesitant to put it in the game. It's not as if it has purple smoke billowing off it, so it should be fine. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greed!

particle effects are now attached to Unusual hats, that can only be obtained purchasing keys in the Store. an usual hat with a particle effect might not be good for their "bussiness model"

I'm pretty sure the engy's mining light has particle effect as well, at least the wiki description says: "The bulb of the light glows in the dark."
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey swizzle! are you still planning to do the tutorial you mentioned a few pages ago? because I was going to submit my hat but I'm sure I can learn a few tricks about compiling valve materials and if I remember correctly you were going to cover them.
    your TF2 Texturing tutorial is so good that it's almost blasphemy
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a gentlman wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the engy's mining light has particle effect as well, at least the wiki description says: "The bulb of the light glows in the dark."

The Mining Light doesn't have a particle I'm pretty sure, just a selfillum parameter in the .vmt which makes the light glow in the dark.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Hey swizzle! are you still planning to do the tutorial you mentioned a few pages ago? because I was going to submit my hat but I'm sure I can learn a few tricks about compiling valve materials and if I remember correctly you were going to cover them.
    your TF2 Texturing tutorial is so good that it's almost blasphemy

Yeah, I'm still working on it. It's probably going to take a couple of weeks to get everything written up and presentable, though.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    went with the B design because the continuous strap didn't translated well in 3D...
    I think it's pretty much done, need smoothing and other minor tweak; then unwrapping and texturing
    f2k2gy.jpg

4fv4ep.jpg

a couple of questions about Ambient Occlusion; for saving space I usually superpose things like bolts and joints, how does the AO behave with stuff like that?
    Do you render the AO from a mate white material and overlay it in the "painted texture" or do you just render an AO of said texture?

@Swizz: just two weeks? for a complete tutorial? that is impressive!
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    Quick question, I realised in comparing my minigun replacement to the world model that I might be making it too low poly since in game the minigun view model looks very smooth. Bit confused what to do about this, should I remodel the parts that will be in view?