Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    @ Davision3D
    thanks for the feedback, i did put the tooth on more for the world, and hopefully it will be visible in the reload ani ima have to make, the ice cannon looks great, cant wait to see valve implement it :D
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6005 tris VS the 3700 that the original gunslinger has,( I'm talking about the world model, I can't find its first person model)
    I still have to learn how to replace a character submodel ingame in both views and then make proper view and world models
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    aaaaaaaaaand a preview of the new hand!
    this is the firts overall design I like.
    feedback guys: what finger joints do you like more? the one on the thumb or the other ones?
    Lookin good Arc! Speaking as an animator, I prefer the joints in the fingers over the one on the thumb. It looks like they would give tighter articulation :)

Davision3D wrote: »
    I think i can call it finished now, also added normal details and specular map which is also used as the gloss map, works pretty well. A spikey "Iceball" projectile i made now too. Its a iceball that you better not put to your mouth! ;)
    Still need to make the 3rd person view mesh though. This one is at 4520 tris.
    freezegunFPVfin.jpg
    I hope a valve guy animates the reload of the canister if it gets in.
    This looks amazing Davision! Good luck, I hope it gets in!
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    I know this is a forum for previews, but does anybody know what's going on here? and how to fix it?

edit: nevermind, I figured it out. Had to get rid of that last check box.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Davision, there are no world meshes. The viewmodel and the worldmodel are the same in TF2.
  • Aluca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forget to properly upload the images in my last post, so since it still needs to be approved I'll add the images here. Model with 1503 tris. Sorry about my Engrish.
    jesterblu.jpg
    jesterred.jpg
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Davision, there are no world meshes. The viewmodel and the worldmodel are the same in TF2.
    I don't know if the weapons have it or not, but the gunslinger than I see in FPview has more detail that the world one, I guess hands don't work as weapons and the gunslinger IS a hand
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if the weapons have it or not, but the gunslinger than I see in FPview has more detail that the world one, I guess hands don't work as weapons and the gunslinger IS a hand

Hmm. Maybe the Gunslinger does have World and View since it's special. Pretty much every other model released since the vanilla game has been c_model's though.
  • PerfectChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering, how strict is Valve with the poly limits on hats? I read on their site they recommend about 800 tris but I see some hats on here that are almost double that.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    800 tris?
    doesn't the site say polys?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    well technically... a quad,tri, ngon ect...are all polygons.. usually when I hear someone give a poly count it means tris.
  • SoylentRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gunslinger is part of the engineer's body. Theres a whole different engie model for when you have the gunslinger equipped. i think
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The gunslinger is part of the engineer's body. Theres a whole different engie model for when you have the gunslinger equipped. i think
    not exactly, some of the models have submodels, most of them are just deleting the vanilla hats and leaving space for the new hats. with the engie they added a second submodel group that swaps between glove and gunslinger
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @colonel: the little metal tubes that attach the saw and the syringe aren't doing nothing for the model.without them the weapon should feel more stylized

aaaaaaaaaand a preview of the new hand!
    this is the firts overall design I like.
    feedback guys: what finger joints do you like more? the one on the thumb or the other ones?

5lbgh5.jpg
    Thumb, imo. Did your fix your polycount yet?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's not at 6005 polys, but the gunslinger has viewmodel and worldmodel like the hands of all the characters. once I learn how to access and edit both files I will refine the polycount

Edit: also, new avatar
    t5j7ee.jpg
  • StealthSilver
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    once you learn how to make faces, you can't stop
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Hmm. Maybe the Gunslinger does have World and View since it's special. Pretty much every other model released since the vanilla game has been c_model's though.

I find that very strange that there are no view and world, i mean the pyro has 4203 tris as i have it as the max source model. From the contribute page it says that weapon models need to be under 8000 polys. That would mean the weapon could have almost twice as many polys as the actual character in "world"!? Or do the characters have LODs that are much higher?
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Pyro's count is way lower than the other characters' because he has a mask rather than a face.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The character models all have LODs, some of them going down to less than 1000 tris although I don't think they use ones that low. Nearly every weapon (I think Gunslinger is the only one that doesn't use it) since the vanilla game uses c_models though, which uses the same model for world and view and don't have LODs to my knowledge. Even the 18k triangle Ambassador doesn't have a world model.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Whats the highest LOD of a character like?
    I think im gonna make a lower mesh anyway, then valve can decide what they want do with it and even put only the lower one in if they like.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D wrote: »
    Whats the highest LOD of a character like?
    the one that you see in the mdoel viewer
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's odd everyone is having a problem with GCFScape, mine is still working fine with the larger TF2 file.
  • Psychojake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I'm new to Polycount. I have just created a TF2 model for the demoman, it's just a simple cube. I got all the bip_head and things correct, it's the right size on the demoman's head. The bad thing, it has the pink and black "no texture" texture. I followed all of the troubleshooting tips on this site: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109465 . I was using Blender and I need some help? Can anybody help me with this problem?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the last idea before going to sleep

a quick shitty paintover of two designs. knuckes and side hand area
    what do you think? (feel free to mix both concepts and even more free to suggest ideas that are actually good)
    155tbmx.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8

what do you think? (feel free to mix both concepts and even more free to suggest ideas that are actually good)
    155tbmx.jpg

I'd go with the belt. The kill scratch thing is WAAAAY overdone plus the belt fits better with the theme. Maybe you could also include some cogs and gears and stuff
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna go with Sukotto on this one, belt kinda fits the glove better.

Oh and I LOVE it, can't wait to see it in-game :d
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im having a problem attaching a particle effect to my hat, it always seems to spawn at the tip of the flame thrower and i cant figure out why.
    $cd "D:\Users\Cody\Documents\maya\projects\tf2 hats\scenes\pyro hats\coal miner\hat"
    $modelname "player\items\pyro\pyro_pyrolean.mdl"
    $model "body" "ref.smd"
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\pyro\"
    $keyvalues
    {
        particles
        {
            effect
            {
                name            "halopoint"
                attachment_type        "follow_attachment"
                attachment_point    "light_particle"
            }

}
    }

$hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_head" -0.308  -2.622  -2.722  9.350  2.821  2.722
    // Model uses material "models/player/items/pyro/coal miner.vtf"
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition -0.028 0.000 1.604
    $sequence idle "idle" fps 30.00

this is my qc file, anyone know what im doing wrong? light_particle is a bone placed just in front of the light bulb.

cpdustbowl0111.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I agree that the kill marks is very overdone. My vote is for the belt :)
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any crits before I submit?

2a63812.jpg
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAA_Battery,

Looking at this, http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particles_On_Models maybe you don't need quotation marks around the attachment type or attachment point?

Monkeez, I might add some splotches to the metal bit and make the nail heads a lighter color so they stand out more.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AAA_Battery, you should just paint the bulb white/yellow and give it selfillum like the Mining Light hat does.

@Monkeez, that looks pretty good. I'm a bit tired of medieval weapons though.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    last update for the night, haven't work on it in several hrs, but heres where im at, started the actual bow part, tweaked the plungers and optimized parts of the clip that can be seen right now.

NewUpdateCombo.jpg
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    last update for the night, haven't work on it in several hrs, but heres where im at, started the actual bow part, tweaked the plungers and optimized parts of the clip that can be seen right now.

NewUpdateCombo.jpg

This is looking great kite :) Can't wait to see it when the model is complete!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Figured this would be a good place to ask, is there a Polycount TF2 server? I saw a thread on this subject a while ago...but old thread is old
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they used to have a server, i dont know if its still up or not.

btw i got my particle issues worked out, will post pics once i get the self illumination looking better, currently its too bright for how yellow the particle is.
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monkeez wrote: »
    Any crits before I submit?

That ball is jiggleboned, right?
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monkeez: Nice! I like it, the chains are animted or jiggleboned right :P?

If they are; Could you please post a video or .gif of it :)?

If they aren't then consider that my crits. ;)
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My newest project (WIP):

Surgeon: 1182 tris - 594 polys
    surgeonwip.jpg

Any comments/critiques/suggestions? I'm not sure what is going on with that one polygon on the glasses attachment, but I'll fix that tomorrow :P

Here is my reference:
    Surgeon_operating,_Fitzsimons_Army_Medical_Center,_circa_1990.JPEG
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yesyesyes.jpg

now to work on the texture more, and im going to play with some less intense self illumination right around the bulb, so it looks less out of place.

(it also flickers a bit, i will make a video when its finished)
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Autokey I think that you did a good job on the hat, but I think chances of it being accepted in game are a little slim. Not because of the quality (by any means) but because it would result in major clipping issues when used with the medics misc. Maybe you could make two versions, one with the mask and one without. Oh and nice idea, btw.

@AAA_battery looking good. No crits right now, you mentioned all I thought needed fixing :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to paint some lighting in on that piece around the bulb. It's pitch black around the light in game. Also that particle isn't a very good choice in my opinion. Something circular would probably be better.

Otherwise it's looking pretty nice.
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup the chain is jiggleboned, I would love to do a video of it but I may not have time. I've just accepted some contract work that I'll have to temporarily relocate for and am quite busy at the moment :). If I can squeeze in time I'll try get a video up.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my only complaint about the mask, is that the elastic strap looks loose, and the mask would fall off. perhaps just making straighter, so their wasn't that slack hanging down. or one of the other possible fixes in the picture.

rfetgygugigytrewdfgh.jpg
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yesyesyes.jpg

now to work on the texture more, and im going to play with some less intense self illumination right around the bulb, so it looks less out of place.

Particle effects may look cool, but with the advent of Unusual hats, I doubt any hats using particle effects will get accepted.
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey: I was going to type a comment but RedSheep summed up everything I was going to say.

Oh and the Coal Miner's looking pretty good, perhaps you could try to make the cap itself more noticeable though :)
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    clockhat1.png

I have the clock hands modeled as well, just not placed yet (I'm debating shortening the depth of the clock itself so it looks better). I'm really beginning to like this hat idea. My next task is to break up the symmetry a bit (mostly with the 'spikes' on the back) and then begin figuring out exact texture specifics. I'm thinking of using mostly simple base colors and doing some explosion/burn damage on the spikes/frayed ends, and then maybe doing something like a phong mask on the clock and the metal to make them have a nice shine on them?

Any critiques are more than welcome!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not familiar with the kind of thing I'm seeing.

What exactly are you working on there, Base?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Looking good Monkeez. It maybe lacks a bit of AO on the handle, near the metal pieces and on the leather strip.
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yesyesyes.jpg

I really like this hat
    looking great with the light
    Maybe look at the Engies mining light for some refs to make it better if you can