Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    In case you've missed it, Valve asks for Christmas themed items before the 1st december.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The texture referenced in the SMD should be the TGA texture right? The one that resides in materialsrc/models?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Try dxt5 as vtf file format ?
    In the model viewer, you can check if the vmt is correctly loaded (i don't remember on which tab) If not, probably a typo in your qc. If it's loaded but no texture, typo in the vmt or bad texture format.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I dunno. Here:

QC
    $modelname "HelpingHand.mdl"
    $cdmaterials models\
    $upaxis Y
    $scale 1
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $keyvalues { "prop_data" { "base" "Wooden.Large" } }
    $body "Body" "HelpingHand"

$lod 1
    {
    replacemodel "HelpingHand" "HelpingHand_LOD_1"
    }
    $sequence idle "HelpingHand_idle" loop fps 1
    $collisionmodel "HelpingHand_phy.smd"
    {
    $mass 1
    $concave
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle1" {
    	has_base_spring {
    		stiffness 300
    		damping 7
    		left_constraint -0.5 0.5
    		up_constraint -0.2  0.2
    		forward_constraint 0  0
    	}
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle2" {
    	is_flexible {
    		yaw_stiffness 100
    		yaw_damping 7
    		pitch_stiffness 100
    		pitch_damping 7
                    length 40
    		angle_constraint 20
    	}
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle3" {
    	is_flexible {
    		yaw_stiffness 100
    		yaw_damping 7
    		pitch_stiffness 100
    		pitch_damping 7
                    length 40
    		angle_constraint 20
    	}
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle4" {
    	is_flexible {
    		yaw_stiffness 100
    		yaw_damping 7
                    yaw_constraint -5 5
                    pitch_stiffness 100
    		pitch_damping 7
                    pitch_constraint -5 5
                    length 10
    		angle_constraint 10

}
    }
    $jigglebone "jiggle5" {
    	is_flexible {
    		yaw_stiffness 100
    		yaw_damping 7
                    yaw_constraint -5 5
                    pitch_stiffness 100
    		pitch_damping 7
                    pitch_constraint -5 5
                    length 10
    		angle_constraint 10

}
    }

VMT
    "VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    	"$baseTexture" "models/helpinghand.vtf"

"$detail" "effects/tiledfire/fireLayeredSlowTiled512"
    	"$detailscale" "5"
    	"$detailblendfactor" .01
    	"$detailblendmode" 6

"$yellow" "0"
    	"$lightwarptexture" "models/lightwarps/weapon_lightwarp"
    	"$rimlight" "1"
    	"$rimlightexponent" "4"
    	"$rimlightboost" "2"

"$cloakPassEnabled" "1"

"Proxies"
    	{
    		"weapon_invis"
    		{
    		}

"AnimatedTexture"
    		{
    			"animatedtexturevar" "$detail"
    			"animatedtextureframenumvar" "$detailframe"
    			"animatedtextureframerate" 30
    		}

"BurnLevel"
    		{
    			"resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
    		}

"YellowLevel"
    		{
    			"resultVar" "$yellow"
    		}

"Equals"
    		{
    			"srcVar1" "$yellow"
    			"resultVar" "$color2"
    		}
    	}
    }

The VMT is mostly ripped from an Itemtest model. I tried stripping it back to just the basic "VertexLitGeneric" and "BaseTexture" without any success
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Is your texture in the materials/models folder? cause that's where it says it would be.

though it needs to be

$cdmaterials "models"

if so. Still, you should probably put it in "models/player/items/heavy/whatever_hat_name_is"
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's where it is at the moment. I'll need to rearrange them later for submission anyway.

dropping the slash didn't help.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Stop rushing out crappy items. Spend some time to make them look half decent, like you've done in the past. This and your space helmet both look very rushed and unfinished.
  • Szark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Szark polycounter lvl 12
    Jackablade: Try removing the .vtf extension from this line in the vmt:

"$baseTexture" "models/helpinghand.vtf"
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    $cdmaterials models\

seems a bit weird.

problem isn't the slash but double quote

$cdmaterials "models\"

Exporting for source isn't very complex but so much things can go wrong heh

If you still struggle big time, you can send me your files through mp, i'll take a look this evening.
  • roninsmastermix
    NeoDement wrote: »
    Stop rushing out crappy items. Spend some time to make them look half decent, like you've done in the past. This and your space helmet both look very rushed and unfinished.

You said it yourself. They ARE unfinished. That doesn't mean you can't submit it in the workshop now and reupload later.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You never said they're unfinished. Not sure why you'd want to showcase unfinished work to the world either, but each to their own.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Jackablade, what's the name of your .vmt file and what's the name of the texture you had applied to the model in your modeling program?
  • roninsmastermix
    You never said they're unfinished. Not sure why you'd want to showcase unfinished work to the world either, but each to their own.

I don't think i have to say they are unfinished works. You guys know i ALWAYS post update images of my works EVEN if they already are in the workshop. I value everyone's feedback on my works and i never intended to upload an item in the workshop for the SOLE purpose of showcasing them as finished works. To me it's just another vessel to get feedback and exposure.

I guess it works then since you're commenting on them right now, eh?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yep. Agreed. Some people probably didn't notice but my heavy picture was re-uploaded with a more up to date version. We like to show unfinished work to see if people like it.

Anyway I have a problem with the spiritual heavy. It seems I forgot about the devil...

FLEXING

When heavy cries or gets angry his forehead stretches causing clipping on the red paint. This suggests to me the only way to get that effect is to literally paint it onto the Heavy texture sheet but I doubt Valve would accept that. A shame really. None the less I'll upload it to see if the idea itself it liked.
  • jakeharold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think i have to say they are unfinished works. You guys know i ALWAYS post update images of my works EVEN if they already are in the workshop. I value everyone's feedback on my works and i never intended to upload an item in the workshop for the SOLE purpose of showcasing them as finished works. To me it's just another vessel to get feedback and exposure.

I guess it works then since you're commenting on them right now, eh?

Alright, who cares. I was glad you posted it as a bit of inspiration really. It's an idea that works well. I'd hope you'd either model it to look good outside of xmas, or have a style for the rest of the year. Xmas items in general are so lame.

Speaking of lame, here's somethitng I'm working on.

tumblr_lur8o0FCxZ1qixci7o1_500.png
  • roninsmastermix
    jakeharold wrote: »
    Alright, who cares. I was glad you posted it as a bit of inspiration really. It's an idea that works well. I'd hope you'd either model it to look good outside of xmas, or have a style for the rest of the year. Xmas items in general are so lame.
    That's my idea. I don't celebrate x-mas but that won't stop me from making a year long item. Hence the "Not only for the holidays!" tag on the description.
  • jakeharold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if anything it's better than last years tree.
    tumblr_lurcntCODN1qixci7o1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1321540834&Signature=e3pIABvCi4%2FpLN5%2FGslk6px26oo%3D
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    The presents should open up and lots of sparkly / colourful confetti flies out.

Anyway I've uploaded the first iteration of the Balima.

balima_team_fortress_2_heavy_costume_by_habboi-d4gcrna.png

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=4092
    Maybe some fancy ear modification for the heavy too...

If you want to make them then go for it. Thanks for the support.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakeharold wrote: »
    Well, if anything it's better than last years tree.
    tumblr_lurcntCODN1qixci7o1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1321540834&Signature=e3pIABvCi4%2FpLN5%2FGslk6px26oo%3D

but... but... I love that tree! XD
    no, seriously... I even have a scorching one :P
    anyway, those presents look nice :)
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly developing (crappy) modeling skills. Maybe I'll have my fishing sniper set done by the next summer update.

In the meantime if anyone needs ideas for weapons/hats/misc./sets, I've got some ranging from good ideas to not that good ideas. (I won't mind if you add me to the creators list, if you choose to model my ideas :) [only if you want to thank me though])
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    So I noticed this Christmas fever and found out Valve actually asked for some Christmas stuff so I'm doing the most cliche'd thing ever.

A Christmas Wraithe. I was about to write a list of stuff that's personal to each class like little miniguns and baseball bats but then I remember Ronin saying something about Valve not liking weapons on cosmetic items as it breaks the character or something.

For the moment I have generic stuff like bobbles, lights, ribbons and stars. Is there anything personal I can create so that each one defines the class in a non breaking way?
  • jakeharold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    So I noticed this Christmas fever and found out Valve actually asked for some Christmas stuff so I'm doing the most cliche'd thing ever.

A Christmas Wraithe. I was about to write a list of stuff that's personal to each class like little miniguns and baseball bats but then I remember Ronin saying something about Valve not liking weapons on cosmetic items as it breaks the character or something.

For the moment I have generic stuff like bobbles, lights, ribbons and stars. Is there anything personal I can create so that each one defines the class in a non breaking way?

I was making a misc writhe that hands around the demos neck called 'The Writher',so game on with that one! :P

I was going to add bomb boorbles to it for the demo. I thought about making it all class, but I was just going to use their cless emblems to represent each one.

Please don't let this stop you from making your own writhe.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Don't worry it doesn't. I see it as a competition and a good example is the three types of sniper apples. One is clearly the best and that's what you have to aim for. That's a nice idea with the emblems, mind if I borrow it? :D
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skizot polycounter lvl 18
    SUBMITTED!
    1F95E27066EC5448531A417DC680C044522D5B12
    494EA0988DB3C54AC63FCE9A98776A7AAAA304C0

yay for recycling my last year submissions!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I just wish you'd use a better quality picture is all :)
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about making a "Santa Sack" for the Scout to replace his default backpack and opened up the Lucky Number 42 to see which bones it uses. There's a load of spine bones in the file along with the two I was expecting, so my question is do I have to rig part of my model to each spine bone as well? I'm guessing the answer is yes because Valve would probably have left them out if they aren't needed. Figured I'd ask here before I got myself in a muddle in case someone else has rigged something similar?
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they were regulation size for CONTRIBUTE. and i was half asleep and said "fuck it just resize them."
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dewzie wrote: »
    I was thinking about making a "Santa Sack" for the Scout to replace his default backpack and opened up the Lucky Number 42 to see which bones it uses. There's a load of spine bones in the file along with the two I was expecting, so my question is do I have to rig part of my model to each spine bone as well? I'm guessing the answer is yes because Valve would probably have left them out if they aren't needed. Figured I'd ask here before I got myself in a muddle in case someone else has rigged something similar?

you shouldn't NEED the spine bones... but if you feel uncomfortable without them, i'd say leave em in.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    04yBl.png

Rough draft.
    "With Scout's Mother in her kerchief and I in my cap, had just settled down for al ong Winter's nap."

EDIT:
    just found a list of ideas I made for Holiday items in TF2. since I currently have NO modeling experience whatsoever and I doubt I'll be able to make something halfway decent by December 1st, I figured I'd post my list here, just incase anyone would like to take a crack at it (just make sure to give yours truly some partial credit if you do :poly121:)

so, without futher ado:
    The Holiday Spirit: a bottle of Eggnog melee for the Demo. it's the only way he can make it through the holidays.

Confectionary Cake of Punching: the Heavy finds a use for all the stale, unwanted fruitcake. it involves strapping pastry to your fists and bludgeoning people to death.

Sweet Revenge: a sucked-down candy cane melee for the Spy.

Spirit's Scarf: Jacob Marley's headscarf for the Spy

Jolly Holly: a Ghost of Christmas Present holly crown for the Heavy. Come in, and know me baby-man.

Jolly Jinglers: Elf shoes for the Scout. if you want to go the extra mile, you can add in a jingling sound when he runs (ala the cleat sound with the Ball Kicking Boots)

Toyland Topper: a wooden soldier/nutcracker hat and cheek makeup for the Soldier

The Nutcrackers: wooden soldier foot bases for the Soldier

Festive Boxes of Gifting: aww, the Heavy got you a present! SUPRISE, IT'S A FIST.

Missle Toe: a mistle toe hat for all classes. I know someone here made one of these a while ago, so this is more of a name suggestion

Little Drummer Mann: not sure what direction I want to go with this... I was thinking something for the Soldier, either a melee or secondary (ala Buff Banner)

Festive Feast: a drumstick for the Heavy. your goose is cooked.

The Merry Misfit: a Yukon Cornelius cap and earmuffs (a beard would be pretty awesome too) for the Engie. LAAAAANNNDDDD HOOOOOOOOO.

The Yule Log: a makeshift hammer for the Pyro. a fireplace poker with a log lodged onto the prongs. that horrible pain is just the yule working.

*can't think of a good name for this, let's just call it The Stocking Stuffer*: a coal-powered flamethrower for the Pyro. due to his numeruous counts of arson, the Pyro found himself on the naughty list. and he couldn't be happier.

well, that's all for now. if I have some free time, I may just take a swing at something here, but I figured I'd post it here for criticism and all that good stuff.
  • Psyke
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Festive Boxes of Gifting: aww, the Heavy got you a present! SUPRISE, IT'S A FIST.

lol, I like that one :P
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    ^ lol, yeah that would be funny.

How about a present on each hand. But they are more up around his forearms and the fists are busted out the ends (instead of just 2 boxes on his hands)
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eu1g1.png

Thoughts? Colors are only there for contrast, I'm not even sure what they should be at this point. Thinking of calling them the "Mischief Makers."

Obviously footwear for the Scout.
    EDIT:
    just found a list of ideas I made for Holiday items in TF2. since I currently have NO modeling experience whatsoever and I doubt I'll be able to make something halfway decent by December 1st, I figured I'd post my list here, just incase anyone would like to take a crack at it (just make sure to give yours truly some partial credit if you do :poly121:)

so, without futher ado:

Jolly Jinglers: Elf shoes for the Scout. if you want to go the extra mile, you can add in a jingling sound when he runs (ala the cleat sound with the Ball Kicking Boots)

It's funny that you say that, because this is exactly what I'm doing for my shoes.
  • JuncoPartner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The elf shoe is looking great, though the curved point and bell is a little big, should be thinner and shorter.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @D-D-D-Demon!
    lol
    best of luck to you!
    they look great so far, but I agree with Junco, the tips should be a tad pointier.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The elf shoe is looking great, though the curved point and bell is a little big, should be thinner and shorter.

UKhD7.png

How's that?
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @D-D-D-Demon!
    looks much better.
    honestly would not be suprised if this got in.
    :)
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP Bells for scout, replace standard token.
    P.S. Maybe for all classes?
    bells.png
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zalakzik It's great! Are you planning on leaving it that silver color?
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Officially Licensed Nicolas Crowder Christmas Cap:

Olnccc.png

I'm not entirely sure I should continue with this hat.
  • jakeharold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_lus101kHUS1qixci7o1_400.png
    sorry everyone. Other classes coming soon.
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet Revenge: a sucked-down candy cane melee for the Spy.

it was suggested enough so i figured i'd give it a go.
    sweetrevenge.png
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Skizot
    looks pretty good.
    I'd suggest maybe making the stripes near the sharp end look a little washed out.
    I dunno, but the thought of the Spy fashoning a candy cane into a shank by eating it is way funnier than it has any right to be.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog - yep, exactly like that.
    Eu1g1.png

Thoughts? Colors are only there for contrast, I'm not even sure what they should be at this point. Thinking of calling them the "Mischief Makers."

Obviously footwear for the Scout.

It's funny that you say that, because this is exactly what I'm doing for my shoes.

Hmmmm that idea makes me want to reskin my medieval jester shoes and resubmit XD

scoutprankstersneakersb.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3083
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    again wrote: »
    oh, this is so cool http://bit.ly/vPOqer
    lolwut
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NywGB.png

Textures not final, showing off in-game compilation with normal map applied. Thoughts? Any preference as far as the socks go?
  • Psyke
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    oh my god that is terrifying, Pskye
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL wrote: »
    oh my god that is terrifying, Pskye

he's not that scary