Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• MagnificentMicrowave
    Good thing an image can be blocked.
    Anyway, the workshop refreshed, stuff is visible now. On a side note, how often on average does that refresh anyway?

Oh, and um, would anyone mind telling me how multiple class items are handled? Do I just submit a separate package for each class, or what?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Argh. My kingdom for some robust exporting tools. I suspect this might have been why I gave up on trying to make TF2 models in the first place.

I can't seem to get anything to export out of Maya 2011. I worked my way through this tutorial
    http://www.northcapestudios.com/blog/?p=45
    but only get a single smd file and a file with no extension which appears to contain similar data.

Does anyone else use Maya? I could kinda use some pointers on how to be less of a complete newb at this stuff.
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rendertest010001.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14351882/rendertest.mov
    360 quicktime at the link above.
    Almost finished unwrapping the leaf blower, just optimizing and squeezing in wires and junk. Then I'm ready to start painting.
    If any of you non-lisdexic coder types want to trade modeling and UV work for coding please let me know.

:-)

Best
    Mark
  • MagnificentMicrowave
    TF2_PeoplesArtist.jpg
    Eduard Khil's hair. (the Trololo guy, if you've been living under a rock) Heavy's beard somewhat ruins it, but what the hell.
    Workshop page
  • PrOOf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone. A little update of my mod. Added styles (3 emblems).

True Biker

8.jpg

Youtube Video
  • jakeharold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire wrote: »

You should call it 'the standard procedure'. And like I said on steam chat, that's awesome. How did you manage to get the paint preview images though? photoshop trickery or can you turn it on in MDLviewer?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    TF2_UnsafetyValve.jpg
    Was originally supposed to be all-class, but clothing and head shape conflicts made it look good on Heavy and Engie only - so I picked out the more fitting one of the two.
    996 triangles, 3 LODs, 128px maps (red/blu/normal+spec). First item ever made.

Workshop page

you could make one for the demo of the pre orange box version, where the valve is in the eye.

some sort of tag line for the logo, based on them would be cool too, the current valve in the back of head, is for there "Open your mind" concept, and the one from 1995 with the valve in the eye is based on the "Open your eyes" concpet.
  • roninsmastermix
    14m412e.jpg
    Recompiled and updated by Bay's suggestion. I feel really good about how valve chooses these items and how they really look for good models after all. This is not a very popular model with only 600 rates and at the same time, it's not a cosmetic item (which could turn into one if ever) Hope its a sign that they are looking at the rest of our models.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good thing an image can be blocked.
    Anyway, the workshop refreshed, stuff is visible now. On a side note, how often on average does that refresh anyway?

Oh, and um, would anyone mind telling me how multiple class items are handled? Do I just submit a separate package for each class, or what?

I think you can either submit a package for each class or pack everything in one .zip. I think Ronin submitted a package for each class for one of his items. I submitted an all class hat and got a comment from Bay Raitt:
    ".....if you have the all class variants, you should include them in the zip!"
  • MagnificentMicrowave
    Aye, I'll make it all class then. Thanks for info.
  • Bellers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellers polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, I submitted my first item :D woo! Thanks for all the help/pointers.

6333415226_5e2d873463_b.jpg

Here's a video as well, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3G_KbUkF1M"]TF2 Lunar Launcher - YouTube[/ame]

If you like it please vote it up! I plan to make loads more.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3821

Cheers.
  • jakeharold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the items in my workshop are now paintable! So I put these colour charts together to celebrate.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/76561193705811302/mysharedfiles

tumblr_luh0rjQa2j1qixci7
    tumblr_luh0rjQa2j1qixci7
  • MagnificentMicrowave
    TF2_UnsafetyValvev2.jpg
    Will update the page right after this post. Meanwhile, why won't you throw me a rating?
  • John67
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the pyro version. :D
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress on my gingerbreads
    QX9BJ.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    God sake Sparky, why the large image. I had to block it cause it was stretching everything.

Anyway those are some great gingerbread :D

Might as well post the first phase of Dr Heinz's and my new set for Scout. It's the first phase to see if it all works together. Which is does. Now to sort out the clipping and textures.

scout_wip.png
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    trophy_wife.png

by sparkwire and the cuntsman
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Argh. My kingdom for some robust exporting tools. I suspect this might have been why I gave up on trying to make TF2 models in the first place.

I can't seem to get anything to export out of Maya 2011. I worked my way through this tutorial
    http://www.northcapestudios.com/blog/?p=45
    but only get a single smd file and a file with no extension which appears to contain similar data.

Does anyone else use Maya? I could kinda use some pointers on how to be less of a complete newb at this stuff.

Export as OBJ, use Itemtest to compile. rinse. repeat.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    I decided to revamp my first ever model;

OLD
    fuckinghell.png

NEW
    0rLfs.png

0CtRo.png

Very heavily WIP still.
  • MagnificentMicrowave
    TF2_TroublemakerGrin.jpg
    Guess where this link leads, I dare you.
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    trophy_wife.png

by sparkwire and the cuntsman
    Suggested name: The Bludgeoning Bachelor
  • jakeharold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TF2_TroublemakerGrin.jpg
    Guess where this link leads, I dare you.

I think it's a toss up between the 'trophie wife', or 'the loving husband'. What we really need to figure out is what goes on the name plate.

Also: That mask is goddam creepy.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    that mask kinda reminds me of trollface. no offence ;) creepy as hell, but could work :D
  • MagnificentMicrowave
    It actually is trollface... even its name is "troll face" rephrased.

"Loving Husband" sounds better, also add old blood stains on the surface.
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Bellers; nice job!

@ Evil_Knevil; too awesome & too timely!

@ Habboi & Dr. Heinz; The scout set looking very cool, I want more...

@ Magnificent Microwave; Trollface is pretty funny, could use more contrast in the texture, more black in the texture less white. And maybe a little larger. I'm sure it will be popular on the Workshop!

@ Sexy Robot; I like the new model but I really like the metal plate on the old version's ammo box. It would be a perfect place to use a decal.

Best
    Mark
  • MagnificentMicrowave
    Not sure if this thread is also for discussion of TF2 submissions, but..

I shuffled through the popular item pages, and I see someone (not the only either) already made a valve like mine, and already has over 600 ratings. Worst of all, mine looks better and I'm not sure if I should be glad it's better, feel like I wasted time because I'll be overlooked or feel like a dick for "stealing" that guy's idea.

Also, it's obvious Valve can afford to include only so many submissions - and seeing as most of the good ones are made by people who either already are employed as 3D artists somewhere or did so in the past - makes me wonder if newcomers have anything to look for here, even if their work is outstanding relative to their experience.

And another problem, ratings. Regardless of the quality, if someone's been on the bandwagon of TF2 submissions before the Workshop, they obviously have a steady supporter base and know the ins and outs of promoting their items. I started three days ago, and only posted them here so far, earning me 10 ratings and a first five-star. If I can already see how hard it'll be to reach a milestone of 100 rates, how the hell am I supposed to compete with those such as the Mobile Sentry - with 16750 votes and going up? Again, it's horribly discouraging since I'm sure they'll pick just the loudest ones.

I'd go and whine on the Steam forums but they haven't approved my account yet and I'll get banned there quickly anyway.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I sat down and did a lot of work on my revolver under the guidance of Passerby.

Remade the cylinder, because I can actually do that now (hooray for me!). Higher poly than Passerby's one. Also remade the bullets to look like something other than blocky tubes.

Added a lot more detailing to it, based on some feedback, gave it an actual barrel and did a lot of fix up work on the grip and internal areas, because dear god I am a messy modeller.
    revision1.png
    revision2j.png
    revision3.png
    revision4.png
    Not sure if I should cut down on some of the polys, it's at 3906 now and I'm pretty sure that's a little too much, although I'm not certain. I'm still pretty new to this, as is evident, is that too much for a model?
  • MagnificentMicrowave
    If something's too much, you can retopologize and bake the detail so it's barely an issue. Valve said the poly cap on weapons is 6k but I don't know whether they meant before or after triangulation.
  • Hooch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch polycounter lvl 9
    Masich wrote: »
    So, I sat down and did a lot of work on my revolver under the guidance of Passerby.

Remade the cylinder, because I can actually do that now (hooray for me!). Higher poly than Passerby's one. Also remade the bullets to look like something other than blocky tubes.

Added a lot more detailing to it, based on some feedback, gave it an actual barrel and did a lot of fix up work on the grip and internal areas, because dear god I am a messy modeller.
    revision1.png
    revision2j.png
    revision3.png
    revision4.png
    Not sure if I should cut down on some of the polys, it's at 3906 now and I'm pretty sure that's a little too much, although I'm not certain. I'm still pretty new to this, as is evident, is that too much for a model?

Its 4k? Wow.
    It looks like 500 tris.
  • MagnificentMicrowave
    No, it doesn't look like 500 tris. Try to make a model with 500 tris and then estimate other models. My valve fits barely under 1000 and it's very simple.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooch wrote: »
    Its 4k? Wow.
    It looks like 500 tris.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSQ8JbyQo8"]Uhh no.[/ame]

uhno.png
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hard to tell where all those triangles are in such a small image. :-\

Although your handle (?) has too many triangles.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »
    hard to tell where all those triangles are in such a small image. :-\

Although your handle (?) has too many triangles.
    I tried making the image bigger but the forum limited it down to that size, unfortunately.

And yeah, the grip is probably one of the areas I'll cut down on. I already cut away some polys on the bullets, dunno where else, though. Might be able to do something with the cylinder or the frame.
  • JuncoPartner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I love the trophy haha good job guys, but I think 'Bachelor's Bludgeon' has a better ring to it.
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on very acid pyro set
    Anti chemical hood looks pretty boring, any suggestions about improvement?
    Hat.png
    And wip "Corrosive burner", any comments? :)
    corrosive_burner.jpg
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalakzik wrote: »

Seems way too big, if you ask me. And perhaps add some of the Pyro's insane fair to it? The Pyro isn't a "saftey first" kind of person, the Pyro laughs in the face of saftey and regulation, mocks it.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MagnificentMicrowave
    There's all of that, and the fact that the sorting (or rather lack thereof) is terrible. By that I mean everytime I click on "most recent" I always get the same stuff I've been looking at the whole time, there's always a higher number of pages everytime I look so I know more things are being uploaded. But the thing is I don't ever have 2-3 hours to spare going through each submission page to scout out anything that's new, so my only source of of new uploads come exclusively from this thread. So people like me who are actually interested in everything the workshop has to offer are pretty much boned, as well as anyone who isn't on the first few top rated pages. So yeah the whole workshop needs a shitload of work.

And yeah Microwave has a point about how certain ideas (like the valve, which I've seen done several times before despite being well done each time) have a tendency to appear over and over again.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyG90udp09Q"]Meet the Golf Trophy - YouTube[/ame]
    EDIT: This isn't my golf trophy.
  • Cloud_Leonheart
    there were not enough closeups, pans or zooms in that video. I demand MOAR! </s>
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there were not enough closeups, pans or zooms in that video. I demand MOAR! </s>
    Naw, there were plenty, just need to make them longer and slower...

:-) Nice product!

Best
    Mark
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    corrosive_burner.jpg[/quote]

Something about this one reminds me of this one:

romulusremus.jpg
  • Stirrup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirrup polycounter lvl 12
    Here's the latest model I've made, based on the concept by Blaholtzen who also did the excellent texture:
    Civil Pyrotection
    352faes.jpg
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Brilliant stirrup! do I hear hl3?
  • jakeharold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MagnificentMicrowave
    There's all of that, and the fact that the sorting (or rather lack thereof) is terrible. By that I mean everytime I click on "most recent" I always get the same stuff I've been looking at the whole time, there's always a higher number of pages everytime I look so I know more things are being uploaded. But the thing is I don't ever have 2-3 hours to spare going through each submission page to scout out anything that's new, so my only source of of new uploads come exclusively from this thread. So people like me who are actually interested in everything the workshop has to offer are pretty much boned, as well as anyone who isn't on the first few top rated pages. So yeah the whole workshop needs a shitload of work.

And yeah Microwave has a point about how certain ideas (like the valve, which I've seen done several times before despite being well done each time) have a tendency to appear over and over again.
    Meet the Golf Trophy - YouTube

Eh, the way i see it, if something has been done before, but it was done badly, and YOU want to make a better one, then you should. I've made a pith helm before the sola, a outdoor cap before the outdoorsman and a tiki before that medic tiki someone made. And now we've made a better golf trophie what crits ass! You're going to see the same Ideas time and again, but that's just more chance of one of them being good.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakeharold wrote: »
    Eh, the way i see it, if something has been done before, but it was done badly, and YOU want to make a better one, then you should. I've made a pith helm before the sola, a outdoor cap before the outdoorsman and a tiki before that medic tiki someone made. And now we've made a better golf trophie what crits ass! You're going to see the same Ideas time and again, but that's just more chance of one of them being good.
    I wasn't criticizing you (or anyone) for making something that's more or less been done before. I was doing it to reinforce his point on things being made multiple times by different people. Though then again I see where you might have thought I was getting pissy about that in particular after my entire post until that point was particularly negative.
  • 3DMark
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    3DMark wrote: »
    corrosive_burner.jpg

Something about this one reminds me of this one:

romulusremus.jpg
    Uh... I'm going to guess that you posted the wrong image? Right?

Cid, the way the trophy is being held currently is pretty awkward. realistically you couldnt swing it like that with any real force and you'd likely drop it. It'd make much more sense to make the figure at the top into the handle and strike with the base.
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalakzik wrote: »
    Hat.png

Perhaps instead of black-ish what about making the hazmat hood more team colored?
    hazmat12.jpg
    These guys look like easy targets.

About the Romulus and Remus statue, I did intend that image; just all of those cans lined up made me think of it. Maybe you could add another row of acid cans :-)
    It seems to be lacking a propellant like CNG, propane etc.

Romulus.jpg

Best
    Mark
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3DMark
    Yes, you get the idea. :\
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Cid, the way the trophy is being held currently is pretty awkward. realistically you couldnt swing it like that with any real force and you'd likely drop it. It'd make much more sense to make the figure at the top into the handle and strike with the base.
    I probably should've mentioned that it isn't mine. My bad, changing it now.
  • 3DMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey All

I've been modeling and UV'ing some new hat's today.
    (I apologize in advance if the image sizes choke your modem)

I'm planning on making them work for all classes, but it's on the Engie's head in these shots:

Metal-collection.jpg

Still working on the arrangement of the scrap metal and reclaimed hats.
    It's kinda tough since I'd like to keep those looking like the junk piles that everyone is familiar with.

The refined metal hat I'm calling The Refined Gentleman:
    (but I'm open to suggestions)
    refined_gentleman.jpg

The next one is a special model in gold.
    I'm thinking of naming it either The Refined DEVO-tee or Gold Mann Saxx:
    (Still open to suggestions on this too)
    Gold%20Mann%20Saxx.jpg

I'd love to jiggle-bone these so that the pieces slide to and fro as you move, but unless anyone wants to lend me a hand they will be static.

I'm not a scrap banker and I really suck at trading for metals, but I thought that a scrap banker might be able to wear one of these instead of spamming the game to let everyone know that they are scrap banking.

Let me know what you guys think.

Best
    Mark
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    call it scrap-head.