Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    hopefully it'll be done anon and what not, I still hope valve has a step between the public and submissions.. someone submits a pony model, it's adored by the public then we have hell. :(
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    that's what sv_pure's for. but yeah, the incestual equestrian brony community would game the system to force their pony fetish into the masses faces' as much as possible. Hopefully Robin Walker has forseen a situation already.

But, it does make me think of doing an experiment where I model a pony player for a game I hate (i.e. Warsow), but that would be too cruel.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Flat Face wrote: »
    hopefully it'll be done anon and what not, I still hope valve has a step between the public and submissions.. someone submits a pony model, it's adored by the public then we have hell. :(

leilei wrote: »
    that's what sv_pure's for. but yeah, the incestual equestrian brony community would game the system to force their pony fetish into the masses faces' as much as possible. Hopefully Robin Walker has forseen a situation already.

But, it does make me think of doing an experiment where I model a pony player for a game I hate (i.e. Warsow), but that would be too cruel.

Are you two even listening to what you're saying, seriously?
  • NuggetWarmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuggetWarmer polycounter lvl 12
    leilei wrote: »

No, that's not how things work. You should probably stop being so close minded.

I'm almost 100% sure that there will not only be quality control, but that Valve will not be accepting copyrighted content such as mlp or anime stuff.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So my little pony has it's own sub-culture now? This is indeed a disturbing reality. I can't imagine that the TF2 team will ever give up the power of veto over stupid items. On the other hand, there are already My Little Ponies character models in Saxton Hale mod.

Incidentally, Bay Raitt seems to have taken a bit of a step down from working on the Gollum model in Lord of the Rings to making promotional TF2 hats.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Jackablade wrote: »
    So my little pony has it's own sub-culture now? This is indeed a disturbing reality. I can't imagine that the TF2 team will ever give up the power of veto over stupid items. On the other hand, there are already My Little Ponies character models in Saxton Hale mod.

Incidentally, Bay Raitt seems to have taken a bit of a step down from working on the Gollum model in Lord of the Rings to making promotional TF2 hats.
    Mhmm he also works with and designed the source film maker for all of the Valve cinematics.
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    I'm creating a coonskin cap for the soldier or sniper.
    crocket.png
    crocket2.png

Now, to import it into Zbrush. My only problem is I have no clue how to make fur in zbrush. I made these little cartoonish fur pieces in max and I would like to just paste them all over the model in zbrush. How would I be able to do that?
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was using ponys as an example, I don't ACTUALLY see ponies getting in as they are copyrighted. I don't care about the whole pony/brony thing going on, it's the same as the furry fad previously, I don't like them myself but they aren't as bad as anime. Also the furry/bronie servers are always really nice so I don't mind taking advantage of their friendly servers from time to time :P
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now sporting a compact nuclear reactor.
    hvy_laser_gun_wip_08.jpg
    hvy_laser_gun_wip_09.jpg
    hvy_laser_gun_wip_10.jpg
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    re.wind wrote: »
    Now sporting a compact nuclear reactor.
    hvy_laser_gun_wip_08.jpg
    hvy_laser_gun_wip_09.jpg
    hvy_laser_gun_wip_10.jpg
    "Chernobyl's Checkmate"
  • roninsmastermix
    6237532261_b65506f232_b.jpg
    Back to work on the scout set. Trying out the SMG scheme on the gun. For those wondering if the bullet mag still clips; yes it does. But the clip is now smaller than the whole body is a bit smaller as well.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Very nice mate. I basically have no real crits but I cant help but feel there needs to be one more colour in there somewhere. Like silver or gold otherwise it's a solid model.
  • mat500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6237532261_b65506f232_b.jpg
    Back to work on the scout set. Trying out the SMG scheme on the gun. For those wondering if the bullet mag still clips; yes it does. But the clip is now smaller than the whole body is a bit smaller as well.

that's better
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Chernobyl's Checkmate"

win.
  • Piesandbombs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, while both words start with c - the alliteration isn't kept, the 'ch' in chernobyl is pronounced almost if you were saying share-eh-noble.

Sorry to burst your bubble; if you were going to use it, I suggest "Chernobyl Checkmate" for grammatical sake anyways.
  • roninsmastermix
    20gzyq.jpg
    Smoke (or whatever) grenade for the scout.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dunno how you're pronouncing chernobyl bro :p
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    people's inital worries about the upcoming community rating system are about ponies...
    *facepalm*....
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forsee a lot of gamebanana syndrome. Zomg it has sonic, 10/10

It can't be any worse than the current system.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    20gzyq.jpg
    Smoke (or whatever) grenade for the scout.

I really, really would like to know how you AO bake your models in blender. I only know one way, but it really does not produce that stellar of results.
    If you could just give a quick run-down of how you bake, I would very much appreciate it.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    RedSheep wrote: »
    If you could just give a quick run-down of how you bake, I would very much appreciate it.

Simple (2.59 ASSUMED) - go to the Render panel, scroll down, open that "Bake", then select Ambient Occlusion in the Bake Mod combobox, raise your margin up (mipmap edge bleeds suck), and then BAKE.

Then in the image editor, save your baked texture as a new file.

The model in the screenshot looks baked the way I mentioned, plus with the "Normalized" checkbox checked for brightness, and shown in preview in the shaded mode.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know if a c_model exists for the sniper SMG? All I can find are the v_ and w_models. Not that it's a huge deal, but if Valve is currently using a c_model I should prob follow suit.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you people fail to realize that they will review all submissions before they let people vote on it.
    also:

aqua%20regia%20promo.png
  • Evil0live
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Three items makes a set, and a set I have made!

The French Chef Set!

(no name)
    w64NL.png

(no name 2)
    jarWa.png

(No name 3?!?)
    9BCQB.png

What I ask from you guys (and girls if you're out there):

How the heck do you make those posters?

Names!

Thoughts!

Comments!

Criticisms!
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Evil0live

here's my thoughts:

Moustache: Frenchman's Facial Fur

Chef Hat: Taste Tester's Toque

Knife: Butcher's Blade

Overall, I like the design. Maybe have some alternate styles for the moustache, maybe have one be the stereotypical curly stache? And the chef's hat looks kinda... flat... maybe post some screens of it in-game? It's looking pretty good so far though.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The chefs hat doesn't look like it fits his head very well, and neither does the mustache.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I came up with an idea for 2 packs, and I figured I'd see what everyone here on Polycount thinks.

It's the Sniper VS Spy Halloween Special!

The Spy recently inherited some relics from his old uncle in Transylvania...
    "THE TERROR OF TRANSYLVANIA PACK"

Hat: Dracula's Dapper 'Do
    it's a vampire hairpiece and fangs (the default hair would look something like Vlad from Danny Phamtom). the fangs would work like the mouth guard on the Pugilist's Protector. I'm also thinking of alternate styles based off of Bela Lugosi and Gary Oldman's portrayals of the count.

Misc: Blood Stained Brooch
    it's a teamcolored vampire's medallion. just look at any vampire Halloween costume to get a decent idea of what this looks like.

Primary: The Count (since all the other revolvers have similar names; The Enforcer, The Ambassador, etc.)
    I'm thinking an ornate silver revolver. maybe have a slower fire rate, or do less damage. but every hit would restore some health.

Melee: The Mourning Wood (tee hee)
    since this is a vampire pack, of course this is an oak stake. my idea is that you can only do damage through backstabs. you can still attack and lose your disguise, but it won't do any damage. with each backstab, you get slightly faster. basically, it rewards accuracy.

Watch: Alucard's Curse
    an antique silver watch. functions like the normal watch, but perhaps with a decreased cloak time. whenever the Spy does damage to an enemy, the Curse meter fills up. if the Curse meter is full, when the Spy dies, an area of effect multisapper will be deployed from his body, sapping any nearby buildings (REVENNNNGE!!!)

meanwhile, the Sniper just conveniently recieved some relics from HIS uncle...
    "CAMPER VAN HELSING"

Hat: The Beastmaster
    think Hugh Jackman's hat from Van Helsing, maybe with a thin, long feather in the side.

Primary: The Woodsman
    a large wooden crossbow. functions like the Huntsman, but with a scope. it has no charged shots and it takes longer to reload, so it works like a Huntsman with a greater emphasis on accuracy rather than speed.

Secondary: Exorcist's Elixir
    a jar of Holy Water. functions in the same way as Jarate, but any sodden enemies do around 10-15% less damage while effected (Jarate is to Buff Banner as Elixir is to Backup)

Melee: Silver Slayer
    a big, silver knife (maybe have some pattern carved into the blade). it does 5-10% less damage to begin with, but does more damage with each consecutive kill. death resets the meter.

So, there's my idea. I'll see if I can make up some rough concept art soon, but for now, what do you guys think? This will be my first... well, ANYTHING as far as 3D modeling and the like goes, so any suggestions at all are GREATLY appreciated. Many Thanks!
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started these briefly , based on 1950's racing helmets and goggles. ment to go with the hotrod flamethrower i did awhile back. models are rough and the texture is just a placeholder.
    race1di.jpg
    race2.jpg
    thoughts on em so far?

@BanthaFodder love the names!
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doughnut Bear
    thanks mate!
    and I actually really like that Pyro helmet. I'm getting a kinda Wacky Races vibe from it. maybe add a number or decal to the side of the helmet? maybe the Pyro logo or a #3 (Pyro is the third class)
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started these briefly , based on 1950's racing helmets and goggles. ment to go with the hotrod flamethrower i did awhile back. models are rough and the texture is just a placeholder.
    race1di.jpg
    race2.jpg
    thoughts on em so far?

@BanthaFodder love the names!

That looks super dope! Hope it gets in game.
  • Plokman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evil0live wrote: »
    Three items makes a set, and a set I have made!

The French Chef Set!

(no name)
    w64NL.png

(no name 2)
    jarWa.png

(No name 3?!?)
    9BCQB.png

What I ask from you guys (and girls if you're out there):

How the heck do you make those posters?

Names!

Thoughts!

Comments!

Criticisms!

Ok I'd name the mustache the French Wax.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BanthaFodder
    A few of those have been made before. I've seen two stakes for Spy and the Van Helsing hat for Sniper. Someone made a sort of vampire collar and puffy shirt for Spy and I'm not sure, but I think someone made a holy water for Sniper too.
  • roninsmastermix
    I'm pretty excited with the next update! Congrats to those who also got valve mails!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    heh, looks i'm in.

csi_miami_yeah.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am i missing something? nothing on tf2.com, ingame, steam news, or otherwise. :-(

edit: Linky
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    i haz proof in ma mailbox.
  • roninsmastermix
    Am i missing something? nothing on tf2.com, ingame, steam news, or otherwise. :-(

edit: Linky

we got mails confirming one or more of our items will be added in the next update. Guess we'll have to wait till that update drops.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked my wolf-skin hat and beard from my Viking theme polycount competition, because i can't let it go. Wolf eye needs more work, but i'm very happy with the unique and recognizeable sillhouette.

soldier_berserker_headgear_01.jpg
    soldier_berserker_headgear_02.jpg
    soldier_berserker_headgear_03.jpg
    soldier_berserker_headgear_04.jpgsoldier_berserker_headgear_05.jpg
    Looks great, re.wind. I always liked your Viking set, you should remake all the items on it and submit it as a pack.
    And don't forget to make a reference to PVKII.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which i haven't played since pvk1 beta something or other :(
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Congrats to those that got their stuff in. Maybe one day I finally come up with something they actually like ;P
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    so they email people now that their stuff is going in? I always had to find out by someone telling me my stuff was in the store. how nice. :\
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick shield and reworked bearded axe with hat & beard.

Wolfskin hat tricount: 670
    Beard tricount: 204
    Shield tricount: 504
    Bearded Axe tricount: 1146

Hmmm, that gives me a big playing field for additional detail.

soldier_berserker_headgear_07.jpg
    soldier_berserker_headgear_08.jpg
  • Veko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes yes i'm liking it, make the soldier a melee-only themed pack too (like the demoman)

but i'd lose the shield, it's to much like the demoman.

Make him dual wield or something (primary + secondary) ?
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    above, fantastic fitting idea. fits the class, makes it unique for a class and would be sweet,

10/10 would comment again *no sarcasm*
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The soldier has no dual wielding first person animations so that excludes an actual dual wielding effect, like the heavy's fists, but doesn't stop me from adding a purely visual weapon to the left hand.

Sadly, all medieval & co. warriors, soldiers, freelancers, mercenaries, etc. used shields, due to it being so usefull. etc. :p
    The soldier has no dual wielding first person animations so that excludes an actual dual wielding effect, like the heavy's fists, but doesn't stop me from adding a purely visual weapon to the left hand.

Sadly, all medieval & co. warriors, soldiers, freelancers, mercenaries, etc. used shields, due to it being so usefull. etc. :p
    Precisely. Don't change it, if it isn't broken.

Also, you should write "You're no man" on the axe in vikings' runic alphabet, if possible.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    heh, looks i'm in.

csi_miami_yeah.jpg
    congrats to you and all the others who got in!
    incidentally, what did you submit?
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just double checked the list of items being added:
    • New items include: Sniper Bandana Hair, Heavy Bandana Hair, Spy Disguised Hat, Heavy Lumberjack Hat, Demo Hendrix Hat, Engineer Hair, Engineer Blueprints (this?), Mighty Pirate, The Bootlegger (boots), The Scotland Shard (bottle), Bloody Bombs (glasses), Solder Sea Captain Hat, Pyro Sailor Hat, Heavy Gym Hair, Scout Hotdog Hat, Pyro Birdcage Hat (this?), Medic Stahlhelm Hat, Scout Backwards Cap, Sniper Necklace (necklace), Flair Buttons (equippable buttons), Medic Pocket Square, Medic Stethoscope, Spy Inspector Hat, Sniper Cork Hat, Pyro Flamenco Hat, Engineer Cranial Claw, Spy Specs, Scout 3D Glasses, Solder Cowboy Hat, Pyro Conscience ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcSO-clCAAQ"]maybe this[/ame]), Scout Provision Hat.
    • HiFive Taunt Enabler added, seems to be activated by holding down the taunt button for a few seconds.
    • The Pummeling Picket has "item_class": "saxxy" and "item_type_name": "TF_Weapon_Sign", and also has customizable textures. Can be used by every class except the Spy and Engineer.
    • The Bootlegger, Scotland Shard, Bloody Bombs, Mighty Pirate are part of the 'Swashbucklers Swag' set, probably this pack.
    • The Pocket Medic can now be equipped by the Soldier.
    • Also added are Photo Badge, ID Badge, Stampable Medal, which have a "can_customize_texture": true, attribute.
    • Customize Texture Tool is a new tool you can use to create custom textures.
    • An expiration date attribute was added, use unknown.
    • Christmas Key 2010 was added, which seems to be a placeholder for a new holiday key.
    • Athletic Supporter and Superfan made craftable.
    • The beta weapons were added, with beta names, which seems to be a mistake.
    sadly, there's no sign of the Stalinesque Stache or the Boy Wonder (I forgot who made those, but they were utterly brilliant).
    P.S. sucks for me that the Pirate Hat for the Demo made it in. I had an idea for one (actually my FIRST hat idea) called ""Blindbeard the Pirate". it would be a standard Pirate Hat, but with a second eyepatch that covers the Demo's good eye.
  • Uber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire wrote: »

And how to install?, Theres no guide in there at all.