Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did the chainsaw get in? I heard that the chainsaw got in. please for the love of god let the chainsaw be in...
  • JuncoPartner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arrh feckers, I was working on some 3D shades!
  • APesquera
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steam workshop and the new item test under sdk look very nice. As usual steam is clogged up with every steam user simultaneously downloading the update...
  • roninsmastermix
    spykepisample3_by_rave8259-d3h2xck.jpg
    That's my item that got in. :) Congrats again to the others that also got new sparklies!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    CAN'T WAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIT :poly009:
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    :( Denied again :(

Congrats to everyone who got in though.
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I submitted the Stereoscopic Shades like a million years ago but apparently they added them!

3dglasses.jpg
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Been trying like an hour to get into TF2 to see if any of my hats or weapons got in. I submitted like 10, so probably.
  • Yamo
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats to everyone!
    god dammit Valve, RIGHT when I start making refined and stuff back, you drop THIS...
    and now I need the Hot Dog Hat, the Sniper Rambo Hair, the Pyro's Conscious, the Peg Leg, the Heavy Rambo Hair, the Medic Stethescope.... the Hot Dog Hat... and there's probably like 20 other things I'm going to have to trade for/craft/hunt down...

and we need a poster of baby Saxton retrieving the confetti from the bear.

EDIT: *checks item list*
    "and now I just gotta wait for the pictures to lo-"
    *NOISEMAKER- VUVUZELA*
    "*sigh* god dammit Valve... I'll go get my wallet..."

EDIT 2- ELECTRIC BOOGALOO:
    *One Man Army and Your Worst Nightmare are literally the same hat, but count as seperate items*
    "DAMMIT VALVE! it's the same hat! why didn't you just make it the same hat, but equippable for both Sniper and Heavy? it doesn't matter if the models are different, just look at the Team Captain! why did you do thi-"
    *sees Hot Dogger*
    "all is forgiven."
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    i see no weapons
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. 12 items submitted and not a one is apparently good enough. :'(
    I don't think I'll make any more items for tf2 if it's this impossible to get in.
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    i see no weapons

I got two weapons in - they have no unique stats, despite being part of a set.

However I got 7 items in in total so I REALLY can't complain.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    I wonder if/how much more the system will now be skewed towards the same 10 people getting items in over and over again.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    attending ppl complaining we destroy the game in
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    aivanov wrote: »
    I wonder if/how much more the system will now be skewed towards the same 10 people getting items in over and over again.

how is that skewed or a issue, those people are getting there items cause they are consistently coming up with good ideas, and executing the ideas well.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I resubmit using the new system or something? I just want an explanation as to why not one of my submissions were good enough. I mean the Flamboyant Flamenco is basically a less polished version of one of my submissions.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement wrote: »
    I got two weapons in - they have no unique stats, despite being part of a set.

However I got 7 items in in total so I REALLY can't complain.
    Why haven't you sent Saxton Hale any ideas on how to handle his dead ostrich situation?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I resubmit using the new system or something? I just want an explanation as to why not one of my submissions were good enough. I mean the Flamboyant Flamenco is basically a less polished version of one of my submissions.

you could re-submit, it could have got lost in the stack, problem is if everyone starts submitting multiple times your no better off.

just think of the amount of submissions people need to sift threw, hell you might have not got in do to the person doing it just being in a bad mood on the day yours came in.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Sometimes it takes (valve)time to implement stuff. I've submited the hat before the last update. And yeah, ppl doing the same idea, so, i dno, luck :/
  • roninsmastermix
    Nope. 12 items submitted and not a one is apparently good enough. :'(
    I don't think I'll make any more items for tf2 if it's this impossible to get in.

I've made 46 items in 7 months. There's still hope for you man.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    @passerby - by all means, I agree with you. I love most of the items / ideas that people like Svdl and Spark and NeoDement, Ronin, etc. make and am totally happy with them being rewarded - I'm solely wondering if at one point it'll boil down to renown driving the probability, as people will go "Oh my god! You're the guy who made everything! 'Course I'll vote for this!" - but this is purely speculation; I could be completely wrong, only time will tell.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    heh wish i had more time for the fun. I made only 3,5 items, but 2,5 got in :D
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »
    @passerby - by all means, I agree with you. I love most of the items / ideas that people like Svdl and Spark and NeoDement, Ronin, etc. make and am totally happy with them being rewarded - I'm solely wondering if at one point it'll boil down to renown driving the probability, as people will go "Oh my god! You're the guy who made everything! 'Course I'll vote for this!" - but this is purely speculation; I could be completely wrong, only time will tell.

im sure it could be a time things too, if you got thousands of models to go threw, to add to the game, what would you rather do look at them all slowly 1 at a time, or just filter my submitter and type in a name of someone who as made good ones before.

not ideal but someone has the ultra tedious job of choosing what goes in, so really the best you can do is try to make it eye catching, and make it easy ti implement, like already have compiled files and shaders right so they can just drop it in the game more or less.

so if you make something to submit, go all out on it, and make proper shaders and even do LOD's since it seems valve has been attempting to optimize.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I definitely resubmitting if my submitted stuff doesn't show up once the server is up and running.

If there is going to be player voting and whatnot and they don't see anything you already submitted then it's a must.
  • BanthaFodder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aivanov
    you have a very good point there... again, no offense to ANYONE who's gotten a ton of stuff in (believe me when I say, you deserve all the praise you get), but I totally see that happening. luckily, Valve still has the final say.

I actually think that Spore had a GREAT system for stuff like this. Everything you create would be uploaded to a different category (in TF2's case, Hats, Weapons, Maps, etc.). You'd be able to name it, describe it, and add tags if you want. Add a 1-10 ratings system and a comments section for feedback and suggestions. And they could have it all hosted on one site. The main page could show random/newest uploads, but you could switch it to display things like the top-rated, or oldest. Toss in a search box (has anyone used my idea? has anyone made a hat that I want to see in the game? is there a map based on X?) and you're good to go.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *sigh* Well, I guess I'll submit my better items to this new system. Apparently Valve can give feedback, so at least then I'll know why they're rejecting my submissions.
    At the moment I'm pretty depressed. I heard there was an update with 30 community items, I all but assumed that something of mine had made it in. :(
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eedobaba7726, why would you get upset about it, make models have fun doing it, and maybe you might get something in maybe you wont, which isnt really a loss, since you can keep it for a portfolio piece.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    @eedobaba7726, why would you get upset about it, make models have fun doing it, and maybe you might get something in maybe you wont, which isnt really a loss, since you can keep it for a portfolio piece.

I have fun modeling as much as anyone, and I'm sure these TF2 items would be good filler for a portfolio. But I'm also hoping to at some point make *some* amount of money. I'm going to have to pay for college in the next few years, so any extra cash from this would be a lifesaving windfall.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats everyone who got in!

now if i can only get my tf2 to update.....
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to the guys with stuff in! Might get to see any of it when steam decides to finish downloading it (and the item server works again).

I guess this also means that the tool for making MDL files they mentioned way back is here too.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Try to switch on a less TF2 nerded country in Steam download parameters. I'm at 300ko/s in Hungary.
  • Evil0live
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats to the people who got their items in! It's an inspiration to us who didn't.. x]. Anyone tried the new item testing thing? I don't know anyone who can get into tf2 yet..
  • Plokman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh stupid glitches with steam update! why my compy hate you so much? Anyway can't wait to see the new stuff.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im getting a good DL from montreal, trying switching to that going at 800kb/s
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evil0live wrote: »
    Congrats to the people who got their items in! It's an inspiration to us who didn't.. x]. Anyone tried the new item testing thing? I don't know anyone who can get into tf2 yet..

I took a look at it's documentation. Apparently they're enforcing multiple LODs on every submission now.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a look at it's documentation. Apparently they're enforcing multiple LODs on every submission now.

LOD's are really easy to make, so just make some up and re-submit your stuff.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    LOD's are really easy to make

lol. Not... really?
    I guess I'm just too good at optimizing meshes. Most of my submissions are really as low as you can go. Some of my weapons are lower than the reccomended polycount for hats.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Lower than hats limit ? How is that even possible ? o_O

I tested the workshop system, that's pretty cool : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=53
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya if your drastically lower then the hat limits, i think your counting polygons not tris.

@Cbast nice i rated it up for ya.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i see some people have been busy with steamworks.

Decisions decisions: sleep, or work on tf2 items...>_<
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried using the itemtest wizard, but the HLMV is just giving me a big ERROR symbol.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried using the itemtest wizard, but the HLMV is just giving me a big ERROR symbol.

i doubt i will ever use that, i got maya rigged up pretty good for exporting to source now, even recompiles my QC on export.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I got it to compile the model, but it's not rigged to the head bone, even though I selected that option. :-\
  • Evil0live
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @passerby

....how do you make lods? Just lower the vertices and recompile?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evil0live wrote: »
    @passerby

....how do you make lods? Just lower the vertices and recompile?

optimize the mesh, by removing edges and verts, just be carfull to no break the UV layout.

export it out as a new SMD.

than you got to declare it in your QC file, something like this
    //LOD 1
    $lod 10
    {
    	replacemodel "reference.smd" "lod1.smd"
    }
    //LOD 2
    $lod 20
    {
    	replacemodel "reference.smd" "lod2.smd"
    }

• eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes, itemtest wizard, what a reasonable place to put my hat model.
    Screen_shot_2011-10-13_at_7.15.24_PM.png

EDIT
    Yeah, I have no IDEA how people are using Steamworks. Everytime I try to comiple with this thing, it puts the hat in the wrong place, the hat isn't using it's spec map, and it isn't even using diffuse shading. This wizard is a complete mess, and I can't figure out how to submit without using it. I'm guessing that everyone who's submitted models at this point did it manually, because the wizard certainly doesn't work.
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This Steam Workshop is definitely one of my favourite updates. Now I can finally do more than just posting "OMG awesome" on a forum. Of course, I've ended up voting for nearly everything which doesn't really help. Except the vibrator...

EDIT: Maybe I take that back. How do people not realise it's for submitting models and not photos with unbalanced stat suggestions?
  • Watcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pogo: Thanks a bunch for that page! Definitely bookmarked for future reference!

The workshop idea is a good idea in theory, but as it stands, I can't even figure out how to submit something, which somewhat angers me. But I don't plan to submit many things until I finish up on my pack. It definitely needs some refining. needs more scrap metal

On the topic of my pack, heres a quick render of something I've been working on, as a Spy Knife.

iK4bUSz5bqMVC.png

Using this as a point of reference for the knife, I've begun work on the Scorpio (name pending), a knife that will work hopefully as outlandish as the design itself!

What I'm really looking for here is comments on the model itself. This is the first time I've designed in the high poly, and I'm only using this model for the bake and the AO. I'll work on the LODs and refining the lowpoly after I finish, to get a good idea on where I'm at now.

edit: Finished up the high poly. I think I'll be done for the night. Hope to finish up the low poly and bake everything tomorrow/over the weekend