Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Current state of policeman set for Heavy. Any criticism welcome.

loose_cannon.jpg

I guess the next step is... *gulp*... compiling. :(
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Great job! Love that set. Especially the colors and texture work.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The strokes for the hat still look weird the way they just stop before they get to the badge. Also, are the shades textured to have that reflection? If so that could end up odd when indoors, etc. Love the pack otherwise.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    SgtR007 wrote: »
    The strokes for the hat still look weird the way they just stop before they get to the badge. Also, are the shades textured to have that reflection? If so that could end up odd when indoors, etc. Love the pack otherwise.
    aFomo.jpg
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtR007 wrote: »

I'll try and extend those strokes in the hat texture. And yeah, those reflections are in the texture. Went ahead and tried out a style of texture closer to the "Hound Dog", with just a brown/black gradient.

Screen_shot_2011-09-04_at_11.29.49_PM.png

Better or worse?
    I'd say it loses some of the classic Aviator mirror style, but it does seem like it would agree with more scenes.
  • GunnyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since I'm having a hard time modeling a bat head from scratch and Sexy Robot has already done one, I've decided to go back to my original plan for the time being and see where that takes me.

Screen%20shot%202011-09-05%20at%201.20.37%20AM.png
  • SaltyMcShivers
    @ComfyCushion: Looks good thus far. Personally, I would have added a bit more plumage to the back there, but I am not sure of your current polycount and how much it would be affected by it.

@BuzzBrad: I think a good substitute for the American Flag would be the Gadsden Flag (Yellow flag with a Rattlesnake and the caption "Don't Tread on Me" from very Early America). I think, with the right alteration, it could be cool to have in game.

@Zalakzic: Damn that's large. I'm pretty sure that would end up being too flashy for a hat. Good luck though.

@SexyRobot: That is one awesome crossbow. Wouldn't want to meet a sniper wielding that. Are you going to add more panels to the front of your Gas Pump? It looks somewhat bare without it.

@GunnyBoy: Interesting concept, as long as it is given to the Pyro. I don't think Valve would give another class the opportunity to ignite people. It would be a cool to have the Pyro have it, and have some sort of effect like "Burn Duration Increased The Longer The Arrow Travels."

Also it looks better without the Bat Head.

@eedobaba7726: I personally like the gradient better than the sharp contrast, as it seems more overall natural. If you want the "Aviator" look, you may want to make it a gradient from blue to brown. With the right color scheme, it could be very effective. However, I would be wary nonetheless, as blue is a team color, and Valve doesn't want too much team color mixing on their cosmetic items.

Anyways, I unwrapped and did a very basic texture of my Bat Hat:
    2011-09-05_00002.jpg

2011-09-05_00001.jpg

2011-09-05_00003.jpg

Definitely not the final texture, but a basic premise. Comments and Critiques Appreciated.
  • GunnyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SaltyMcShivers: I think in it's current state it will have to be for the Sniper. Maybe it can ignite people, but only for 1/4 of the burn duration compared to the flare gun. It could be an interesting concept for the Pyro, just not at the moment,
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys, sorry to be a pain I just wanted to bump my trapper/huntsmans knife as I really would love some crits of it, its my first go at any tf2 stuff and u guys clearly know more about it than me!! :) Thanks

knifeforum2-1.jpg
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent wrote: »
    Hi guys, sorry to be a pain I just wanted to bump my trapper/huntsmans knife as I really would love some crits of it, its my first go at any tf2 stuff and u guys clearly know more about it than me!! :) Thanks

knifeforum2-1.jpg

Your model is kinda simple, my only crit would be that the handle is just too.. detailed.. keeping textures simple is what makes tf look nice.

otherwise it's pretty good.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eeb You could add an envmap on top of your brown-black gradient to get the proper reflections.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkoh.jpg
    was bored, crappy unwrap and shitty texture. its what the pyro would sorta look like if he were frank the rabbit >_>
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Tomm wrote: »
    Your model is kinda simple, my only crit would be that the handle is just too.. detailed.. keeping textures simple is what makes tf look nice.

otherwise it's pretty good.

I agree but at the same time, as it is such a simple model, the extra detail helps it.

In saying that, the wood on the handle could be more TF2 and just have more blocky colours rather than that realistic grain

EDIT: looking at it, it's not really "Realistic" but it's still very detailed
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I kinda wanna go a bit more crazy with the weapons but its meant to be a set of base weapons for a new class so they have to be fairly standard I'm told. I think I'm going to have to take the tally off the knife even though I quite like it. I'm gonna simplify the wood more too.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

knifeforum2-1.jpg

those cuts in the wood should probably preferably be modeled into the handle instead of the texture. Similarly for the screw and the other metal hole, at least i'm guessing they are texture as its hard to tell from the single screenshot.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that would be a waste of polys ^ the ambassador looks fine with a bump map and so would this, though she said she was removing the tally anyway
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I find the blood splat to be confusing. Because the hook shape at the tip, it looks as though the splat is still 'in the air' and falling on a regular drop-point blade. The hook just doesn't really register as being part of the blade.
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the above, the bloody hook is confusing at first.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkoh.jpg
    was bored, crappy unwrap and shitty texture. its what the pyro would sorta look like if he were frank the rabbit >_>

Thank you for doing this. I saw that someone requested it on the Emporium, but I didn't think it'd get made.

Concerning the model, you should make the ears higher poly - they're very jagged right now. Also I think you should widen the snout and make the teeth less uniform (like how Frank looks like in the movie) - scatter them around and vary their size a bit.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face wrote: »
    that would be a waste of polys ^ the ambassador looks fine with a bump map and so would this, though she said she was removing the tally anyway

considering that very few weapons since the ambassador have their own normal maps, and that a few dozen extra triangles probably won't affect performance noticable or increase the size dramatically, its the better option. IMO. and apparently valve's too due to the ever increasing size of tf2 archives.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11

knifeforum2-1.jpg

I personally think this is great, texture is pretty awesome, not too detailed, yet not too simple. I say throw it in-game and give us some screens!
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on Pyro Halloween Axe - Curse of the Pharaoh
    Waiting for your feedbacks
    pharaoh_curse.png
  • randomteddybear
    derpyzk.png
    finally started to texture this thing
  • bigbird42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    derpyzk.png
    finally started to texture this thing

Man this thing looks like a beast, I hope if they put it in game, they don't attach some wimpy stats to it. Great work.
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my whack-o-lantern.

in-game pic here :

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576681145039830401/DF42D24AE30812F2D0B59F8720AB91CF94299C2B/

Would you say I'm ok for texturing ? The model is pretty simple, but I don't want to make it too busy either.

I was thinking maybe rework the model at the bottom of the pumpkin so it looks more like the handle was forced through it, but on the other hand nobody would ever see that in game so...

YGpbZ.png

Maybe some kind of piece of cloth around where the hand holds the weapon, similar to what's around the axtinguisher and the pain train ?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    Thank you for doing this. I saw that someone requested it on the Emporium, but I didn't think it'd get made.

Concerning the model, you should make the ears higher poly - they're very jagged right now. Also I think you should widen the snout and make the teeth less uniform (like how Frank looks like in the movie) - scatter them around and vary their size a bit.
    aye aye captain!
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I really need help trying to compile. The last time I did this, it was a hat, and I had a ton of help. Now it's a weapon with multiple textures and I'm completely lost. :(
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits, here's another quick update, I really prefer the blood now!

knifeforum4.jpg
  • Mnemosynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remade my pack from last year's Polycount Contest.

bellhop_set_final.png
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Modeling for the shotgun is, for all intents and purposes, done. Apart from a few minor tweaks (like tilting the screen as per ColonelBD's suggestion) - this is the final shape. The screen is animated.

engieshotgunshowcase.jpg

And in-game:

engieshotguningame.jpg

Currently wracking my brain for a good-looking-yet-unique color palette for this.
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished my "Pharaoh Curse"
    Your opinion is important
    pharaon.png
    pharaoh3.png
    pharaoh2.png
  • Buzzbrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buzzbrad polycounter lvl 5
    Update on my whack-o-lantern.

in-game pic here :

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576681145039830401/DF42D24AE30812F2D0B59F8720AB91CF94299C2B/

Would you say I'm ok for texturing ? The model is pretty simple, but I don't want to make it too busy either.

I was thinking maybe rework the model at the bottom of the pumpkin so it looks more like the handle was forced through it, but on the other hand nobody would ever see that in game so...

YGpbZ.png

Maybe some kind of piece of cloth around where the hand holds the weapon, similar to what's around the axtinguisher and the pain train ?

I actually really like that you should make it like the pumpkin head so that the pumpkin glows as if it had a candle inside. Great idea and cant wait to see more screenshots!
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking maybe rework the model at the bottom of the pumpkin so it looks more like the handle was forced through it. Maybe some kind of piece of cloth around where the hand holds the weapon?

You could probably get away with adding both. Even though in reality it would probably go through it quite smoothly, I think the bottom should be peeling back just to break it up a bit (so it doesn't just look like a sphere with a stick out the bottom). From the screenshots it looks like it'd be noticeable from the user's point of view and the Scout holds it back over his shoulder in third person anyway. Oh and have pumpkin juice dripping down the nail thing.

Still love the Part-Timer.
    aivanov wrote: »
    Currently wracking my brain for a good-looking-yet-unique color palette for this.

Team coloured yellow! There's so many awesome Engineer weapons now, if they can't find something they like from recent submissions their contribution site has obviously been sending everyone's stuff to France.
    Zalakzik wrote: »

I don't really like the shade of red you've chosen. Maybe dark brown/wood instead?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's that donut? KILL THEM ALL?! GOOD IDEA! AHAHAHA! :)

Screen_shot_2011-09-05_at_6.17.20_PM.png

Screen_shot_2011-09-05_at_6.18.03_PM.png

Thanks a lot to Randomteddybear for helping with compiling.
  • Buzzbrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buzzbrad polycounter lvl 5
    What's that donut? KILL THEM ALL?! GOOD IDEA! AHAHAHA! :)

Screen_shot_2011-09-05_at_6.17.20_PM.png

Screen_shot_2011-09-05_at_6.18.03_PM.png

Thanks a lot to Randomteddybear for helping with compiling.

Haha that looks like the simpsons donut:

picture-1.png

Anyways thats amazing i love it i would so use it.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buzzbrad wrote: »
    Haha that looks like the simpsons donut:

Anyways thats amazing i love it i would so use it.

I think I said, but the set is inspired by Chief Wiggum from Simpsons. :poly142:
    The shiny pink donut is definitely also a result of that. :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Zalakzik wrote: »

pharaoh2.png

It's pretty cool, but there are two main things I'd work on.

1: I feel like it needs larger blades, maybe the skull could be smaller. I don't know it the outside needs to be bigger, just more blade.

2: tex. The skull should probably just be metal. Brown is OK or the handle, but maybe it's a bit too dark. That would be wood. But the pieces beside the skull should be metal too imo. Maybe mix that up with steel and gold for color accents.

oh, and I'm not fond of the handle offset, I would just put the handle straight into the skull base.

excuse the rough hack job paintover
    pharaon.png
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    The Pharaoh's Curse doesn't look much of Egyptian, more like if it's made by the Incas.

Call it "The Prisoner of The Sun" anf follow Baddcog's paintover.
  • Blue Paratroopa
    @eedobaba7726 Loving it, Thinking of making a version with a bite mark to submit?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sexy Robot i feel like the texture might need a bit more work, for some reason all i can think of when i see it is a fruit rollup
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    the_worker__s_rag_by_facepunchsexyrobot-d490r5q.png

I'm going to be perfectly honest. The model looked awesome but this texture just ruins it :/ I was imagining something more akin to the snipers veil but maybe it's just me
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys, i very appreciate this.
    Now, better or worse?:)
    Old
    pharaon.png
    New
    v2.png
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buzzbrad wrote: »
    I actually really like that you should make it like the pumpkin head so that the pumpkin glows as if it had a candle inside. Great idea and cant wait to see more screenshots!

Glad you like it, I will definitely try to make it look as "glowy" as possible :)
    Dewzie wrote: »
    You could probably get away with adding both. Even though in reality it would probably go through it quite smoothly, I think the bottom should be peeling back just to break it up a bit (so it doesn't just look like a sphere with a stick out the bottom). From the screenshots it looks like it'd be noticeable from the user's point of view and the Scout holds it back over his shoulder in third person anyway. Oh and have pumpkin juice dripping down the nail thing.

Yeah I'm gonna try that. Thanks !
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    Flat Face wrote: »
    I'm going to be perfectly honest. The model looked awesome but this texture just ruins it :/ I was imagining something more akin to the snipers veil but maybe it's just me

We went through several iterations with the texture, honestly this thing was a real bugger to get looking nice at all texture wise.

If you think this texture looks bad, just think about what it could have been.
  • KYB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KYB polycounter lvl 7
    Almost finished my new "Separatist" hat for sniper .
    In-game screens:
    Also it supports jiggle bones:
    previous version
    I've cancelled it, because camouflage doesn't fit very much to tf2 style, and phong shading also not a good idea to use
    #s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scrolling down the page, i can't help but think of a beard whenever i see your rag, sexy. i think its the shape.

At least the beard imagery i'm having has inspired me a bit. :)

---

As for this guy, i reworked the barrel from scratch, it looks better, but the barrel still isn't large enough to be noticed ingame.

C&C welcome.

currently around 5400 tris, optimized, and i can easily shave of thousands of triangles for lods.
    hvy_laser_gun_wip_05.jpg
    hvy_laser_gun_wip_06.jpg
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that sniper hat looks too similar to the desert one already in game but it would be an awesome counterstrike OP promo :P
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Question, if I submitted a materials zip that was 3.26 MB and the website said submission was successful, is it true? In the past, it would just ask for SteamID again and it'd be a never ending loop but they removed that so I'm just concerned.
  • randomteddybear
    c_cutlass.png
    almost done, just need to finish the lods.