Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Nzdjh
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    no,I don't look at that stuff,I supposed that my job was only to make a nice weapon then Valve take care of the rest,it doesn't work like this?? :poly141:

but,even if it require new animation,is nothing hard,i mean,for reloading for example the demo have to rotate the right hand 45°,so the "door" for the grenades is open lol :)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the more work valve need to do to get a weapon accepted, the chance of it getting in decreases exponentially.

2nd texture pass. need to work on them metals...

hmmm, i need a 3rd metal shade...
    life-o-suction_wip_014.jpg
    life_o_suction_diffuse_512.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the more work valve need to do to get a weapon accepted, the chance of it getting in decreases exponentially.

Then I hope to be lucky eheh :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    5vrxmq.png

Heavy is The Walrus

34j7g2u.jpg

Ah come on, I can't be the only one who thought of this.
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't. I realize it would need to be animated specially.

But, even with a custom animation, I fail to see how one could backstab someone with the fingers positioned like this. He would need to make some kind of thrust instead (kind of underwhelming imo), or to always hold it with the blade down even for regular attacks. That could also be a problem, because having your knife go into backstab position only to indicate when you can backstab is an incredibly useful feedback.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    no,I don't look at that stuff,I supposed that my job was only to make a nice weapon then Valve take care of the rest,it doesn't work like this?? :poly141:

but,even if it require new animation,is nothing hard,i mean,for reloading for example the demo have to rotate the right hand 45°,so the "door" for the grenades is open lol :)

yeah it's still far too high poly in my opinion, I'd say cut it down about another 3rd on most areas and even more than half in others
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it's still far too high poly in my opinion, I'd say cut it down about another 3rd on most areas and even more than half in others

it is intended to be like this,my "personal goal" was to make a silouette for the weapon that doesn't look like a low poly from every point of view & at the same time with less than 8000 tris
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This came out much better than i had hoped.

To do:
    Glass & scrolling texture
    phong mask
    Needle colour
    fix symmetry errors

life-o-suction_wip_015.jpg
    life-o-suction_wip_016.jpg
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Hello,

Back with another issue.
    I'm not able to apply this animated texture as a second translucent texture.

I'm trying to make the screen on the tv have a animated static texture. I've spent too long on this, and any help is appreciated.
    I also was wondering if I could put a mask on the base texture, so the static isn't stretched over the whole UV space. I already have a mask file that I'm using for the $selfillum mask.

QC:
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\pyro\"
    //$cdmaterials ""
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
        { "models/player/items/pyro/tv.vmt" "models/player/items/pyro/tv_static.vmt" }
        { "tv_blue.vmt" "tv_static.vmt" }
    }

VMT:
    "VertexlitGeneric"
    {
        "$baseTexture" "models\player\items\pyro/tv_static.vtf" 

"Proxies"
        {
            "AnimatedTexture"
            {
                "animatedtexturevar" "$basetexture"
                "animatedvextureframenumvar" "$frame"
                "animatedvextureframerate" "30"
            }
        } 
    }

Thanks,
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prepare yourselves for what has to be one of the worst ao bakes ever.

Presenting the Grill-O-Wisp (hopefully going to use the pipe smoke effect from the Mutton Chops if it's possible).

It has 812 faces or something which I thought was alright but then I realised that wasn't splitting quads into triangles (converting gives 1264 faces :(). That's too much for a hat isn't it? Not sure where I can lose 400 odd tris from as I was already being stingy.

grillowisp1.jpg

grillowisp.jpg

As you can see I'm definitely going to have to redo it so may as well get it right this time. Going to try out the tips on the previous page about stretched uvs (which is why I put seams in stupid places to counter it) but are there any obvious areas of the model that you think could go on a diet?

edit: Dangit, I guess the images are too small. It looks even worse up close.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    @ Dewzie

That is awesome!, I love the texture you have on the melted wax, too bad the polycount is too high. You might have to make a lower poly and bake some basic normals to keep the nice value of that wax.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1264 is fine for such an organic hat. valve have never put an upper cap on tri count, just to be sensible with them. if your hat needs more triangles, then so be it. Your candle oozes atmosphere already and those triangles are rightly used.^_^
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @eedobaba7726,
    I really dig the knife, but as mentioned when the spy does a quick flip around it's probably going to have severe clipping.
    And the blood is in a really odd spot, I don't think it's even needed.

But it would make a very cool Heavy brass knuckle. Just on one hand, and it looks dangerous.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another HHH Headtaker weapon for the NOTLU. Kind of a kukri-club-caneknife mash up.

render_purged.jpg

render_possessed-1.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZgrsqnFARc[/ame]

Personally I prefer the Bonesaw but thats me.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From that shot it looks like you should make the top edge and bevel seperate smooth groups,I think hard edges would look much better.
  • ColonelBD
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think we're talking different 'top' edge ;)

I mean opposite the blade, see the video, that whole top part is rounded left/right straight up from the handle. Looks like you have an edge bevel. I'd make the bevel on each side one group all the way up, and the center another.
  • Dr_Godzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »
    This came out much better than i had hoped.

To do:
    Glass & scrolling texture
    phong mask
    Needle colour
    fix symmetry errors

life-o-suction_wip_015.jpg
    life-o-suction_wip_016.jpg
    I really like the way this is looking so far.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I know what you mean. I'll see what it looks like with the sharp edges.
  • Contrebasse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on a melee for the scout : The Whack-o'-Lantern.

H4dD0.png

The idea is pretty simple in fact. The name popped up in my head and I thought I'd try to make the weapon that goes with it. Obviously this is still very WIP.
  • Seba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind: I don't quite like the colour setup you have going on that needle. I'd suggest making the large circley thing the same shade of gray as the tube that goes into it and toning down/removing some rust from the edges. Also, the teamcoloured bolts look really, really weird.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    f0b994791c495198ae84f4eec808b.jpg

More progress on my watch. The picture is just an overlay, the angle is bad :3 (It's not compiled yet).
    Do I start to UV ?
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture Update on our dead ringer replacement

WxnqY.jpg
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Made a Phrygian Cap for Spy, a hat often associated with the French Revolution.

Cap.jpg
  • Korby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovin' that lighter, Grimbodan.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Grimbodan wrote: »
    Texture Update on our dead ringer replacement

WxnqY.jpg

That's pretty cool man, keep it up.
  • genic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awww, thank you guys so much for all the kind words! i am very glad that you like the Flatcap so much!
    ive put this project off for so long that it actually started to appear a bit scary.
    Now seeing it finally finished and getting positive feedback really feels fantastic :)

ive been quite a bit insecure about the Gimp as well tbh, i had to guess about the Pyros chin-area and your approval means a lot to me.
    i have a few more things on my list and gonna keep you posted once i got something to see.
  • Sexy Robot
  • Super Bird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyrohappy.th.jpg
    pyrosad.th.jpg

- Top: No jiggle bones, all is well.
    - Bottom: It's warped and looks like a candle... Off pyro, the tip jiggles. On pyro, it goes flat/sheared.
    I also tried some other ways but the hat wasn't even on the pyro, didnt jiggle and was also flat/sheared.

The .qc for the Bottom picture.
    $cd "C:\Users\Outlaw\Desktop\Team Fortress Models\Output"
    $modelname "player/items/pyro/hotties_hoodie.mdl"
    $model "body" "Pyro_Hat_Witch.smd"
    $cdmaterials "models\player\items\pyro"
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    { "Pyro_Hat_Witch" }
    { "Pyro_Hat_Witch_Blue" }
    }
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_head" -4.023 -8.872 -7.958 4.467 5.875 4.791
    $hbox 0 "Jiggle_1" -4.023 -8.872 -7.958 4.467 5.875 4.791
    $surfaceprop "cloth"
    $sequence ref "ref" fps 30.00
    $jigglebone "Jiggle_1" {
    is_flexible {
    yaw_stiffness 100
    yaw_damping 3
    pitch_stiffness 100
    pitch_damping 3
    tip_mass 20
    length 20
    angle_constraint 45
    }
    }
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I believe you have to weld the jiggle to the base bone. Don't quote me on that.
  • Ducksink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducksink polycounter lvl 6
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Super Bird - I think @Habboi is right, can't remember if not parenting the bone to the bip_head can cause that though...

@Ducksink - Nice one. But what's that thing on the spy hands?

@Sexy Robot - Cool!. how does it look if you scale the outer edge a bit?

@eedobaba7726 - Interesting, but texture looks a bit blurred. Can you show it on the Spy? :)

@ColonelBD - Awesome model!

@re.wind - Nice work!

@Dewzie - A must have for my Pyro :P
  • OMGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZeeba wrote: »
    @Ducksink - Nice one. But what's that thing on the spy hands?

I believe that's just excess cloth being tied off on the ends, like a sack doll or something. Also, awesome model Ducksink.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Super Bird,

The bone DOES need connected to the bip_head
  • teerzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teerzo polycounter lvl 8
    rough idea with wh40k space marine coming out fairly soon
    heavy purity seal

thinking have multiple hanging off his face or something just as silly

zYYtZ.jpg
    99762_md-Emperor,%20Imperial,%20Purity,%20Scratch,%20Seal,%20Space%20Marines.jpg
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    Here i animated with Pyro//

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnsV1RJ9_5A

How it looks ?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2011090200001.jpg
    2011090200002.jpg

tons more to do with the texture, ended up redoing the uvs. small progress shot. c&c welcome
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face wrote: »
    the black lines on the money would be problematic in game, they should probably be spaced out more or just changed to be 1 shade of grey instead of black lines

and I still need help naming this guize

jstcz2.jpg

Bumpety bump, I'm yet to see any names I actually like, it's still yet to have a place holder name :/

EDIT:

The Gentlemann's Choice?
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    improved textures and added a placeholder glass texture lifted from the syringe gun. will need to edit uv's based on the 512 texture to get rid of symmetry issues, and tone down the edge scratches a lot.

life-o-suction_wip_017.jpg
    life-o-suction_wip_018.jpg
  • Slider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »
    improved textures and added a placeholder glass texture lifted from the syringe gun. will need to edit uv's based on the 512 texture to get rid of symmetry issues, and tone down the edge scratches a lot.

More brush strokes and perhaps darken the blood a bit, it seems almost as if it glows.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to do something like this, but it's probably too much effort to get it to work properly. Very quick skin job. :-\
    life-o-suction_wip_019.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    6106518148_7a38d603b6_b.jpg
    Part of my pyro set
  • Exclamation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. I am new with 3d modeling and Polycount. Joined because this is the program I have just entered along with this being my favorite online game.

I have never handled such detailed models like the ones found in tf2 which I got from the opening post. I am trying to remove the scout and soldier's basic hat in 3ds max. When I click on the model all the bones display but the entire model is grouped as one. I'm using what little knowledge I know to examine the model and find a way to remove the default hat but I just can't. I am using 3ds max. Anybody able to give me a quick tip how? Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you need to click on the model its self then head over to the right side of the screen.

I'd suggest looking up modelling tutorials and what not before getting into TF2 objects, they wouldn't be of any worth at first without modelling knowledge

---

Cough *few posts up*
  • Don Karnage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Part of my pyro set
    You sure about the microphone thing on it? It looks out of place on a retro pilot's cap *in my opinion*.
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the feedback on the Grill-O-Wisp, thanks. I played around with the decimate modifier to scale down the model just for a laugh but it actually turned out alright. There's no real significant difference visually (at least from my untrained eye) but it's down to 828 tris now. There's a bit of a dodgy area on the ao bake which I'm going to sort out, so it'll probably be closer to 850. I'll post a side by side comparison and let you decide if the extra polygons are worth it.
    Flat Face wrote: »
    Cough *few posts up*

"The Fagpipe" (like bagpipe but with "fag" meaning cigarette). I was reluctant to suggest it because of the other meaning it can have, which wouldn't really be appropriate. So maybe something like "Pipebagger's Pipe/Bagger's Pipe". Or for the lulz, pay tribute to the Scotsman's Stovepipe by calling it the "Scotsman's Stove Pipe".

And if that Spy voodoo doll gets in I'm totally going to name mine "The French Connection". Maybe make the tape team yellow?
  • delectablejam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ronin, awhile back I did a concept similar to your pyro-pilot idea. It's gas mask loosely based off of a ww2 flight mask. How easy do you guys think it would be to rig the hose portion?

flightmask.jpg

Another concept... is this too bizarre?

belldd.jpg
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    @Ducksink - Cute! Do the arms have jiggle bones?
  • roninsmastermix
    Hey Ronin, awhile back I did a concept similar to your pyro-pilot idea. It's gas mask loosely based off of a ww2 flight mask. How easy do you guys think it would be to rig the hose portion?
    I've dealt with hoses on a mask before...
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2672923/gasmaskheavysample3.jpg
    ...and its just going to destroy the hose when ever the player tilts or turn its head even if the hose is rigged to a different part of the body. I considered it with this helm i'm making but had to drop the idea as it just wont work.