Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Eternity
    to start getting my portfolio in better shape I am now trying to work on game assets. So I am trying to make stuff for Team Fortress 2 and hope they get submitted.

That being said I have never actually put anything in a game before or know the pipeline process of making Team Fortress Stuff.

But Here is a couple of Demoman items I made. The first based on his drinking habits and the last is a pump action grenade launcher based off the China Lake Model of Grenade Launchers.

I problem currently is I have just noticed that a lot of guns in TF2 have curved down stocks to fit the characters hands. It is something I just realized, so I have been figuring out how to access the models and put them into maya. Something I just figured out moments ago. But they are just in a default T pose, and though their are some rigged ones to work with. I don't know what the appropriate pose is for holding weapons or even if it matters.

It would also be helpful to know texture color schemes and whatnot when I get to that.

skottishkeg.jpg

chinalake.jpg
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Some shots in the model viewer of my Aviator specs and stache.

Screen_shot_2011-09-07_at_1.21.43_AM.png

Screen_shot_2011-09-07_at_1.21.07_AM.png

I'd like to take a shot of the cop hat and the specs at the same time, but I can't figure out how to load it all into the viewer at once. When I do load weapon, it deletes the "weapon" that's already loaded.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @eedo, you can only have one hat/weapon loaded at once. There's no way around that. Everyone who shows multiple items at once just merges photos of each item being worn in photoshop.
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Went ahead and did that, though it's kind of tedious.
    Screen_shot_2011-09-07_at_2.06.09_AM.png
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    re.wind wrote: »

As for this guy, i reworked the barrel from scratch, it looks better, but the barrel still isn't large enough to be noticed ingame.

C&C welcome.

currently around 5400 tris, optimized, and i can easily shave of thousands of triangles for lods.
    hvy_laser_gun_wip_05.jpg
    You could take a few cues from the other laser in Team Fortress.
    637749-tf2_0048.jpg
    You're already not that far from the Gravel Pit laser. Just making the coils spiral around the barrel and glow white would likely work well. You could also consider changing the muzzle to have the radar-ish appearance, though that'd be a sizable alteration to your design which is already working quite well. Something to consider at least.
  • Flat Face
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    We went through several iterations with the texture, honestly this thing was a real bugger to get looking nice at all texture wise.

If you think this texture looks bad, just think about what it could have been.

I'm not saying it looks bad, I just think it could have been better :) I loved the one with the patch you posted on facepunch *just remembered that forum exists*

--

Those heavy glasses, I don't want to be a douche but the heavy already has the hound dog shades and security specs, do you really think he needs a 3rd pair? the stash alone would be fine, especially when the 2nd misc slot pops up
  • re.wind
    Jackablade wrote: »
    You could take a few cues from the other laser in Team Fortress.
    637749-tf2_0048.jpg
    You're already not that far from the Gravel Pit laser. Just making the coils spiral around the barrel and glow white would likely work well. You could also consider changing the muzzle to have the radar-ish appearance, though that'd be a sizable alteration to your design which is already working quite well. Something to consider at least.
    Yeah, i tried the spiral design before i came up with what i have now --which is inspired by that laser-- but i had trouble getting the spiral spline to behave, so i dropped it. will see if i can get a spiral(y) shape in without going bonkers on triangle count. Not sure i like the radar dish, as i'm guessing it would block a large portion of the first person view. doesn't hurt to try though. :)
  • Zalakzik
    One little question guys: manthreads replaces soldier boots or cover standart boots?
  • APesquera
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    Hey guys, I'm going to design a melee+hat for the engie to make a full set with the whole energy sentry thing and I could use some help with the hat. Anyone knows what's the name of this kind of hat?:

sombrerow.jpg

With the three oval pieces and all.
  • Mnemosynaut
  • CidTheNinja
    @Sexy Robot
    I have to agree with Flatface on this one. It doesn't really look like a bandana, try to texture it like the heavy duty rag maybe. I would also consider making a different pattern because this one doesn't seem too appealing to me (maybe it's just me, who knows?)
    @Mnemosynaunt
    Damn, I have to say that's very nice. The reference to Irish myth makes this even better. For those of you who don't know a Dullahan is an Irish fairy that drives a death coath and carries it's severed head.
    (I recognize the other medieval update stuff in the video, but is that hat in the video your's too? Sorry if I should remember it, but I don't.)
  • erikrotable
    http://datafortress2020.oliwy.net/ab/image1.gif a nice hunting revovler. i'd like someone to turn this into a tf2 weapon for sniper :) also, http://www.tac-team.dk/Indochina/vapen/VMweapon/MosinSniper.jpg maybe someone would like to make this into a tf2 sniper wep? and another one :Dhttp://tacticalpaintballsniper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/tactical-paintball-gear-paintball-sniper-rifle.jpg any of those 2 would be awesome in the game IMO (i like the revolver most) but the RAP-4 needs to be a bit redone maybe, if you don't like the neither here you go ;)http://gallery.rptools.net/d/6595-1/Weapon-Scoped+revolver.png, also an alternative! http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_abaJ0xbRju4/SM5VwjlqCLI/AAAAAAAAAiI/-52dMhMN3l0/s320/Thompson+Center+-+Contender+-+scoped+single+shot+pistol.+-+.22+rimfire%3B+10%E2%80%9D+round+barrel.jpg would really like one of these to be ingame! :D
  • Flat Face
    Offline / Send Message
    That sword is absolutely fantastic, I have no crits, it's just perfectly executed
  • JZeeba
  • roninsmastermix
    6124286933_13dd21b65a_b.jpg
    Prelim texture. Made the goggles larger than the last time. Comments and critz are welcomez
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Eternity wrote: »
    to start getting my portfolio in better shape I am now trying to work on game assets. So I am trying to make stuff for Team Fortress 2 and hope they get submitted.

That being said I have never actually put anything in a game before or know the pipeline process of making Team Fortress Stuff.

But Here is a couple of Demoman items I made. The first based on his drinking habits and the last is a pump action grenade launcher based off the China Lake Model of Grenade Launchers.

I problem currently is I have just noticed that a lot of guns in TF2 have curved down stocks to fit the characters hands. It is something I just realized, so I have been figuring out how to access the models and put them into maya. Something I just figured out moments ago. But they are just in a default T pose, and though their are some rigged ones to work with. I don't know what the appropriate pose is for holding weapons or even if it matters.

It would also be helpful to know texture color schemes and whatnot when I get to that.

Alright, so to get it matched up with animations and stuff you could either make a silhouette, or you can decompile the demomans launcher model and match it up.

To make a silhouette, you need to download the source sdk, run it, open the model viewer, load the grenade launcher and turn the FOV down to 2 then take a screenshot from the side. Then you can bring that image into Maya, put it on a plane and match things up etc. This works best if you have a concept, or if you are making a concept before jumping right in.

The better way, and the way I prefer is decompiling the model and putting it next to your model then matching things up. Here's a quick tutorial I made for decompiling things.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8HMEAkBis8&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]
  • Sexy Robot
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    k3ezjr.png

WIP

Suggestions?
  • Mnemosynaut
    (I recognize the other medieval update stuff in the video, but is that hat in the video your's too? Sorry if I should remember it, but I don't.)

It's part of Gerbil's Halloween pack. I was just testing it at the time.
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face wrote: »
    Those heavy glasses, I don't want to be a douche but the heavy already has the hound dog shades and security specs, do you really think he needs a 3rd pair? the stash alone would be fine, especially when the 2nd misc slot pops up

Well, none of the glasses the Heavy has now are Aviator sunglasses. The Hound Dog is a headwear item which includes hair, and the security specs lack the mustache, so the only way to get the Hat, aviator specs, and stache is the way I have it, and all are pretty critical to the style.
  • Doughnut Bear
    hopefully made good on RedSheep's suggestions, not final unwrap or texture
    darkow.jpg
    28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds? i know a buddy who can make it happen in 14 days
  • pyanodon
    hellhound.jpg

"Double gun, double fun!"

My entry to close my halloween pack for the Halloween update, this flamethrower, with the hat and that sickle i posted before. Pyro's from hell. But i cant fix two things, the pilot light and if's there a way to duplicate the flamethrower muzzle. Also, thanks to people who helped me. :)
  • Dewzie
    This is the Dullahan. It's a ghost sword. Texture by Svdl.

My annoyance at yet another Demoman melee weapon being included would be totally eclipsed by the sheer awesomeness of this.
    Prelim texture. Made the goggles larger than the last time. Comments and critz are welcomez

Love it. Glad you kept the microphone, not only because it looks awesome but because it's funny imagining the Pyro shouting incomprehensible battle tactics to his wingmen through a gas mask.
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    Suggestions?

My only suggestion (and this applies to everyone really) is to stop making such goddam awesome stuff because I'm only going to be disappointed if they don't all get in. Can we persuade Valve to have multiple Halloween updates this year?

Maybe add a larger cylinder around the end to make that bit a little more interesting? It's fine as is really.
  • Contrebasse
    @pyanodon, Love the hat/mask, especially the fact that the skull seems to be chewing on the pyro's gas mask, it looks really cool.

But the flamethrower is just too confusing in first person view. If you had only included the FP view and no 3rd person screen, I would have had a really hard time guessing what kind of weapon the pyro was holding. Maybe it's just me though. Maybe without those huge spikes that kind of block the view of the muzzle it could be better. Just my opinion.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I need some help.

A friend of mine made a replacement for the Short Circuit (dues ex arm) and I'm trying to help him get it in game.

Long story short, I decompiled the c_dex_arm and was having issues in Max getting the axis alignment correct. It's got 2 bones : lower_arm and attachment.
    So I imported those bones into the decompiled engie file, aligned lower_arm with the engies lower_arm bone and deleted the original.
    That gave me an engie rig with a properly aligned attachment nbone.

The SC is weighted only to the attachment bone (guess that's what gets rid of glove) so I did the same.
    I copied the qc file that decompiled.

Compiled his model and it shows in game great for 3rd person. It's properly attached and aligned and his glove hand is gone.

BUT...
    In 1st person mode it is just not visible at all. I can't find any difference in the models in model viewer.

if I attach the weap to the wrench arm in model viewer it points down towards his hip.
    So it aligns in 3rd but not in 1st. What's wrong here?
  • Evil0live

The Sir Tavish Set for the Demoman. The textures have been updated a little since this picture. Also, the sword does some cool stuff but I don't feel like typing out another essay about ghosts!

demo2ha.png

Was this the beta Dullahan? What happened to this set? Ever get it done...? By the way, the sword looks absolutely amazing. Are you thinking of any extra or special sound effects?
  • Mnemosynaut
    Evil0live wrote: »
    Was this the beta Dullahan? What happened to this set? Ever get it done...? By the way, the sword looks absolutely amazing. Are you thinking of any extra or special sound effects?

Yeah, that whole set was pretty terrible. I plan on remodeling the shield after Halloween but I think the hat is a lost cause.

I don't think Valve accepts community-made sound effects, and even if they did, I wouldn't have any idea of how to make them.
  • roninsmastermix
    6126293466_640b808bc4_b.jpg
    Made the glass on the goggle envmapped. The metal parts a bit darker. Just fixing the stitches on the leather and i'll be calling it done.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    That sword needs to make ghostly horse sounds.

Also, Valve would be fools not to tie that in with the Horseless Headless Horseman.
  • erikrotable
    @Sexy Robot i don't like the stock, remake it a bit :D
  • DaveSilver
    @roninsmastermix As a regular Pyro, I can honestly say you have some incredible looking pieces there and that I would legitimately love to have those for my guy. Keep up the great work.
  • Veko
    I didn't know Obama played this game :p
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    In honor of this thread reaching 420 pages I made a thing that will never get in game (again):

The Burnout.

burnout.png
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'd break off the ghost sword (dullahan) a bit closer to the hilt. Right now the ghost part is hardly visible in first person view.
  • Zalakzik
    "Larva is not delicious :("
    Bloodlust delicacy
    While under the effect, grant you minicrits for 10 seconds for all weapon, BUT if you dont kill anyone in these 10 seconds you will DIE.
    Bloodlust-1.png
  • ComfyCushion
    Alright, here's the Mesoamerican Hero all textured up and in game:

itemtest0035.png

I'm having a weird problem with the vmts though. for some reason, the blu version still uses the red vmt. would it be a problem with my .qc?

$cd "C:\Users\Cody\Desktop\MesoAmerican Hero\Output"
    $modelname "player\items\soldier\soldier_aztec.mdl"
    $model "Body" "soldier_aztec.dmx.smd"
    $sequence idle "idle" loop fps 30.00
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\items\soldier\"
    $cdmaterials ""
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    { "models/player/items/soldier/soldier_aztec.vmt" }
    { "soldier_aztec_BLU.vmt" }
    }
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_head" -3.384 -8.031 -7.735 3.384 0.000 3.476
    // Model uses material "models/player/items/soldier/soldier_aztec.vmt"
    // Model uses material "soldier_aztec_BLU.vmt"
    $surfaceprop "cloth"
    $illumposition 1.028 0.000 79.229

$collisionmodel "phymodel.smd" {

$mass 7.0
    $inertia 1.00
    $damping 0.00
    $rotdamping 0.00
    }
  • Ruskeydoo
    Snader wrote: »
    I'd break off the ghost sword (dullahan) a bit closer to the hilt. Right now the ghost part is hardly visible in first person view.

I second this. Also very cool concept.
  • Contrebasse
    I've got a stupid problem with the ghost sword to be honest. The model looks very cool, but what are you hitting your opponents with ? Nothingness ? :B

In-game it just looks weird imo. If you break the sword closer to the hilt, it will look even weirder. At least now you could say the demo hits people with the not-ghost part of the sword (though it hints at some very reduced range, which is misleading).
  • APesquera
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    That is one beautiful sword, sir. I would be glad If it made it into the game even with all the swords we already have.

So here's the first design of the melee weapon for the energy engie set (that goes with the energy sentry/wrangler thing I made).

energizero.jpg

The problem lays in the red zone. At first I wanted to keep the design simple but that zone looks like it need something else. Any idea?

EDIT: I'll give more info about this weapon idea. Basically it's a melee weapon that gives buffs to sentries and buildings or something like that. So instead of a wrench, a "energizer" that gives buffs.
  • erikrotable
  • nordahl154
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    In honor of this thread reaching 420 pages I made a thing that will never get in game (again):

The Burnout.

burnout.png

Lmfao :poly136:
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    http://datafortress2020.oliwy.net/ab/image1.gif a nice hunting revovler. i'd like someone to turn this into a tf2 weapon for sniper also, http://www.tac-team.dk/Indochina/vap...osinSniper.jpg maybe someone would like to make this into a tf2 sniper wep? and another one http://tacticalpaintballsniper.com/w...iper-rifle.jpg any of those 2 would be awesome in the game IMO (i like the revolver most) but the RAP-4 needs to be a bit redone maybe, if you don't like the neither here you go ;)http://gallery.rptools.net/d/6595-1/...d+revolver.png, also an alternative! http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_abaJ0xbRju...und+barrel.jpg would really like one of these to be ingame! (reposted ;D)

Just no. Once maybe. twice? just silly. 22 posts asking for weapons? Dont really have a answer for that.

Best advice i can give you learn to model yourself, also learn to use the enter button.
    But above all that. Learn to link properly. The first link works, all the others dont. Does nobody check there shit these days?
  • Mnemosynaut
    Snader wrote: »
    If you look closely, you'll notice that the ghost part extends to the cracks in the side of the sword. This is very noticeable in the first person perspective.

One thing you have to consider when talking about the length of the blade is that the ghost part fades in and out depending on the lighting of the area. If I reduce the size of the blade, the overall visibility of the sword decreases on brighter maps where the ghost part is almost entirely transparent. I also want to keep it from looking like a lightsaber and I think the longer blade helps with that.

I've got a stupid problem with the ghost sword to be honest. The model looks very cool, but what are you hitting your opponents with ? Nothingness ? :B

In-game it just looks weird imo. If you break the sword closer to the hilt, it will look even weirder. At least now you could say the demo hits people with the not-ghost part of the sword (though it hints at some very reduced range, which is misleading).
    Have you seen Ghostbusters? It's like that.
  • erikrotable
  • Flat Face
    Offline / Send Message
    the sword is fine, you can see enough of it in first person but not so much that it's OH GOD.. and nothingness.. it's like.. some magic ghost force is doing the damage
  • erikrotable
  • erikrotable
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    6126293466_640b808bc4_b.jpg
    Made the glass on the goggle envmapped. The metal parts a bit darker. Just fixing the stitches on the leather and i'll be calling it done.

Ok Ronin, first off, I love your stuff in this set, high quality stuff. But I am going to say that I think the melee weapon doesn't entirely fit the color scheme of this set. Look at the metal on the cover of the jet engine, its that purple-ish color. I would recommend that you change some of the colors on your melee so that it would fit the set better, so you could recognize that the melee is definitely part of that set.
    Also on the melee, I think it would be cooler if you actually had some tires...But that's my thought.

Hat looks great, but the bright colored metal seems too...odd to me. Could you try maybe that purple-ish color? maybe give us some different colors that you would think match the set?
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    ComfyCushion, use this. It may only work in-game and not in mdlviwer.

$modelname "player\items\soldier\soldier_aztec.mdl"
    $model "Body" "soldier_aztec.dmx.smd"
    $cdmaterials "models\player\items\soldier\"

$texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    { "soldier_aztec"}
    { "soldier_aztec_BLU"}
    }

$hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_head" -3.384 -8.031 -7.735 3.384 0.000 3.476
    $surfaceprop "cloth"
    $illumposition 1.028 0.000 79.229