player takes no fall damage
    shot accurancy -50%
  • roninsmastermix
  • Grimbodan
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix - I like it :)

@Baddcog - We had also thought that alt-fire would open up the umbrella shielding you from bullets/fire for a few seconds while you escape

@BenHenry - Yep, but in itemtest there's no way to have some bots load the open version while the rest have the other one. or at least I don't know how XD
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Source please? Because acourding to the Medieval update group, the next major collab update is the "Power Struggle update" and not a halloween one.

The power struggle update was, if I recall correctly, the first fake update that was conceived (but it was not carried out). I'm not sure of the standing of the Power struggle update, but, now that the Medieval Update is complete, Mnemosynaut revealed the Halloween update:
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1112749-TF2-Emporium-XXXIX?p=31594729&viewfull=1#post31594729
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    e1d00161c1e2d58302b78676f0486da7.png

BAP
    RedSheep wrote: »
    The power struggle update was, if I recall correctly, the first fake update that was conceived (but it was not carried out). I'm not sure of the standing of the Power struggle update, but, now that the Medieval Update is complete, Mnemosynaut revealed the Halloween update:
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1112749-TF2-Emporium-XXXIX?p=31594729&viewfull=1#post31594729

Power struggle update is coming soon, after the Halloween one presumably.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »

Ahhh Ok. Looks interresting :)
  • roninsmastermix
    JZeeba wrote: »

@Baddcog - We had also thought that alt-fire would open up the umbrella shielding you from bullets/fire for a few seconds while you escape

@BenHenry - Yep, but in itemtest there's no way to have some bots load the open version while the rest have the other one. or at least I don't know how XD
    you're the first person to actually like the concept.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix little confused. is that a jet engine O.o
    @Sexy Robot love it, just seems a little bit too big though
  • Nzdjh
  • roninsmastermix
    @roninsmastermix little confused. is that a jet engine O.o
    yes
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, i was gonna do a jet engine flamethrower to go with my fighter helmet but i never got around to it. good luck
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well since my first post seems to have disappeared into the cyberspace (at least for now) I'm just going to write it again.

So just registered here. Wanted to ask some opinions on some of my item ideas. If you could also tell if someone has done same/similar item before (have read the whole thread, just can't remember everything.

Item ideas:

Scout:
    -Bowling Pin melee
    -Bowling glove + bowling shoes misc.

Spy:
    -"Ice Cold Killer" Popsicle/ice cream (knife slot)
    -"Pubstar" Dart (knife slot)

Sniper:
    Fishing set;
    Bow made out of a fishing rod (possibly fish arrows, can you replace arrows?)
    Can of Worms throwable (as in open a can of worms)
    Handheld net melee
    Fish/shark jawbone necklace
    Fish/shark head/skull hat

Still have to learn to model and texture... So it might take a while to get these done.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    JZeeba wrote: »

Oh yea, I know. I meant as a suggestion for Valve you might want to mention.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8

It's really just the perspective on that image that makes it look massive, it's not really that massive at all.

Just very wide.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    V6th,
    bowling scout sounds cool. Not sure about popsickle killer. Fishing equip for snipe sounds pretty cool. Someone has done some sort of shark jaw bone... thing, can't recall exactly.
  • RedSheep
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2011080900002.jpg
    thinking of changing the barrel to be like standard metal(as shown) instead of chrome, personally like it better but i wanna hear your guys opinions so please chime in if you have any thoughts
    bit more texture work. rim of exhaust on the engine aren't chromed so ima fix that and i am also am gonna turn down the spec on the bolts (both circled inn red)
    c&c welcome
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix - it's a bit confusing to look at first, but it has potential :) are you going to animate it so the blades are spinning?

@BenHenry - yep, we'll make sure to suggest those things when submitting

@V6th - hard to tell without reference pictures, but some of the Sniper items could work I guess
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    IMO, no chrome....
    It will look better in the end with a nice ol' painted diffuse.
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    We all know that the engineer needs more weapon contributions. I've seen many of you creating new shotguns recently, which is a good thing, but I'd rather see new sentry designs. Since it is quite a hard job to make a sentry (requiring animations, a style that fits tf2, etc) I've never expected anybody to care enough and make a acceptable contribution.

The problem lays in people thinking about making an entire new sentry. I say we shouldn't do that. We have already a sentry we can use and modify to create completely different gameplays. For example, minisentries have practically the same model as a lvl1 sentry.

Once under this preset everybody around will think: "Hey, let's make a melee weapon as a excuse to put the new sentry in the game so we don't make a mess with minisentries". I say NO again. Instead, let's make a secondary weapon that modify the gameplay of both, sentry and minisentry.

So what do I propose? This:

sentrylaser2paso.jpg

A Wrangler variation
    that replaces the rocket launcher of the level 3 sentry for an energy weapon as well as replacing the minisentry machine gun, changing both gameplays and making it easier to implement!

I don't really know if it would be hard to mess around with already existing animations to include a partially different model or not, but I guessed it would be easier than just making a new sentry and animations out of scrap. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a clever idea, but what you are doing with the sentries still will require a model replacement (seeing as your designs don't simply cover up the spot they occupy on the originals - which is fine).
    They will not require custom anims though, which valve likes.
    My question, though, is - does it not affect he lvl 2 sentry?
    Also, I believe that the lvl 1 sentry and mini sentry are sort of a package deal when it comes to changing the model. I may be wrong though.
  • Nzdjh
  • roninsmastermix
    APesquera wrote: »
    We all know that the engineer needs more weapon contributions. I've seen many of you creating new shotguns recently, which is a good thing, but I'd rather see new sentry designs. Since it is quite a hard job to make a sentry (requiring animations, a style that fits tf2, etc) I've never expected anybody to care enough and make a acceptable contribution.

The problem lays in people thinking about making an entire new sentry. I say we shouldn't do that. We have already a sentry we can use and modify to create completely different gameplays. For example, minisentries have practically the same model as a lvl1 sentry.

Once under this preset everybody around will think: "Hey, let's make a melee weapon as a excuse to put the new sentry in the game so we don't make a mess with minisentries". I say NO again. Instead, let's make a secondary weapon that modify the gameplay of both, sentry and minisentry.

sentrylaser2paso.jpg

A Wrangler variation
    that replaces the rocket launcher of the level 3 sentry for an energy weapon as well as replacing the minisentry machine gun, changing both gameplays and making it easier to implement!

I don't really know if it would be hard to mess around with already existing animations to include a partially different model or not, but I guessed it would be easier than just making a new sentry and animations out of scrap. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
    Best idea i've seen all day. Totally possible with current animations and shouldn't be any harder to implement than regular weapons.
  • Ninjentleman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sentrylaser2paso.jpg

Those are really well done concepts.
  • GunnyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A Wrangler variation

I love the design and how you implemented them into existing models, but having to use the a new Wrangler to get the new sentries seems a bit weird to me. What if someone wanted to use this new sentry with another pistol replacement, or just the normal pistol for that matter. I guess if this new Wrangler has stats that make it worth not having a pistol could change that, but there could be a new new pistol later down the line that could have been an interesting combination with the new sentries but unreachable.

I might be thinking way too far into this.
  • roninsmastermix
    enginesample2.jpg
    Stubborn engine flamethrower pyro is back and now aspiring to be a heavy weapons guy. Just a quick unwrap to see in game. Far from finished.
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    @roninsmastermix i never realized how strong the pyro was till i saw that .
    The Pyro is cyborg!
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the pyro suddenly gains an unquenchable lust for sandviches

edit:
    2011081000001.jpg
    2011081000002.jpg

current state of the texture. nothing is uncolored now
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    Doughnut Bear looking at the flames, have you tried without the black outline / stroke? it looks a bit strong. maybe a darker or lighter outline based on the flames colors would suit better. then you could maybe chip into the flames as well.
    just thoughts.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sounds like a good idea, ill give it a crack tomorrow as right now im too tired to think right
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fish.png

Some concept art of my fishing set for sniper. Drawn on paper,since I don't have a drawing board, yet at least (not the best drawer anyway).
    Not sure about the hats/miscs yet. Still have to learn to model and then model these so that will give me lots of time to think.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    V6th wrote: »
    fish.png

Some concept art of my fishing set for sniper. Drawn on paper,since I don't have a drawing board, yet at least (not the best drawer anyway).
    Not sure about the hats/miscs yet. Still have to learn to model and then model these so that will give me lots of time to think.
    That's just perfect, well done! What have you planned for the arrows? Small harpoons?

Well, for hat you could make something similar to this.
    239788-hl2_lostcoast_fisherman_super.jpg
  • V6th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Captain
    Possibly harpoon type arrows or fish bone arrows (still have to look how good they would fit).
    For the hat I'm still thinking, that might be a good one though.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    better color for the outline of the flames?
    16860554.jpg
    gonna also lighten up the handle guard as it blends too much with the rest of the gun
  • [Square]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two concepts...

A Heavy mutton chops/balding combo.
    and a hippy beard, hair and specs for the Sniper.
    Tf2-Hair-1.jpg
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    another paintover :)
    think it looks better without dude. and polish up those flames as shown.
    paintova.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks really good, thanks man. ill do that once i get back from work :D
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KajiVena wrote: »
    Hmm, I do believe that could very well be a Nail or Rivet gun. To be honest, I feel the original color scheme fit the weapon better. The model looks amazing, by the way.

Are you, perhaps, looking for any more Engineer weapon/adornment ideas? I've had an idea for an auto-mechanic Engineer that I was trying to model but I ran into difficulty when I realized I had no idea how to model the misc. item I had planned on (a replacement for the Engy's overalls).

But if you're not looking for ideas (I love your models, by the way!), I understand and I'll just have to keep up my Blender practice. If so, if you could give me some tips on modelling the misc, it would be greatly appreciated :)

I picked the yellowish tones because they felt musch more tool-like or construction equipment-ish to me. I do have some ideas where to take the pack from here, but thanks for the support.

This is a little late for a reply, but as for your misc item, make sure it follows the underlying engineer model as closely as possible. Vertices and edges around the same points or you'll run into a lot of problems when rigging it.

If it's a replacement for the overalls, though, I'm not sure how Valve would deal with it, since that sounds to me like it's a character model edit rather than an extra model worn on top of the character model, like the soldier and spy miscs I've done.
  • ShakerSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T'was inevitable:
    helmprogress.png

EDIT: Aw crap, I just finished the texture, and then I find out someone already made that helmet, and it's much better :poly127:. Well, for what it's worth, here's a pic of the texture. :poly141:
    helmprogress2.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    enginesample4.jpg
    Also working on a more compact version.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I really like that Doughnut!
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ShakerSilver
    Is that what I think it is? If so, it's already been done I'm afraid. I found this on the 36th TF2 emporium.promo_ripoff.png
  • bigbird42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you're not really supposed to do this, but for the love of god, someone please model this:
    sam_rock_narrowweb__200x304.jpg

Preferably for soldier.
  • roninsmastermix
    enginesample5.jpg
    Shot with the smaller more compact version below. Your thoughts?
  • Korby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd think the smaller one has a higher chance of getting in.
  • GunnyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone help me with actually getting a weapon model in-game? I've looked for tutorials but they seem to be mostly for hats, I tried importing the weapon I wanted to replace into Blender and placed my model overtop the old one and saved it with just my model. Then I tried to compile it but I kept getting an error and couldn't move past that. I'm not sure if I was using the right file to import into Blender or something to do with bones or anything, I'm just overall confused at this point.

I feel like I need to see my weapon in-game at this point to see what else I need to do with my model before I start texturing.

Any help would be very appreciated.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    GunnyBoy wrote: »
    Can anyone help me with actually getting a weapon model in-game? I've looked for tutorials but they seem to be mostly for hats, I tried importing the weapon I wanted to replace into Blender and placed my model overtop the old one and saved it with just my model. Then I tried to compile it but I kept getting an error and couldn't move past that. I'm not sure if I was using the right file to import into Blender or something to do with bones or anything, I'm just overall confused at this point.

I feel like I need to see my weapon in-game at this point to see what else I need to do with my model before I start texturing.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Start here! http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/game-dev/3d_cg_game_dev_source_sdk_valve_halflife_team_fortress_mod_modding/
  • GunnyBoy
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix - looks good, although when seen from the front it might need something extra to be able to tell what it is.