Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• TauVertex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commandoengiesample10.jpg
    Shot with the pip-boy. Updating my robo-arm next week or so.

I've been wondering. What do you use for your screenshots? Are they straight from the game, or do you use something like GMod?

Looks really good, by the way.
  • Lime_Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some shots of the new minigun I'm working on. rough concept with some basic textures, any crits and comments would be appreciated.

Minigun1.png

Minigun.png
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that sketchup?
  • Korby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say, I love the basic shape of the minigun, though the textures aren't really in style. My apologies if they're just placeholders.
  • Lime_Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pogo yeah self-taught at 1 the age of 11, been using it ever since
    @Korby just placeholders, they came default with SketchUp so they were the best I had at the moment.
  • TauVertex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lime_Blue Interesting, I've never seen a weapon made in Sketchup before. The brick on the side seems a bit boring to me, but other than that I like the design. Keep going with it.

I've been working on a WWII-era German fire helmet for the Medic similar to this one.

I'd like some opinions on the strap. It became clear pretty quickly that having him actually wearing it wouldn't work, but it seems a shame to leave it out completely. While it serves no purpose there, I'm thinking of having it rest on top like in the reference image. Any thoughts as to which way looks best?
    IVPxG.jpg

That lion head is getting a redo, by the way. Sculpting on a netbook with a mouse didn't give me very good results.
  • Lime_Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TauVertex wrote: »
    Interesting, I've never seen a weapon made in Sketchup before. The brick on the side seems a bit boring to me, but other than that I like the design. Keep going with it.

Thanks, I'm more familiar with it. that is supposed to be a greenish ammo box that feeds into the smaller drum. Now what I really need is something for the back handle to be supported on because it looks pretty empty back there.
  • CidTheNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TauVertex
    I'd say go with the front strap like in the reference pic. Or maybe try putting the strap under his chin, which I assume that's what it's for, or maybe just have both ends of the straps hanging down. I wonder how well a German fireman's helmet would look on Pyro...
  • Nzdjh
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Beastly wrench indeed. Has anyone made something other than a wrench for the Engie's melee? I know Zip made a spanner, there must be other tools...
  • Lime_Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    Beastly wrench indeed. Has anyone made something other than a wrench for the Engie's melee? I know Zip made a spanner, there must be other tools...

Posted this awhile ago, I guess it fell under the radar. as always crits and comments.

FreshmanFinisher.png
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pneumatic Hammer:
    impacthammer.png
  • MrCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lime_Blue wrote: »
    Posted this awhile ago, I guess it fell under the radar. as always crits and comments.

FreshmanFinisher.png

Feels like it's a bit too colourful, more greys and metal scratching I'd say. Also, what is it? Knowing what it is might help...
  • randomteddybear
    Working on the texture for these right now.
    datuber.jpg
  • TauVertex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TauVertex
    I'd say go with the front strap like in the reference pic. Or maybe try putting the strap under his chin, which I assume that's what it's for, or maybe just have both ends of the straps hanging down. I wonder how well a German fireman's helmet would look on Pyro...

Yeah, it's meant to go under the chin, which I tried, but facial animation causes a lot of clipping. Having the two hanging could work. I'll give it a try when I have the chance.

I'm making it as part of a Medic set, but I think it could work on the Pyro too. I fear it might be too similar to the Merryweather, though.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing good so far, but I still have alot more to texture. Might have everything finished later in the middle of the night.

texturing.png
  • Xenu's Paradox
    Hooch wrote: »
    I want to model sth. But I have no idea what.
    Where I can find some concept art?

Can't draw for jack, but I can give you descriptions and refs for some packs I've thought up if you want.
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Here is my hat for my redneck/mechanic engi set.

mechy_hair01.jpg

531 triangles with 2 team coloured 256x256 textures.

Right now its painted with brown paint but you get the idea of what it will look like painted other colours.
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The AO on the front part (the back of the hat itself) seems too harsh. I'd also probably try to add a bit more tris on the front hair, it seems too flat at the mo. The color scheme works well though. :)
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    SgtR007 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrZs4jdEATY&hd=1

Painter%27sPackDemoSlide.jpg

OK I'm calling this pack done and plan to submit as is unless someone has any further kritz. Names all good? Textures up to snuff? Any model details need addressed? Nitpicking is the name of the game.

Oh, and just for fun:
    pallettewhite.jpg

Looks like a pretty awesome, but I think it would be even better with a secondary weapon in the pack if possible. Maybe some sort of paintball shotgun?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Random, Like them a lot, but be sure to make the lens flipped up a tyle, so you'll have to model around that.

@Cooljay, looking pretty good, but the tex is too splotchy. Have larger, more pronounced/simple splotches.

@trey, I like it, but I think the hair is too much. Too long mainly. But just a little too over the top I think, tone it down and it'll be win.
    Finished this up 5 minutes before the deadline. 6-7 hours? Is that a good time, seems excessive. Didn't quite get all I wanted done but will add more for a mappers resource.
    Wanted film cans and film rolls.

film.jpg
    875 tris for the projector with an LOD of 426, the screen is about 250.
    256 tex on the projector, 512 for the screen, and a 512 for front of screen so it can be skinned. Wanted to do smaller tex but was just trying to get it compiled and uploaded in time. It's a bit sloppy I know. (I also now realize one of the handles on the back didn't make it in).
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try the best I can. Still Quite tricky

EDIT: Now I understand what you meant. 100% Flow and low Opacity
  • KajiVena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Here is my hat for my redneck/mechanic engi set.

mechy_hair01.jpg

531 triangles with 2 team coloured 256x256 textures.

Right now its painted with brown paint but you get the idea of what it will look like painted other colours.
    I was going to say I didn't like it at first, but it sorta grew on me...

But the hair seems too long in the front. Also, have you considered making the hat team colored? I don't mean Cream Spirit but straight red and blue respectively.

Also, what other items do you have planned for your set?
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    ee03394bfe3928a55536b5507857312c.png

Roughly 1200 tris, or around 600 polys.
  • roninsmastermix
    TauVertex wrote: »
    I've been wondering. What do you use for your screenshots? Are they straight from the game, or do you use something like GMod?

Looks really good, by the way.
    I use HLMV with white ambient light and mid day lighting position.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    @Cooljay, you should definitely play with the proportions more to fit the TF2 style. Essentially just squish the gun, maybe make the clip bigger, shorten and enlarge/inflate the barrel and so on. Keep going
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    @Cooljay, you should definitely play with the proportions more to fit the TF2 style. Essentially just squish the gun, maybe make the clip bigger, shorten and enlarge/inflate the barrel and so on. Keep going

I've done the squish part as you can see. However I can do the other stuff though.
  • Flat Face
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face polycounter lvl 10
    Cooljay wrote: »
    Been doing good so far, but I still have alot more to texture. Might have everything finished later in the middle of the night.

texturing.png

Don't texture it yet mang, just use base colours and finish the model totally before doing any texturing, it's better that way believe me.

Show us some wireframes and different shots?
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat Face wrote: »
    Don't texture it yet mang, just use base colours and finish the model totally before doing any texturing, it's better that way believe me.

Show us some wireframes and different shots?

wireframe.png

topview.png

colorc.png

Alright I'll do that

EDIT:

Got the base colors in. Did some more texturing. Still some aliasing going on ,but that will be fixed once I knock in the colors. Will be more splotch fixing.
    basecolor.png
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot finally figured out how to get the chrome working right, still editing on its end to do, just a test really right now.
    2011080700001.jpg
    also if anyone can tell me why this is happening it would be appreciated. have it set up like the default flamethrower in the qc as well as the vertex groups :/
    2011080700002.jpg
  • MrCake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the base colors in. Did some more texturing. Still some aliasing going on ,but that will be fixed once I knock in the colors. Will be more splotch fixing.

The best way to learn texturing is observation and practice. Team Fortress 2 has a very distinctive minimal brush stroke style. You'll notice if you look at this:
    http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2618/revolverconept.png
    And then your own model, there's something inherently different. Here are two more examples. Taken from Swizzle's amazing post!

You're trying, which is great. I wish I had the time to put in to do what you're doing. But you haven't quite hit the nail on the head yet.

But yeah, as other people have said. That model doesn't look quite finished but if you're interested more in getting a project out of the way rather than polishing it up, aka the process rather than the product, I think it's fine to leave it as is an just keep working. ^_^
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My only thoughts about it would be either you attached the wrong hand bone to the flamethrower and it's pull vertices that dont move with it or one of the bones in you .smd doesn't have a dash. Example Weapon.Bone.1 instead of Weapon_Bone_1. I'm certain other people can give you some ideas too.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrCake wrote: »
    The best way to learn texturing is observation and practice. Team Fortress 2 has a very distinctive minimal brush stroke style. You'll notice if you look at this:
    http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2618/revolverconept.png
    And then your own model, there's something inherently different. Here are two more examples. Taken from Swizzle's amazing post!

You're trying, which is great. I wish I had the time to put in to do what you're doing. But you haven't quite hit the nail on the head yet.

But yeah, as other people have said. That model doesn't look quite finished but if you're interested more in getting a project out of the way rather than polishing it up, aka the process rather than the product, I think it's fine to leave it as is an just keep working. ^_^

Sounds right, I'm certain there is no harm in just tying everything up now
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    this might help ..2min paintover
    paintover.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant wrote: »
    do it.
    paintover.jpg

Whoa, thanks for taking the time to do that . I appreciate it
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I think my Redneck pack is done.

redneck_engi_pack.jpg

I made the hair a bit smaller and gave it more edge loops to smooth it out.

Hope you guys like it!
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minimalism.png

Definately this style is something that takes alot to get used too
  • ant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant
    looks cool., if i may suggest, A misc item, create some hick/buck teeth to go over the engies teeth, at least the top teeth cause they are connected to the head i think.
    haw haw.
  • KajiVena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minimalism.png

Definately this style is something that takes alot to get used too
    Yeah, it is, but it looks like you got it down on the top grip!
  • treythepunkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant wrote: »
    looks cool., if i may suggest, A misc item, create some hick/buck teeth to go over the engies teeth, at least the top teeth cause they are connected to the head i think.
    haw haw.

Hah that's not a bad idea. I would be afraid of the clipping though.

My original idea for the misc item was a set of girly mags that would sit in his pouch. I felt like it could be done tastefully, but in the end I just thought my pack had just enough stuff already.
  • randomteddybear
    safetyt.jpg
    I'll finish these tomorrow, the white areas will be paintable. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't styles done with multiple models?
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress in the right direction now.
    progressd.png
  • hughchilles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    treythepunkid - I dig the pack but I think the hat etc lets it down, maybe make it taller like a trucker hat and the hair more like the current engie hair hat (the name escapes me) texture-wise at least I mean. Good luck, love that shotgun

Cooljay - I think everyone's commenting because they really want this in, glad you're finishing it, you did what I consider the hard part with scripts. I would check out swizzles tutorial on painting textures, you have the right idea but your brush is letting you down. Love the new proportions, if you decide to animate it I would make it really rattley and cartooney.

Sharc wrote: »
    Looks like a pretty awesome, but I think it would be even better with a secondary weapon in the pack if possible. Maybe some sort of paintball shotgun?
    THIS! Also love the paint pack, hope valve alt-fires paint out of it somehow.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    treythepunkid - I dig the pack but I think the hat etc lets it down, maybe make it taller like a trucker hat and the hair more like the current engie hair hat (the name escapes me) texture-wise at least I mean. Good luck, love that shotgun

Cooljay - I think everyone's commenting because they really want this in, glad you're finishing it, you did what I consider the hard part with scripts. I would check out swizzles tutorial on painting textures, you have the right idea but your brush is letting you down. Love the new proportions, if you decide to animate it I would make it really rattley and cartooney.

THIS! Also love the paint pack, hope valve alt-fires paint out of it somehow.

I would want it in too lol, It opens a whole new can to explore for TF2 artists. I'll double check what the proper setting might be for brushes though.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    What the hell is it :S

Anyway, shotgun designed by Apesquera, modelled by moi. Getting there.

2aj3uih.jpg
  • Lime_Blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mrCake yeah I might tone it down a bit. It's a metal pole with different colored electrical tape held in place by two end caps. We have one on my Robotics team and we call it "the freshman beater".

@Habboi see above
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2011080700001.jpg
    2011080700002.jpg

quick ao bake down on the rest of the body. will hopefully get a final bake and uvs for both the chrome and the body as well as possibly base colors down tonight. i really appreciate any crits or comments so if you got any please threw em my way!
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @trey, Looks much better. But I think you need to reduce the shine on his hair. Too gloss/plasticy.

@Cooljay, the tex is definitely going in the right direction. Still, the barrel confuses me. it's very long skinny, and I don't understand the multple attachments on it. I really think just a cleaner, thicker barrel would look best.

@Sexy, looking good. But I'm not feeling the flag colors.

@Random,

I think you should just have the lenses flipped up. We already have the ze goggles which are up on his head, and if you want that to be misc and work with hats then on head wouldn't work anyway.
    safetyt.jpg
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @Sexy, looking good. But I'm not feeling the flag colors.

It's really the only option tbh with the American flag, Robin walker himself has stated multiple times that he hates the original American flag colour scheme in a TF2 perspective.

It has to be team coloured somehow.