Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid the koala. Going to finish the model tomorrow and then start texturing it

koalalj.jpg
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    put the koala on his back, hanging like a backpack, so the spy can't stab because it is tooo cute :3
    1779816PbJVaoSqzx_ph.jpg
    -can't be backstabbed by a spy.
    -slow down the sniper by 20% coz he doesn't want to wake up the koala/it's heavy
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    put the koala on his back, hanging like a backpack, so the spy can't stab because it is tooo cute :3
    1779816PbJVaoSqzx_ph.jpg
    -can't be backstabbed by a spy.
    -slow down the sniper by 20% coz he doesn't want to wake up the koala/it's heavy

there's too many anti-spy weapons out there, as is.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's actually almost identical to the razorback's original stats before the speed nerf got nerfed

@Pear: you need to point it to the orange box sdk, which is "steam\steamapps\<steam ID>\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin"
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    u guys are just mean :(
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Holy sh*t that's cool. Now I wanna see Engineers Cap on Pyro so he looks like a train man :D
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    That train gun is awsome! My only crit is that its hard to read as a train from the first person view.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    You're right that the handles look like they could slide around. I'll add some little metal restraints onto those bars. I don't want to make the silhouette too complex though. Look at the Black Box. Its silhouette is basically a chamfered box other than the two caps hanging off. Most if its detail comes from the texture. If you have some interesting suggestions though I'll try them out.

Honestly, if I were to do a nautical themed soldier, I would have done an old-timey ship cannon like these:
    http://www.rockislandauction.com/photos/48/p_standard/SIA3-Z-O1-O.jpg
    http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/3dclipartsde/3dclipartsde0908/3dclipartsde090800302/5414579-ship-cannon-3d-rendering-with-shadow-over-white.jpg

I made some edits to your silhouette.
    The trigger was made shorter because I thought it might look better that way, and the whole front was pushed back in order to prevent potential reload clipping.

launchermockup.jpg

I did't do anything on the restraint system because you seem to have an idea for it. I would like to ask, though, what is the main body supposedly held in place with?
    Are those steel cables?
    Also, how are they attached to the handles?

edit:
    @Cbast
    Is that another Touhou reference? I really think that your items would have a high probability of getting in game if they weren't references because you are really good at modeling and texturing.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    RedSheep wrote: »
    @Cbast
    Is that another Touhou reference? I really think that your items would have a high probability of getting in game if they weren't references because you are really good at modeling and texturing.

Nope. It's a little reference to a monster called the rail tracer. This monster is supposed to find a train and make disappear all passenger. (I'm not clear I guess, it's hard to explain it, sorry).
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    @RedSheep, I googled it and it seems to be a reference to Baccano. Its apparently some villain.

Personally, I would change the name Cbast. Its not a popular enough reference for people to get it. May I suggest changing it to the Rail Blazer?
  • roninsmastermix
    engiebackpacksample4.jpg

Hopefully this is textured completely by now and starting work now on the rest of the commando set. Textures were done by me and 8-bit lincoln.
  • Recurracy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3FDA2A1403F92FBB8062CF71E06994AFCDAC4E80

Obviously I need to find a way to have it look in Medic's direction. :poly127:
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Well the only way I can think of is rigging it to the bone that the head uses although mighty stretching will occur I bet. Why the big deal with where it faces, it's not alive I hope :O
  • Recurracy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WHY would it not be alive if it's a dove? Medic loves doves why would he kill them.
    I mean, look at Archimedes. He takes good care of it obviously
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly, if I were to do a nautical themed soldier, I would have done an old-timey ship cannon like these:
    http://www.rockislandauction.com/photos/48/p_standard/SIA3-Z-O1-O.jpg
    http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/3dclipartsde/3dclipartsde0908/3dclipartsde090800302/5414579-ship-cannon-3d-rendering-with-shadow-over-white.jpg

I made some edits to your silhouette.
    The trigger was made shorter because I thought it might look better that way, and the whole front was pushed back in order to prevent potential reload clipping.

I did't do anything on the restraint system because you seem to have an idea for it. I would like to ask, though, what is the main body supposedly held in place with?
    Are those steel cables?
    Also, how are they attached to the handles?

Thanks for the suggestions. The knob on the back makes it look a bit too much like it's an old time nautical cannon like you said. That would be cool if that was my theme but it's not. The handle idea looks interesting though. This is supposed to look like the Soldier just took some parts from an old barge or ship and turned them into a rocket launcher. Here's my main reference picture that I based most of this off of and am going to base the texturing off of also.

ship.jpg

I'll finish up a few more silhouettes and then post them here. I think I already know what I want to do with it though.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Recurracy: I was going along the lines of stuffed toy since the engineer has a teddy bear. But if your aim is actual "alive" Archimedes then I think it'd be better if you gave it an animated idle where it moves head left and right, like a dove would.
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres something im working on for the heavy. The Killishnikov, its basically a giant upsided AK47.

Its in block in stage right now, any crits/comments are welcome.

Not sure about the handle/clip, I had a drum magazine and even like 5 banna clips stuck together and funneling into the reciever for a comedy effect, but I don't know which one I should go with.
    KILL47.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Habboi/Recurrancy, I think that doing an idle animation would be the best way to handle it moving.

@esquire, looks like an interesting idea. It needs to look more like a minigun I'd say though. Do you have a picture of the drum magazine or the 5 clips stuck together? I think something like that would be the best way to make it resemble a minigun more.

Here are some silhouettes I messed around with for the sea launcher. Right now 5 and 6 are my favorites. I'm leaning more towards 5 right now since that sight-like thing doesn't work too well, especially in world view where it's way above the soldier's eyeline.

sealauncher_silhouettes_01.jpg
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres some variants of the clip/handle.

I like the drum magazine but I feel like it loses the AK47 feel without the banana clip. If no one else thinks so I'd probably go with that one, and/or the clips and hopper

kill47V.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that the triple banana clip is better than the drums and the single. The handle looks more unique and it keeps the AK47 feel to it.
  • roninsmastermix
    @Habboi/Recurrancy, I think that doing an idle animation would be the best way to handle it moving.

@esquire, looks like an interesting idea. It needs to look more like a minigun I'd say though. Do you have a picture of the drum magazine or the 5 clips stuck together? I think something like that would be the best way to make it resemble a minigun more.

Here are some silhouettes I messed around with for the sea launcher. Right now 5 and 6 are my favorites. I'm leaning more towards 5 right now since that sight-like thing doesn't work too well, especially in world view where it's way above the soldier's eyeline.

sealauncher_silhouettes_01.jpg

What about having the lid on top instead of the bottom?
  • hughchilles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    esquire
    I quite like your original, the drums don't suit it, can't it just be high damage low ammo like a real AK? it's just going to end up being another tommy gun with multiple magazines and high damage creates more interesting gameplay with Kritzkriegs against higher ammoed heavy med combos.

Zipfinator
    Is this to go with the anchor? Seems a bit too black boxy for the theme though nautical textures could work I suppose. I guess it's just the flaps that make me think this but if you're going for a more grey navy style it could be cool. I think you're number choices are good anyway.

roninsmastermix
    I really like the arm, I think it would create a new playing style which is why the gunslinger was so welcome. I assume/hope you can't equip both yeah? I think just be really careful with the stats but you sound like you have some good plans, would be good for medic charges but if movement speeds/buildings the only con you could end up with camping human sentries on health packs.

eedobaba7726
    Really love this pack. I feel the timber and steel needs work, the flare gun paint style suits really well though. I'd really like to see a really mexican pack with taunt music, I'd say a trumpet and marakas but now someones done it.

Svdl
    I don't know which class I like more, I think the engie needs it more, the spy guns have just about exhausted their stats unless it's movement speed?

If you're looking to do a set here's some useless info for you: The most common combos I use are dead ringer with knife so you can disguise and get multiple chances to get people, or cloak and eternal reward so you can hide but permanently become them, I rarely use whole sets unless the bonus is worth it like the medieval medic.

Hope some of this has been helpful to someone, I haven't made anything myself but play a lot and see a lot of items turn ugly through stats. <3
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are they actually using stat suggestions granted they arent too insane? Because I would really really do a high damage low ammo, that could be awesome...

I like the original or the hopper feel.

Right now I just really need a way to find the hand positioning so I can tweak it to fit, I have the basic idea now but I dont want to go further if its just not going tofit in his hands..

Any ideas?
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    There actually was a Kill Taunt in mind for the Mexican Pyro pack, but since it requires custom animations it would be a little bit tricky to put in.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    If I were to submit the Mexican Pyro pack, would I submit it all as a group, or individually? I'd rather do them as a group, but if that's not normal, then I guess I won't.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    hum i have another question. why is the hat on his face
    asdfgh.jpg
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    What about having the lid on top instead of the bottom?

I'd go with this!
    could animate pretty nice when walking

I'd also use a more heavy band to hold the grip in place, the thin strip of metal look very weak. The grips are also pretty thin and fragile looking.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Recurracy wrote: »
    3FDA2A1403F92FBB8062CF71E06994AFCDAC4E80

Obviously I need to find a way to have it look in Medic's direction. :poly127:

I had the idea of making Archimedes perch on Medic's shoulders as a misc item a while ago, but no way of really being original as far as the model goes, because the dove is pretty much done and made by Valve.
  • re.wind
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on this:

newwings.png

Whatcha guys think? It's obviously for the Scout, haha.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or just blank like the blue version?

soldierdrum_wip_05.jpg
    soldier_drums_render_19.jpg
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    If I were to submit the Mexican Pyro pack, would I submit it all as a group, or individually? I'd rather do them as a group, but if that's not normal, then I guess I won't.

I think it's usually submitted individually but mentioned in the description of the weapon that it's part of a pack.
  • roninsmastermix
    4th item in my commando pack
    commandobackpack_snipersample1.jpg
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix - very nice, the backpack fits the sniper more than the engi IMO, and the koala is a nice touch. How many tris you have there?
  • roninsmastermix
    @jzeeba: The backpack design was really intended for the sniper and i started and incorporated it to the engiepack so that it has a common theme between the classes. (desaturated Zephaniah's greed and grey strap) The rest of the other classes will have this similar themes to make them like it belonged to one pack.

Right now the backpack is built with 4213 triangles. I think i can cram in a few more loops here and there to make the model smoother but i'm pretty happy with the design already and trying not to put more stuff to clutter the appearance.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rocket1z.jpg

so got it ingame (untextured obviously) and i have absolutely no clue how to hide the pyro's oxygen tank so if anyone knows please please please tell me
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still puzzling with design ideas for the Incendiary Lemon Launcher. The troubling fact with the concept is that the only interesting thing is what it shoots, so how do I make the gun itself just as interesting?
    I'm considering a sort of crossbow design with a tube of lemon grenades that fall into a firing mechanism. I also might go with a traditional grenade launcher shape, and just have it brightly covered with aperture science branding.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so got it ingame (untextured obviously) and i have absolutely no clue how to hide the pyro's oxygen tank so if anyone knows please please please tell me

There is no way to get the oxygen tank to disappear unless you recompile the model with the oxygen tank as a new bodygroup. Then you'd have to submit that new compiled Pyro model to Valve along with the item or tell them to add in the new bodygroup.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no way to get the oxygen tank to disappear unless you recompile the model with the oxygen tank as a new bodygroup. Then you'd have to submit that new compiled Pyro model to Valve along with the item or tell them to add in the new bodygroup.

ok thanks guess ill beg em in the comments section to add a new body group :P
  • roninsmastermix
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still puzzling with design ideas for the Incendiary Lemon Launcher. The troubling fact with the concept is that the only interesting thing is what it shoots, so how do I make the gun itself just as interesting?
    I'm considering a sort of crossbow design with a tube of lemon grenades that fall into a firing mechanism. I also might go with a traditional grenade launcher shape, and just have it brightly covered with aperture science branding.

I made these off of the combustible lemon launcher idea:
    combustible_lemon_launcher_by_theloneredsheep-d3hz3tv.png

the 1980s ASHCLL:

80s_combustible_lemon_launcher_by_theloneredsheep-d3i8sdd.png

but I made them to replace the flare gun
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the launcher. I'm pretty happy with it now.

sealauncher_wip_05.jpg

itemtest0000.jpg
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RedSheep
    The first one is a little too identical to the portal gun but I LOVE the second one. I just got a big pile of non-tf2 modeling work, but if I ever get the chance (and you don't mind), I might give modeling it a try. It's really an excellent design. The only nitpick I have is that TF2 is really 50's era tech, so perhaps using a 50's aperture design and branding would fit in better.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RedSheep
    The first one is a little too identical to the portal gun but I LOVE the second one. I just got a big pile of non-tf2 modeling work, but if I ever get the chance (and you don't mind), I might give modeling it a try. It's really an excellent design. The only nitpick I have is that TF2 is really 50's era tech, so perhaps using a 50's aperture design and branding would fit in better.

Thanks, and if you want to model it, go for it.
    I understand your nitpick, but the goal of the design was to be more accurate to the Portal universe (Cave Johnson thought of the idea in the early 80's, hence the 70's logo).

edit:
    @zipfinator
    It looks nice, but I still would recommend increasing the thickness of the bars connecting the parts together (along with increasing the overall size of the pieces that keep the bar in place) and the handles.
    not a large increase in thickness, but enough to be noticeable
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello, i have a question concerning UVs

should i mirror UVs whenver possible, for TF2?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    mahmoud wrote: »
    hello, i have a question concerning UVs

should i mirror UVs whenver possible, for TF2?

thats really a per item per part thing, im sure for some things it could help you save texture space but if it is over a large area it is nice to have unique UV space for unique texture detail.

also the tf2 style relies a lot of AO so make sure if you do mirrors things that both parts would get roughly the same AO if it wast mirrored.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2011070700001.jpg
    2011070700002h.jpg
    2011070700003.jpg

still working on the texture, had to scale things up so it covers up most of the oxygen tank so its see-able, final product smaller.
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is the first try to texture it. Any suggestions ?

koalla.jpg

P.S. Im going to edit the legs (in texture), so don't point that out