Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    you would still need some brushes. since bsp brushes are the only thing that will seal a level or block vis, models don't occlude geometry they hide in source like in other engines, but what you could do is block your level out in bsp with nodraw on it than cover it all in meshes.

but if your wanting to make a environment all in meshes your better off with unity or UDK.

If you imported the model and put a hollow sky box brush around it that would work. speculation on my part. I have seem some G-mod maps with geometry made entirely using sketch up.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Bopoe wrote: »
    If you imported the model and put a hollow sky box brush around it that would work. speculation on my part. I have seem some G-mod maps with geometry made entirely using sketch up.

That would work but it would run like shit unless he went through and put nodraw brushes inside all of the larger forms. I'm pretty sure that sketchup plugin turns whatever you import into brushes.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    That would work but it would run like shit unless he went through and put nodraw brushes inside all of the larger forms. I'm pretty sure that sketchup plugin turns whatever you import into brushes.

there is also a old 3ds plugin that exports to bsp brush too, but i always found it easier to just do the brushes in hammer, since your only really doing the general layout in brushes, and all detail will be props or be brush marked as func_detail to speed up compile and make more predictable visleafs.

but like i said eariler the engine is meant to work primarly with BSP, and valve seems to be able to deal with it fine, and if people want to make a envirmeant with all meshes there better off looking towards a unreal3 based engine.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gotta say great stuff coming from everybody, keep up the good work! :)
  • Ducksink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducksink polycounter lvl 6
    Still WIP because I need to work on the texture and work on a normal map but
    97jkfs.png
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    25tdw07.jpg

First day attempt. Finally got around to doing this. Will fix up the ao. Texturing it will be the main challenge for me but hey, that's part of the fun.

Looking good Ducksink. Maybe work on the main brown texture by adding some TF2 styled brush strokes. I'm sure you already knew that.

Finally, I have a question: Is it possible to seperate the eggs so that when the sniper is killed, they roll out with their own physics?
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am working on making a Combustible Lemon Launcher as a replacement for the Flare Gun. I finished the concept earlier today, but I don't have any idea when I may start modeling it. I'm pretty lazy.

combustible_lemon_launcher_by_theloneredsheep-d3hz3tv.png
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    I am working on making a Combustible Lemon Launcher as a replacement for the Flare Gun. I finished the concept earlier today, but I don't have any idea when I may start modeling it. I'm pretty lazy.

Looking awesome! Maybe even make it look like it belongs more in mid-20th-century Aperture like around Cave Johnson's era, like have it unpainted or just some paint strokes slapped on metal? Might look good on it!
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep, might also help to use one of the older Aperture logos, since that was 1980's Cave Johnson that said that. I can't find if there was a separate 1980's logo, and I'm afraid of the rabbit hole that would open up if I launched Portal 2 again to try and find one, but the '70's logo might be appropriate: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110424165525/half-life/en/images/e/e2/Aperture_70s.svg

Or, even if it's less chronologically accurate, I'm a big fan of the '40's/'50's Aperture Logo: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110528234310/half-life/en/images/2/21/Science_innovators_vert_metalblue.svg

Edit: In fact, 1950's Aperture might fit better with the aesthetic of TF2. Just saying...
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Haha, that concept is awesome. I really want to see it as a model :')

Anyway, here's some news :

10599e80aaccc956b0471cfc56f62.jpg
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tonysladky wrote: »
    RedSheep, might also help to use one of the older Aperture logos, since that was 1980's Cave Johnson that said that. I can't find if there was a separate 1980's logo, and I'm afraid of the rabbit hole that would open up if I launched Portal 2 again to try and find one, but the '70's logo might be appropriate: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110424165525/half-life/en/images/e/e2/Aperture_70s.svg
    Or, even if it's less chronologically accurate, I'm a big fan of the '40's/'50's Aperture Logo: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110528234310/half-life/en/images/2/21/Science_innovators_vert_metalblue.svg
    In fact, 1950's Aperture might fit better with the aesthetic of TF2. Just saying...

While I did really want to use the old logos, I decided not to. The reason was that I really had no idea what a portal gun or a combustible lemon launcher would look like back in the 80's. I stuck with the modern logo because that was the style I made the gun. The logic behind that it was finally finished during this time.

Again, I really wanted to make it look like it was during Cave's time, but the only old portal gun you see is the one from the 50's (I think). Even then it's only a silhouette:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1_AajDy_yrg/TdctKCdjaoI/AAAAAAAAANY/gMJAdIvz77s/old%2Bportal%2Bgun.jpg

Granted, you do see other things from old Aperture such as cubes and buttons, but it's hardly enough for someone to model a design after (but I will try it now).

Edit: That flamethrower is really cool, Cbast.
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapdemosample1_by_rave8259-d3hzk53.jpg

The hardest version of the hat to fit into. Took me 2 tries. (The first one looked like a turban) And this is probably my least favorite because of the compromise i had to settle with. (The demoman's bonnet is so visible) The Demoman's other hats have allowed part of the bonnet to be visible, but the way i did it for the garrison cap, it's probably the most visible yet. I tried covering it but deformed the hat so much i just had to settle with this one that at least keeps its form.

Lochness badge is fully rendered at a surprising 165 triangles. May add more detail if needed and thats where you guys come in. Suggestions, critique and comments are welcome.
  • NicKaTimE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garrisoncapdemosample1_by_rave8259-d3hzk53.jpg

The hardest version of the hat to fit into. Took me 2 tries. (The first one looked like a turban) And this is probably my least favorite because of the compromise i had to settle with. (The demoman's bonnet is so visible) The Demoman's other hats have allowed part of the bonnet to be visible, but the way i did it for the garrison cap, it's probably the most visible yet. I tried covering it but deformed the hat so much i just had to settle with this one that at least keeps its form.

Lochness badge is fully rendered at a surprising 165 triangles. May add more detail if needed and thats where you guys come in. Suggestions, critique and comments are welcome.
    Color it a bit like you have the others?
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6

Making that should be easy for some, as it only has the handle to be made right? You could just use the Portal gun itself as the launcher.
  • TheBoxman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! I'm a bit of a newbie here on these boards, but that doesn't mean i don't have good ideas! For example, this little number I've been working on for a bit...

sockheddpreview.jpg

It's still a little bit of a Work in Progress so I'm looking for constructive feedback. Download link is here if you wanna take it for a spin: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TJRKDADF
  • roninsmastermix
    NicKaTimE wrote: »
    Color it a bit like you have the others?

Yes of course. This is just base team yellow.
  • NicKaTimE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes of course. This is just base team yellow.
    Also the emblem looks a bit confusing and non recognizable to most people unlike all the other ones you have done. Could you choose one that's maybe a bit more well known?
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making that should be easy for some, as it only has the handle to be made right? You could just use the Portal gun itself as the launcher.

You are almost right. Speaking of that, anyone know where to find the model for the portal gun in portal 2? I tried looking through the files, but I don't understand the new(-ish)system it uses at all.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Cbast wrote: »
    Haha, that concept is awesome. I really want to see it as a model :')

Anyway, here's some news :

10599e80aaccc956b0471cfc56f62.jpg

you know what would be awesome? if through those vents of the side, flames would burst out when you use it.

like this:
    AForceFlamesALLCwalkden_lg.jpg
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the first TF2 model I've made that I actually intend to submit. An attempt at John Lennon styled sunglasses for the Spy and maybe more classes (this model is probably terrible from a technical standpoint, but eh...)

demopic1.jpg
    demopic3.jpg
    demopic2.jpg
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @redsheep, I like the concept, but the white and logo make it look more like modern aperture.

Logowise I would use the two classic ones:

apeturelogos.jpg

And maybe also get rid of the text, that way the brand is subtle enough that Portal fans automatically know what it is, and for non Portal nuts its not as in your face as some of the other promos.

Plus using these logos fits the time period more, so the trolls can't use the "earbuds excuse".

As for the white, I'd recommend roughing it up more or making it team-coloured.

@Masich:
    I would stylise the nose guard a bit, and generally beef up the frame some more.

@Cbast:
    What Evil said, also, is this another Touhou reference?

On the subject of my Flare gun, square barrel seemed to be the most popular on Gamebanana, so I'm going with that.
  • roninsmastermix
    NicKaTimE wrote: »
    Also the emblem looks a bit confusing and non recognizable to most people unlike all the other ones you have done. Could you choose one that's maybe a bit more well known?

I will try. Thanks for giving me your input. Right now the best thing that comes to ming is the Highlander and of course the sticky bomb. I'd rather not use the sticky bomb since we've seen that before but i do want something to make sense for the demoman. Still doing research on this stuff. May take a few hours. Suggestions are welcome.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    @Masich:
    I would stylise the nose guard a bit, and generally beef up the frame some more.

Thanks for the critique, I'm going to take a look at them in-game first (as soon as my compiler stops being difficult) and will probably do some more refinement on them once I've seen that.
  • Just a Gigolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheBoxman wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I'm a bit of a newbie here on these boards, but that doesn't mean i don't have good ideas! For example, this little number I've been working on for a bit...

sockheddpreview.jpg

It's still a little bit of a Work in Progress so I'm looking for constructive feedback. Download link is here if you wanna take it for a spin: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TJRKDADF

Butter Toast For Heavy.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11

That concept is totally BA! unfortunately, everyone jumped when I came out with mine :P
    Yours tops mine by a million miles man.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »
    That concept is totally BA! unfortunately, everyone jumped when I came out with mine :P
    Yours tops mine by a million miles man.

You made one? Care to link it?
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Release ! Ay !

The Cremator's Touch (Hell's Kotamak).
    70eb489206244e51889b7a1ba364e.jpg
    _7909-.jpg
    This is a flamethrower which make a reference to Utsuho Reuiji from Touhou Game Series. This is also a coalpowered flamethrower, I do hope the pyro will like it :3
    I didn't manage to add smoke particle (or fire) on the chimney or the coalburner. It spawn a billion of particle when you taunt :V

tf2mods.net : http://tf2mods.net/mod.php?id=151&do=display
    Gamebanana : http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/109424
    dttcorp mirror : http://dttcorp.fr/tokamak/
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5ai4r8.jpg

Spy glasses in game, dunno what to name em' yet
  • Larate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While I did really want to use the old logos, I decided not to. The reason was that I really had no idea what a portal gun or a combustible lemon launcher would look like back in the 80's. I stuck with the modern logo because that was the style I made the gun. The logic behind that it was finally finished during this time.

Again, I really wanted to make it look like it was during Cave's time, but the only old portal gun you see is the one from the 50's (I think). Even then it's only a silhouette:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1_AajDy_yrg/TdctKCdjaoI/AAAAAAAAANY/gMJAdIvz77s/old%2Bportal%2Bgun.jpg

Granted, you do see other things from old Aperture such as cubes and buttons, but it's hardly enough for someone to model a design after (but I will try it now).

Edit: That flamethrower is really cool, Cbast.
    I'll work on a concept based on the tiny silhouette. Just stepping in to let people know not to panic, help is on the way.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I remember that actually.
  • CdeMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Masich wrote: »
    /IMG]

Spy glasses in game, dunno what to name em' yet

The Lennon's Lookers
    The Guitarman's Glasses
    The Backstabber's Bifocals
    (also, all of these would be [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3HAJ4DjMhY"]level 64[/ame])
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Those Lennon glasses are looking pretty nice. You should reposition them slightly though because it looks like they're clipping a bit on certain facial animations. Also have you tried out putting some transparency on them? I think it'd also be a good idea to make the lenses paintable.
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm thinking of making a robo-cop style visor for the solider called the "robo-top" if it was nice & all would it have a chance at getting accepted as a contribution? Would there be copy right issues? If i made it only evocative of the movies helmet that would work to right?
  • farmboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those Lennon glasses are looking pretty nice. You should reposition them slightly though because it looks like they're clipping a bit on certain facial animations. Also have you tried out putting some transparency on them? I think it'd also be a good idea to make the lenses paintable.
    Try it, but when I made the lenses paintable on a pair of sunglasses I'd made, the results were...disappointing. Additionally, getting it to work is a huge pain, since the paint mask uses the alpha you'd need to use for transparency, and it's incompatible with the phong shaders.

In other news, I finally came up with another idea for a hat, so here's a WIP model I whipped up in the last hour or two (2 styles!).
    252969_1780393390886_1270950222_31586563_7458507_n.jpg
    reference
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

They do clip very minorly when the Spy screws his eyes up, but if I move them forward any further they just look strange. Might make the lenses smaller, but they're pretty tiny as of now.

As for transparency and painting, both are ideas I'd love to have implemented for them. Unfortunatly, it seems transparency doesn't work the same way as I'm used to because both my attempts for it have failed.

In addition, I have no clue how to make things paintable.

If anyone is interested in helping out with those two things, please PM me.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    They do clip very minorly when the Spy screws his eyes up, but if I move them forward any further they just look strange. Might make the lenses smaller, but they're pretty tiny as of now.

As for transparency and painting, both are ideas I'd love to have implemented for them. Unfortunatly, it seems transparency doesn't work the same way as I'm used to because both my attempts for it have failed.

for transparency it is easier to just give the lens it's own material id and give it it's own material shader.

i can help you out on that if you want.

since Lennon usually had purple lenses it would make the lens paintable, and leave the frames there current colour, with some more texture to it, and some phong shading.

if you want some help PM me and i can drop my steam name so we can chat
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

When I made a set of those glasses for the pyro I found this vmt worked:
    "VertexLitGeneric"
    {
        "$basetexture" "models\player\items\pyro\lenses"
        "$envmap" "env_cubemap"
        "$envmapcontrast" ".5"
        "$envmaptint" " [1 .8 .4]"
        "$translucent" 1
        "$model" "1"

// Cloaking
        "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
        "Proxies"
        {
            "spy_invis"
            {
            }
        }
    }

With the basetexture containing an alpha map for the lens (A gradient of less transparency on the bottom seems to look nicer).

For paint you need to dedicate your basetexture alpha channel to a paintmap (white for painted areas, black for areas unchanged by paint, and anything inbetween would be a mix of those two), so you'd need a secondary opacity map declared.

Example:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1275606&postcount=4778
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    for transparency it is easier to just give the lens it's own material id and give it it's own material shader.

i can help you out on that if you want.

since Lennon usually had purple lenses it would make the lens paintable, and leave the frames there current colour, with some more texture to it, and some phong shading.

if you want some help PM me and i can drop my steam name so we can chat
    This would be great, I'll shoot a PM at you in just a moment, look forward to working with you.
    Jman wrote: »
    When I made a set of those glasses for the pyro I found this vmt worked:
    "VertexLitGeneric"
    {
        "$basetexture" "models\player\items\pyro\lenses"
        "$envmap" "env_cubemap"
        "$envmapcontrast" ".5"
        "$envmaptint" " [1 .8 .4]"
        "$translucent" 1
        "$model" "1"

// Cloaking
        "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
        "Proxies"
        {
            "spy_invis"
            {
            }
        }
    }

With the basetexture containing an alpha map for the lens (A gradient of less transparency on the bottom seems to look nicer).

For paint you need to dedicate your basetexture alpha channel to a paintmap (white for painted areas, black for areas unchanged by paint, and anything inbetween would be a mix of those two), so you'd need a secondary opacity map declared.

Example:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1275606&postcount=4778

Yeah, my VMT is a lot like that, so was the first one I used. I think it's because I have the lenses and frame all in one vtf, never made two seperate unwraps for one model before.

Thanks for the paint tutorial by the way.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    26237kj.jpg

Decided to go down a slightly different route. It was too plain and boring so thought a bird which could be painted would be more eye catching.

@Masich: I haven't touched Source in a while but dont you just place an alpha map in the 32 bit channel of the diffuse?
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on this rocket laucher inspired by the on in TF2 Beta. So far just roughing out the shape. I wanted to actually play with silhouettes beforehand, but I just couldn't get myself to do it after seeing the first attempt. Made a quick testcompile to see how it looks in-game. Vievmodel is tilted because it's using Black Box anims, didn't bother fixing it for now.

Pocket_wip1.jpg

2011-06-05_00001.jpg

2011-06-05_00003.jpg
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The end is going into his shoulder, also it looks pretty short. I would also beef up the front as well.

Apart from that, the block out looks pretty cool
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I'm thinking I may try to get my feet wet attempting some TF2 gear with some Ancient Roman equipment for the Soldier.

A Gladius shovel replacement:
    300px-Uncrossed_gladius.jpg

An Eagle-standard Buff Banner:
    roman_eagle_27577_lg.gif

And a gladiator-style helmet (since someone went and beat me to the more obvious Centurion helmet...):
    samnite.jpg

I have my doubts about a Ballista Rocket Launcher, but that would be my idea for a primary replacement in this pack.

Thoughts?

Edit: Got started on the Gladius. About an hour's work, based more on this than the version I attached up above.

gladius_060511_01.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapdemosample2_by_rave8259-d3i538i.jpg

Update on the garrison cap. This looks pretty good now for me. The hat still looks weird. I may try to fix that. back in a few hours i guess.
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Pocket Launcher. Well, the main reason it's so short (yet roughly the lenght of the Black Box) is because it's supposed to be pocket-sized. Tweaked some stuff, still some to add, mainly the mini-crit charge gauge, some hoses and wires and refine the handles etc.

2011-06-06_00002.jpg

2011-06-06_00001.jpg
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ tonysladky

The gladius bugs me... it's just that the gladius is a stabbing weapon... You wouldn't slash with it ;)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shhhhh!!!!! People don't know that!
  • Apocol0id
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad Mike wrote: »
    Update on the Pocket Launcher. Well, the main reason it's so short (yet roughly the lenght of the Black Box) is because it's supposed to be pocket-sized. Tweaked some stuff, still some to add, mainly the mini-crit charge gauge, some hoses and wires and refine the handles etc.

2011-06-06_00002.jpg

2011-06-06_00001.jpg

That's pretty hardcore! I like the barrel design, it all really distinguishes it from the other launchers. The FPS view makes me think the end of the barrel should be 2x larger than it is, right now it seems kind of small onscreen, doesn't take up the same amount of space as the other rocket launchers. I'd definitely use this rocket launcher ingame for sure.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    I will be making two different versions of the ASHCLL (Aperture Science Hand-held Combustible Lemon Launcher): a modern one and an 80s styled one.
    I have a crude concept for the 80s ASHCLL drawn, and I will be fleshing it out tomorrow.
    I also edited the modern one (changed out the claws).
    Better?
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapdemoengiesample_by_rave8259-d3i600f.jpg
    HLMV shots of the demo and engie garrison hat. 1 more left. I need your help on this, i have no clue what to do with the SPY's badge. Suggestions with pics is very much appreciated. Thanks to all that supported this btw.