Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    @Masich: I haven't touched Source in a while but dont you just place an alpha map in the 32 bit channel of the diffuse?

That's what I thought too, and then you just add one line into VMT, but apparently it's more complicated than that now.

Passerby will be helping me get the damn things working. I've already readjusted the rigging so that it doesn't clip with the Spies eyebrows (I think).
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    HLMV shots of the demo and engie garrison hat. 1 more left. I need your help on this, i have no clue what to do with the SPY's badge. Suggestions with pics is very much appreciated. Thanks to all that supported this btw.
    Tricky one. I don't have a useful reference to hand, but maybe a French Resistance badge would be suitable... if such a thing exists.

Failing that maybe something like SPECTRE from James Bond
    007_SPECTRE_Logo_001.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapspysample1_by_rave8259-d3i68q8.jpg

40 minutes later and this is what i have. Wanted to wrap the a snake from the hand to the knife but i fear its going to make it too cluttered now. May add text on the outer frame of the triangle. Your thoughts?
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix: The first thing that comes to mind is a classy spy silhouette, like in the openings to the old Bond movies... Or maybe something knife-focused... It's a conundrum for sure... I'm kinda picturing the base as more of a police badge/shield-shape than the badges you've done so far, or possibly using some spirals like that "looking down the gun barrel" thing from the Bond intros. Possibly both.

@Ruskeydoo: You could slash with one... I mean... I know it's not ideal, but it's doable... or so I've heard.

I've been trying to figure out what else he could get as a melee since you pointed that out. I could imagine some sort of cruder, blunter, more shovelesque melee weapon, taking the gladiator helmet and running more with Gladiator than Legionnaire. Perhaps a club or a morning star.

I haven't had much luck finding reference of a standard issue Legion shovel. On the other hand, there's always the entrenching tool of the Ancient Romans: The Dolabra, which would make it a direct (or indirect) descendent of the type of shovels used by modern RED and BLU Soldiers. The Deadliest Warrior Wiki, at least, points out that it could probably make a handy melee weapon in a pinch. "Dolabra" would also be fun to alliterate with when it comes time to name it.
  • Cyxopyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creators of custom spy knifes, please help with my .qc file, whatever i do spy hands with my knife in blue team got red team hands, tryed searching, but only answers was developer wiki internet pages, or threades whith creators that forget add } brackets in ther .qc files. My .qc (one from many i tried):

$cd "C:\cFTP\3ds\output v knife"
    $modelname "weapons\v_models\v_knife_spy.mdl"
    $includemodel "animations\vknife.mdl"
    $model "v_knife_spy" "v_knife_spy.dmx.smd"
    $cdmaterials "\models\weapons\v_knife\"
    $cdmaterials "\models\player\spy\"
    $texturegroup skinfamilies
    {
    {"spy_hands_red" "knife"}
    {"spy_hands_blue" "knife"}
    }
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "bip_upperArm_R" -2.150 0.000 -3.420 2.880 14.560 1.990
    $hbox 0 "bip_lowerArm_R" -2.200 0.000 -2.620 2.620 13.180 3.260
    $hbox 0 "weapon_bone" -1.500 -0.500 -2.000 12.500 0.500 1.000
    // Model uses material "models/player/spy/spy_hands_red.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models/weapons/v_knife/knife.vmt"
    // Model uses material "models/player/spy/spy_hands_blue.vmt"
    $attachment "weapon_bone" "weapon_bone" 0.00 0.00 0.00 rotate -0.00 0.00 -0.00
    $surfaceprop "default"
    $illumposition 19.078 -6.452 -12.038
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Had a bit more of a poke around looking for suitable spy badges now that I'm home. You may like the French Foreign Legion one
    24835254_125x125.png
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick 'n dirty concept for a medic melee weapon. Don't ask about stats.

Note: i'm aware that the coils & antennae are illogical.
    shock_therapy.jpg
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @re.wind: As someone who frequently plays the subclass "Combat Medic", I want you to give that to me. Now!

I think if I had to change anything, I'd lose the antenna. It doesn't really serve any function other than to try and create some silhouette similarity between the Shock Therapy and the Ubersaw/Vita-Saw with their needles. See what losing the antenna does to your silhouette and maybe make the sawblade sexier from there. Other than that, maybe a nice thick rubberized grip would be handy for protecting the user (or maybe not since the Medic's already got those giant rubber gloves...)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Over the weekend I unearthed a bunch of TF2 weapons (C-models) and character models I had de-compiled along time ago. Hopefully most of you know how to extract models and de-compile them but it can be a lot of work.

The character models made their way around the web when the Polycount TF2 contest was kicking off, but I never got around to posting the weapon models until now. Someone in another thread asked for them so I dug them up. I figured I should post them here also...

The character models can be found in the first post of this thread, if the link isn't valid you can get them here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/TF2CharacterSourceFiles.rar

The Weapon C_Models can be found here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/TF2WeaponC_ModelSouceFiles.zip

And the source files for a bunch of props I created for CTF_Decker can be found here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/PropsPackSource/ctf_laynedecker_SourceFiles.zip
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mark Dygert: that's really helpful, thanks.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick set of variations. i quite like B with E's front and the charge meter.

shock_therapy_alternatives.jpg
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix - @Jackablade's suggestion looks very good, and check how it would look with a rose added (in reference to Scout's mom) :P
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »

E !!
  • ColonelBD
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapspysample2_by_rave8259-d3i7jrh.jpg
    update on the spy badge for the garrison cap
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jackablade: By "French resistance badge" do you mean this:
    Resistance_emblem1.jpg
    From WW2?

Got my Flare gun ingame with AO, I know there is clipping, and I still need to sort out the bodygroups (damn flare):
    ingame1.jpg
    ingame2.jpg

Went with the square barrel as per request by Gamebanana.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Over the weekend I unearthed a bunch of TF2 weapons (C-models) and character models I had de-compiled along time ago. Hopefully most of you know how to extract models and de-compile them but it can be a lot of work.

The character models made their way around the web when the Polycount TF2 contest was kicking off, but I never got around to posting the weapon models until now. Someone in another thread asked for them so I dug them up. I figured I should post them here also...

The character models can be found in the first post of this thread, if the link isn't valid you can get them here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/TF2CharacterSourceFiles.rar

The Weapon C_Models can be found here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/TF2WeaponC_ModelSouceFiles.zip

And the source files for a bunch of props I created for CTF_Decker can be found here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/PropsPackSource/ctf_laynedecker_SourceFiles.zip

AWESOME!
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimbodan wrote: »
    The uneven spacing on the middlemost bars makes the pyro look like he's got some kinda slanty asian stereotype eyes.

Is this the inspiration for the item?

pHVQQ.jpg

Are you a wizard? yes it is. any sugestions to make it better or more different?

also can you add me as a friend in steam? need some help with some stuff...
  • roninsmastermix
    garrisoncapspysample3_by_rave8259-d3i7v2g.jpg
    update on the badge again. I need to fix the frame, the stretching killed the design a bit so i had to make the frame much broader so the text wont be stretched. I'm going to rebake it later.
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice. I wonder if it might read better from a distance if the eye and face holes of the mask on the badge were open so we would be identifying a Spy in that Fleur-de-lis by the background color revealing his eye holes rather than just seeing AO... Just a thought.
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garrisoncapspysample3_by_rave8259-d3i7v2g.jpg
    update on the badge again. I need to fix the frame, the stretching killed the design a bit so i had to make the frame much broader so the text wont be stretched. I'm going to rebake it later.

I'm not sold on the half-spyface, I think it would look better to have his whole head and the rest of his shoulder on the badge

Apologies for the quick hackjob, but hopefully you get the idea
    ecLio.png
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the 1980s ASHCLL:

80s_combustible_lemon_launcher_by_theloneredsheep-d3i8sdd.png
    What do you guys think?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    RedSheep wrote: »

What do you guys think?

nice cant wait to be buring people with lemons.
  • Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »

What do you guys think?

Apart from the logo, it looks too modern.
    In the 80s people were really keen on sharp edges and cheap plastic in their designs.

It looks like aperature stuff in the 21st century with 80s logo.

I'd suggest looking into some kids toys and what people in the 80s thought the future would look like plus common electronics from that time.
  • Aygor974
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »

E... definitely E :poly124:
  • hughchilles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unrelated but had to share my latest crafting failure. Having finally enough metal I excitedly started this abortion:

Metal -> Camera Beard
    Camera Beard + Noble Amassment(
    untradeable) -> Rubber Plunger
    Rubber Plunger (now untradeable) + Magistrates Mullet -> Pyro Beanie

I now have an untradeable Pyro Beanie to forever mock me, damn.
  • roninsmastermix
    garrison_cap_tf2_by_rave8259-d3i9lii.jpg

Garrison Cap is done and will be submitted later today. Thanks to all that supported it and for all the input i received that helped me make this hat. Let's all hope it gets in.

Note:
    • Styles to come later. (Badge worn as medal, Camouflage style and Reverse color scheme are planned)
    • Texture file still has room for sunglasses for the soldier and medal ribbon for all classes.
    • Took 11 days to make.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you ronin and I hope to see this ingame soon.

Infact I'm sure the good people at Tf2mods and Gamebanana could use a little garrison cap related love *nudge nudge wink wink*.
  • roninsmastermix
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Thank you ronin and I hope to see this ingame soon.

Infact I'm sure the good people at Tf2mods and Gamebanana could use a little garrison cap related love *nudge nudge wink wink*.

I dont frequent those sites but i do intend to release the files after i send it in to valve. Someone else will need to post it there for me. Thanks for the interest.
  • Aygor974
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garrison_cap_tf2_by_rave8259-d3i9lii.jpg

Garrison Cap is done and will be submitted later today. Thanks to all that supported it and for all the input i received that helped me make this hat. Let's all hope it gets in.

Note:
    • Styles to come later. (Badge worn as medal, Camouflage style and Reverse color scheme are planned)
    • Texture file still has room for sunglasses for the soldier and medal ribbon for all classes.
    • Took 11 days to make.

keep up good work ronin :thumbup:
  • roninsmastermix
    Aygor974 wrote: »
    keep up good work ronin :thumbup:

Thanks. Right now i'm pretty open to suggestions. If you guys have any good/badss ideas for a hat, just post here and i'll try and see if i can model it or something.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kebab wrote: »
    Apart from the logo, it looks too modern.
    In the 80s people were really keen on sharp edges and cheap plastic in their designs.

It looks like aperature stuff in the 21st century with 80s logo.

I'd suggest looking into some kids toys and what people in the 80s thought the future would look like plus common electronics from that time.

The shell on the gun is thin and going to be made look like plastic. I did look at toys and electronics from the 80s. The handle was based on the NES Zapper (granted, it is a rather common looking handle). The challenge really was to make it look like something ahead of its time but from the 80s. It also was heavily influenced by old portal gun concepts and 1980s cars as well.
    If you have any suggestions of things to add or take away, I'd be most appreciative.
  • Pedroanavitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hye guys :) I'm very new (I mean completely and utterly new) and i was wondering if anyone could help me off starting, I really would like to learn how to start designing items etc :)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    finished up and submitted my sword fish dagger finally.

fsword-1.jpg

thumb_dagger.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great Oobersli. I'm not sure about that bending on the end of the tooth though. I wouldn't expect a tooth to ever deform like that and it doesn't look too great from first person.
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Right now i'm pretty open to suggestions. If you guys have any good/badss ideas for a hat, just post here and i'll try and see if i can model it or something.

Here's some of mine that no-one has claimed yet:

Kill Bill Eyepatch for Medic
    qA3DW.png
    1HiX6.png

Engy Prospector's Beard
    COJI5.png

Engy Flintlock Pistol
    A7aWr.png

Medic Eye Bandage and Scar
    eePmb.png

Medic Monocle and Scar
    HObtl.png

Scout Navy Issue and Temporary Tattoo
    FacQN.png

Some other idea's I'm tooling around with but haven't had a chance to Mock up:
    • Bride of Frankenstein Wig for Medic
    • Bandoleer of various Spanners/Tools going across Engy's chest like Heavy's bullets.
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimbodan wrote: »
    Here's some of mine that no-one has claimed yet:

Kill Bill Eyepatch for Medic

[/LIST]
    how would you remove the glasses?
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we get a bird's nest in that great big bushy beard for the Engie? Just a couple eggs in a little hollow would totally make it for me. Would go great with that bird's nest hat someone was making for the Sniper...
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how would you remove the glasses?

For my screenshots I found a noglasses medic skin on fpsbanana/gamebanana and used that. I'm not certain how it would be accomplished by Valve, but its not the first time they've removed items, IE: Flare Casings for Stockbroker's Scarf, Grenades for Lumbricious Lid, and the scout's legs legs for Essential Accessories, so I'm assuming they could do the same for the Medic's glasses in a patch.
  • Shock_Coil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I think I'm going to name my cowbell as "Burner's Bell" and a description as "Just what the doctor ordered". Thanks for the help with the naming. Any last crits before I submit it?
    itemtest0021.jpg
    itemtest0016.jpg
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the bell always sit above the cannisters on his sash? Or does it move and is just coincidentally sitting in about the same spot in each screenshot?

Also, in that second screenshot, it's like solid black. It looks like it's missing a texture file. I wonder if the black cowbell is too dark for the dark parts of maps and maybe should be a different metal (I know black is a popular color, but I'd buy it if it were brass or copper or aluminum or whatever else they might be made of)
  • Seraphin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As much as i like looking through this thread, i know i'll probably never have the technical know-how to create hats in the game.

So i thought i'd throw out some ideas from time to time for items i'd like to see in the game.

For Soldier/Heavy:
    Special_Forces_soldier.jpg

The Beard would be a misc. item. It could be called "Furlough Fuzz" or "Fuzzy Furlough" and the description could read "I ain't got time to groom," a reference to Predator.

The head-wrap, sandstorm goggles, mic combo would be for the head slot and the style would set the goggles on either the head or eyes.

The afghan scarf might be a bit much on the soldier/heavy, so maybe it work better on the Sniper.

For Sniper:

Hitman's Head-wrap/Solar Scarf

110308sas--129957951894391700.jpg

Ak-47_assault_rifle_soldiers_afghanistan_Afghan_army_001.jpg

Taliban_0.jpg
  • TheBoxman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated The Sockhedd's tip to be bulbous rather than conical. Makes it more accurate that way.

sockheddpreview2.jpg
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Sooo am I the only person here that has problems compiling stuff after the TF2 update?

The only thing I changed to the model are the UVs and a new texture. I didn't change any of the names or moved any of the files.

When I try to compile it doesn't give me any errors or anything it just gives me this and then does nothing:
    Created command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\[name]\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\studiomdl.exe" -game "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\[name]\team fortress 2\tf" -nop4 -nox360 F:\Art2D&3D\3D\Maya\TeamFortress2\crossbow_sniper\compile\crossbow_sniper.qc

It was working fine before. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Launch the sdk, open model viewer and try again?
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Oh wow ... I'm just gonna facepalm for a few minutes now..

I did open up the model viewer before, but then closed it again because I figured it only had to create a few files by starting for the first time. But leaving it open while compiling did the trick...

Thanks a lot Pogo :D

It's weird that it used to work fine without opening the model viewer before though.
  • Bopoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone have a nice guide for making new weapons? I have no idea what to do now that my model is done.
  • Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tonysladky wrote: »
    Does the bell always sit above the cannisters on his sash? Or does it move and is just coincidentally sitting in about the same spot in each screenshot?

Also, in that second screenshot, it's like solid black. It looks like it's missing a texture file. I wonder if the black cowbell is too dark for the dark parts of maps and maybe should be a different metal (I know black is a popular color, but I'd buy it if it were brass or copper or aluminum or whatever else they might be made of)

If it was jiggleboned it wouldn't collide with the cannisters, it would go through them. It's placed there by hand.
    It would need to be animated.

Also, missing textures in source games have black and pink chessboard texture applied to them automatically.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18271121/TF2/tf2guide.html

One of the complete guides in here should do the trick.
    In short you need to
    make the model, unwrap, bake textures etc etc
    Export .smd files for the mesh and sequences
    create/edit a .qc file
    compile using studiomdl. I recommend downloading GUIstudiomdl because it makes finding errors so much easier.
    Create textures, export as vtf files, create a vmt for the texture.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Oh nice tf2guide.html you got there Pogo, I shall be going through that tonight.

Soon I'll be starting on my textures and after that I'll have to make and export custom weapon animations, so that's gonna be a fun nice challenge.

@ TheBoxman You might want to pull the hat down a bit at the back of the head. I know you're going for the Edd hat there, but in the cartoon it touches the ears of Edd and since the engie's ears are way lower it just makes it feel as if the hat is gonna pop off any second. But maybe it's just me. I instantly recognized it as the Edd hat, so good job there :D