Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Doing little touch ups on all of the items I made for the "Mexican Pyro" pack, but in the mean time, I'll be working on design for a demoman grenade launcher replacement: "The Incendiary Lemon Launcher". :)

Here's the current state of all the Mexican Pyro items. Final critique would be appreciated.

packimage.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'always shoot for the proper functionality' ??
    Yeah, like how a shotgun looks like a shotgun, not something else cool-looking. ;)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    It would be nice to see them in-engine rather than rendered cause it makes the textures look odd. I feel like I can't judge it till I see it in the Pyro's hand / face.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to as well, but I don't know how to compile them, and the last time I tried, it kind of scared me off.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    It's easy. I'll run it by you step by step via Steam chat if you want. I did it with another once and it helped him a lot. Add me, habboi.

It's late though so I'll do it tommorow provided you're UK'ish time.
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So uh, did the update break MDL Decompiler for anyone else? >_>

Wait, disregard that.
  • Ls777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying this again, This is my first TF2 model work, most of it is placeholder at the moment, as Im not sure what to do for the rest. Crits would be appreciated =P

BrassBelcher.png
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the design. From the sillhouette, it's easy to tell right away that it's a gas pump connected to a trumpet.
    It would be even better if the trumpet had controls (sorry trumpeters, I don't know the right word) so the pyro could play it as a taunt. :P
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the design. From the sillhouette, it's easy to tell right away that it's a gas pump connected to a trumpet.
    It would be even better if the trumpet had controls (sorry trumpeters, I don't know the right word) so the pyro could play it as a taunt. :P

It's a trombone. Trombones don't have valves.

I like it. Maybe when you texture it you can work the music theme in more deeply. Sheet music scrawled on it somewhere or something.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Started on the launcher for my Seafaring Soldier set.

sealauncher_wip_01.jpg
  • AyesDyef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cravat.png

Working on the texture.
  • roninsmastermix
    commandoengiesample9.jpg

Getting my feet wet in animation. Seriously considering on removing the ammo belt all together and replacing it with a curved ammo clip. But that's the lazy way out, though.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Zip: A curious design indeed. Why do I see Pipe Dream in it. It'll be interesting to see how rockets are launched in that thing.
  • :Duh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've read so many pages..... I am a newb at this but I am still young and as a grow older I'll probarbly have some of the skills some of you possess. I'm learning a bit just by reading posts. I'll start watching tutorials and practice alot. I'm loving everyones work and keep up the excellent work. I have just made a sphere! :D EDIT: i have flattened it and it looks like a cookie nom nom nom :)
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Ronin, you mind if I really dislike your whole engy transformation? a robot hand is one thing, but add a whole mechanical arm and a ammo belt dispenser in his back is on a total new level of character mutilation. I highly doubt valve would ever incorporate these models in tf2

I think you took it way to far :)
  • roninsmastermix
    EVIL wrote: »
    Ronin, you mind if I really dislike your whole engy transformation? a robot hand is one thing, but add a whole mechanical arm and a ammo belt dispenser in his back is on a total new level of character mutilation. I highly doubt valve would ever incorporate these models in tf2

I think you took it way to far :)
    i prefer comments that disagree with my vision actually. It makes me look at the other side of things that i may be missing. I'm aware not anyone would like it and really its up to valve if they accept it or not. I'm just happy i came this far to modeling ideas. If i can finish it to a satisfactory quality then i can say its a job well done. If valve uses it in the game, then its a welcome bonus for most of us, i guess.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I'd have called it done with just the arm. That pack on the back is getting really over the top.

:duh: It had better be a choc-chip cookie.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O_O i see my postal pummeler on the tf2 wiki for the summer camp sale.
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doughnut Bear: Lol you just found out? It was included in the Summer Update last week. Congrats!
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Barlim Thanks!,a friend actually just sent me a link lol.

edit: a bit confused, is it exclusively part of the summer update or will it be in the store later?
  • roninsmastermix
    @Barlim Thanks!,a friend actually just sent me a link lol.

edit: a bit confused, is it exclusively part of the summer update or will it be in the store later?

Welcome to the club. i am utterly clueless myself. I don't even know if we get shares of the key sales. I just want my self-made hard top now :(
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to the club. i am utterly clueless myself. I don't even know if we get shares of the key sales. I just want my self-made hard top now :(

Either way im still pumped i actually got something in, though money is good too :P
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tankao.jpg

ao bake of the oxygen tank replacer(note the bands across it are were the straps are).
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    I'd have called it done with just the arm. That pack on the back is getting really over the top.

:duh: It had better be a choc-chip cookie.

yeah. the guy won't go the extra mile of making his sentry arm look even cooler by making the gun barrels longer. but he'll go the extra mile by making a whole entire backpack to go with the sentry arm to make it look cooler.

lmao.
  • Barlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix: I don't think we get shares of the key sales, but I'm not positive. When my Rack went up around Christmas, I believe it was originally only findable in the crates, and then went on the store after the holiday. This seems to be the same situation, so I'd expect to see our stuff up on the store after the 11th (when the Summer Sale ends).

Edit: Oh, and the mailbox is a replacement for the Axestinguisher, which is pretty awesome 'cause everyone's gonna want one.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barlim wrote: »
    @roninsmastermix: I don't think we get shares of the key sales, but I'm not positive. When my Rack went up around Christmas, I believe it was originally only findable in the crates, and then went on the store after the holiday. This seems to be the same situation, so I'd expect to see our stuff up on the store after the 11th (when the Summer Sale ends).

Edit: Oh, and the mailbox is a replacement for the Axestinguisher, which is pretty awesome 'cause everyone's gonna want one.

I hope valve puts in some custom stats for it, also kinda sad i didnt submit it in with my re-worked texture that i did(alternate style later down the road?)overall very happy/suprised i also love the kill icon they did for it :P
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @Doughnut Bear whats your tri count, it looks like you could afford a few more
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I began working on a shotgun for my set, but then there's this Junkyard Justice set coming soon and I wouldn't be surprised if it would use the Pocket stats from the Beta, which is what I've had in my mind when making this set. So I made the basic shape of the shotgun few days ago and then boom, nothing comes to my mind. And it looks bare right now. Wanted it to have some sort of coil/medic's backpack stuff on the side to emphasize the fact that it is somehow related to cooperating with a Medic. So far no succesful attemps, so yeah, well, pics...

Shotgun_AO1.jpg

Shotgun_AO2.jpg
  • Doughnut Bear
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'always shoot for the proper functionality' ??

you guys amaze me sometimes.

i'll make it short and sweet so you can get my point:

if it doesn't look cool. what's the point???

Games are supposed to look cool. Nobody cares about proper functionality. If an soldier suddenly got a jetpack upgrade, do you think players go, "I wonder if jetpacks are realistic?" No, they don't. They go, "OMFG, that's so effin' COOL!"

seriously. I think you guys take games too seriously, sometimes. 'Proper functionality'? Really? I never actually thought when Mario picked up a mushroom and grew 10 feet tall, that it was really proper functionality. I just thought it was effin' cool when he grew 10 feet tall.

'Proper functionality'? Really?

You completely skewed my words and misunderstood my statement entirely.
    What I was saying (and did say) is that you should make something look like it does what it does. I never said anything about realism, and I haven't a clue where you got that from. You can make a jet pack for the soldier, and there is nothing I said that should make you think I would be opposed to it. My statement would have been, 'if you are going to make a jet pack for the soldier, you would not make it look like two hairdryers taped to his back; you would make it look like it could actually function as it is supposed to.'
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FOR THOSE OF US WHO WERE INCLUDED IN THE SUMMER UPDATE:

I e-mailed Robin last Friday and yesterday I got a response from Brandon saying that they'll put our items in the store when the summer promotion is over (July 11th I'm guessing) and we WILL get a share of the key sales.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zipfinator: great to hear!

tankcolor1.jpg
    tankcolor2.jpg

started texturing, still wip. this is how it looks in relation to the back of the pyro. Will have both blu and red team colors. crits welcome :)
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zipfinator: great to hear!

tankcolor1.jpg
    tankcolor2.jpg

started texturing, still wip. this is how it looks in relation to the back of the pyro. Will have both blu and red team colors. crits welcome :)

dude. that looks more like a jetpack than anything. but looks really good, regardless! Thumbs UP
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to get the mask and hat ingame after a huge amount of help from Habboi. :)

maskingame.jpg
  • sunoxen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys. This is my first post, so don't murder me. :)

Basically my girlfriend and I are going to start on a new project soon. The project you ask? A top to bottom engie pack with new buildings, weps and hats.

She is a 3=-D animator, artist, and production designer and I ma a writer and director. We thought it would be fun to collaborate together on a project. I love TF2, and pitched her the idea, and we will both start in a couple of weeks. We call it the "Uncivil Engineer" update.

We will share our work in progress with the community here as we go, but I was wondering if this is the place to discuss ideas, or is it better to just show our artwork? We'd like some feedback on some of our ideas. If anyone wants to PM me and let me know that they are interested in a long doc on our concept ideas, I'll share the Goggle doc for feedback.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and can't wait to have something to show you guys. Thanks!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Compiled the launcher real quickly to see how it looks with the Soldier.

sealauncher_wip_02.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool Zip, Keep it up :P
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Managed to get the mask and hat ingame after a huge amount of help from Habboi. :)

maskingame.jpg

Looks good, although the texture on the skull looks a little dark and the hat's positioning looks a little awkward. :thumbup:
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    packjs.jpg

decided to swap out the keypad with an alarm clock to give it a more cartoony tf2 feel. crits so far? i still have to add the wires.

what does the oxygen tank replacement do exactly? add more fuel for the flamethrower?
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what does the oxygen tank replacement do exactly? add more fuel for the flamethrower?

not sure, it may be purely cosmetic or it might add some sort of effect such as increased health but take away the use of the shotgun or something. as far as functionality the oxygen tank on the pyro doesn't connect to anything so the only detrimental effect of having a missile in its place is the risk of being blown up :P
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure, it may be purely cosmetic or it might add some sort of effect such as increased health but take away the use of the shotgun or something. as far as functionality the oxygen tank on the pyro doesn't connect to anything so the only detrimental effect of having a missile in its place is the risk of being blown up :P

i was thinking more along the lines of, 'Increases the range of the flamethrower to twice its normal range' - but takes away the use of the shotgun.

but I don't know if Steam would allow such an overpowered effect like that. lol
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol ya that might be too much, though a sniper rifle flame thrower would be badass
  • roninsmastermix
    engiebackpacksample2.jpg
    Basecolors on the backpack. adding the textures tomorrow. Keeping the design simple for the backpack. Notice too that the arm is now colored in my 'commando' motif. This is a planned default style. Team colors were intended as a second style.

Again the backpack should occupy weapon slot 2. Stats pending.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Ronin. I wasn't sure about the backpack before but it looks very nice now. I'm not sure why you want the commando colors to be default though.

I believe I am done with the mesh on this. Added a trigger mechanism, a switch and wires going to the back of the launcher. Tomorrow I'll get it UVed and start texturing.

sealauncher_wip_03.jpg
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone mind shooting me some ortho screens of the heavys gun? Or him holding it. I'm planning out a weapon for him but I'm not sure about the hand holds, and whats possible with that... I saw some other weapons in here made, Im wondering how they approached the hand holds.

I downloaded the models but I can't find a model of the gun anywhere.

Thanks bunches and I'll post my little idea mock up soon.
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zip
    I don't think that you should continue on with that model yet. It is good so far, but I don't think that it's done. You still can add more to it to give it a more interesting silhouette, but my main complaint is that the main body looks very loosely held in place. It looks like the barrel would just freely slide around, so I suggest beefing up those restraints.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    @Zip
    I don't think that you should continue on with that model yet. It is good so far, but I don't think that it's done. You still can add more to it to give it a more interesting silhouette, but my main complaint is that the main body looks very loosely held in place. It looks like the barrel would just freely slide around, so I suggest beefing up those restraints.

You're right that the handles look like they could slide around. I'll add some little metal restraints onto those bars. I don't want to make the silhouette too complex though. Look at the Black Box. Its silhouette is basically a chamfered box other than the two caps hanging off. Most if its detail comes from the texture. If you have some interesting suggestions though I'll try them out.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    You're right that the handles look like they could slide around. I'll add some little metal restraints onto those bars. I don't want to make the silhouette too complex though. Look at the Black Box. Its silhouette is basically a chamfered box other than the two caps hanging off. Most if its detail comes from the texture. If you have some interesting suggestions though I'll try them out.

but as simple as the blackbox is, it still has an interesting silhouette
    Something your rocket-launcher is currently lacking. I'd say go back and try to redesign it with silhouette in mind.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the current silhouettes compared.

sealauncher_silhouette.jpg

I'll try out some modified silhouettes in Photoshop and see if anything is more interesting. Honestly I'd be happy with it the way it is now though.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    i need help its the first time im using gui studio mdl and im trying to set the path for orangebox tools and ep1 tools it says the gameconfig.txt file could not be found in the folder specified.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\insertusernamehere\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin

am i doing it right?