Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Ruz those anims look great, I think you should remove some keys to make the loop loose that little hiccup though, and it doesn't look like Brucie's holding that gun properly, other than that I love seeing someone taking the time to animate their awesome work :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawtalent, let me rephrase everything people have been saying: STOP FUCKING POSTING IN HERE.
    Make your own thread, and LISTEN TO THE COMMENTS YOU GET.
    I'm honestly confused at this point whether you're just a troll or actually eager to learn.
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You obviously haven't read a word people wrote about your previous update but here it goes again in a more short and abrupt manner: you shouldn't be wasting your time with this kind of detail and coloring and whatnot. That time you took to do this could've been better spent studying anatomy and making the appropriate changes to your model. Get reference and practice a lot, make lots of sketches, lots of drawing, etc.

I have taken into consideration what was said, for example I fixed the nose,I fixed his crotch area, and he isn't supposed to be totally realistically proportioned, he needs heroic proportioned, and I did use reference
    cgindia43.png
    I really don't want to get people annoyed but I am taking into consideration every bit of advice that I am given
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    It's not just a matter of fitting proportions, it's more complicated than that, plus I don't this reference will do you. I mean, now I understand why your pecs look so round. You shouldn't rely on one single piece of reference either, and even if you take a comic book drawing for overall proportions get some photographs of real people as well, there are tons of bodybuilding pictures around the internet you could use, for example.

Also, I don't really understand why he should stop posting here? I agree he would benefit much more from having his own thread but he isn't spamming this thread and other people keep posting their WIP shots as well, I don't see why this case is any different from what is already going on.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RAWTalent wrote: »
    and he isn't supposed to be totally realistically proportioned
    That's the shittiest excuse for anything ever. Listen to the good advice you're given here and follow it. Or even better, make your own thread, keep everything in one place.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I forgot to address that but it's totally true. Every stylized character has to have a very strong foundation on realistic proportions and shapes. That's what you exagerate from, you don't just get to make up shapes at random. That's why we insist, know your basics and every thing else will come from there. Seriously, I'm saying this and I do mostly cartoony stuff, studying anatomy will improve your overall understanding of the human body and its shapes.
  • Mohawkd_Zombie
    @RAWtalent
    you seem to be knocking characters out everyweek. and no offence but none are good. People have been giving you great crits and were all trying to help but you seem to be taking the bare minium out of it.

you need to slow down. stop and draw, get some books on anatomy. dont just use a (very bad) super hero reference. watch tutorials. look how other people did their characters. spend alot of time on 1 character, dont rush it

I have no problem seeing your stuff on this thread, but the issue some people have is everyweek theres something new and it dosnt seem like your taking crits.

and maybe your not cut out to be a character modeller. no shame in it. i wanted to be a character modeller when i started but i learned i was much better at environments and props.

the key is to SLOW DOWN. i dont want to see a full character in a week, i want to see improvement. use a tutoral and do the head. then ask for crits, then fix it if it needs to be fixed and if it looks great..then continue

i really hope you take our crits because were trying to HELP YOU
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    I have taken into consideration what was said, for example I fixed the nose,I fixed his crotch area, and he isn't supposed to be totally realistically proportioned, he needs heroic proportioned, and I did use reference

I really don't want to get people annoyed but I am taking into consideration every bit of advice that I am given
    people are annoyed as this thread used to be a massive source of inspiration and your half arsed models are ruining the thread! no one cares what your working on quite frankly
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, way to be an asshole. You know you can just scroll through stuff without looking at everything, right? This isn't the "Post your beautiful stuff so people can lick your balls" thread, this entire community is built on helping each other out and giving constructive criticism, I don't know why this is so difficult to grasp for some people.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Rawtalent: + for trying, Doing a full character like that with all of the muscles showing is not an easy task. Organic models are nothing like hardedge models when it comes to relying on a blueprint sheet (even with hardedge models its always good to have extra reference).

my best advice would be not to make your first models from comic or cartoony stuff.
    just try modeling a normal male from reference and observe it from every angle possible.

also just make a wiptopic, it's the best way to keep track of what people said :)

tadpole: don't be a dick ;)
  • Glode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glode polycounter lvl 11
    warhammerscene2.jpg

Lost a lot of stuff (such as the fire place, and broken up floor pieces and some other stuff) due to a pc problems >_< so gotta remake stuff.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

I think it's maybe a little early to be tackling characters...you don't fully understand proper polygon modelling yet. Try smaller non-organic projects till you do. As is stands now your work is not improving from project to project.
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok well all I can do is keep trying :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I think it's maybe a little early to be tackling characters...you don't fully understand proper polygon modelling yet. Try smaller non-organic projects till you do. As is stands now your work is not improving from project to project.

This.

Rawtalent: If I'm right, you're coming from a modding community place, where things happen to be made from nothing with no planning or reflexion whatsoever on what's going to be created (if I'm right, a GTA modding community).

It's quite normal that people here are a lot more honest in their critiques since they have a professional background for most. Now this forum IS the best place for you to learn from your mistakes, for sure. So keep up, and make sure to take into consideration what has been said in the last worthy posts.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Rawtalent, dude, did you finish those magicians with anubis?
    crowd prays you to do that.
  • Eneyeseekay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (I Then checked myself for bullet holes)
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    people are annoyed as this thread used to be a massive source of inspiration and your half arsed models are ruining the thread! no one cares what your working on quite frankly

Completely unnecessary man, he's trying and actually following through with all of his models, but its obvious he is still new and learning. Not everyone can bust out flawless art, it takes time and practice.

As for you RAWTalent, listen to what everyone is saying. It's obvious that you need some practice and all these kind people are EAGER to give you pointers, you just need to make sure that it is done in your own thread. No one is going to want to explain to you in detail what's needed to be fixed in such an active thread like this one.
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I will create a thread for all of my stuff to go in, 1 too keep out of here for people who use it for inspiration (and people who blow a fuse waaaay to easily) and in the hopes I can improve my skills, and probably most importantly to allow me to get more of the helpful constructive criticism that I have been receiving. Thanks for all the constructive stuff I have had in this thread from the majority :)

And felipefrango in particular thanks man, I am new to this side of modelling I only really have experience with modding projects and although it's a steep learning curve I am passionate enough to stick at it.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to see you take this so well, looking forward to seeing you develop your skills dude
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, learning to take criticism is also part of the whole thing, you have to be humble and learn to recognize your mistakes, and it's actually harder said than done. I have a really hard time receiving criticism but I know it's best for me if I just listen to it and learn where I'm wrong. You'll see you'll be less and less wrong over time. ;)
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    hugz times now?
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe Andrew Loomis hugs :3

oh yeah, another thing RAWTalent: every now and then, zoom out, rotate your model, check it out by taking a step back and look at it from a distance... not just the front and side views. The 3/4 angle is a good place to check you got stuff working, you might even want to find references for that angle too, not necessarily to model directly from but to take a look at while working. Ok, is this too much thread derailment?
    -
    Practising environments by working from Super Metroid stuff
    gamet_cove.png
    gamecovemesh1.png
    as you can probably see I am very new to environments, but I'm learning a lot in the process, at least about lights... like this lava test
    cavecomp.jpg
    :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    making a fat tree, very early stage
    fat_tree_01.jpg
  • Sisqo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started working on this today.
    benelli m4

benellim4wip.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thanks for the feedback guys. Makes me want to animate some more:)
    Here is my run cycle so far
    brucerunny.gif

I will make a new thread for them after this as it might be a bit distracting seeing stuff move in a page layout
    loving Xoliul's 3DS Max Viewport Shader BTW. I use it for all my work now
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a remake of the bathroom from the "Facility" map in Goldeneye. It's for one of my five classes, so I don't have the time that I would like to put into it, but I'm hoping someday I can do the whole map. All the textures except for the walls are a WIP. Also going to add more props.

bathroom_01.png
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    And now for something completely different.

NRigL.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    ^ i imagine you splined that design and has horrible geo on the top but doesnt matter cause its flat anyway?
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    ^ Approve

Is that just a stand alone piece or is it part of a larger project?
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    @Ruz: It's not looking too natural too me. Kinda looks like a sped up walk animation. I think it's cuz he's running with his back straight, usually when you run you have your shoulders out in front of you.
  • TripleAs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been looking at this forum for a good 4 months now and I've been too afraid to post anything because i'm really overwhelmed by the level of the artists in here. You guys are such an inspiration T____T

But... well, enough of that gay introduction (not that I have anything against homosexual people tho')

I've been working on my spare time to some weirdo Zombies Ate My Neighbors remake and I'd LOVE some critics on my models, mostly because I may have started modelling when I was 12 (now 19) but I still don't consider myself good... let's say I think my models are *sighs* ...decent for a 2003/2005 game e_e

So... this is the model i'm currently working on:
    zeke.jpg
    And a wire.
    wireb.jpg
    As you may notice, I'm going for a cartoon-but-not-that-cartoony look but I don't think I'm on the right path.
    So... if someone could help me with a paintover I'd definitely appreciate it

P.S.: after I'm done with this base model I'll probably take it to Zbrush but that won't make such a big change since I suck at it. I've had it for ... two weeks now x_x
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson:
    Pretty much, yeah. I actually imported an Illustrator file into Modo and worked from there, so it's definitely pretty messy.

Slipstream:
    One of the projects I have in mind for the near future has to do with Ender's Game, so I'm planning on using that in the final presentation images. I also just wanted a cool wallpaper.
  • Aranoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote:
    Slipstream:
    One of the projects I have in mind for the near future has to do with Ender's Game, so I'm planning on using that in the final presentation images. I also just wanted a cool wallpaper.
    I knew it ! When I saw "Dragon" and "Battle School" I immediately thought of Ender... A wallpaper version would be nice ;)
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Been looking at this thread and all the work I'm seeing is awesome.

Glode - Environments looking nice, too bad you lost a bunch of your stuff. It is really dark at the moment and I'd try going in and lighting it up as right now its very hard to make out what's going on.
    @Neow - that's amazing man! Awesome stuff.

Don't really know if I'll be using this stuff for anything so at the moment it's simply HP modeling practice - would definitely love any critique;

uh...a dome of sorts:
    4590585573_6f401e1d1e_b.jpg

Was staring at Kevin Johnstone's Unreal models for too long and well, this is pretty much inspired by his:
    4591206832_4239e4673e_b.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson wrote: »
    ^ i imagine you splined that design and has horrible geo on the top but doesnt matter cause its flat anyway?

bugger lover
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aranoth wrote: »
    I knew it ! When I saw "Dragon" and "Battle School" I immediately thought of Ender... A wallpaper version would be nice ;)

I made it so I could use it as a wallpaper. So here you go.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    paulsvoboda , that just way toooo awesome! Very Kevin Johnstone(which I don't mind, he's one of my favorite artists!) I love the gritty rendering, it complements the models just right!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Got around to baking my robot, and started throwing some colors on to it.
    He's around 10k tris, with 2k textures for now (but should look fine with 1k).

kamdo_04.jpg

Great stuff on these pages for the last few days, you guys rock.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    wow bal i thought that was the highpoly
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    fucken nice Bal !
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Damn... is that really the low? That's probably some of the cleanest bakes I have ever since... what is your secret!?
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Those gdc demo rocks were so pretty I had to make a rip off of the material to test on some rocks.

rocksd.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ruz wrote: »
    thanks for the feedback guys. Makes me want to animate some more:)
    Here is my run cycle so far
    brucerunny.gif

I will make a new thread for them after this as it might be a bit distracting seeing stuff move in a page layout
    loving Xoliul's 3DS Max Viewport Shader BTW. I use it for all my work now

Timing is way too even...experiment with giving it more frames while he's in the air...or the opposite, see what works best.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    very nice paulsvoboda!
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Epic job bal :)!

cavecreatureso1.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Autopsy Soldier and Blender head. yeah I think it does need a bit of work to take it away from the slightly default look it has now.
    It's harder to get the extra sublety in there , the base is fairly easy to get
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Swizzle wrote: »
    sampson:
    Pretty much, yeah. I actually imported an Illustrator file into Modo and worked from there, so it's definitely pretty messy.

Slipstream:

That would be awesome :)

@Muzz: Those are some weird and neat little creatures.

@Bal: Really, 10k :O That seriously looked like the high poly. Can't wait to see the textures for it!

@paulsvoboda: Those are really beautiful pieces, I definitely see the inspiration. The only thing I think is kinda strange is that you double up on bricks in the middle of the dome, so that they're side by side. Is that how it works? My search of the internet to confirm or deny my opinion failed.

@build.: Those must've been tough to make. Nice rocks!
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal, can you throw a wire up here? Looks awesome.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys!
    Yeah I learnt quite a lot about what works and what doesn't with normal maps on this model, most of the visible 90 degree angles are chamfered, with one of the edges being hard (the one that has the UV split, so as no to add an extra vertices with the hard edges). Was tricky to fit it at 10k, used a lot of progressive cylinder collapsing (I just made that term up), to keep a good silhouette, while having a minimal amount of edges on the inside.

Here's a quick screenshot of the wire, it's at 10 145 triangles to be precise.

kamdo_05.jpg
This discussion has been closed.