Home General Discussion

ZBrush 3.5 Announced

Replies

• jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone else freezing up just by clicking on the install file? We are having some issues here. This is with the original release, not the new one.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    gosh damn... glad i didn't install 3.5 over the weekend
  • anoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Installing 3.5r2 was painless... but then here at home I am on XP.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Okay... so... On Vista Home 64, I now have ZB 3.1, 3.5, and 3.5R2 all working perfectly.

Am I doing something wrong?
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    I told you they should release it next year.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    We all moved over to 3.5 here at work. I'm personally having a hard time using a lot of the brushes I've grown accustomed to like Clay and Flatten. I saw the trick about setting your Depth Samples to .75 for the flatten brush, but it's still not quite the same. The surface normal sculpting seems to really change how these brushes work. Does anyone else find themselves struggling just a little bit? Is there a way to make all the brushes work like they did in 3.1? I really don't find the changes made to basic sculpting an improvement at all.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    I've been tweaking settings here and there and right now I'm feeling more comfortable with this update. A coworker is getting lots of crashes though when using posable symmetry and deleting hidding polys. Anyone else getting that?
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    You can try these variants of the flatten brush, they're supposed to perform more like the ZB 3.1 type. Download link is at the bottom of the first post.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=609040#post609040

and there's this advice for an original flatten approximation from a guy on CGTalk

(here's a link a link to the page, there are also some suggestions from Martin Krol that sound interesting)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=805496&page=6&pp=15

"OK, I've worked out what the problem is with the new Flatten behavior (I think), instead of taking the average of the normals under the brush and updating that as the brush moves (taking it's own flattening into account) it's now just taking the very central normal, like all the new "planar" tools or whatever they're called, so the brush tilts around a lot more and can never properly flatten or smooth out any curves.

This is kinda a big problem as it actually makes the tool useless for smoothing tasks. However I think it is possible to at least get some of the behavior back, though not all as it still seems to pinwheel around in it's orientation on not non smooth surfaces a lot even with these changes, but try the following changes :

Change the Brush->Depth->Samples to 0.75 as Martin mentioned before.
    Change the Brush->Modifiers->Stabilize to 100
    Change the Brush->Modifiers->Smooth to 10

And you should start to get something a bit closer to where the Flatten tool used to be, it's still not exactly right, but it's better than nothing at all.

Unfortunately loading in the old brush preset didn't work, I gave that a try before but it behaves just as the new one does. Thing is I don't use z-brush on anything that ever has a totally flat plane on it, so I don't see the point, hard surface modeling I'd do anywhere but Z basically."
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    MoP, you can remove ztools showing in the Tool bar by pressing the "R" button in the corner of the ztools box. Or are you referring to something else?
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    all that does is Resets the palette graphically. all the tools you've loaded in that session are still there. cluttering shit up. renaming shit in traditional backwards as fuck zb fashion

thankfully the clearTools plugin still works with this release. but fuck me if it still aint : ' here at pixologic we're about workAROUNDS. not workFLOWS. enjoy your stay '
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have 3.5 release 1 :(:(:(
    No email..
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Just out of interest, does 3.5 now support TGAs?
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    LoM Chaos: Did you register yourself in the suport area of pixologic? i think they won't send you an email if you dont register there with your serial and cleverbridge number. If you did, poor your :D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i got that mail, clicked that link, decided not to register that shit because i had no time to test, now i have and bam, link only works one time, great... support center doesn't answer, yay
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After toying around with both 3.5 updates.

I'm finding the right-click menu to be pretty poor this time around. Not only when you right click, you have to sometimes do it twice to open it. But also it's not sensitive to know when you are "not" trying to rotate the view of your model.

Aside from that, it's an update that may find praise for those enjoying the Zsphere's. But myself who isn't a Zsphere user. This update is lacking alot of things, I know pixologic could have added into zbrush from their previous (for plugins that is). Like Decimation Master, Subtool Master, ZApp-Link.

Aside from those things, i'm finding it a bit slow and hard to manuver fluidly, like 3.1. Where as now, it's like mudbox with extreme slow downs. Also, what's with the rotating of the models going off in space when you're not in "local mode" ?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    saw this posted on zbrushcentral
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=158107
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=158108

apparently the problem of zspheres screwing up simple hands has been fixed? can people confirm this cause this is excellent news if its true, its the main reason I didnt like zspheres.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still lots of N-sided vertices and uneven polygon size... me don't like :(
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vargatom wrote: »
    Still lots of N-sided vertices and uneven polygon size... me don't like :(

Until we get that GoZ, that will all disappear! :D
  • .Murder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well that was a shock? lol not

any free updates imo are ftw!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Been giving zb3.5 a shot over the past few days, and asside from flatten now being useless, I can no longer see thumbnails of my ztl files when in the load menu, wth? Does anyone know how to get that feature back? Their are a ton of other problems I've found but that one really irks me.

Was actually hoping when getting online today that their'd be a shiny new r3 patch out, but no such luck.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Ged wrote: »
    apparently the problem of zspheres screwing up simple hands has been fixed? can people confirm this cause this is excellent news if its true, its the main reason I didnt like zspheres.

Yep, no more wacked out preview mesh or need for tinkering with zsphere settings to get clean 5 fingers.

But you don't really need to do it in zspheres 1 anymore if you're gonna use zspheres 2. Since it comes with an armature brush where you can stroke spheres into space. So all you really need is just a sphere stump to build off da fingaz.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHSvs5mT7qk[/ame]

Heres how i go about building zsketch hands.
    An underlying zsphere rig gives u great posing abilitys over only armature brush.