Home General Discussion

ZBrush 3.5 Announced

Replies

• ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    I got the mail, I filled what I had to (well, it was rather confirming, all the informations about me stayed the same), I´ve got my cleverbridge number and SN. I have the zbrush 3.5 zip folder downloaded, but where should I extract it? I have the weirdes feeling that I should just manually put all the files from zbrush3.5 folders into zbrush3.1 folders. Am I right? thx
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    They said the email would contain all the instructions you needed. Is that not the case?
    I haven't got the email myself yet though so I can't confirm that.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop - well, not really. it says:
    "INSTALLING ZBRUSH 3.5
    After your download, unzip the file ZBrush3_5.zip and extract it to your programs folder. Within your programs folder, open the folder ZBrush 3.5 and locate ZBrush.exe and double-click on it. You will be guided through the installation process."
    but when I extract the zip file (anywhere on the disc, whether it´s program files or pixologic folder, all I didn´t do was extracting it directly into zbrush 3.1 folder because I have weird feelings about that...) and double click the zbrush.exe, I get this:
    "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I thought I saw a troubleshooting note about that warning on the Kayako support site (the one where you set up your support account) - have you checked that?
    It sounds like you might not have the latest VC++ redistributable installed?
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it some "side-by-side" error, I read that too. But I couldn´t find anything regarding my error message. But I might try installing the VC++ redistributable file in troubleshoot file. thanks.

EDIT:

So I installed the VC++ redistributeble, and now I don´t even get the message, because I get the usual "send error report / Don´t send" window, you know.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Just patiently waiting for my support account activation email :)

If I had known this was how they were going to release I would have had this done already.

Slowest automated email system ever, though.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    I am in the same boat as frostymoose, been roughly 3 hours now, how long did it take for the rest of you?
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    glad im not the only one waiting. they should have sent the emails before the update was released, im in agony here
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    finally got my mail *\o/*
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    No email for me yet, although one of our character artists at work got his today, so I'm hoping mine'll arrive soon...

Edit: Not half an hour goes past, and here it is! :)
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Lucky you mop! I'm still waiting for mine... gah
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, you say that...

I downloaded and installed it, got the email with my serial number and everything.
    So I go to do the "Register via web" thing, and it has a nice simple website where you enter your registered email address, and the serial number they emailed to you.

So I enter my email address and the serial number that was sent to that address.

At which point it says:
    "The email address provided does not match with the serial key provided at the time of purchase."

WTF? I have entered the only email address I have ever used when dealing with Pixologic / Cleverbridge. I guess I'll have to wait for the email activation to go through (they say 2 days) before I can use it :/

Edit: Seems like judging by threads on ZBC, several other people have had this issue... I guess I'll have to wait for support.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Got mine at 10 minutes after midnight, Central time, last night.

And can I say I love it without getting assaulted or accused of inappropriate relations with ones and zeroes? Waitaminute, this is Polycount, of course I'll be assaulted, even as everyone else is having inappropriate relations with ones and zeroes... :D
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Got mine. Five-fingered hands with Zspheres are now possible without jumping through flaming hoops. There's a new adaptive skinning method not really mentioned much before that conforms to the Zsphere armature much better, although it can get a bit dense in places . Blocked out a character mesh in about half an hour, can only get faster when I know the tools. That's not even including all the sketch sphere stuff, which rock. The hype seems like it wasn't overdone for once :D
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    Still no email here:( arg! Seems like there could be a better way for them to do this:P
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    followed all the steps properly here too......still get some weird "activation failed" thingy. guess i'll wait the 2 days and see what happens.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After so long I'm seriously questioning if my account creation went through... How are they doing the account confirmation? Manually by telegram?
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    no problems installing/activating here.
    did you you guys that did have problems sign up at the support page?
    all the prerelease msg said that this is where pixologic/cleverbridge would be tying your accounts to email addresses, so this could be the problem?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Well, you say that...

I downloaded and installed it, got the email with my serial number and everything.
    So I go to do the "Register via web" thing, and it has a nice simple website where you enter your registered email address, and the serial number they emailed to you.

So I enter my email address and the serial number that was sent to that address.

At which point it says:
    "The email address provided does not match with the serial key provided at the time of purchase."

WTF? I have entered the only email address I have ever used when dealing with Pixologic / Cleverbridge. I guess I'll have to wait for the email activation to go through (they say 2 days) before I can use it :/

Edit: Seems like judging by threads on ZBC, several other people have had this issue... I guess I'll have to wait for support.

hey mop, i just saw this over at cgtalk, might help..
    For those having Web Registration problems - you need to have Java enabled. I'm using Firefox 3.5 and when I launched the Pixologic Registration page I noted Java running in the window for a split second. 2nd install has gone without a hitch..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    3devo: Nope, I had no problems signing up the support account or anything - all of that and the emails/downloads/receiving keys appeared to go smoothly. Just the web activation tells me my email address doesn't match my key :/

arshlevon: Cheers for the help, but I've definitely got java enabled (since the actual thing that takes your email address and serial number is a java applet).

I guess I'll give it another go now this morning, see if have better luck.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    lol mop, and i just got mine working... :poly124:
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Still no joy through the web activation. I've fired off an email activation request instead, hopefully that will come back before too long (they say "within 2 days").
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    installation went pretty smoothly once i finally got the download link, still have not had my support account email through though.
  • praxedes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mine went fine :)

Got everything at 1:30am UK time. all installed, up and running

~P~
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I'm beginning to feel a little guilty...

I have both ZB 3.1 and 3.5 running and working perfectly, got 3.5 working in about 10 minutes of registration and stuff. But three people I know, one had the "side-by-side" error, one got 3.5 working but it killed 3.1, and the third somehow had both 3.1 and 3.5 not only go kaboom but do so in such a way that she had to call Pix for a help ticket.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i am glad to report.....that upon my second try today.....zbrush 3.5 is up and running. YAY.

Mop....any luck?
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once I got a dl link, installation and activation was super easy.

New Zspheres are interesting, but I havent been able to get very good results yet. They're a bit unpredictable, and I think it's kinda hard to build forms with the right flow... practice, practice! Or perhaps I'm trying to do too much with them.

One thing I did figure out is if you are going to use a zsphere armature, make it very skinny. You guys all probably knew that one already, though :)
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Has anybody used th enew Zmapper yet then?

I am intrigued by the promise of it having inbuilt AO generation as I have been using ZMapper to generate normals for all my objects for a while and love the simplicity of not having to use a 3rd part app or export huge obj files. I have been using Max to generate a fake AO by baking a few domelight setups and comping them together which isn't ideal as you tend to get a bit too much directional lighting under the arms/ palms of characters. Mudbox's AO generation looked great but I have only seen it being applied to the level 0 of a mesh and not a mesh with an entirely new topolgy.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I never thought I would say that, EVER but yeah -
    can't wait for the mac version!

(at least I can GoZ and use a 3D grid in the meantime. And also repeatedly hit [ and ] before realizing they forgot to put brush resizing in the mac release!!!)
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have my zbrush for 3 days now - still not working. I already did everything they said on the support center, updated to SP3 - nothing, I even formated the hdd to see whether it´s not some conflict with other software. nothing.... basically (as mentioned before) here´s what I get:
    After downloading I just extract the file to my pixologic folder. And after double-clicking the zbrush.exe file I get this message:
    "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
    Sure, now you can say that I should install the vc redistributable file... I did, and all I got ever since that moment was typical "send error report/don´t send" window. When I uninstall/remove the vc++ redistributable file in add/remove programs and double-click zbrush.exe I´m back with the "application has failed..." crap.

Anybody else is having the same problem? So far I know only about 1 other person having the very same issues - SpaceMan from ZbrushCentral.com. We were asked to send the informations from dxdiag to the support so they could compare it and see what´s the problem, so now I´m waiting for some answer. Before I got a tip to disable DEP for zbrush - I already did it before I got the message from them.

Also, I just wanted to ask you guys one thing. I was having a little problem with online activation. Actually, I deactivated zbrush (3.1) so I could reinstall and activate again. Zbrush confirmed that I was deactivated succesfully. But when I tried to activate it after the reinstall I got the message that I exceeded the number of activations or something... So I tried giving him the number I got for 3.5 - it worked, 3.1 is running, but now I don´t know whether my original SN that I got with 3.1 is useless or not. But there´s something else I wanted to know: How does the e-mail activation work? See, I don´t like this issues with online activations and stuff, so what happens when you try e-mail activation? Is there a way to have something like permanent SN that you can just give him and work without depending on someone else? Thanks
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I got an email in response saying my serial number doesn't match... but it's the one they bloody mailed me!
    Hopefully can get this sorted out soon...
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GEIF.
    WANT.
    Now.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Love this software, always have, but they really need to get their act together with licensing. Take a page from Luxology's customer satisfaction handbook on this. One license, universal (don't make me repurchase just so I can use it on a mac), unlimited installs, so long as you are only using it on one machine. Everyone wins. Seriously, the way it works now just makes me want to pirate the damn thing so I can use the software I've paid for without all the bs.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry to hear people are having these issues, it really is a nice release..
    the new navigation and infinite zoom is great..
    also, there is no right click menu so no more stupid freezes, they did a good job with the popup interface assigned to space and i have offcially kissed the interface goodbye. just a window with a model...

i like this..
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwot wrote: »
    Seriously, the way it works now just makes me want to pirate the damn thing so I can use the software I've paid for without all the bs.

That´s true... You have it legally bought and all you have are these issues. you have to keep in mind deactivating before formating, but you can get into trouble even if it´s not your fault and the system just crashes and needs to be reinstalled. Plus I think that morally there´s nothing wrong with that if you have the license, right?
    arshlevon wrote: »
    also, there is no right click menu so no more stupid freezes, they did a good job with the popup interface assigned to space and i have offcially kissed the interface goodbye. just a window with a model...

i like this..
    really? how does the new navigation work? is there any video or something about it? I myself was used to the old one, so I´m really curious... not that I would expect to try it myself anytime soon with all the issues I have, but just so I knew.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    "This email contains the necessary instructions for upgrading to ZBrush 3.5 for the PC. Please follow the instructions carefully. You'll be using ZBrush 3.5 in no time!"

yep. i've been using it for no time alright. fucking most bullshit convoluted ass backward motherfuckers you'd ever hope to meet
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d wrote: »

really? how does the new navigation work? is there any video or something about it? I myself was used to the old one, so I´m really curious... not that I would expect to try it myself anytime soon with all the issues I have, but just so I knew.

oh it works the same, but now you can navigate with right click as well, i was speaking about how snappy and smooth it is. before it felt buggy, and my camera would always collide with model making getting in close a bitch.. ask pior, i think he wrote off zbrush altogether because of this.. lol
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math wrote: »
    "This email contains the necessary instructions for upgrading to ZBrush 3.5 for the PC. Please follow the instructions carefully. You'll be using ZBrush 3.5 in no time!"

yep. i've been using it for no time alright. fucking most bullshit convoluted ass backward motherfuckers you'd ever hope to meet

I think that all the BS we´re going tru is because of all the release dates they were giving without having the software ready to be released. They say that they just didn´t want to let us keep waiting anymore, so they did it this way to speed things up and make us happy. I would be much happier if they just didn´t tell me about zbrush 3.5 for like a month longer, and by the time they could test the software all they wanted without being pushed by deadlines they won´t be able to meet. So trying to calm us down and shorten our waiting is not an excuse. They got themselves into that position...
    However, I really appreciate the free update and I believe (when I get it running I will say that "I think", but so far I can just believe) that zbrush went a long way, but next time I´d rather have working installation file.

arshlevon - oh yeah, I know what you mean with that getting close to a model. that was really a bitch. Sometimes you couldn´t get close enough, next time you could, but you had to zoom out to rotate... I´m glad they got that fixed.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well. got it running and from my first quick look doesn't appear like they've addressed a few of the no brainer aspects. real stupidly simple shit. correct me if i'm wrong but still no ability to interactively / selectively remove tools from the tool palette. no integration of ' subtool master ' functionality into the core ui. no undo of deleted subtools. etc

one of the things i was looking forward to was the native ability to merge subtools right there in the palette ( since subtool peasant is so fucking hit or miss as to whether it'll work or not ). quickly merge a couple. make some broad edits then split them back out. but you merge them. and that mesh is thrown up into the tool palette !! dicks

all in all it still feels like one jenga brick away from collapsing altogether. where was it written that the apparent first rule of software updates is : ' add more. fix less ' ?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hooray, I finally got the proper activation code. Apparently they had some database issues, but the support people were pretty fast and polite (and clearly working through the weekend). I should be able to give it a spin when I get home tonight.

tacit math: I agree there is some basic obvious functionality that is still lacking. However you sound quite bitter, considering the app works very well in most respects :(
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    some things that are not getting the pres but in my mind are awesome changes

being able to set the smooth brush strength while pressing shift, instead of having to select it and change it then change back to normal brush,

normal zspheres actualy make nice meshes now, without all the fucked uppery of what they used to do.

things i'm not sure of yet,
    zspheres 2, well i guess they could be cool to rough shape out the form but i see ppl going all crazy with them like sculpting what looks like hightly detailed bubble gum monsters, just seems more benifical to me to detail more witn normal brushes than having to smooth out all the bubble gum balls,

my mat caps seem to look.. different.

over all i'm pleased,, tho i still get random out of memmory crashes that are anoying, i gots the 4 gigs
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    arshlevon wrote: »

i like this..

Infinite zoom? Do you mean you can just zoom in more, or that it doesn't lag horribly when you're zoomed in? I still get huge fps drop when I zoom in:( Happy with this release other than that, didn't have any licensing issues here once I got the email. Good luck to everyone having problems, hope you get it sorted out soon.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh one more thing slightly anoys me, i woulda rather waited another month and got it released with all the plugins working,, it really hurts me being without my subtool master and other things

but over all yay
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sorry MoP. i gotta say i'm bitter as shit. but as you put yourself : ' there is some basic obvious functionality that is still lacking '. yeah. fix that stuff first. their obviously weak attitude toward these failing aspects of the app is just tiresome

there's no question it has its strengths and you can get work done with it. but you could conceivably hammer a house together with the heel of a sturdy old boot. that doesn't make it anywhere near the smartest approach to the problem
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap i just noticed in the pre>preformance menu theres an autoback button now!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Any ideas on the best way to disable the sphere loading and suppressing lightbox popping open upon startup guys?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that bugs me also,
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Woop! All working now.

Some of the small simple new stuff that I'm already really liking:
    • "Frame Selected" toggles between zooming to extents of the current subtool, and the whole set of active tools.
    • "Surface Noise" is super cool. Very fast, good quality and tweakable. From now on everything I make will look like stone!
    • "Load Tool" now has a proper browser where you can select files of type and use the standard Windows drop-down to select recent .ZTL files. Why they didn't have this before I don't know, it made browsing a nightmare.

Some stuff they should really have fixed which I still hate:
    • You can't toggle a Layer's visibility if the subtool has hidden polygons. Whyyyyy!?
    • What tacit math said about not being able to remove ZTools from the Tool palette. I just want them to go away, I don't need them anymore!
    Also it seems a little crash-happy at the moment. I wouldn't put this in a production environment yet. And I want GoZ, dammit! :)
    Also the new "align cursor to surface thing" seems a little weird, I don't like it very much. Gonna set that back to ZBrush 3.1 standard.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    New Update. Zbrush 3.5 Release 2. Enjoy going through setup all over again. :)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=608695#post608695
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    uh 3.5 Realease 2 is available now.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=608695

ZBrush 3.5 Release 2 is now available to download
    ZBrush 3.5R2 contains the following new additions, updates and fixes...

NEW ADDITIONS...
    • New "Auto Groups With UV" option added which allows for auto-grouping by mesh (shells) and UV (islands) combined continuity.
    • Added option to allow object to rotate around its local center. To activate, press the "Align To Object" option in the Draw palette. Note: This button is stored when you save the custom config file.
    • Added a 2nd Flatten brush (similar to the Flatten brush found in version ZBrush 3.1).
    • A Preferences/LightBox option added to turn on or off LightBox at startup.

UPDATES...
    • Increased smoothing strength of the default Smooth brush.
    • Masking can now be applied with LazyMouse with or without Backtrack modes.
    • Increased the tolerance to mouse/pen movement when assigning Hot Keys.
    • The transparent button is now enabled even if the current tool contains only one subtool. This allows ghosted transparency to be activated when entering HD edit mode.
    • The sampling value of the ZProject brush is now zero by default.

FIXES...
    • It is now possible to generate adaptive displacement and normal maps even when the mesh is partially hidden.
    • The "Show Mask" option will auto-activate when applying masking in Transpose mode.
    • ZBrush activation code has been updated to be less sensitive to hardware changes.
    • ZBrush can now auto-group by UV Tiles even if the Tiles resides in the negative UV space.
    • Fixed the 2.5D Blur brush with ZAdd mode.

These following instructions only apply to people who have the original release ZBrush 3.5
    Anyone who purchases ZBrush or redeems their upgrade link from this point forward will receive the new version automatically.
    If your folder is already named ZBrush 3.5R2 then you have the most current version and do not need to install this update.
    INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS...

If you currently have activated ZBrush 3.5 on your system, you may want to first deactivate it by using the Web Deactivation
    button found in the Zplugins palette. When done, continue with the following steps...

• Download ZBrush using the link that was sent to you AFTER you upgraded. This is in the same email that has your ZBrush 3.5 serial number.
    • Extract the Zip file and Move the ZBrush 3.5R2 to your preferred location. (Usually, the Program Files\Pixologic folder)
    • Open the ZBrush 3.5R2 folder and run ZBrush. (For Vista and Win 7 users, right-click on the ZBrush icon and select "Run as administrator". )
    • When presented with the activation window, click on "Web Activation" in order to activate ZBrush immediately online. (For fastest completion of your activation, copy the key from the web page, return to ZBrush and click the "Enter Code" button. )