Home General Discussion

Brink!

Replies

• Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    finally came out in aus today (this morning), and been playing it for the last 5 hours or so.

Not really getting where all the hate on the game is coming from, finding it really fun and the controls are alot better than what i thought they'd be from the trailers (alot quicker and fluid, assuming they'd be sluggish and console tank-like :P).
    Art is awsome and i dig how customizable everything is ^^

And guessing they fixed the bugs people were mentioning in the last 2 days. Haven't notice it slow down once (on my 4 year old comp) or anything like that.
    Not sure how long lasting it will be but it's definitley fun for now :)
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    hey nizza - i was going to pick up my pre-order tomorrow - is there many aussies playing it online?
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Have been playing this for the last few or so hours here and im fucking loving it.

Ill see how it ages over the next few days/week but so far this is a 9/10 for me, really pleased i paid out the $90! for the steam version.

back to the ark for me :)
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    finally came out in aus today (this morning), and been playing it for the last 5 hours or so.

aus = Austria?

f*** that, man...
    i am exploding getting my hands on it, i am ger, and its not comming out until tomorrow...
  • Charlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game has grown on me a lot. Still little things that bother me like AI on my team that doesn't do anything but die. I am really loving the SMART system especially with the light body type it feels really rewarding when you pull off some of the combo jumps.

I'm really hoping they release an SDK because it would be great to see more open maps being created for more of the free running side of it. Some of the maps seem to suffer from being single pathways with maybe one or two jumps.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    hehe, aus = australia :D

and yeh there does seem to be a few other peeps playing around here (guessing there'll be a bunch more going on tommorow when more people get the game).
    Really like doing coop with friends, the attack/defend style works really well for that. I gotta get better at not being shot so much tho ^^;
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Bloody hell, someone has really aced the Parkour challenge...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3cme7BraI[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    Bloody hell, someone has really aced the Parkour challenge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3cme7BraI

This is actually the aspect of the game that was most surprising and makes me want to check out the game the most.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I'm praying that the first DLC includes more challenges. These are some of the most fun for me. That guy has really mastered the parkour element and shows how fun it can be once you've nailed it down.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I haven't picked this up yet but the art looks incredible. Who here worked on this? I heard 3point did some stuff. Anybody have any portfolio shots they want to share?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, some people are getting crazy with the parkour in versus mode, you gotta be sliding all over the place just to keep alive
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I got to play it a little, and I really like it so far. I don't like that it takes forever to kill anyone, the guns are so weak, and the machine gun platforms don't hit anything, and are super weak too. But the gameplay is fun, the art is amazing, the backgrounds are fun, and cool to just look at. The controls on the pc take a bit of getting used to, but I'm liking it.

Is there a way to make the guns suck less?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    I got to play it a little, and I really like it so far. I don't like that it takes forever to kill anyone, the guns are so weak, and the machine gun platforms don't hit anything, and are super weak too. But the gameplay is fun, the art is amazing, the backgrounds are fun, and cool to just look at. The controls on the pc take a bit of getting used to, but I'm liking it.

Is there a way to make the guns suck less?

Hit em in the head.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i found that upgrading my stability and ammo capacity while using short fire bursts was the most effective solution next to headshots
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Damage is actually BRUTAL, as you'll learn if you start playing online, but a lot of the guns have pretty tricky range/accuracy spread. Hit with 5-10 bullets with almost any gun and someone without command post + medic boosted health is going down. Go for the head, and make sure your shots are hitting! try closer range, or adjusting for recoil. Failing that, use one of the fast firing smgs (tampa and kross are awesome) and beat guys down from close range without iron sights.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will try upgrading them, and the burst firing with the Tampa, and Kross weapons. After thinking about it for a while, I am starting to wonder if it's the guns that suck, or the player. I think it might have been all the Black Ops I played over the weekend with my niece, with the two-shots-you're-dead gameplay I got used too. And that I'm not nearly as good as I had hoped I was :D

Still, gonna try some upgrading (not entirely sure how that works, will have to try again maybe tomorrow), and different guns. are there different guns the different body-types can't use? I'm a small guy so I can move around faster, and I wanted to use a shotgun, but it wasn't available in the list of guns.
  • jocz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    will be there a multiplayer pc demo ?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Light bodytype only gets SMGs. Honestly, i would steer away from light as a beginner, you're ludicrously vulnerable to gunfire and grenades as a light and enemies are going to focus fire on you.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanEG wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to make of this.

fFOpx.jpg

Hahahahaha ;)

Just different systems, different expectations though to be honest.
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bought this earlier on today and just started playing, it's pretty good, i <3 the character / weapon customization but i'm getting a weird bug:

31tLe.jpg

It shows the wireframe (or something like it) all the time, i tried restarting the game and updating my graphics drivers :(
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Light bodytype only gets SMGs. Honestly, i would steer away from light as a beginner, you're ludicrously vulnerable to gunfire and grenades as a light and enemies are going to focus fire on you.

Good to know, I'll change that the next time I play. Thanks
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Finally unlocked in Europe. First game went terribly.. lag was so bad that it was running out of my ears. Will give it a few more tries and hope it was me being unlucky. It seems like it would be a pretty fun game.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely loving this game so far, I love how the objectives are surrounded by a sense of purpose instead of just A trough B to C..
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    My pre-ordered version will arrive in my mail monday. Excited to test this.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    [HP] wrote: »
    My pre-ordered version will arrive in my mail monday. Excited to test this.

Get your games on steam ! I can't even remember the last time I bought a box version for a pc game :p
    Gonna try the game tonight anyway~
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my girlfriend just walked in with the PS3 version for me...

and now i'm sad =[

haven't opened it yet. gonna take it back and buy it on Steam. but now she's all "god i can't do anything right!"

FML.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok posting this here so hopefully one of you guys at SD can clarify.

Is the 360 version patched in the UK or not? I thought the Bethesda Blog said the texture issues and lag had been addressed in the patch. Certainly isn't the case here in the UK.

Gameplay is amazing, art is obviously stunning but really, how in the hell did anyone look at that texture pop and say 'Ok yup that's ready to ship'... I mean it's not even like a split second UE3 style pop-in, it's like 'eeeeww that looks terrib....(3 second pause) oh that's better'.

And yeah, lag.

I know I sound like a 16 year old Kotaku commenter but I'm quite shocked this got out in the state it's in, I mean it's a lot of fun but those are some pretty glaring issues right there.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I wanted to wait to make sure that the bad reviews were totally on crack and - as I suspected - they are. Playing SP is fine, though the bots can be a little stupid, it's a great way to "practice" and learn the game. The challenges are awesome, the art is awesome. Getting onto a good server seems to be hit or miss, but it's definitely still playable it might just take a second try. I'm having tons of fun with it, especially when on a good server with a friend or two - it's not "perfect", but there is NO way it's a 40/100 and no fucking way it's a 25/100.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Regarding the lag issue.

You're asking questions to a room full of artists, when the lag issue is more likely attributed to something like compression methods, rendering order, or any number of things that could be solved by a fuckton of mathematics that most artists have nothing to do with.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    picked it up last night. digging it so far, but haven't played enough. i might hit up some people on the Polycount group list to get a game going Saturday night. gotta unlock that light body type!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Regarding the lag issue.

You're asking questions to a room full of artists, when the lag issue is more likely attributed to something like compression methods, rendering order, or any number of things that could be solved by a fuckton of mathematics that most artists have nothing to do with.

Oh yeah my bad, I'll just go over to C#Count then where I know a bunch of SD coders are working and ask there.

FYI MoP had some tech roles on this, and surely even though the artists know nothing about the 'fuckton of mathematics' you guys do communicate to other company members in this industry right?

Surely you artists playtest a little. And surely when you load up your new assets and it takes 5 seconds to pop in a texture you think 'erm, that isn't right'. And then would someone not raise that issue to a lead or director, who would converse with other relevant leads.

I just thought it might have been mentioned in the office, and one of the artists might know at least a little. In any case, I'm more likely to get some reliable info here than anywhere else.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    It's okay. I'd like to be able to play it at all, really, but my computer just hates it.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just about to swap it from my laptop to my computer. That is if my computer decides to work nicely.
    :p
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Right, finally got some serious games in. I think the game is pretty good. Surely it doesn't deserve all the flak it has gotten. However there are plenty of bugs that I don't even know how they let it slip by. Sure you squash all the bugs but some bugs should be fixed no matter. Like I have severe sound issues where sound will disappear and I only hear random sound effects being played... it disappears until I quit to main menu. Oh, and I thought it was only me so I was like.. ok.. whatever, prolly my hardware. But the funny thing was that when someone asked in chat everyone said "yeah, disappeared for me too". That is SO strange.

But yeah, I kinda like the game overall. Could see myself level up some more and figure things out.

Sadly I believe the game is held back by marketing and technical issues. By marketing I mean expectations. Can't tout that you are going to make a game that does everything when it barely does one thing very well. It's what I call the Spore syndrome.

Anyhow.. I realize Im coming of more critical than I should. Cause Im gonna keep playing this game over the weekend at least. Then we'll see if the witcher 2 beats it. Haha.

EDIT: Oh, and yes.. making games is hard so I give full props to Splash Damage for pulling this off. Only ones that are better are those with a lot more money on their hands I'd say.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish there was some sort of party system. Is there a way to go into a public game with all your friends, or do you just have to invite them once you're in a match and hope that there are enough open spots?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    installing now.

are there any polycount dedicated servers?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea, the lack of a party system for such a team focused game is fucking atrocious. trying to play on 360 with my friends feels super clunky, and then when you accept the invite you have to click another button that says "join on invite" every time. really not diggin the game too much, feels super unpolished, horrendous lag and the same objectives for each map pretty much. a team deathmatch mode would be nice too, but thats not even includes as a side option.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most 360 multiplayer games allow players to "party up", or join a game lobby together, and then search for games with enough open spots for the party. Just a simple way to get in public matches with your friends.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooo gir...
    A polycount dedi server would be sweet. Used to help run a TF2 one till it went tits up.
    Would be pretty groovy if we could wang a couple of games up :p
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    soo which one of you guys put the greentooth logo in the game? i found it in my first online match!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    1 - your beard, what the hell.
    2 - pics? (of greentooth.)
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    adam wrote: »
    1 - your beard, what the hell.
    2 - pics? (of greentooth.)
    TerraBite wrote: »
    greentoothbrink.jpg

^
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    1. we had a month long bead growing contest at my last job, i won the contest, then never stopped winning it, haven't shaved since.

yup thats it,, tho i believe it may have been the same prop, i think i saw it in another area of the game.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    It looks absurdly blue... Is it all like that?
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    It looks absurdly blue... Is it all like that?

no its not, just a crappy pic taken with a crappy cam i guess... (no offense^^)

Soo.... I wet my pants to get a hand on this and i must say...
    wtf?
    I'm done with half of the campaign in like 3 hours?

Would have loved seeing a little more character development and such...

I dunno, didnt play multiplayer yet (are those the same maps?), but the singleplayer just feels like a showcase for them...
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I dunno, didnt play multiplayer yet (are those the same maps?), but the singleplayer just feels like a showcase for them...

Because it is a showcase for the multiplayer, the campaign is just a compilation of the maps in formation with bots for the opposition.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah k, that explains much...