Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Spark

Replies

• onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    skulls and death! new concept is looking great. details on the heads sculpt are lookin rad too.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Much better direction Brett. Are those skulls coming out of the elbows? That seems a bit odd.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    HELL YES! Now I'm excited, GO GO GO!
  • Lear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet design man! Only have one question about the size. The skulls make him feel like human size. Maybe switch them out for bodies if you wana go crazy that is but we all know you can handle crazy well.

good luck man
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    that concept looks brutal man! your awesome with the details... the character feels lived in, like he's been around for a while. Really cool. Also its good to see he has a sort of dark prince feel as well.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    that looks awesome Brett! body definitely fits the head more, feels much more powerful and scary
  • sunhutzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sunhutzu polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Bret. I like all the lil details you have on your guy. The guys harpooned by the tusks are a nice touch. The concept as a whole is lookin pretty badass. I can't wait to see more.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Hot! Personally i like the proportions of the top concept and the details of the other two. The short thighs dont convey his weight as well as the top concept. But yea its improved a lot. keep going!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    loving the concept dude. MOAR!!!!

Turning out to be an awesome war so far. I think I may need a new drive to move my inspiration folder too :o
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah, I really like the new direction much more. I watched your last year's dom-war entry avidly, looking forward to a showing that is just as awesome.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Man...as much as i hate to ride the fellatio wagon, you sir, are destroying with this thread.

Phenomenal concept and execution so far. Can't wait to see where it goes.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 17
    are...are those used condoms hanging off his elbows?
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skin textures mad quick
  • muppet man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    muppet man polycounter lvl 10
    You need more skulls, Brett! Skulls are evil, plus they ROCK!!!! Seriously, though I dare you to not use skulls and put some color in this one. I do like the paintover. Should be a solid entry.
    ;)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    i really like your latest sketches, the anatomy has a nice flow/chunkiness
  • Red Republik
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    heh :D, your concepts are awesome dude
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey all, thank you very much for checking out my work, and giving crits to help me out. Here is where I am at on the hipoly, still have a few more tweaks and touchups to call it done on this, but liking where it is going.

belail_hipoly_wip.jpg

Figjtpunch: Thanks:)
    Forevererendering: Preciate that, now to cast my lowpoly like you do!
    Snowfly: Only the colors in the concept that I did, but of course if you have ideas:) I would love to see them!...please:)
    Goon: Yeah I feel better about it, let me know what you think of the model.
    Renaud Galand: Thanks buddy:)
    Conte: Thanks friend, great concepts your doing this year!
    HellMark: Yeah, he does have shaman in him, ahh well demon lord/which doctor:)
    Onelung: Skulls FTW! Hahah, thanks Adam
    Bryan Cavett: They are suppossed to be big bone deposits/elbow bones, let me know if you think they work better in 3d.
    ThatDon: Hahah glad you like it, and I am trying:)
    Lear: Yeah the skulls on the collar are suppossed to be metal, but I am debating on keeping those in due to the proportion problem.
    Rv_el: Thanks man, coming from you that means alot, great Dom piece on your end again this year.
    Kite: Thanks Andy, and as always you humble me with your comments and work ( love the liver coat )
    Sunhutzu: Thanks Brandon, I apprecaite it. and let me know how yours is coming.
    Asmuel: Yeah the upper guy was more insect in feel to me, and not sure I want to go that direction, let me know if you think in 3d if the wieght feels better.
    Xaltar: Hahah, thanks for the kind words:)
    Drywall: Preciate it, and hope I can live up to it.
    ChaosEidolon: Hah, never heard it put like that but I apprecaite you stopping by and liking my work.
    Richkid: Not condoms, those are mid evil ball torturing devices...thought they would be a nice touch.
    Notebookguy: Sooo far away from skinning, but I am trying to hurry
    Muppet Man: Hey buddy:) I will add more skulls:P And I will try and add color, though grey is sooooo cool.
    JordanW: Thanks Jordan.
    Red Republik: Here is the update Jeff, let me know what you think!
    Blaizer: Thanks man, precaite that:)

Again. thanks for looking over my thread, as I know there are alot of threads out there, and I apprecaite as always any comments or crits or help:)

Spark
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    I like it ;)

The Legs/feet/hooves are pretty barren though. I say yes to the 'ankle jewelery?' in the concept.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent update, this is a huge improvement from your initial sculpt

The only crit I can provide is that while I think the placement of the skulls at the top is great, they are different scales, with the ones on the sides being larger. Those larger skulls kind of throw off the overall scale of the character and make him feel smaller. If they were all about the same size of the top center one, I think he would feel much more massive. Also, I agree with coldkodiak that the lower legs could use a little something to achieve the same top quality level as the rest of the model. These are just small nitpicks, though

Great stuff in all, lovin' the triple tongue
  • meat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude, your kicking ass as always. Keep up the awesome work. Cant wait to see more.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gorgeous sculpt, really nice entry as per usual
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    HOLY CARPS!! I like the crotch shot the best-
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    totally awesome man, I think the back could use some more depth variation (large/medium forms)

the new horn tips rock too! props man!
  • FeralGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... it's fantastic... wonderful alien vibe completely creepy...like something from a brueghel painting turned up to 11
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Nice update Spark, I likey a lot.

I tell you what, after doing all the bones for my entry you deserve a whole bunch of respect for those alone, they are sooo time consuming lol. :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great sculpt, the linens you do are fantastic esp that loincloth. i like how the hooks on his collar/ yoke that hook around his horns seem like restraints tortured beasties are awesome. also all of the detailing you his face is beautifully rendered. my personal favorite detail would be the vein/skin ridge that runs along the front of his horn structures. your details like that really grant it a good touch of realistic function.

as for crits, i could realy do with a little less symmetry in the head reigon. i agree with foreverendering, that the skull placement would probably be the easiest way to resolve that.

excelent work!! watching for updates!

-Woog
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    really cool brett! love the unusual proportions, broad hips and narrow shoulders, also those big club like lumps on his elbows are really cool. If you're looking to squeeze out more asymmetry perhaps bony growths could cover his weapon arm or something?
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    fantastic stuff -- nice ... ehem ... detail behind the loincloth. lol :P

no crits from me, i am useless today. keep going :)
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to throw this gray scale version up from the front page, in case anyone wants to do a paintover for ideas:) Thanks!, I will comment back to those that commented when I post the final.

Spark

belail_hipoly_gray_wip.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Shweet, as mr. connery would say.

I think maybe the hoops on the wrists might fit the demon look better if they were attached directly to his skin maybe? I think at the moment with the straps they look a little like wrist watches.

And maybe changing one (or more) of the skulls into skulls of some other creatures (animal or alien perhaps) could help at a bit of variety and asymmetry.

Awesome pieces, I second woogity's statement on the loincloth too
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    nice dude! Big ol ball sacks on his elbows. :)
  • Influenza Virus
    really nice work so far i really like that you didn't go hard detail crazy on him like alot of people did. one thing is making me wonder... aren't those the same skulls you used from last years competition? i didn't see any progress on them or the bones on your guy and alot of it looks similar to some stuff on your entry from Dom War 3?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    it is really impressive. I find the spikes all over him and his 3 tongues to be a bit confusing and I loose the impact of his overall form or sillhouette, might just be me but I think it would be a stronger design with a few well placed spiky bits rather than so many as he currently has.
  • MoJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to try moving the legs in closer together and straighten them out some. the way they are now makes them look too short. the large skulls make him look like a small demon. not good if you are going for a demonlord.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    woah!
    looks just like on your concept, I LOVE IT.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hot stuff brett!

only thing that bothers me are his lowerlegs, they look too skinny for a beast like this!

if you ever have the time, i would love to hear how you build and sculpt cloth the way you do, it looks really cool!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say maybe scale down the skulls either side of his head, right now he only looks about 5.5 heads tall in comparison to them. I dont know if you actually want him huge, but thats just what I would like to see. I would still like to see more size in the lower half of the body like the other concept, and the head and torso kind of baring down on you. I really do like the idea of his waist being at about your eye level, and this fuckin badass demon head leaning over you.

I would do a paintover but we just moved to europe and I need another wall adaptor for my tablet. maybe on monday when i get into work.

Yea man its awesome, there is really a lot to work with here. Dont let all the crits get you down! Seriously, its a keeper.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm echoing the sentiments of Rens.

It could use bigger feet/ hooves. Thing dosen't look like it can balance itself.

Otherwise a really hot sculpt dude!!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    cloth sculpt tutorial, what what? yes please.

legs don't bother me too much, but they are close to being a little too small.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I think I am done with the hipoly, not because I am happy with it but due to the fact that I need to move on or I will miss this war. I took out the skulls due to the crits that it was hurting his size, and shrunk the skull on the totem to more human size. Also to help the back, I added a door to our world. As I picutre he is in control of hell and any who want to get out have to go through him. I will think up better lore for the final entry, and reworked the collar to have some use in holding up the door. Comments and critiques are always welcome, and thank you to those that have stopped by. And if anyone has any good ideas for color, I would love to hear it.

Final Hipoly:
    belail_hipoly_01.jpg
    belail_hipoly_02.jpg

Spark

Coldkodiak: Yeah I added some more detial to the legs, the ankle jewerly and additional size, but don't want to get to busy.
    Foreverendering: Fixed the scale of the skulls by nixing them, they were fighting the size like you were stating.
    Meat: Thanks Pete, preciate it, and looking forward to your final as well.
    55joe: Thanks man, I appreciate you stopping by.
    Konstruct: Hahah, thanks! I feel bad if I make them unicks (sp?)
    ThatDon: Thanks man, hopefully the addition of the hell gate door helps the back some.
    FeralGrin: Thanks for that compliment:)
    Malus: Yeah skulls can be a time consuming pain, but love them to much to not do them:) And I love the ones you did!
    Woogity: Thanks for the compliments on the cloth, been trying to get better at them. I would add more asymetry, but want to try and use the maps as much as possible, and think the demon lord would be close to perfect ( symetrical ) haha or pretending thats why:P
    Kite: Hey Andy, thanks for posting, and glad you are liking the proportions, I will try and see if I can get some asymetry in the skin, but like I was saying to woogity, I am pretty much being lazy:)
    R4pture3: Hahah thanks man
    Mongrelman: Yeah I was tempted to start diggin them into the skin, but trying to have it be more jewerly than a torture thing with this character, thanks for the input though.
    I_luv_pixels: Thanks Tony, Big Balls FTW
    Influenza Virus: Hey Influenza, they are new skulls, though I was using the same reference ( pictures and the skull I have here at home ) along with trying to create a realistic skull. I haven't been posting progression shots as much, as my time is more limited, but I will plan on doing a tutorial or walkthrough on my skulls/loincloth if people are interested after the war.
    Ged: Hey Ged, noted as I was starting to think it was getting to busy, I reduced the horns coming from his collar, and hope the texture can help reduce the complexity.
    Mojo: Cool thanks Joey, I took out the skulls and beefed up the lower half, so I hope that helps.
    Conte: Hahah, glad it is looking close, some changes from the concept but I think I came close.
    Rens: I beefed them up a bit, so let me know if that helps the design, and mostly been doing cloth where its just one sded polys....easier to control.
    Asmuel: Congrats on the move man, and new job! Preciate the input and anytime you want to do a paintover let me know:)
    Jox: Fixed I think:)
    R4pture3: Haha ok, after the war I will do some tutorials on loincloth:)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Killer sculpt man, can't wait to see this guy at game rez. :) Not only is the sculpt work on your demon awesome, but you have a really good eye for drapery...loving the way that loincloth looks.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuck that door is awesome. i was trying to come up with something like that for mine.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Crap, I am away a week and awesomeness floods the boards. Looking forward to seeing this textured and lit. Great work as always Spark.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuck yea man this is perfect. The scale is great now. hes gone from 5 feet tall to 20+.

The door looks a little flat, but the texture will probably make it pop. not much to critique here.

Awesome.

edit: lol at that upskirt shot. you always model the ballz! might need a bigger wang, that shit looks sad.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome decitions, the doors are an awesome conceptual addition now gogo lowpoly! cant wait to see what is planned for this in texture phase.

-Woog
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff, a bit disappointed how you integrated the gate of hell though, I'd make it much bigger and use those spikes on his back to support it, probably attached with huge chains, it needs more torn bodies on the doors too :) right now it looks like you took that design decision but since you're not sure about it you're trying to hide it, hence the small scale...it's the bloody gate of hell man !!! should be MASSIVE !!! all the other demons are supposed to go through it when it opens :)

keep it up my friend :) get started on the materials too !!! as I told you earlier, just start with common colors for each material, then start playing with different tones to balance everything and get the result you want :)
  • MoJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks much better, now he's a big ol' demon, :)
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    omg!!! very very cool. you inspire me man. you are gettin first.
    keep it up.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Think you're gonna get this bad boy done Spark?