Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DOM WAR IV - 2D MINI - WAR GENERAL PORTRAITS

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
dw_mini.jpg
THIS MINI-CHALLENGE HAS ENDED.

2D Challenge

It's time to gather up your creativity, pull together your talents, and get ready for a new kind of warm up competition in the Dominance War series - Mini Challenges! Although the theme is separate from the main epic event, world champion standings are assured for the best mini comp entries!

To commemorate a new class of competition, we will be using a modified theme from Dominance War I. So this year's first ever Concept Art mini topic is:
War General Portraits

The rules are simple - create a portrait of a leader capable of leading troops to victory! Your war general portrait can be from any time period and any race. As long as he/she/it looks like a war general, has the appropriate team war logo somewhere on the body/clothes, and has the appropriate team colors (green and black for Polycount), everything is good!

This challenge is here for those desiring to practice their art before the main event. So keep it easy, keep it quick, and keep it real.

You have 9 days (2 weekends plus 5 days) to finish with the following notes:

- Artists can only join 1 team for any event during Dominance War IV. If you start with polycount, you cannot enter another mini challenge or the main event with gameartisans or cgsociety.

- You are not required to enter all challenges. Pick the ones you like, and join.

- Posting your work in progress in this single thread is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY.

- You can only submit one "up to" 1000x1000 350k max final image. 200w x 1000h is fine. 999w x 500h is fine. This image must include your team logo, your War General's name, and your personal name and/or contact details.

- Only 1 entry per person. Do not create or try to create multiple entries with different user names.

- Final submissions are final. If you upload your final image 4 days before the deadline, do not ask us to change it. Make sure you are happy with your image before you submit it into the system.

- Public voting starts Thursday March 5th to March 8th to find each team's best 5. Each team’s best 5 entries then gather together into a single pool and a grand mini champion chosen and announced with all other Dominance War IV event champions in June.

Final Submission link for Polycount team Members:

- http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/join_polycount_2d.html

Final View Entries page for Polycount:

- http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/minis/view_entries_polycount_2d_1.html

Good Luck to all those who enter!

Replies

• Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAAHAHHAH this version is gone, will put one back in a couple hours.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Nice start buddy. Keep it up
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is getting no love... apparently people here like to work in this new-fangled "3-D" thing.

Well, allow me to try to add some excitement!

My rough sketch of my War General, with colour testing (very WIP):
    DW_GeneralPortrait_WIP.jpg

Isn't she pretty? :)

My next step is to stop being a lazy bum and gather lots of reference for her (Pity me, my google search will = "Old fat women" ;_; )
    After that, more detailing and then on to the photo realistic rendering!!

Any suggestions and comments will be very helpful at this stage, so please bring them on! :D
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good Rens, you been listening to some Flight of the Conchords lately? :)
    Good start Mezz, I think the cleavage is starting a bit high though. The gold's also more piss-yellow than gold-yellow

Think I'll join in on this one too, definitely need the practice
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No love indeed :(

Mezz,
    I always want to "render" my drawings in a photorealistic style.
    And what i notice when studieing a photo, is that there are hardly any lines.
    Its mainly build up out of planes and gradients. So to make the transition to photorealistic more easier for you, id suggest using less lines, and go with more thicker strokes.

lines and flats read totaly different from strokes and gradients. So mixing between those styles might be very hard. i notice that it will change shapes constantly, so getting those strokes in early might save you alot of frustration.

I was thinking of the queen from final fantasy 9,
    think she might need a double chin, like she's a really wealthy pig. (painters from around 1800 also painted women with more curvers to show wealth)
    Look it up, "queen barhne" might give you an idea or two. Atleast make her more evil! she looks a bit too much like an english madam going on a hunt ;)

Good luck, and kick some ass!

Jaco, thanks man! its pretty far out indeed ;)
    Listening to it at least once a day, it just keeps me happy. (she's so hot.. she's like a curry!)
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Jeeze. 2d got the better deal this round. I'm debating skipping the 3d in favor of just doing 2d. :\
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Instant win Tumerboy!

Nice start pestibug, like his head, are you sure "portrait" doesn't mean you're only supposed to make a bust-type presentation? Or is drawing the full character good too?
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showpost.php?p=98826&postcount=65

A link that says half, full body or bust are all fine :D

(bottom of the post)

and thanks :D
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    It is a little unfortunate that this thread isn't recieving much love, but I guess we've always been more of a 3D orientated forum.
    Awesome to see you in this thread, Rens. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Oh and why is jouste and Tully missing from here?
    Good luck, everyone.

-caseyjones
  • Wicked-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will be interesting, I'm in!

Just let me boot up the old laptop here and I'll get started....
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    interresting topic, I hope we can push something on the polycount front - Good luck everyone!
    sooo, I started today with some sketches, some of them are generals nonos, but I need to get things sometimes on canvas...
    firstsketches.jpg
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Those look great xasdfjfgh!

I especially like the bottom left and bottom right ones. Look forward to seeing more!
  • Loch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, here are the ideas I have been working on. I think I am going with the raven feathered one. I have worked up a basic color comp for the idea, I am thinking about going over the pose and coming up with somethig more dynamic.

domWar_concept1.jpg
    domWar_concept2.jpg
    domWar_concept3.jpgdomWar_concept3v1.jpg
  • Wicked-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start to everyone so far...
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeh sweet stuff xysdf! Lower right is super cool.
    Here's my basic idea, a blind general with a psionic amplifier dog thing.

thumb-001.jpg

I need to take the time to really design this guy, he's looking really generic at the moment.
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Some great starts in here guys!
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, change of plans, now going for something a bit different:

dwmini004.jpg

Really cool stuff here guys, lets show who's boss!
  • Toastage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there. This would be my first post. I've been watching the dominance war thing going on for the last few years and kept meaning to enter but never really got around to it. This mini comp thing looks pretty cool so figured I'd give it a whirl :)

robotGeneral.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Casey :D

Stef, the reflection in the helmet is just.. $#%# sweet!
    I think i like nr.1 best, looks a bit medieval, leader of a hidden army. He looks calm and knows what he's doing.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Here my start for the challenge.
    some roughs and directions.

crobs_funshark.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    just going with the first idea that comes into my head

wargeneral1.jpg

Im wearing my greentooth tshirt today for the first time ever haha
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the crustacean Aztec redesign of my general.. I wanna try for a cheesy staged portrait, like the spirit of the brief seems to let on.

DW4Mini-002.jpg
    Having contrast issues with my home monitor...damn.
  • tastyrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tastyrice polycounter lvl 12
    Didn't realize this thread has been up here at polycount. Have been posting all my WIP over at GA.

photobucketupload.jpg
    photobucket2.jpg
    WarGeneralColor.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Here's the crustacean Aztec redesign of my general.. I wanna try for a cheesy staged portrait, like the spirit of the brief seems to let on.

DW4Mini-002.jpg
    Having contrast issues with my home monitor...damn.

amadeus001.jpg

LOL I like his little lap worm.
  • tastyrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tastyrice polycounter lvl 12
    Worked on painting the fish head and a few minor details on the face.

WarGeneralColor2.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I really like the sketch tastyrice but I think those airbrushes are a bit too soft and the sketches shapes are getting a bit lost. I know its just the start but thought I might as well say. Anyway heres mine so far, gonna do a detail pass next I think

wargeneral2.jpg
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    wip2.jpg

quicky sketchies...

It's hard to move away from the typical human idea we have of a general, mainly tough looking males chiseled out of stone.

I tried to start with that on the bottom left, and move away and keep every design... punctual against any of the other designs.
    Good guys on top, bad guys on bottom. Person farthest from would be the arch nemesis of the opposite character. Persons closest to the other are friendly. But It's all very subjective... I dunno. None of these have sold me yet, so I'm going to work on my 3d entry for a day then come back when I'm freshed..

snowfly, that design is pretty rocking. You might think about actually making the crown piece bigger, not unlike that Amadeus poster. OR at least give it some more oomph, but I would also keep it at least somewhat practically sized, unless it starts to just rock too much.

the first design is pretty cool too. I like the color scheme better than the new one anyways.
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    Nice stuff guys! snowfly your first one I think can turn out pretty nice! maybe have a fresh eye once more over it...

moving on on my entry... I dont want to go fancy with finding the right design, etc. , I liked the lower right one of my first post so today studied some portraits I liked, I placed him in light for it & its a blockout - next I want to think about design and composition elements. hope this gets done then tomorrow because for color I need to study some stuff before...
    general_02.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW!
    Some seriously amazing stuff here, everyone! Its good to see that our 2D crew are getting their game on and fighting the good fight.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, lots of amazing stuff going on everyone, keep it up!! :D

Ok... so seeing more people's work... is making me rethink things.
    Thanks a lot for the advice, Rens. I like throwing down a sketch first to see where I'm going, since I've grown used to line art, but I think you make a very good point. So, my next step is to basically start over using that technique :) And Queen Brahne... yeah, I more or less am going for that kinda look, but I hadn't thought of her so thanks I'll take a close look at her :)

Next post... hope to see more awesome from me! And if its not, feel free to slap me until its looking a shade of the awesome of others posted here. ^.^

Good luck to all us 2-Ders! :D
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha Tumerboy!

xysdf - glad you went with that bust! i like the classical nobleman portrait feel you're going for, and the costuming...he's definitely giving off the right vibe :)

kodiak - always love seeing your studies man. i sort of agree that none of these are clicking just yet, although by themselves they're all pretty sick. you're a storyteller, so maybe zero in on the type of message you want your picture to deliver visually while you're away from the 2D? Sometimes I find that stepping back and thinking about the concept more effective than concept by multiple choice, although that's helpful too to get the ball rolling. :)

Thanks for the tips, I'm seriously considering enlarging the hat.

Mezz - However you choose to do the construction stage try not to rush it, since little flaws in the drawing seem to make themselves more apparent as you paint. You've got pretty unique taste so I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Good luck!

My girlfriend dug up some old Brom books and we spent the whole afternoon going through em, now I've got the bug to do something Brom-like:
    DW4Mini-004.jpg
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount is going for the win on this one! As we should! :D

It's very cool to see different takes on the same topic (albeit it being a bit broad ofc) very inspiring and motivating.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like the pose/composition xysdf
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Awesome stuff so far!

Im at a bit of a crossroads D: - I either wanna do something thats straight up cool or something with a twist.

First idea being a classical painting but as a hologram... second idea im not sure on but something that naturally fits the colours - so zombie / fantasy, choices choices.

0221WarGenerals.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think Im done, unless theres any crits?? I just used this as a warmup so I just had fun and drew the first thing that came into my head.
    hologram portrait sounds interesting jackwhat, I like the direction your taking snowfly, a bit of gooee specular would be really cool on that piece.

wargeneral4.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged, i would realy suggest playling with the proportions. Grab the liquify tool and start playing?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Rens wrote: »
    Ged, i would realy suggest playling with the proportions. Grab the liquify tool and start playing?

hmm I already did that when I first started the piece, is there something about the proportions that you would like to see changed?
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its hard to say, there is something very funky about him

i did a one min liquify to see what direction you can take

gedtest.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Ged I like what you have done your character but I agree with Rens that there are just some things about his proportions that are strange. He seems to be very wide in comparison to his head, and he also dosn't seem to have a neck. I tried to do a basic paint over to maybe show you a slightly altered body structure. I squased the body inwards a bit. raised and enlarged the head, added some neck, and lowered the shoulder pad on the left to break the silhouet from merging with the collar. Hope this helps a bit. gedtestedit.jpg
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    This is looking awesome Snowfly :) Excellent quality overall !
  • Beluosus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beluosus polycounter lvl 17
    Man, I haven't been around here since last Dominance war. But here I am again! And I could probably use the warm up, so here's some doodles of where I think I'm going. I'm still working on his uniform. Any advice, suggestions, criticisms, go ahead and belt them out for me! I'm gonna get started on my photoshop comp today. :)

General-Flibbosh.jpg
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    I made a first draft. I still need to add some blacks, but I'm very careful. I use real media (colored pencil).

Wargeneral.jpg
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About time you joined in the fight, Jackwhat :D
    Snowfly and xysdf <3
    Everyone is doing amazing work, keep it up.

-caseyjones
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly, i would go with your first concept, thats fuckn win all the way!

toast! very nice lighting/mood going on! strong pose, looks awesome :)
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    xysdf: that is really sexy lookin forward to this :)

snowfly and everyone else great work :D lovin whats in here!

i started playin with ideas... NOT going to stay with this.. but i thought i would post any sketches i do...

poopa.jpg
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 17
    oh man, snowfly, thats looking sick. i love the feel of your latest post.

ok, i figure who better to lead us into battle, then general ghostface. if you know him than this isnt too far off from his actual presense.
    generalghostfaceweb.jpg
    i still have some plans for it, but this is the start
    enjoy, i love whats coming out of these so far
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    thanksgavin.jpg

Oh Gavin. I miss you!