Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Not sure what you mean by bevel the inside?

You don't need those edge loops to run all the way down the side either.

dnQR1.png

From there I just selected the edge faces, beveled inwards, shifted inwards. Then if you want you can also bevel the other edges to make them smoother.
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, marty i made very rough example just to show you. this is a cylinder with 64 sides. On top of that cylinder use cut tool with vertex snap after that some hand tweaking...:)
    http://i49.tinypic.com/28hq0t3.jpg
    and one more... nothing special simply move vertexes how you like it then extrude add support edges and thats it. http://i46.tinypic.com/10zqz61.jpg

That is perfect, thank-you :)
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Hi all! Could someone please give me some hints how to tackle the shape of this armored vehicle?
    There are basicly 3 problems that i'm struggling with:

1. actualy triangular armor plates. How to incorporate them in all quads subdiv mesh with nice and clean topology?
    2. the sides bend smoothly towards the front of the vehicle. How to avoid that support loops for the top shapes disrupt the smooth bend shape?
    3. the vehicle is actualy asymetric. there are more and different shaped details on the opposite site which gives me a bit of a headache because it makes the mesh even more complex

What i've already tried is to cut it into different pieces to keep the topo less complex but then the problem with the triangular plates and smooth bend sides remains and tweaking to make everything fit becomes tedious.

Dd85G.jpg

To give you an idea of what's on the opposite side:

ryEQR.jpg
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    All quads is a guideline, not a strict requirement. You can use a triangle and give it support loops to make this shape work.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    More curvature on ... curved surfaces and some bevels should do it.
    7jWy8.jpg
    nbNCQ.jpg
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks! That looks good.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    hey guys, I am having trouble with this big blocky chamfered shape on top of the main engine:

http://imageshack.us/a/img641/8381/hmmyg.jpg
    hmmyg.jpg

I tried comforming a plane on the rounded shape and than extruding polygons but it gave me errors when subdividing. Help help :)
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can start from a cilinder, it's really easy.You can slice the sides with a plane and work from there.Keep em planar to avoid pinching.
    P7c77.png
    lNTJN.png
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    will try it out first thing in the morning, thanks!

1 question though: could you explain how you "slice" the geometry ? I never used such a function before (in 3ds Max).
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Search for slice plane tool in graphite mod tools (geom tab) or the modifier slice.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Bek wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by bevel the inside?

You don't need those edge loops to run all the way down the side either.

-snippers-

From there I just selected the edge faces, beveled inwards, shifted inwards. Then if you want you can also bevel the other edges to make them smoother.

Thank you very much! I was getting stuck on figuring out a way for the edge loops to not run all the way down the sides.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @respawnrt

damnit, I am still stuck and it is frustrating me to the max. I figured out how the slice modifier works but I still can't get the shape I want.

this is the closest I get from working of a cylinder :(

damn.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, upload that max file with the shape.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qu3sD.png
    I only made the ending, you need to make all the shape :).
    Btw you should add more divisions to the cilinder from which you made it.
    fF82H.png
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    So I'm following Millenia's excellent shotgun tutorial, but with two small differences: I'm using modo not max and I'm making a TOZ-120 instead of the m37.

I've done 90% of the high poly but I'm stuck on this one piece, the front wooden grip:

toz1.jpg

I'm confused as to how I can get the inset area and have it cleanly taper down at the front. It seems like it'd be easier to sculpt and retopo a shape like this but I need to learn subD properly and not be lazy.

My dismal attempt:
    5U7qP5U7qP.png

So any advice on how you'd go about making a shape like that? I've tried from a plane/box and from the pen tool. If you need more references pictures, there an album here and a forum thread here. I'd hate to have to compromise on this shape but it's the only thing I'm stuck on, so I don't want to a disproportionate amount of time on it.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    @Bek
    Start with a cube and get the main shape
    add the curve on the bottom
    bevel the back and front
    last add the cuts on the bottom

I've been on the computer all day... if this doesn't make much sense, I'll speed modeled it later and upload a vid.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    A vid would be champion but only do it if you have the time :P Trying what you suggested now (And it's easier if I ignore the indented parts for now as well), but what do you mean by bevel the back and front? Just bevel it out and down slightly each time so it subD's to a smooth end?

Kinda like this? : u3SNo.png

Looking at the different reference pictures, it seems like one has an actual curve on the bottom of the grip, whereas the other remains fairly square. Strange. Even the one on the manufacturers page seems slightly different: http://www.tulatoz.ru/en/production/detail.php?ID=100&SECTION_ID=7

vs http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/MBBlaster_2009/Toz-120-12-1E/Toz-120-12-1E010.jpg
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I made something similar to that sharp edged crevices.At first make the profile of the crevice at the bottom and solid drill it from the main shape.You'll need a lot of geometry.And then clean up the geometry around the drilled edge.I'd use lots of geometry when doubt.Using a box with a lot of edge slices could be a better starting point.Move the vertices by hand to get curvy shapes in the middle.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bek

Yeah, ignore the indents for now. By bevel, I mean the tapering/ slop on the back part. Do all of this first then cut in the indents and the half circle located on the back bottom. Sorry I didn't end up having time to make a video:(
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    No man that's fine, I just need to keep hacking at it until it clicks, recording/uploading a vid is well above and beyond the call of duty :P
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    M8_0020_2%20copy.jpg

Sorry, I am pretty newb, I don't know how to pull this off >_<
  • nnq2603
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nnq2603 polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, I want to ask about problem - uneven smooth in curve part of object:
    4b33019e46beb8bb03c747fb055422c8_50362212.flower02.pngfb1b0f864b645055c15690916d497fa2_50362217.flower03.pngcaef6852a7612fbd03f5f6abdd6745e5_50362220.flower03.png6e18d487a2dabf05b230441c30bfb785_50362224.flower04.png070a0b0421727e462174fd07d6376416_50362227.flowersub01.png
    27124055.png

Is this flower-shape thing start incorrectly from beginning cage? Or I use wrong edge flows where the holes appears in the curve surface?... Thanks for reading.
  • HyperThermal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct thread for this question. How should I go about modeling and rigging a scarf? I am trying to model it so that it can move around without too much deformation. And the entire length of the scarf will be used for animation, so I need to know how to set up set driven keys to have it switch between being full length and wrapped up.
  • nnq2603
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hhm? 2 images disappeared? Without knowing which is missing I gonna upload all images above in another photohosting with red mark on them. Maybe my local hosting only do well for viewers from my country.

Here,

flower05.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nnq2603: Just model it like the one on the right.

The one on the left isn't actually circular, its modeled sqaure-ish so you're not going to get circular smoothing on it for obvious reasons. Its seems like you know exactly how to model what you want(right example) so just do that.
  • nnq2603
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really, I just figure about that example after I (submit question and) re-model it 4th time with the feeling that what I try not a proper sub-d, looks like it's a lot of poly from begining, quite a brute force cheating method.. but you state that, so I admit it's another way I can get used to, thanks EarthQuake.
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

still struggling with this part:
    M8_0020_2%20copy.jpg

This is what I got now, it's ugly but I am still learning:
    aug_help01.JPG

This gives me really baad smoothing and pinching:
    aug_help01_1.JPG
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    You could probably add a support edge at the top. Should reduce the pinching. Maybe something like this? It's hard when you don't have the whole model, so someone else is gonna have to help you with the parts in circles.

64283213.jpg
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Brygelsmack, thanks a lot for your help. Yeah I already tried out what you painted over, the problem is, that the support loop on the top creates an unwantedly hard edge as well as the two continuous loops on the side.. :/
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Try this
    (red are the loops you have to make, green is the ones that are gone (ye I know colors don't make sense).

where I drew a circle, make sure to keep the edge widths even, now every edge in that square has another width.

If that doesn't work you will just have to try and space out the loop and/or push it back in a bit untill you have your curve again.
    That's basicly the best you are gonna be able to do when you haven't planned ahead ahead for it.

24845623.jpg
  • PVJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PVJ
    How should i terminate these loops to prevent pinching? The object is cylindrical.

r17rw.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    if you bend after you subdivide, something flat like this wont matter. Why not just try it? Remember to put the bend modifier over the turbosmooth.
  • PVJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PVJ
    Computron wrote: »
    if you bend after you subdivide, something flat like this wont matter. Why not just try it? Remember to put the bend modifier over the turbosmooth.

This worked out really well, thanks for the tip.
  • sasuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brick Top wrote: »
    This is NOT my work so all credits go to the author (I can't remember where I found it so don't know who made it either). But maybe it can help...

http://users.telenet.be/kansloos/detail.jpg

No offence, in my opinion i think this is waste of time.
    I won't even bother modeling these. If i want to save time and make a normal map out of these i just use PS and nDo2...
  • purehilarity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purehilarity polycounter lvl 6
    024.jpgae685831-3d4f-4af3-ad12-b72bca261a3dLarger.jpg

Is this a lot of floating Geo? I may need to make one of these and am trying to make sense of this guy's model. Those large discs on the side look like they're embedded but no edges going to them so must be floating no? same with little screws and such.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    024.jpgae685831-3d4f-4af3-ad12-b72bca261a3dLarger.jpg

Is this a lot of floating Geo? I may need to make one of these and am trying to make sense of this guy's model. Those large discs on the side look like they're embedded but no edges going to them so must be floating no? same with little screws and such.

Yea, they are floating geo. :)
  • purehilarity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    009.jpgac91de35-138e-4fdd-bcd3-cd1ec68b511cLarger.jpg

damn it looks so convincing rendered... does that always work that well??

there's also something fishy about that wireframe I don't get.... like look at the rim of the scope, there's spots where it's really curved with no edges... is that just floating verts that never got edges?? I guess if he isn't smoothing he can get away with it? clearly this isn't a game model i realize.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    009.jpgac91de35-138e-4fdd-bcd3-cd1ec68b511cLarger.jpg

damn it looks so convincing rendered... does that always work that well??

there's also something fishy about that wireframe I don't get.... like look at the rim of the scope, there's spots where it's really curved with no edges... is that just floating verts that never got edges?? I guess if he isn't smoothing he can get away with it? clearly this isn't a game model i realize.

Looks like some sort of nurbs/boolean stuff going on, not floating geo.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Do people ever bake normals off of NURBS models? I figure that making the model in NURBs would take far longer than a typical sub-d hardsurface workflow, but if you got the NURBs already, and the RTT system supports them (not sure if it does), then why not? Otherwise, from what I have seen, triangulating the nurbs before baking would probably look pretty bad since I haven't seen a NURBs->Poly model convert without problems.
  • purehilarity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your goal is video game, then it will have to be a polygon anyway, so you'll have to convert it. If you're transferring a nurbs' details to a polygon that could work but you'd have to still create a polygonal low poly. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this?
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like a model thats just meant for rendering or something as the topology is all over the place. Some pieces have control edges and smoothed edged while that main piece with the two booleans is just left sharp.
    Definitely not useful for baking.
  • sasuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any one knows how to model this? i think its something like twisted cylinder....

SV1.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    It depends what package you are using. I know 3DS max has a twist modifier, but I don't know anything beyond that. In Maya you can use a twist deformer under the animation tab, or extrude along a twisted curve. Depending on what you need your final result to look like you could also use the helix primitive.
  • alexdubbeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    yep just a simple helix and on top of that extrude modifier and then few hand tweaks. :)
  • sasuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BARDLER, alexdubbeat

I forgot about Create deformer and Twist. Thanks guys for reminding me :D

Untitled.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    if it's in max:

Make a cylinder, add a good amount of heigt segments.
    Apply twist modifier, twist untill satisfied.

And then just tweak as needed (in your case, make the "edges" pinch a bit)

edit: nevermind, didn't see all the posts that were added since I didn' see that I wasn't on the last page ><
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Thought it may help some people. I made a pistol cylinder. Nothing fancy but I think it's a good example of "don't hesitate to add more geo if you need it" :

Gun_Cylinder.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    GoSsS wrote: »
    Thought it may help some people. I made a pistol cylinder. Nothing fancy but I think it's a good example of "don't hesitate to add more geo if you need it" :

http://gaetm.free.fr/3d/2012/gun/Gun_Cylinder.jpg

your edge widths are a little inconsistent but that's probably fixable.
    Also pistol = chamber fixed to barrel, revolver != pistol :)
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    opplanet-pelican-storm-case-hard-gun-case-olive-im3300-blk.jpg

Does anyone happen to own one of these, or something similar? I'm having trouble finding pictures of the back side (hinges). Thanks:)