Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist wrote: »
    opplanet-pelican-storm-case-hard-gun-case-olive-im3300-blk.jpg

Does anyone happen to own one of these, or something similar? I'm having trouble finding pictures of the back side (hinges). Thanks:)

Try searching for "pelican case"

https://www.google.com/search?q=pelican+case&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=qyWwUNPrFeOM2gWF54GoBA&biw=1920&bih=1087&sei=ryWwUNbrCKWl2AXgz4GIBg
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    thank you... found some.
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if this is difficult enough to ask here, but I figure I won't make a thread for something so minimal.

I am trying to model this sign out for a lowpoly object, I wan't to chamfer the edges, but I am not sure on the poper topolgy that will allow me to do that, while not making triangles, and not adding more polygons than needed.

Here is the problem.
    y8wZz.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Easiest way to do that sign would be this: Draw out a cube over the largest rectangle (top left corner to bottom right corner where the red dot by the N is saloon is). Cut vertically down on both sides and extrude out the second rectangle shape. Now make a cut vertically down the middle, move the bottom edges out and bevel them for the rounded area. Then clean up topology.

Would be easier to use SubD than bevelling too I imagine?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You are thinking to hard into it Taco, that is a really simple shape.
    example1n.jpg
    I did it similar to how Bek described it. If you need to sub-d the model then add your support loops, if you need a low poly then collapse all those edge running down the middle.
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys. The image I posted previously was just one of the routes I tried to take to make the shape have good topology for the LP.

Here is my HP, and a low poly outlining what I can't really wrap my head around .
    iQSoI.jpg

What I am really unsure of is, if I (from top edge to lowest) chamfer this one, I have nothing that connects them to anything , is this acceptable for a LP? Or will I run into issues inside UDK? The next edge I can chamfer the edge, but then I get this ugly Ngon. Finally the lowest edge I can chamfer this + the support loops, but then I get another ugly Ngon and more polygons which I don't want or need.

Basically I want to chamfer these edges for the lowpoly not to have 90 degree edges/look pointed. I also want to chamfer so I don't have to break ever 90 degree angle when I unwrap it. Should I just bite, and break every 90 degree during the unwrap? Or is there a way to chamfer the edges and not get crappy topology.

Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate the help . Thanks.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well you have to clean it up after you build your shape. I gave you two examples, one with the least amount of poly's and one with even topology.
    example2s.jpg
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys,

I need help yet again. I am always having problems with curved surfaced having other stuff extruded out. I know mostly the problem is MOAR GEO, I already added more geometry but I still can't figure out how to model that nice and clean and I need help!

I want to model this are of my current steyr aug model:

aug_help03.JPG

This is how I started:

aug_help03_1.JPG

I already did some tryouts but nothing seems to work and I always get ugly pinching and smoothing errors.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a better picture? I can't really see what is going on in there.
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe this picture is better:

S3010039.jpg
  • TicoTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot BARDLER, and Bek. I got it. I think I was defiantly over thinking it like you had mentioned.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa, I am not sure what part you modeled already but it might be best to start over. Get the big shapes with separate geometry, then use that as a proxy to model over. You are probably going to have to use a combination of patching in geometry and booleans to build it. It might just take a lot of trial and error to figure it out.
  • Tenshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tenshi polycounter lvl 13
    Hi guys, i begging to model this simple sound system, but i would like to work all in Sub-D, so i recently did the subwoofer, less the back which has a lot of tiny things.(i'll do soon) but then i did the small speaker, and i tried to minimize the polycount, and encounter that has to many unnecessary polygons and loops, because the back has holes on it. Hope you guys give me some advices to customize this thing, without using bevel and stuff like that.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    if you are modelling with Subd, your polycount doesn't matter.
    (obviously, don't overdo it, putting 3 subdivisions on a very tiny screw that is a 100 times on your object wouldn't be to smart).

If I am reading your post correctly, what you are trying to do is basicly a waste of time.
  • Tenshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joeriv, thanks. I'm not planning for example do the screws inside the main box model, all those are gonna be separated from the speakers and all the things i can do that way, too.
    But in the speakers that holes i model, obviously are need for the sake of the model itself; i just wanted to know if there's a way to minimize the polycount connecting the edges in another way to obtain the same result and that is not necessary to see those loops on the front of the speaker which do nothing really. But i understand what your saying, thank you.
    (sorry for my english)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Tenshi, something you should always ask yourself, do I really need to have it as one mesh? Because its not necessary and you can save yourself so much headache by making it into separate objects, such as the box and the front panel.

So if I was you, I would just separate the front part as a separate mesh of its own, then you only have to worry about making the hole in the front of the box. This way you also gets more freedom with your loops, and it will also make it easier to UV unwrap it (if you don't want to make a lowpoly for it).
  • Tenshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed wrote: »
    Tenshi, something you should always ask yourself, do I really need to have it as one mesh? Because its not necessary and you can save yourself so much headache by making it into separate objects, such as the box and the front panel.

So if I was you, I would just separate the front part as a separate mesh of its own, then you only have to worry about making the hole in the front of the box. This way you also gets more freedom with your loops, and it will also make it easier to UV unwrap it (if you don't want to make a lowpoly for it).

Yes i noticed that, thanks.
    But there are parts in this model i could do that; the front for example, all the pieces i have are separated, the little holes, the frame,; look at the picture i attached; as you can see the base box is something i can't separate for the sake of having those round edges and continuity in the mesh.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might misunderstand you, but this is what I meant, detach the green front so you didn't need those edges:
    parlantes-genius-csubwoofer-paintover.jpg

No need for those loops for example. Also, triangles doesn't really do any damage if the are on a flat surface, because the main issue with triangles in subd, is that they often introduce pinching, but it shouldn't happen as much on flat surfaces, so you could collapse some of the edges around the loops, if you really need to trim down you highpoly mesh:

parlantes-genius-csubwoofer-wirepaintover.jpg
  • Tenshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrGreed, thank you for the advices. About the subwoofer, i had that part detach already(is just that in the picture you can't see), the loops there in fact are my bad, because i had holes inside too, i model this thinking the wrong way like it was a real piece with all the details interior/exterior, but as you mention before, that's something i would not see most of the time on the camera, so i'll fix that soon.
    About the triangles thank you! :)
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks I am having problems extruding out the two clickwheels it marked in red. I don't know how to do it in a clean way. My cylinder of the scope is cut in half but as a full cylinder it has 34 sides. Did I start out with too many sides? How can the extrusion be done in a nice clean way?

scope.JPG
    aug_help04.JPG

Thanks in advance!
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    You don't need to do any extrusion, get a cilider wit fitting edges for the base and boolean it.Then add support edges.
    QfUg4.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Been so long since ive been in the gun game, don't remember that much

buttttt I managed to do this once before and have been spending the last 2 hours trying to figure it out.. I need the edge loops on the slide hook things but they deform the part above it

uITDP.png

respawn, how do you get that shading in blender?

edit: lol i figured it out. The topology wasnt that wrong other than those triangles but it was the way I went about making it, oh the joys of learning blender
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Look into prefences/system En0bL.png?1
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    okno wrote: »
    More Geo™

moregeo.jpg

How do you just 'add more geo'? Remake the entire thing? Is there a way to add more edges to a cylinder after its already editable and not be a loop cut?
  • gHys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gHys polycounter lvl 5
    just to conform how do you add more geo usualy?

i personally make a cilinder or other primitive with enough loops to hold and then i bridge to the rest of the model and on plain surface i make t-junction or ngone
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    gHys wrote: »
    just to conform how do you add more geo usualy?

i personally make a cilinder or other primitive with enough loops to hold and then i bridge to the rest of the model and on plain surface i make t-junction or ngone

So for example: Instead of adding an 8 sided cylinder/circle, add a 12 or 32 sided cylinder or circle which will have far more naturally occurring support edges. You can add more geo in, however I wouldn't advise doing it on complex curved surfaces - generally pre-plan what it is you're going to build and recognize what it is you're going to need to do to achieve that target.
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To quote some Scrubs here "Everything comes down to p... MOAR GEO" :D
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the question was more, how do you add more geo to an already created part of the model? Where its not just a straight cylinder.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    not sure about blender, but on max with swift loop and maya with insert edge loop you can have it try and maintain the curvature when adding edge loops.

but normally if i need more geo, i jsut remake that section, with a primitive that has what i need.
  • hamzaaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What passerby said. Swiftloop in Max is great tool for that but most of the time it doesn't work out 100% or simply doesn't work correctly. Mostly such parts have to be redone. Sad but true, I experience that quiet often tbh xD
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    also dragging our spline around hte curve of the geo, and using it as a snapping point, when adding additional edge loops works great too.

really easy in maya, just constrain to one axis ,and hold C and drag it onto the curve.
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a topology problem... How can I change the half circle shape at the end of the sphere? It doesn't really look that good when you apply subsurf. I realise that I could just cut the sphere in half the other way so that the circular "end" area would be on top but that's not possible in this case, I need to cut it exactly like you see in the pictures

WpE9W.jpg
    ltXKd.jpg

so, anyone got any sphere-topology tricks up their sleeves? I could really use some help
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mike670 polycounter lvl 11
    This might work for you, take a box, sub-d it until it's a sphere and cut the bottom off.
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, but no I'm afraid that won't work, I need the half-circle shape on one side of the sphere
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying using an icosphere or cube - (Cube only) add a subd modifier (1 level) - apply it and go into edit mode - delete half the mesh - select each edge loop and add a spherize modifier - mirror mesh and weld together - add subd modifier and you now have an all quad sphere.
    Or try using a sphere with less loops - try an 8 sided sphere and terminate the ends in quads for example...
    Let the subd do the work for you :P
    Sphere connect:
    1xNDX
    All:
    1xNFL
    And with a bit of tweaking with the scale button:
    1xNXv
    Voila!
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    struggling with this shape, especially the curved areas on the top, any ideas how to tackle this?
    PrIz1.jpg
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doublepost connection is playing up =_=
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I did this in like 3 minutes so it's not great but it may help. The trick is not to be too anal about your topology or triangles - mash in the shape AND THEN work cleaning up the mesh. Atleast that's how I would go about it.
    M14w.png
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks cookedpeanut, I will try the method you suggested and try and get some nice results with it. I tend to avoid tris like the devil and usually end up taking a long time on simple forms just to get it all quads, I'll try how you suggested :)

ps no chance you have an unsmoothed version of that mesh? cant quite see the edge flow on the side
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's one of those things, if it looks good then job done...
    When I say use triangles, obviously use them within reason - placing them everywhere and anywhere won't get you far and will just complicate things.
    However sometimes they can't be avoided, so instead of fighting them, work with them - add supporting edges, shift edge loops around and add in the necessary topology to work around them.

I'm afraid I scrapped the file after I made the example, sorry - I did it quickly and didn't think to remove the modifier...
    But it really isn't hard, do the top section and then work your way down by extruding out the edges.
    Use a cut tool to add in some custom edge loops and play around with the form.

And remember - always use MORE GEO!
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    when can we we a more geo tshirt
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    ALWAYS ADD MORE GEO EVERY TIME EVER DAY SMOKE MORE GEO EVERY DAY

Or one of these on a shirt.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    hey guys looking for some quick help. I remember this technique with the bend modifier to easily create cylindrical detail but I don't remember how to cap it.

Z64vD.jpg

edit: after some collaboration I came to a solution! also thanks to alexcatmastersupreme.

u7zrc.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Deforges wrote: »
    hey guys looking for some quick help. I remember this technique with the bend modifier to easily create cylindrical detail but I don't remember how to cap it.

Z64vD.jpg

edit: after some collaboration I came to a solution! also thanks to alexcatmastersupreme.

u7zrc.jpg

I think it's time I change my name to something less absurd. Not too much though, and you're welcome.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    There's a Cap Holes modifier as well (though I don't fully remember what it does right now)
  • Mr. Brightside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Brightside polycounter lvl 8
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    How do i model this shape?Is it splines right?
  • desktoppirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    desktoppirate polycounter lvl 11
    I really need help with this, it looks ok at the moment, but I know there must be a much cleaner way of doing this as there are quite a few issues. The scale is massively off from the refrence so I need to re-do it anyway. I basically booleaned in some cylinders and tried to clean up as best I could.

pb15V.jpg

GTVAw.jpg
  • Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys! (and gals) :)

I've just started with serious sub-d and have come upon a problem best described by a picture:

mantasub.png?w=2a9c4fa3
    I'd like the edges in red and the ones on the other side to smooth nicely, but they just stay sharp. :(

thank you for your help
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 13
    desktoppirate
    i would say off hand that you need more geo going lonways around the object.. I would also post a smooth version so we can see where its causing you problems after smoothing