Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Ok here you go. Keep in mind that you allways want your geo to be evenly spaced on curves surfaces. Generally the squarer/more even your polys are the easier it is to get a smooth surface.
    hole_topology.jpg
  • Godo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    Looking for some advice:
    Trying to model up a barrel jacket for a Browning 1919.
    I've tried the method described in Grant Warwick's "Inorganic Modeling" videos on Area, but the holes he models in a fairly small. I've also tried cutting in the holes on a plane and then bending it, but had the same result.

As you can see below I've got some pulling where the geo is higher it wants to taper up rather than be a flat surface. It also (and more critically) creates some visible lines which I've marked in pink. Finally there is a tiny bit of pinching where some edges meet together.
    1919trouble01.gif
    1919trouble02.gif1919trouble03.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Godo, what about reading the post riiiiiiiiiight above yours ?
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Godo wrote: »
    Looking for some advice:
    I've also tried cutting in the holes on a plane and then bending it, but had the same result.

Apply a turbosmooth first then put the bend modifier on top so you won't get any creasing. If you do it the other way around, you'd surely get those funky creases. :)
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys great stuff here...

How would I go about arranging these fan blades in the turbine without having to manually place everyone one of them?

I've tried making "X" amount of them and using the bend modifier but it morph's the shape of the blades themselves.

Is there an easy way to do this?
    turbineorca.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    you could move the pivot of one fan blade, placed at the beginning of the depressed area, to the center of the object(more specifically the center of the round detail in the middle of the concept) then go ahead and experiment with "x" amount to dup....until you get it right.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    awesome gonna give that a go I'm using 3ds max btw forgot to mention that

-EDIT-

So after playing around with max for a bit more I was able to do it with the array tool
  • Godo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    boyluya wrote: »
    Apply a turbosmooth first then put the bend modifier on top so you won't get any creasing. If you do it the other way around, you'd surely get those funky creases. :)

Thanks dude. She's looking sweet:
    1919trouble04.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe cool that you got it to work Godo. When people say 'more polies' all over this thread that what they mean. For details spanning across smooth curved surface, you need the surface to have high density for it not to be deformed or pinched by details modelled in.
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spicypixel polycounter lvl 6
    THE 5 wrote: »
    NBLM:
    Thats kinda the same that r_fletch_r and SpeCter suggested, maybe it helps though.
    http://www.squirrelyjones.com/public/model.pdf

Reading through this and it seems to be a good method, one question though, how do you do the initial flattening of the chestplate?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    You could unwrap the Object which is in the form you want and then use a Script like UVW2XYZ , copy the outcome, revert back.Then you have one flat one and the desired form.

Method 2:

Start with a flat shape, copy it and bend it the way you want it.
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Spicypixel wrote: »
    Reading through this and it seems to be a good method, one question though, how do you do the initial flattening of the chestplate?

I UV-unwrap the shape and then use renderhjs' TexTools to view the UV layout in the 3D Vieport (there is a button for swapping those in Textools).
  • Dreamexpress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question,

Lets say i have created a cylinder with 8 edges.
    Now i add 4 more edges on every edge.
    How can i get this cylinder to be round again?
    I dont want to create a new cylinder with the same amount of edges and use it as a guide, because this wont work in all situations.
    Basicly what i want to know is what is the best way to get back a curve when you have added alot of edges without moving each individual vertex. doesnt have to be a cylinder.
    Surely there must be some trick to this?
    Soft selection could be good but it affect too many edges around on all sides.
    I am using 3dsmax 2010.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    There are scripts that do things similar to this but i'm not sure if you will get exact curvature like you would for a cylinder.

Most sub-d guys I know would just re-make it. If it has some crazy orientation then just cap the end and use auto grid on the cap to draw your new cylinder and then scale it.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, hopefully someone else will have some trick, but if it were me I would re-make it.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I have a question,

I dont want to create a new cylinder with the same amount of edges and use it as a guide, because this wont work in all situations.
    Basicly what i want to know is what is the best way to get back a curve when you have added alot of edges without moving each individual vertex. doesnt have to be a cylinder.
    I am using 3dsmax 2010.

There is a way in Wings3D. The circularise command. Just select the top and bottom edges, then press circularise and you have a circle. It can create circles from just about any edges that form a loop.
  • Dreamexpress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi: Thnx, this funtion is in 3dsmax too, in the loop tools.
    however it only works on fully closed loops so its no ideal sadly:(

jocose: Not what i wanted to hear you are right:( iam dreaming of the quick trick:) Hopefully someone have it.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I have a question,

I am using 3dsmax 2010.

If you have a simple cylinder, you can increase the number of edges arbitrarily, and then select the top and bottom cylinder caps and use the Graphite Modeling Tools "geopoly" command, which takes an n-gon and makes it a perfect n-gon, effectively giving you two circles on either cap. it doesn't work on ring selections though, only faces.

the Graphite Tool's Edge Flow connection tool is pretty good at adding new edges that approximate the curves rather nicely. It won't give you an absolutely perfect cylinder, but it will come pretty close.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Not Max, but normally I just use a smooth deform.
    cylinder_smooth.jpg
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Max can do this with spherify modifier if you select just the circle of verts you are wanting. Cos a 2d version of a sphere is a circle, right? :)
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Or have a look at Illusion Catasyst's Geo Edgeloop feature ;).
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Maya doesn't have a sphereify equivalent does it? Would make my life much easier.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Need help with this shape, im assuming it needs more geometry, but not sure how to go about it. I have attached the obj, i just need a square extrusion at the bottom, but no matter how i do it, i get seams in my geometry.

I think the geometry itself is laid out pretty badly but i don't know why. Sorry to be a bit vague, hard to explain but the obj will show.

OBJ: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YQYTB7NI

PICTURE:

squareproblem.jpg

Thanks a tonne guys. :)

Edit: Sorry just noticed a triangle leading off to a pointless edge loop that can be seen in the pic - ignore that!
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need some help with modeling this shape. spent the hole night and still did not get it to look good :P

http://www.chenessinc.com/brasstsuka.htm
    (the twisted rope things they hard... they give me a head ache!)
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rock Bottom: What software are you using? I would try to solve this with a modular approach modeling one section laid out flat and then deforming it into the shape of the handle. Adding in the unique variations at the very end.
  • Rock Bottom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Jocose: i am using 3Ds max and i think i may have found a way but i am not home to try it out so once i get home i will try and post it for others to see or come up with a better way of doing it thanks fr the reply.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Rock Bottom,

You would need to do a little adjusting to get the overall curvature and 'diamonds' the way you want, but in Max here is one approach:
    (#2 should read ...twist, bend, and scale)

tuska.jpg
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm having some trouble making a crease in this part of the leg. I just can't seem to get it to work without having the polys on the bottom look messed up.
    leg%20trouble%202.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    sometimes when modelling i try to think of it as 'well this is made from two peieces in real life, so i should model it with two pieces' and sometimes (like in this instance) it pays off. or you could try get creative with the cut tool. or even if your even more adventurous, sculpt or use a floater.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    pior wrote: »
    Hehe cool that you got it to work Godo. When people say 'more polies' all over this thread that what they mean. For details spanning across smooth curved surface, you need the surface to have high density for it not to be deformed or pinched by details modelled in.

Also evenly spaced, square polys work best.
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mike670 polycounter lvl 11
    heya I'm having a problem modeling this mag release button for a HK 416
    00043.jpg

how would i tackle this?

thanks!
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I am no weapons expert, so I might be mistaken in assuming the little black button above the trigger to be the mag release...easiest would be, to model it without the surface details and add them later in PS...but if you want to model them, create some splines in that shape and cut along them into the mesh and extrude...
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Piflik, yes that is the right part I'm talking about, I just decided to do a very detailed high poly model so I want to model everything in. Please bear with me ,I have actually never used splines so, now when you say cut along them into the mesh, is there a tool for that? or do you mean to just trace over the spline using cut on the model?

thanks
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm guessing you want to model it in one piece, except for the pin in the middle?

For a piece of that size, I would probably do something like this:
    140dtp0.jpg

If however you insist that it should be one piece, its pretty much the same, just with a lot more fiddling splicing them together, just remember to run a gutter loop around your chamfer to make sure it doesnt get squished or stretched by long/short edge distances around it.
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 11
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only problem with that mesh, rouge, is that the side gets tight corners, when its smooth on the real thing..
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 11
    Same thing as above just more sides, adding/deleting edge loops in certain areas, moving verts to fit the curve and etc, .obj example provided:
    Download
    MagRelease2.jpg
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys this helped me a lot!
  • heather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could really use some direction on punching some holes in a two-sided surface:
    punchsumholes.jpg
    See those eight holes in the butt of that MK14? How I do this! The method I was about to proceed with would have resulted in at least a million more lines throughout the entire model, and I'm sure that it wouldn't look very .. professional, to say the least.
    What do you amazing people think?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like that is a planar surface? Meaning you can just punch the holes right through it and make a mess of the topology (within reason) and it will never show up. If its not planar, then yes, you will need to add in some geometry but you shouldn't need to make it too dense, only as much as you need to get it to shade correctly.
  • heather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a blind idea, I think I'm just going to go through with it...

punchsumholes2.jpgThis feels like one of those times where I go through a process that takes me a couple hours only to find later that it could've been done much, much quicker..
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    They're planar so you can just punch out the holes and clean up the mesh a bit. They won't smooth poorly. What weapon is that? Do you have another view?

Also, I'm having problems with a mesh of my own. I may post it later today :D
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    @Dog-gy : It´s a MK14 , full name: Mark 14 Mod 0 Enhanced Battle Rifle
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't usually find myself needing to ask for help with this stuff, but after about 10 tries I've had no success modeling the front of this train.

Pretty sure this is the right thread for this kind of thing.

Anyway, this is what I have so far.

up68wip.jpg

And here are the reference pictures.

Turbine68.jpg

3967734805_1e3b86f98d_b.jpg

I haven't got any idea how to start it off, and every time I do the shape just seems to fall apart, never really coming close to what it should look like.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    train_suggestions.jpg

Since you didn't give a specific problem (I get it sometimes starting it is the hardest damn part, and no matter what it just doesnt look right) Heres a modeling order for you.

It'd be my approach. Just basic forms, no detail at all. Then once thats done and looking rightish, start cutting in detail where it needs to be. :D How I tackled the stock for my M4.

NOTE: Once you get the forms down how you want, dup and put the originals on a seperate layer and hide it. Then once you start cutting no matter how bad you F-it up you can just pull back a fresh dupe of the right form and start off that much further ahead. Since they're seperate pieces too, just that much easier.
  • selentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonderful, I finally got something going, it's not perfect, but it'll do just fine.

Thanks a bunch ~
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Hey, I'm doing side work for an indie company and they want me to make a roman bed, I have no clue how I can go about to model the cross rope in the middle. Any ideas? Romanbedoak1st-2ndC.jpg
  • noname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noname polycounter lvl 10
    Getting to a woven pattern is acutally very simple. You just need a starting point like this and then it's some duplicating and moving.

patter1.png
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, No name. I was thinking about that, but seems like an incredibly long way of going about it. If there is no other way, thats fine.. but wondering if any has another method to do it.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Why not use the array tool, and weld? wouldn't take a long time at all. then add the sag or any shape to it with a lattice modifier
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh.. Lattice Modifier is a fine idea. What about this array tool? whats that do?