Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    That's not a very effective method there, with so much detail required for it's bound to cause rounding problems. Easier to make tread sections and rotate them around the pivot of a tube which will act as the main tyre wall.

Here's a tutorial...

http://www.webdesign.org/web/3d-graphics/tutorials/polygon-modeling-car-tyres.8636.html
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    oh wow, very nice tutorial! how did i not think of that before...thanks GCMP! i think im'a take this route instead, less hassle and it'll still look good. i'll even post how the tire comes out in a bit when i'm done with it!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone got an idea of how to get this result through a plug-in in Max?

chamfer.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NautalusX wrote: »
    WHAT.jpg
    See how it lights up along the corner? Where it supposed to be dark. I added loops around the model but doesn't seem to be fixing it. Am I being to picky?

This isnt actually an error of any sort, because you have a slight curve in the corner there it is catching a highlight, this a good thing, not a bad thing.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    8FtSpider wrote: »

Yeah just use the connect tool and either slide it down to where you want it or have the verts move along the edges and push them to where you want them.

I use the connect tool like a mad man for all my high poly work. Discover it's magical wonders.

chamfer.jpg
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Better than connect and slide, do this:

IC.PolySplitRing

Bind it to a key. It's the bomb.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Do an extrude on the edge with the dialog box, 0 height, adjust the width.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    NautalusX wrote: »
    WHAT.jpg
    See how it lights up along the corner? Where it supposed to be dark. I added loops around the model but doesn't seem to be fixing it. Am I being to picky?

turn on the shadows in your light, right now the light has its direction and casts through every surface, you want it to be dark there, then lat some shadow influence that area ;)
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    8FtSpider wrote: »

chamfer.jpg

What sinistergfx said, or search for a plugin called 'solid chamfer'.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Extrude edges can work as well, just make sure to set the Height to 0 - and you may have to do some clean-up after it.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Slum wrote: »
    Better than connect and slide, do this:

IC.PolySplitRing

Bind it to a key. It's the bomb.

+1

this is a feature in max2010 and the older polyboost
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I really have problems defining the shape below;

Tried it for a few hours now but no success. On a side not, blender is to stupid for ngons so quads only.

(Please ignore the mess above the artifact, thats the results from my attemps to fix the glitch)

Thanks in advance.

OowtfKopie.jpg
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    I believe it's coming from the pole (vert with 6 segments coming into it) in the center of your mark-up. Try and adjust your flow to eliminate it. Send the loop around the top of your hole down the straight side to the right rather than just having it be a circle. Hope that made sense.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Ah, that made sense indeed, thank yo, I'll try that :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That is one tough rim to model, there's 5 "circles" that need to retain it shape, plus the whole rim, plus the 5 half circles around the edge, I could attempt it but it probably wont turn out well.
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi himadri_sm

I'm interested to try this model, with the many shapes that need to be preserved.

The way I'm going to approach it is to create each of the major forms as primitives, and then go from there doing "booleans" in my mind, and attaching the pieces together as I go.

Then it would be a matter of chamfering edges to maintain the form.

Going to Wales this weekend however, maybe a lunchtime project next week :)

-Adam
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chamfer.jpg

If you're using Max, select the appropriate edges, do an edge extrude. Set extrusion height to 0, and then change the extrusion base to get the desired effect. You will get strange results in some cases, for example if one of the edges is not part of a quad.

This method only works with editable polys I think, and not editable mesh.

-Adam
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    bitmap wrote: »
    yes.
    im using the constraint to background.
    i move the piece against the other piece. and it stick to the surface. kinda like a project as per said.

it's a very nice trick :D

is this doable in max. or something similar?
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
    How might you guys go about creating the indents in this cylinder? I can't seem to add support edges without getting nasty creasing going the length of the cylinder.

Indented_Cylinder.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    TychoVII wrote: »
    How might you guys go about creating the indents in this cylinder? I can't seem to add support edges without getting nasty creasing going the length of the cylinder.

Indented_Cylinder.jpg

Use more sides in your cylinder. Try a 64 sided cylinder. Don't add support edges, let the edges of the cylinder be your support edges.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    himadri_sm wrote: »
    please see the image below..i am trying to model this alloy wheel of the lamborghini gallardo & i am using the image below as reference...right now i've done my basic block in in maya but when i bevel the edges(same as chamfering in max) to create the sharpness..i get weird pinching issues & the shape doesnot remain circular..i am also posting an obj file of my basic block in without any beveling..if anyone will complete this alloy for me i'd be highly grateful...thank you.

image for reference- 43708863.th.jpg

obj-http://www.mediafire.com/?jm2yotgmq1h

This would be a good candidate for nurbs since those rounded edges are all so uniform and the circles are on a perpendicular axis to curvature of the rim.

Still if you want a basic idea how to approach it I modeled porsche phone dials.

phone_dials.jpg
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ghostscape. It worked like a charm :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this doable in max. or something similar?
    You can do this a few ways.

1) Object Painter Scripts like Advance Painter or Soulburns Object Painter Script. (I personally like Niels script a lot better, more stable, more features, more accurate placement)
    2) Attachment constraint.
    3) Select an edge, click "create shape" this will give you a spline. You can then path deform the object(s) to the spline.
  • NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    43708863.jpg
    SimpleRims.jpg
    I went a little overboard with this and actually modeled it. I need practice anyway.
    It looks a little to skinny to me, and I didn't make the little holes in the middle. Someone Critique it plz.
    http://uploading.com/files/c518c7d8/CARRIMS%2521.max/
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't want to be rude but that rim hardly looks like the one he asked for help modeling, there are many key features that are missing.
  • NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks close to me. Whats missing? The nut holes is all I can see. EDIT: DAMN IT, I'm sorry I never viewed the reference image at full size. lol. I see now that its much different.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    I had a go at the rim. It is not perfect, but close ;) . I didn't include the screws at the nub. I also have some pinching issues. They are not very visible from afar, but up close they are quite ugly. I didn't find a way to get rid of them without loosing much definition of the overall shape. Maybe if I'd redo the whole rim with more segments for the circles...

rim01.jpg
    rim02.jpg

Here's the obj.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    It was pretty straight forward. Started with a 40 Sided Cylinder and deleted all but the top face. Extruded the border and deleted the center. Then I selected a fifth of the circle and deleted the rest. With the array function I then copied the reminder to make the circle whole again (this way I don't have to repeat every step five times...). Then I attached another circle (similar to the first but smaller and with only 16 segments) and positioned it where the hole should be. I copied part of the circle and moved it to one of the 'half'-circles. Then I just connected the three shapes and added some support edges, extruded a bit, moved some Vertices around (for even less work I used a Symmetry Modifier on the part I was working on, since each of the radial parts has axial symmetry)...I then attached the five parts together and completed the rim. For the outwards bulge I used a Vol.Select Modifier with Soft Selection and an XForm Modifier. I first wanted to use a Cylindrical FFD, but that somehow bugged on me...if it works for you, it is easier and faster than the Vol.Select + XForm combo.

As I said, the Rim has some flaws. The missing screws might be quite easily integrated, but I have yet to find a way to get rid of the pinching...also some edges could be a little harder...but that would again introduce more pinching...you might want to model the rim with double segments for the initial circles...(80 and 32)...it means more Vertices to connect, but also more definition and less pinching...

(All 3ds Max btw ;))
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posted this in your thread Tycho, hope its of help. Stuck it in here for keeps sake too.

barrelwip.jpg

Step 1:

create a plane completely flat, with your shapes cut out of it. I started with a rectangular spline, filleted the edges and extruded from there then just duplicated along. If you start with a spline the curve should be perfect when smoothed. Add a shell modifier to the plan and then add control edges (as you can see in the exploded image) to control the smoothing of your object as you wish.

Step 2:

Add a turbosmooth modifier to your model

Step 3:

Apply a bend modifier. Make sure this is on top of the smooth model otherwise you will get unwanted creases. Bend it 360 degrees bla bla bla.

Step 4:

Symmetry modifier and voila.

You can tell by the highlight on the mesh in step 3 thats theres no smoothing errors whatsoever. If you applied the bend before the smooth you will get errors around the corners of your cutouts.

Hope thats of some help to someone.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Quickish tutorial on how to make some chainmail/chainlink to wrap around pipes and other objects.

oth.jpg
    First step - Right click snaps toggle button and make these settings in the snaps and user grids tabs, when finished activate snaps...
    1Snapsettings.jpg

Second step - Go to the front viewport, then on the create panel, select helpers and grid...
    2Gridhelpers.jpg

Third step - Draw out a grid using 4 squares, zoom in so you can see the grid clearly...
    3Drawgrid.jpg

Fourth step - On the create panel, switch to shapes, splines and select line...
    4Createline.jpg

Fifth step - Click on the top left corner then the bottom right corner of the grid, right click to end the spline creation. Repeat this step with the top right and bottom left...
    5Drawingsplines.jpg

Sixth step - Select either line and go to the modify panel, attach the other spline/line...
    6Attachotherline.jpg

Seventh step - Select the new shape, hold down shift and left click, move to snap to the right and select copy, 45 times. Make sure all the shapes are snapped properly, if they are not, undo and re-snap!
    7Shiftdragcopy1.jpg

Eighth step - Select the first shape on the grid "Line01", in the modify panel choose attach mult, select all on the list and press attach button.
    8Attachmult.jpg

Ninth step - As before in the seventh step, select the new shapes, hold down shift and left click, move to snap down this time, copy 60 times!
    Tenth step - Repeat eighth step and attach all the lines together, delete the user grid and turn off snaps, nearly done!
    9Shiftdragcopy2.jpg

Eleventh step - Switch to perspective view and select the new shape, go to modify panel and add bend modifier. Select x axis, 360 degrees.
    10Bend.jpg

Twelveth step - Convert shape to editable spline, go to the modify rollout (be careful here if your system doesn't have alot of ram!!) Click enable in renderer and enable in viewport, check rectangular, default settings.
    11Renderablespline.jpg

End

list.jpg

Some of you may recognise this from artwork recently posted in P&P, thought it was cool, so couldn't resist :)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Indented_Cylinder.jpg
    This the sort of thing you're after?

indentedcylinder.jpg

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JY6DEG8S
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    how about floating geo?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    So anybody do this mini-tut yet? Like it? Posted this on autodesk, the area website and it's seems to have gone down well, just hoping the same is true here.
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's exactly it Talon. Already two clever ways to tackle that problem now.

GCMP, your photobucket limit is exceeded.
  • cedrico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cedrico polycounter lvl 13
    Hello guys,
    I'm new to this forum here, very interesting thread, i have a question regarding Vadim recon elite youtube or vimeo someone posted on page 18, how would you guys model the nice rounded hole inside of the rounded shoulder pad ? I have very hard time trying to replicate this kind of geometry.
    THX
    I work both with maya and max, but any package workflow would do, just curious about the different steps, if someone wants to have a go at it :-) ?

THX
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    GCMP, your photobucket limit is exceeded.

TychoVII - yeh but now it's reset, let me know if you find it useful:shifty:

cedrico - you mean bitmaps screw vimeo? Just watch his edgeflow, that should be enough to recreate in max/maya. If you mean something else or have a specific problem it would help if you posted it :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    GCMP: Never heard of the Array tool in Max? You can replace your "seventh step" with that. Don't bother manually copying it 45 times and snapping stuff, just type the values in...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    array? Yes! Used it a few times before to make chains but this tutorial is based on user grids and snapping so using array kind of undermines the idea. For instance previewing the result, adjusting axis increments and all the other features it has just adds complexity where it's not required.
  • GJK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GJK
    Pinch_Problem.jpg?t=1256753255

How would you cap holes in either a cylinder or a sphere avoiding pinching?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I've starded a ppk gun using subdiv, and as i was struggling with it, i was wondering if it wudn't be easier to use a surfacic modeler like MOI 3d for some parts. What do you guys think about it ? Is there a reason why you never use "nurbs" modeling technics as base for mechanical stuff ?
  • CastratedWeasel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CastratedWeasel polycounter lvl 10
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GJK, try a sphere with 8 segments then remove every other edge from the cap to create quads. That should sort out your pinching.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    CastratedWeasel: You could start from a cylinder grab the top face then delete most of it to just be left with the top part then drag the edges down to create a oval then just make the indents as you normally would.

Or just start with a plane and move some verts around.
  • Stickmoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could someone give me a hand with modelling this 'thing' here.

I know how to make the rivetty bits but have no idea how to make it into that oval shape. Thanks in advance.
    Useless tidbit but that 'thing' is the bolt catch. I would also model it starting with a cylinder and dragging half of the verts down.
  • neigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something like this maybe?
    model-1.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    you got too many bumps on yours, there's like 12 on the real gun, and he wants to sub div model it, (just look at the title of the thread)
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
    Could someone give me a hand with modelling this 'thing' here.

Man this was way trickier than I imagined.
    3ds max:
    I started with a highcount cylinder, removed the top faces and half of the cylinder (using symmetry later on) and moved the verts down, as the others mentioned, bridged those faces and caped the border at the top. Then I connected the verts with the cut tool to get the divisions needed to extrude the rivettes.
    After the extrude I used a bevel on top (chamfer probably works just as well) and added supporting edges at the bottom of the rivettes and at a few other spots as you can see on the lowpoly mesh.

Good luck!
    polycount_weaponthing.jpg
  • Carl Brannstrom
    @GJK

It would also be possible to use a meshsmoothed cube.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    pumbaa - practise is good but there's nothing wrong with intersecting geometry and seeing as this is a smallish part anyway might as well save some time...
    gsetgo.jpg
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
    GCMP wrote: »
    pumbaa - practise is good but there's nothing wrong with intersecting geometry and seeing as this is a smallish part anyway might as well save some time...
    gsetgo.jpg

Wicked tutorial, thanks. I didnt go for the intersecting geo here cause I didnt think it could do the trick, fit the edges perfectly, oh how i was wrong!