Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The metal heads are making my head hurt, I don't own a guitar and the weird shape is hard to get the nice edges, and keep the smooth circles.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Allright, here's another problem I just couldn't solve and tried figuring out different methods that wouldn't work, due to this thing having planes at different angles and some edges not being able to remove themselves, but I did manage to fix the pinching on this real well.

Everything looks great on this "bolt" but then, I get this nasty bump coming out that you can see, and it's not supposed to do, instead it needs to round off perfectly. I know what's causing the bump, just need the solution to get rid of those pesky edges that create it. Viewport with grey mat and wireframe shown here if anyone can help me remove that dumb bump!

weird_bump_mat.jpg

weird_bump_wire.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Edited again;

obj here...
    http://www.2shared.com/file/7609759/44faf75a/Poly_high_quads.html
    max file here...
    http://www.2shared.com/file/7605887/57665c95/Hi_poly_part.html

ZacD This is probably the solution you could go for...

jpegwires.jpg

It's not perfect but really it doesn't have to be meshsmoothable, for instance you could make a cylinder with loads of edges, boolean out what you dont need and chamfer it a bit. Might be easier that way with some stuff?

ps: G3L the same sort of thing applies to your model but you could go about it differently, just experiment a bit and it will come :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't have max, could you save it as an obj?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    G3L : to avoid that kind of bumps around a cylindrical shape, you really just need to go much more dense with the base volume. Try maybe 24 edges. The more edges you have defining the primitive, the less it will deform near areas of chanfered, double-edged details...
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    pior: yeah thats what i was thinking of doing is goin a bit more crazy on just the base form, might try that next time.

GCMP: zacD's problem is almost like mine! let me see what that does for me...I knew there was a way around it, just didn't really come to me.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    GCMP wrote: »

It was all tri's when I imported it...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Edited for less dumbness/blindness
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    you can just set obj to save quads though, right? give it a try. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Lame, so there's no way to go from max to xsi without that happening? its Its hard to see how the smoothing affects the object with all the extra tris, and its tedious trying to remove them all
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    *Fixed
    :poly136: why the hell did I not see that before? thanks wallasaurus!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's something i did to show the use of floaters.
    Might do a tutorial on this shit.
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/93793/PC_Float.obj
    PC_Float.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    bitmap: That looks great! Please do a tutorial on your process for that floater. It seems like it would be difficult to get things to line up properly, but I'm sure you have a good way of doing it.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes.
    im using the constraint to background.
    i move the piece against the other piece. and it stick to the surface. kinda like a project as per said.

it's a very nice trick :D
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Perna, bitmap: I'm still not sure what you guys are talking about. I'm a 3ds max user which is probably why. Is this a method only possible with Modo, or would aligning the verts on the edge to another sub-d surface (using polyboost tools) give me essentially the same results?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    himadri_sm: Someone on polycount will likely have a better way, but here is what I would do:

The brown piece itself would obviously be a floater.
    I would make a cylinder (with a lot of sides), scale the one face down like in the picture.(this would be the major round part)
    Then make a smaller cylinder and attach it (this would be the part with the screw on it).
    If you need to get the little details around the screw and the screw itself, those can simply be floaters. I think as long as you use a lot of sides on the cylinders, when you attach the two, it should smooth nicely.
    Oh, and of course add your supporting edges for sub-d.
    Good luck!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    That clears a few things up. Thanks perna!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    perna wrote: »
    Pior's got it. For a shape like that you either

-use lots of segments

or

-spends absolute ages trying to get some clever lowpoly cage thing going before you give up and use more segments anyway.

A less dense mesh like the one in CGMP's screenshot will end up with inaccurate curves, inconsistent widths, poor shading, etc and be hard to edit manually.

Strange you say that, curves, widths and shading look fine to me plus it didn't take that long to produce. Wouldn't you say it's better to have more parts that are contiguos instead of lots of non contiguos ones? Seems that editing would be easier that way as apposed to using floating geometry in bitmaps example which doesn't give a perfect edge, (downloaded the file & checked) this method wouldn't translate seamlessly in a normal map.

btw I did mention using a higher poly primitive to begin with like pior mentioned afterwards :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yes, the effects of subdivision have been witnessed but the application is something we have to experiment with. Predicting the best solution to an unfamiliar problem seems difficult, sometimes impossible.
    The response to ZacD's reply in keeping smooth edges was interpreted as wanting a contiguous surface that could be subdivided smoothly, hence the solution presented.

The reference to floaters was primarily concerned with bitmaps suggestion where the join between two mesh elements was imperfect. Using a contiguous modified primitive would circumvent this problem and be more controllable, providing the complexity was low! The secondary concern was the guitar part as this could be approached using up to three parts with subdivision or four parts without.

It's interesting seeing different approaches and I think it helps seeing from someone else's perspective so that more choices are available in the future and you don't get "stuck".
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With floaters, generally, if there isnt some visible problem looking at the mesh, its going to bake correctly(or well enough). Be it a floating inset screw, or a complex floating intersection, if it looks correct and seamless in your viewport, there is no reason to think it wouldn't be seamless in your bake.

As you see in bitmap's example, it looks seamless enough. You see the resulting faces end up completely planar, so there would be no "off" angle that would create a seam in the bake. Clearly if you screw this up and it looks bad in the viewport, it will also look bad in the bake. =D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Actually downloaded bitmaps file and checked it with meshsmooth up to 4 iterations and the join was noticeably imperfect from a reasonable distance. If this object is a very small proportion of the scene/mesh/texture space then I understand and agree completely that it's unimportant yet the concern was raised on the other hand.
    Just to add, I used to get bogged down with small details and only until later when looking at the whole scenario did it hit that appreciating scale was one of the most important and time saving factors. edit that probably sounds like contradiction heh
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe max is doing something different then, because in modo it looks perfect.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We can break it down into 2d space here, it becomes very simple.

floatingintersections.jpg
  • Chris807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, i am new at modelling mechanical sub-d things, i have followed
    some tutorials in this thread, but my question is what you would advise a beginner to model first ? Maybe a hammer or something else?

What was your first mechanical model ?
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Ive been having trouble for awhile on one particular form of metal with seams. If you notice in the picture, the top of those plant incubators, the metal has a seam design in it.

The problem with rounded surfaces with seams like that is that when you try to get the seam to have a hard edge when smoothed it ends up pinching, in this case, the cylinder shape, and you have a hard crease in whats supposed to be a round object.

What is the best way to get seam detail into rounded or odd shaped shaped surfaces. In my case it wouldn't have to be modeled in necessarily, it would be baked down into a normal map.

Thanks Guys.

37941_deadspace-concept-01.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Swarm22: I'd do it as floating geometry. Make a spline (nice and smooth) on top of the cylinder mesh, and use a Sweep or similar (assuming 3dsmax) to give it an indented shape.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    MoP wrote: »
    Swarm22: I'd do it as floating geometry. Make a spline (nice and smooth) on top of the cylinder mesh, and use a Sweep or similar (assuming 3dsmax) to give it an indented shape.

I was actually about to give that a try, glad that it works. thanks man.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Although, to be honest, it's not that difficult to model it in either. You just need to start off with enough cylinder segments in your control mesh.

Example:
    cut_in_detail.jpg

Not the cleanest of meshes but the end result is fine (and easily tweakable), and it only took 2 minutes to make.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do floating stuff constantly at work, it's doesn't always work perfect, but usually quite well. It mostly just takes trial and error and experience to know what will work and what won't.

I do my normal/AO/Diff bakes in multiple passes. Usually a base pass of parts with only the main shapes, then another pass of floaters with cropped alphas and 0 padding and paste those over the other mesh in Photoshop.

It usually works quite well, but like I said, it depends. I also turn off the showing of errors for my final bake on floaters to get rid of any red that might bleed.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Seems there's been an influx of people doing the cylindrical shape with indent type thing...next time instead of using an 8-sided cylinder, I'm going to go with 32, lol.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Anyone got suggestions on modeling leather wrapping like you'd find on a staff?
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Vassago,

Not sure this is what you need but here's a quick and dirty ( Hi Andy :P ) tutorial I did for the straps on the Darkwatch Gun I did.

Link to the gun http://markdamico.carbonmade.com/projects/2388306

Tutorial:
    1. Did a low poly version.
    2. Ran connect to add some edge loops.
    3. Extruded every other row of faces.
    4. Ran connect again to get edge loops in place for running turbosmooth.
    5. Pushed/pulled geometry.
    6. Played around in the modifier stack and found tesselate gave me a good base to work with.
    7. Took it into Zbrush and moved, painted folds, smoothed, etc..
    8. Ran Decimation Master
    9. Imported back into Max

LeatherStrapsProcessResized.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Anyone got suggestions on modeling leather wrapping like you'd find on a staff?

what's a staff?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap wrote: »
    what's a staff?

The big thing in my pants that EQ is always fondling... :poly142:
    it's a wooden stick, used for combat.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hell mark, do you have a closer pic of the high res? It looks really muddled, can't tell if it's what I'm after.
    Ultimately I'm looking for a real wrap effect like this:

staff.jpg

It looks like maybe splines and an extrusion where used? Wondering if I'm doing something wrong though. I always end up with the damn extrusions rotating funky throughout a turn or something like that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I just do it with a long subdivided plane, a Twist modifier to get the rough wrap shape down, a Shell modifier on top to give it some depth, and then tweak verts/edges to get a more natural look.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Some methods ->

- Select an ring of polygons on the staff, clone it out, slide the verts to whatever angle you want, then extruded/push/whateveryoulike -- if you need a continuous mesh, just delete the polies under it and start welding.

- Sculpt it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLcHHb7Cz8 (ninjas from around here)

- What mop said

- http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=939228&postcount=400 first few steps of this + extrude
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll give that a shot.
  • Ark
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not quite, Ark. I'll have to try a combo of several of these techniques. The sculpting one is closest, but I have limited experience with sculpting apps, so I just need to practice more.

I can make the shape you've shown there, Ark. But the problem is how it terminates. it doesn't look like it was wrapped. There's an initial point where it had to be glued to the object, then wrapped over itself.

Using MoP's suggestion along with some sculpting tweaks should give me the result I'm looking for.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was recently trying to do something similar (and was actually trying mimic that same pic that you were from cgtalk). I settled on a couple helix splines that I modified a bit, then used a sweep with an oblong shape, then overlayed a couple from different directions to get this:

YHzP4l.png
  • NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm wondering if I did this correctly? The shading looks messed up on the edges.
    HEY021.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks fine to me.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    hmm, if i were trying to do wraps around a staff, i would start cutting extra loops around the staff geo. Then i'd do an edge "ring select" and "connect" them with 2 lines and adjust the spacing so they were close to the base loops. Take these 2 new edge loops and scale them out a bit. This would essentially be one "wrap". Hope that makes sense :P.

You'd have to play with your cuts to make small areas of geo that wouldn't pop out to remain the base wood.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NautalusX wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I did this correctly? The shading looks messed up on the edges.

Try adding more loops like this (the number of loops you can add is left to you, I just drew the general idea. Also forgive the horrible paintover. :P)

polycount_aid1.jpg

That should fix it, I think. As perna says, it's hi-poly sub-d modelling, there's no reason to not add a few loops here and there for better smoothing at the expense of polys. :D
  • NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WHAT.jpg
    See how it lights up along the corner? Where it supposed to be dark. I added loops around the model but doesn't seem to be fixing it. Am I being to picky?
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Naut: yeah looks fine to me as well, just add those extra loops as vcool mentioned to give that huge cylindrical shape some better shading. plus the corners are good.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    I'm working on this tire and unfortunately both sides have to be a little different from each in terms of the repeating depth on the tire.

Anyways, that's not the issue...the issue is what I'm getting, and I know why I am. As you can see in this picture, I 'm not getting a nice rounded tire. Where the edges bunch up, it starts creating these wide bumps. Why? Because the divisions I made for the hard edges on the tire depth seams are affecting the overall rounded shape. I'll shutup and you can take a look...

bumps.jpg

bumps_wire.jpg

Now before coming on here, I always try to solve the problem myself to advance myself. So I tried this one, to minimize the division going across, but now I get this weird pinching problem, that I'm sure I've never got before when I've done this method. So, tell me, should I really worry about a little pinch like that on the tire seams and go this route, or is there another solution?

solution_pinch.jpg

solution_pinch_wire.jpg

BTW, the bumpiness on cylindrical objects, I've gotten it before, and I'm not talking about the problem I had recently with the post I made about a week ago. Trying to minimize these cuts sometimes becomes a problem O_o
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    oh man, don't mind that weird edge on the side of the tire in the 2nd pic (if you notice it)! looks like i welded those two points on accident but trust me, that's so not the problem of all this, i just noticed it! urgh...