Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_R_Hopo polycounter lvl 14
    My best advice is, only extrude when you HAVE TO. For all other hard sharp extrusions, even embossing I would suggest using separate elements. I used to high poly like that but it was a major to clean up, so I just broke stuff off into elements where I could. It increased the speed of my work flow and saved me some grey hairs :)

That's what I thought it might have to come to. But I'm still confused then for if if have to cut into a cylinder and not extrude. I'd have the same problem, but not be able to do it with seperate pieces :(
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ander, I think you might have an unwelded vert there.

Also, I_R_Hopo, that edge doesn't seem to make sense where it is. It seems like you don't need it at all from the view that you showed.....
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But if I don't put it in, the extruded shape isn't supported and get's rounded at the corners :( But it's okay I'm thinking, because I'm watching Racer445's AK47U tutorial, and learned how to do the path deform thing so that might help with what I'm doing. That's really not a beginner tutorial though, I keep getting lost on it :P Thanks for the help though guys!
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    You could just collapse that loop sooner, you have all those ones defining it's shape as it extrudes, cut it into one of those, don't let it go all the way down the cylinder. That's why you're getting the hard seam.

EDIT: I think I worded this weird. I can show you if it doesn't make sense. but basically, you want to terminate that loop, merging it into one of the existing ones.
  • albino_goldfish
    [quote=I_R_Hopo;1067134 Racer445's AK47U tutorial, [/quote]

So is this a dvd or did you download it somewhere? I'm curious to take a look at it
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    @ albino_goldfish: here it is http://racer445.com/pages/tutorials/ak-tutorial.php

I recommend the torrent download to save bandwidth.
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW wrote: »
    You could just collapse that loop sooner, you have all those ones defining it's shape as it extrudes, cut it into one of those, don't let it go all the way down the cylinder. That's why you're getting the hard seam.

EDIT: I think I worded this weird. I can show you if it doesn't make sense. but basically, you want to terminate that loop, merging it into one of the existing ones.

That was the problem I was having. I was terminating the loop but it was still giving me a nasty hard edge. I'm guessing this just boils down to me doing something wrong though... I probably shouldn't have picked such a rounded weapon for my first try :P I think I'm just going to make it floating geometery though, and redo that entire area. After doing some more of the tutorial, I see where I've made a whole bunch of unnecessary mistakes. I love modelling, it's like a giant puzzle!
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    No, you were letting the loop go down the entire length, run it off into another vert right outside the box, end it early so it doesn't run all the way down. you want it to merge into the edges that are existing defining the cylindrical shape.
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW wrote: »
    No, you were letting the loop go down the entire length, run it off into another vert right outside the box, end it early so it doesn't run all the way down. you want it to merge into the edges that are existing defining the cylindrical shape.

I definately did this, in my third picture. For some reason it was still giving a nasty error, but not all the way down the cylinder. Like I said, I'm probably doing something else wrong, but I did terminate the loop.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Ah, I didn't look close enough and thought they were all the same. I guess without seeing your model I can't be of much help then.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    SyncViewS wrote: »
    I recommend the torrent download to save bandwidth.

Yeah, though I have unlimited bandwidth. :poly124:
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I've been working on improving my high poly skills lately and have been using this pistol for practice. I'm getting hung up on this area of the grip. It's probably an easy fix, but I just wanted to know how you would go about modeling dat shape.

pc1.jpg
    pc2.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Show us what you got so far?
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, quick 3ds max question. I found a quick and dirty cylindrical knurling tut in this thread, and it tells me to save my selection set, ie, the edges I have currently selected but need to select later.

How do I save it?

Thanks, and sorry if it is a stupid question.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    in maya : create > set > quick select set, then right click in the outliner and hit 'select set members' to fetch back that saved selection.

In max you just select stuff, type the desired name in the empty filed in the main toolbar, and it then fills up and becomes a selection dropdpwn. Dunno if it works on components tho.
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I will try that, thanks pior.

Here is that tut in case anyone wants to see it:

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56014&page=17

E:\ that worked, but not I cannot seem to be able to do step 11, the hotkey specified doesn't work with my setup, and I cannot find that command in the hotkey setup menu....
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question. It's really basic I think but it's driving me nuts! Can you guys help me out?

illustrate.gif
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Not really a SubD question...

...Inset...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i got a PM from n88tr asking how i make cylinders inside of other shapes, so here are a few gifs:

1. Easy way to do what is shown in his example

bridge.gif

2. Doing a cylinder inside of a box

cube-cylinder.gif

You'll notice i didnt make a full edge selection when i bridge here, sometimes modo likes to screw this sort of bridge operation up, so you can just leave out 1 selection from each ring, and then just go back in and cap the missing area.

Now, when doing this sort of thing with more complex shapes, i often will create the main shape, and create the hole as a separate part of geometry, instance the hole 6 times for a revolver cylinder, and then just connect everything back together, either manually by selecting verts and creating faces, or using tools like bridge on an edge selection.

It takes some thought while you're doing this to make sure you have enough geometry to work well with sub-d, so keep that in mind as you create each section. The connecting geometry should be fairly messy, so make sure you have enough supporting edges around your pieces before you connect them.

Care should be taken to make sure you have a divisible number of sides in your main mesh for the amound of holes you wish to create, IE if you have 6 holes you wouldn't want 22 sides or 28 sides but 24 or 36 sides.

3. Here is a more complex example showing how i connect the different pieces. Exactly how you do it will depend on your tools, but it should be clear.

cylinder-example.gif

OBJ: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/499159/cylinder-example.obj
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't trust eq.
    he sucks at modeling
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you EQ. You have done well!!!
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I thought I'd have a go at some sub-d with something simple - a clipper lighter.

Can't find a single reference image on google for the underside, but I'm pretty sure it's as the lazy mock-up in photshop, where it's a circle, with six little rectangles coming out of it.

Clipper_WIP_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Is it best in this case to just make the little rectangles separate objects, rather than trying to bevel/inset the actual recess?

I wanted to make it fuzzy, as if it was injection moulded, hence the modelling in one piece, but gets very fuzzy.

EDIT - BTW - on searching tutorials for Sub-d , this thread now ranks #4 on google. :D
  • Andy Kerr - Art
    I am trying to figure out how to produce rifling engravings. I havnt found any tutorials that would assist me.

cheytac-2.jpg

Can any one point me in the right direction or just give me a few good quick tips?

Floating geometry would be fine.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ, that last .gif I get it mostly which is surprising to me but anyways after all the chambers are in there and you added those faces and duplicated that all around the open face how did you create those faces before duplicating them? Like did you use a plane and had the same amount of verts on the edges and then attached it to the outer cylinder or something else? Everything else I get but that one part.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    n88tr wrote: »
    EQ, that last .gif I get it mostly which is surprising to me but anyways after all the chambers are in there and you added those faces and duplicated that all around the open face how did you create those faces before duplicating them? Like did you use a plane and had the same amount of verts on the edges and then attached it to the outer cylinder or something else? Everything else I get but that one part.

Probably the bridge tool would be fastest, but you could do it with edge extrusion/weld or putting a plane there and then welding verts.

Bridge tool is probably the closest you're going to come to a "magic fill this shit" button, everything else is more work, but the bridge tool isn't going to do that all in one click, either.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 methods in modo really

1. Select 2 edges(or more), bridge. if your # of sides are even, you can select a bunch of edges and bridge to get perfect quads etc. by # of sides varied a bit more than i liked so i needed some tris in there

2. Select vertexes and make poly! In modo this is P on the keyboard, im sure other apps have the same function
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    9ab8d55ee7eb0db8905c60563151084f.png

This damn shape has been annoying me for ages :poly118:

Basically all I want is the subdivided shape on the left, a recessed triangle that has its longest edge flush with a flat plane. However I really want it to be repeated across a grid, which is where my problems come in.

You can see where I've circled in pink on the low poly that there are mor edges leaving the plane on the right than on the left, which makes them very difficult to join up without getting pinching, and more to the point wihtout alot of tedious welding and cutting. (I am repeating this across a pretty big grid.)

finally for bonus points, the change between the 'triangle' and the plane is a curver rather than straight between the two corners. but cutting it up into triangles makes more pinching.

Help, polycount!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That works quite nicely, but its a pain in the ass to tile uniformly. Just a bit tedious :(

Heres a botched previous attempt to give you an idea of the end result:
    ff5ffc084745623ed0bbb3935ec166cb.PNG
  • badcop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a gif for rifling in max.

2jan38z.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Hey Guys and Gals .
    Theres a site called CGTut+ with several great highpoly modeling tutorials for max. check it out if youve never heard of it. ive learnt alot from the Rpg modeling tut.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    onion - thanks for the heads up - seeeeeeennn it, it's where racer45 hosts alot of his awesome tuts..
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Guys and Gals .
    Theres a site called CGTut+ with several great highpoly modeling tutorials for max. check it out if youve never heard of it. ive learnt alot from the Rpg modeling tut.

I have to admit I was somewhat skeptical about that community at first, it seemed like one of those shitty and lame community that just wanted your moneyz.

Cgtuts+ has grown a lot in the last few months, with lot's of great tuts. Totally recomended.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys and Gals .

QFT

Probably the best tutorial site I've seen.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I am trying to figure out how to produce rifling engravings. I havnt found any tutorials that would assist me.

cheytac-2.jpg

Can any one point me in the right direction or just give me a few good quick tips?

Floating geometry would be fine.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

What do you mean engravings? Like letters?
    If that's your question, I'd say you can use floating geometry on there. Either that, or do it in PS, run it trhough xnormal PS plugin (or nvidia nm filter) and put it on top of your baked result as an overlay.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    sXe Seany wrote: »
    ...wanted to know how you would go about modeling dat shape.
    pc2.jpg

Already answered here http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1021219&postcount=695
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I've posted one similar to this before, but this time I can better illustrate what I need help with. I'm just really stuck on how to do bits like this, and unfortunately for this part I cannot do floating geometry. I need those edge loops in there, but as you can see it creates an unwanted hard edge on the cylindrical area.
    crappyhardedge1.jpg
    crappyhardedge2.jpg

Now, when I do the target welding and deleting side edges to retain quads and only one edge, I get this nastiness:
    crappyhardedge3.jpg

Any help with this would be appreciated :) (Especially if you can keep everything in quads. That'd be beautiful!) Thanks in advance, and sorry for always posting a bunch of pictures.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    @ sXe Seany: Any chance you wanted a tip on this shape? It looks interesting. Here an obj.

dem_shape_01.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's just what I was looking for. Thanks a lot man. SyncViewS to the rescue yet again, haha.
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okno wrote: »
    More Geo™

So say I'm in a position where adding more geometry just really isn't.... Doable. Am I kinda screwed then?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    You might have to grit your teeth, grab a drink, and redo the shape - or a large part of it. I always hate looking at something and thinking, 'oh christ I've got to do it again...'
    Sucks. :(

Just think, you'll be glad you did in the end!

SyncViewS wrote: »
    @ sXe Seany: Any chance you wanted a tip on this shape? It looks interesting. Here an obj.

dem_shape_01.jpg

Gotta quote to say this is insane. :thumbup:
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    You might have to grit your teeth, grab a drink, and redo the shape - or a large part of it. I always hate looking at something and thinking, 'oh christ I've got to do it again...'
    Sucks. :(

I found a way to do it that gave satifactory results. Still a bit of pinching, but I think it was the best solution for what I had there. Unfortunately the part I showed was just a piece of a huge part, and redoing that shape probably would involve redoing a LOT of really complex bits. I felt a bit of pinching in a largely unseen place was better than a couple more hours' work :P Thanks for the help though guys! Next time I'm doing a piece where I need to extrude from a cylinder, I'll try and plan out ahead and add more geometry when starting off.

I REALLY hate cylinders now, they cause me soooooo much pain :(
  • koczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    koczek polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Fearian!
    I am quite new here, and with sub-d, but I made the belows. Someone may do a better one for you.
    indent_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
    indentgrid_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
  • koczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    koczek polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry, i forgot to merge the triangles to quads after joining some verts, but it is easy to do :)
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I'd give it a go too.

It tiles easily and is easy to add curve to the dip. There's a six sided pole present but no pinching.

It's an interesting one. If there's a better way that any 'pros' want to show ...

4368184558_0e5055d5a7_o.jpg

4367437917_cf76e50af1_o.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks like total shit:

I usually do these a different way (chamfer every other vert on a gridded cylinder, delete the new polys, shell), but it results in similar (but not as steep) pinching around the holes. A while back I recall seeing some really slick topo for something like this but I don't think it was in this thread because I just flipped through it.
    shamefultopo.jpg

Anyone got a picture of some better topo for this?
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone give me a walkthrough of the double-smooth technique where you have two turbosmooth modifiers and one references smoothing groups? I would love to see some technical workflow. Such as, do you add some edges to support, do you have to setup the smoothing groups on the basemesh before, etc.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rang3r1 wrote: »
    Can someone give me a walkthrough of the double-smooth technique where you have two turbosmooth modifiers and one references smoothing groups? I would love to see some technical workflow. Such as, do you add some edges to support, do you have to setup the smoothing groups on the basemesh before, etc.

I'm pretty sure this is a matter of just setting smoothing groups on the base mesh, using a smooth that respects the smoothing groups to highly tesselate the mesh to the point where it generates the support edges for all the hard edges, and then dropping one last smooth on top to round all the edges.

I do this with a tesselate modifier without any averaging but I guess smoothing with s-groups lets you mix curved and hard surfaces.

edit: here is a quick mockup. The topology is bad but the idea behind this is to let you skate with some quick topology.

sloooopy.jpg
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, greatly appreciated. :)