Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thats brilliant justin
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    rebb: is that a mask made out of human skin?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its ghoul-ifcation. It happens when you rad levels are too high for too long. Haven't seen it on the player before, that's awesome.

Both outfits, Gordon and Freddy are very creative, nice going guys!
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Its actually an item that you can get from a quest, ghouls don't attack you if you have it equipped - handy for sneaking up on them :D.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I would love to see enemies have limited inventories in a game like this. I encountered some super mutants on a sky bridge that were fucking me up pretty bad. And one has a rocket launcher. Whenever I kill a guy with a rocket launcher it usually gives me ONE rocket, after the guy has fired as many rockets as he wants at me. Give them 5 rockets max then force them to switch to another weapon.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    then you would get 0 rockets :P
    edit: btw, loving the rock-it launcher. made two, used one to repair the other.
    does loads of damage, seems like pre-war money was designed as its main ammo since it has no weight and counts as junk.. bit weird to see big clumps of paper mash up your enemies but hey ho... really nice when you're in a pinch with ammo
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Any other 'old skoolers' reminded of Terminator - Future Shock by this game? I'm particularly thinking of some of the ruined hotel/shop interiors, and city streets at night. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Rooster > is the Rockit launcher worth the price of the plans? or can you find them somewhere?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I've only played the game for a small amount of time, but I think they have made a decent job of it. Having played the first 2 religiously there are definite similarities. The feeling is great and the skill upgrades are relevant to the gameplay. I didn't change the G.O.A.T test and as a result had my melee stats boosted. This meant that when I ran out of ammo I took the baseball bat to some raider scum faces and inflicted some wholly agreeable damage to them. It reminded me of when I restarted F2 and made sure that the unarmed stats were high so that I could beat the badass in San Francisco and become the champion boxer in Reno.

Liking it so far.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Rooster > is the Rockit launcher worth the price of the plans? or can you find them somewhere?
    It's handy if you have a tendency to run out of bullets, but in my experience that doesn't happen all that much given that there are ammo boxes everywhere and you pick up more whenever you kill someone carrying a projectile weapon. On the other hand it is fun to smack people down with the junk from the side of the road.
    There are other schematics you'll come across later that are far more useful. I love my Shishkebab. Just try not to set Dogmeat on fire with it. He hates that.
    On an unrelated note, has anyone seen the "fireworks" over DC? The result is rather neat.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I bought the plans, I had saved about 1700 by that point. I like it, does a lot of damage and is very handy in a pinch. I don't regret buying it.. I also just now got the railway rifle plans.. tested it out on the poor population of megaton. very nice when you get a VATS crit on the head

edit: I should note mines in good nick and I have high heavy wep skill, so thats a factor in the damage. takes people down quick in my experience- whereas my close combat is weak and I don't bother with hand to hand weapons, so my shishkebab sits in a drawer in megaton. i guess it depends on your skill choices..
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I kept finding awesome melee weapons - chain sword, powerfist, shishkebab, katana, etc so I dropped a bunch of points into hand to hand. There's nothing quite like punching someone's head off with a pneumatic glove.
    If you are planning to build your own weapons, try to crank up your repair skill before hand and buff it with engineer costume, mentats and whatever else you have to hand. This'll mean that it has a higher durability to begin with which you'll definitely want because I don't believe you can get traders to repair them for you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've bought 4 plans so far. The good thing about buying them is that you can continue to turn junk into weapons that sell pretty well. The higher the repair skill the higher the less damaged they are when you create them, and therefor sell at a higher price. So the plans COULD pay for themselves.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, repair is an absolute must, no matter what type of character you are playing... weapons sell for a lot of caps if theyr fully repaired, even hunting rifles! It also helps you keep your inventory clean :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I'm all about the repair skill with my current character. However I think you could probably get by pretty well without it as long as you took scavenger perks to get more caps from just searching through random stuff, and higher barter / speech skill to get good deals from the merchants.

I think my next character is going to be a religious nutcase who beats people up with his bare hands :D
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished it. Dug the game overall, ending was
    a bit pants though.

For a game that bombards you with options and moral dilemmas that have a significant effect on your experiences in the world, the ending felt really thoughtless and generic. Not having the option to play on after completing the main storyline was lame too, as Marine already said. I finished the game on lvl 18... :(

I kind of broke the storyline climax too, since when I was at the Purity control room I had Fawkes ; my friendly, extremely radiation-resistant, super-mutant sidekick with me. Shouldn't HE be an available choice to go into the highly irradiated room, instead of myself or Lyons? I thought he was a 'stand-up guy', but when it came to the crunch the bastard just watched my face melt!

Also, since in 3 of the 4 possible endings (that I know of) my character dies, I really failed to give much of a shit about what happened to the wasteland water-supply after that. That slide show finale just flat-out didn't cut it for me. All the choices I made throughout the game ultimately only effected a couple of still frames and voice-over lines in a generic slide show? Pfft. That made the Bioshock endings look epic by comparison...

I suppose I liked the overall story to a degree, dialog was a bit lame/illogical at some points and I don't normally knit-pick stuff like that. I think what bugged me the most is that every choice you make while playing ultimately hinges on one pivotal moment. But since the explanation of all of those endings is so brief and shallow, the whole concept of 'the choice' seems pointless.

That's my rambling 0.02c anyway. Liked the game, ending was a let-down. [/rant]
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Dear god, anyone else playing on the PC have it crash every couple of minutes? It's getting hard to enjoy, though I have liked what I've actually been able to play so far.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Dear god, anyone else playing on the PC have it crash every couple of minutes? It's getting hard to enjoy, though I have liked what I've actually been able to play so far.

Hasn't crashed once for me. The only thing that happened once was when I hit tab for my pipboy and it kinda just froze and did nothing. I just hit tab again and it returned to normal.

Then I clicked tab again for the pipboy, and it worked. If you wanted to know....

Graphics and all, at high settings.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just able to play for about an hour with no crashes, apparently some codes cause problems with the game, I looked through forums and people suggested installed the k-lite codec pack, and using that to prevent ffdshow running with the game. Not had a crash (yet) since doing that, so here's hoping that's fixed it for good hehe.

I'm only in megaton so far but I can already get an idea of how many decisions you have to make, I think I'll have to replay it later as a complete arsehole.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    My game will sometimes randomly crash when in the middle of chatting to an NPC, kind of annoying.

Just discovered Rivet City and the Lincoln Memorial. Just crazy some of the sites and how well they executed some of the environments from the concept art. The draw distance and scale of the scenes easily are the best aspect of this game's art for me.

The game would REALLY benefit from some lovin to the animations. The characters would seem a ton better if they just had some bettering gesturing, facial expressions and body language when interacting with them. I do love the things enemies shout at you though, I get pumped to fight when I hear the enemy approaching saying stuff like "I'm going to gut you, you fucking bitch!"
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Beat GoW2, probably will leave that at work, so I should be able to get back at this game, at least until Mirror's Edge comes out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had it crash on my PC, normally when zoning during fast travel or when talking to NPC's and the radio kicks over to a new clip. When it crashes it will continue to crash if I relaunch it without restarting. Also if it crashes I can keep playing as long as I don't switch zones, very weird.

If I restart then launch it seems to go along fine.

I agree the scope of the outside world is amazing, animations horrible. I can't play in 3rd person, its just to painful to watch. I don't see any excuse for it, maybe they have a reason other then "yea our anim guy sucks..." The lip sync is painful also... especially since that's 90% of what I do all day. They must be using some kind of automated sync system I wouldn't blame them, but the mouth shapes they picked seem to be arbitrary?

Either they need a new system or they need someone who understands visemes are not phonemes and phonemes are not letters so streaming raw text or unfiltered sound is going to give you garbage.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I was meaning to check but didn't play last night, Vig, did you see if they were just using the "watermelon watermelon" trick for lip synching?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shush... no one talks about that... Least we animators be replaced by actual water mellons!

Yea that's possible too, but it looks like the wrong shapes are picked at the wrong times instead of a well machined loop.

I'll have to pay more attention the next time I play. If its like Oblivion then they are generating files based on wav files, which means its picking shapes. But they retooled their pipeline in an update to oblivion and shut down the lip sync mod tools. Which makes me think they started using some 3rd party stuff like Voice-O-matic and couldn't include it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    anyone find the crashed alien space ship yet with the alien dude just laying on the ground?

You get a sweet ass gun from the pile of shit and tons of ammo. Sweet gun and it one shot kills the super mutants and turns them to dust.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I'm 18 hours into the game, and I still didn't made any of the main quests! xD I'm having lot's of fun exploring the wastland and making side quests, this game is really huge and awesome!
    So far, I loved Rivet City! For those who don't know what it is, it's an old aircraft carrier, with a freaking city inside! How awesome does that sound?! :lol:

Here's a few shot's I took.

2imalj4.jpg

30svkon.jpg

2qvcgo9.jpg

149111s.jpg

2ai4j6c.jpg

2mdgc34.jpg
  • flaagan
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Dude thats pretty ignorant! Maybe you forgot it is the only country ever to get two fucking a-bombs dropped on it? The second one was actually called the 'fat man'. Learn your own countries history man!

I can completely understand these changes.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuff it, kwakkie.

If they had such a problem with it, maybe they should have just asked MS to not release it over there, much like they didn't with India.

Player's choice to do what they will, and seeing as the bomb's being lit up in an already nuked-to-well-done USA, as well as the fact this is set in *the future*, they've got nothing to complain about. Maybe if the slavers were only kidnapping Chinese, since they're the ones that bombed us according to the game.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Fat Man is an inappropriate name? They used it for the mad bomber guy in MGS2
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, you have valid points, but I still think it isn't something very funny. It was my bad that I assumed you didn't consider those bombs for the changes, sorry for that.

Anyway, let's drop it(lol, get it?) ;)

Does anybody know if there is a key to put away your weapon? 'r' works for melee weapons, but I starting to get annoyed with opening the pipboy every minute or so...
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is a key to put away your weapon? 'r' works for melee weapons, but I starting to get annoyed with opening the pipboy every minute or so...

You can make a hotkey for weapons, for instance, when you have the pipboy open, press and hold 1, and click on a pistol.
    Now go ingame, every time you press 1, you'll select that weapon. Press 1 again and you'll holster the weapon, that's what I do when I don't want to have any weapon equipped so I can run faster.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    ok im about to buy this, but one thing, is it that buggy on PC ?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Johny wrote: »
    ok im about to buy this, but one thing, is it that buggy on PC ?

If you have a decent PC, buy it for PC! :poly121: I did, and I don't regret it!

I only had one random crash, and so far I have found no bugs whatsoever, I don't understand all the bitching on a couple of forums on the Internets, the game runs completely fine for me!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Holding 'R' will holster your weapons. Reselecting the weapon hotkey only puts it away in the sense that you switch to unarmed.

Accidentally stumbled upon the most awesome thing in combat:

ScreenShot39.jpg

Try waiting for the moment just after a Raider tosses a frag at you, hit VATS, and shoot the grenade. Fun times all round. :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's even more fun, if they're in a tunnel filled full of gas or a hallway filled full of mines. Fun to watch but kind of sad when you think of the caps you lost from disarming all those...
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    can you shoot your own grenade?
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Laser Gatling ... fucking A.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone find the crashed alien space ship yet with the alien dude just laying on the ground?

You get a sweet ass gun from the pile of shit and tons of ammo. Sweet gun and it one shot kills the super mutants and turns them to dust.

You can get the exact same type of gun really early on if you
    don't rat out the head of Rivet city, the cool thing is you can say you won't rat him out, (he gives you his kick ass gun)then talk to him again and get him to tell you to kill Zimmerman, then rat him out, collect your prize and kill Zimmerman.
    . It runs on MicroFusion cells that drop from anyone using laser weapons. I'm not sure the Alien weapon does? Either is a must for dealing with the deathclaws.

And yea Ebagg, the shishkabob rocks made one last night and had a BLAST rushing into combat. Its reach also keeps feral ghouls from being able to attack you. Surprisingly it doesn't light gas on fire until after you hit something with it then that object ignites the gas.

I had a raider who was on fire turn and run into a gas cloud saying "I don't want to die!" KA-BOOM! Really? Could have fooled me...

I also find the pathing kind of ass, its too easy to dance around an object and wait for your AP to build back up while you reload. Pillar, bus stop, you name it, if it sticks out of the ground they can get stuck on it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, I actually got the alien gun way before Rivet city.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really... I haven't found it yet... And I've been exploring the wasteland like crazy but its still a big place. It might be easier for your average Joe to do the Rivet City quest then it is to find a needle in a hay stack hahaha =P

Unless of course your willing to spill the beans?

The Rivet city rifle turns people into green goo, so its easy to use the piles as stash points for over encumbering gear. Super easy to find, they really stand out at night =)
    Marine wrote: »
    can you shoot your own grenade?
    I don't think it comes up as a valid VATS target, which is what you need to be able to shoot it. Otherwise its some pretty amazing luck if you can shoot a grenade just as it leaves someones hand...
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Don't forget: You can shoot fool's grenades before they've even thrown them. If you shoot one in a dude's hand, every time I've done it so far, it results in their delicious, ultra-violent death!
    uly02.jpg
    Beat the game a few nights ago, really enjoyed it overall, and got started on my second playthrough. Overall, I had a few problems with the pacing, (I think Rawkstar mentioned the same thing earlier) and some things with the ending. The good largely outweighed the bad, though. Beth's best game yet, now please get working on that SDK, beth! : ( I'd totally bake you guys a pie.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Anyway, let's drop it(lol, get it?) ;)

Hehehe, good one! Sounds like a plan to me.

LoTekK wrote: »
    Accidentally stumbled upon the most awesome thing in combat:

ScreenShot39.jpg

Try waiting for the moment just after a Raider tosses a frag at you, hit VATS, and shoot the grenade. Fun times all round. :D

Oh damn, son! I seriously cannot wait to try that out. Wonder if it works on the missile launcher as well...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Oh damn, son! I seriously cannot wait to try that out. Wonder if it works on the missile launcher as well...
    I think you can target most weapons and reduce their durability down to 0. When your in VATS it gives you two stats. The % of your chance to hit that part, and the bar that displays that parts health. A few times I've danced around a pillar (or only been able to shoot at the weapon) and waited for the tip of the weapon to show up and shoot at just it. Then switch to melee and save ammo. One or two well placed shots on a weapon trump spending entire clips on body shots.

You if you can rush a missile launcher, you can force them to damage themselves, or switch to melee, either way you win. Its best to hide behind indestructible rubbish and rush while it reloads.

You can also limit the movement of things that are highly mobile by disabling their legs. Helpful for things with tiny heads but big limbs, or heavily armored robots.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig I'll find it again tonight and post the location in a make shift map. I'm playing on 360 so it's a bit harder but I'll do my best
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you can give me a rough location or the name of a town its in or by, that's fine. Its probably in a spot I haven't explored, I'm guessing North top, middle, or South bottom middle....
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, I usually go for head shots, even on armored foes. I'll occasionally go for a limb, but rarely go for the weapons as I like to use them for repairing the ones I've got. Shooting the legs is a pretty good idea, too.

Oh yah, I *just* figured out yesterday that the left trigger does a zoom mode on weapons. Managed to blow the head off a feral ghoul with the scoped .44, and popped the skulls of a full squad of Super Mutants with just the hunting rifle, all without using VATS. Love it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    its just north of the power station, about the same distance as the power station is from minefield (station is north of minefield). you get a radio signal when you're near..
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got a sniper rifle and the shishkebab, only part of the main quest I've done was talking to people in megaton, each time I go off on a quest I end up even more quests. I liked having to the find the random crap used to make the shishkebab once I got the schematic. Scavenging for those everyday parts in a post-apocalyptic land just felt right, and all the parts were in places that made sense.