Home General Discussion

Fallout 3

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    oh god, I suck at aiming guns in video games...
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I was trying to go through as a goody two shoes, however, there have been SO many places where I'm just like 'I'd rather just blow that motherfuckers head off right now' that I need to start a new character. that, and I haven't been completely happy with my skill choices.

Yeah I think I've made the same mistake with my character. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much alternative to combat in this game.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Dude speech goes a long long way...I've talked my way in and out of a few placces...and I steal when there is no one around and my Karma is still at Dignitary....I've lied to that MOria chick about her book quests...you have to choose some form of combat though...else there wouldnt be much of a game
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    Dude speech goes a long long way...I've talked my way in and out of a few placces...and I steal when there is no one around and my Karma is still at Dignitary....I've lied to that MOria chick about her book quests...you have to choose some form of combat though...else there wouldnt be much of a game

That is true when you are dealing with people in the various settlements but out in the wasteland or in the city underground most things attack you.

The thing that irks me is that you have to travel through these areas and put up with being attacked. I thought the whole point of an RPG was that you could find ways to avoid fighting if that is your preferred play style.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    So I finished the game. The main story Arc or quest line was really short, in comparison to Oblivion. The whole game just felt like 1/4 of Oblivion. Some really cool stuff though, it was an all right game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    That is true when you are dealing with people in the various settlements but out in the wasteland or in the city underground most things attack you.

The thing that irks me is that you have to travel through these areas and put up with being attacked. I thought the whole point of an RPG was that you could find ways to avoid fighting if that is your preferred play style.

If you want to avoid fighting just settle down in megaton and spend all the time decorating your house, pansy! As for me, I go down to the bar, get drunk and wail on people with my brass nucks!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I've been playing close to ten hours total, and the farthest I've gotten with the main story is finishing talking to that jackass bartender in Megaton. This is with using the map-teleport as much I can.

Oh yah, and... "Fucking fire ants". :D
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn... now I feel bad. I told Red I'd be sure to protect everyone in Big Town, went away for a while, and when I map-teleported back a few days later, everyone's dead and a big wave of Super Muties were tearing the place up. I swear, I'm gonna rip every Super Mutie I see an superfluous asshole from here on out.

On the flip side, I've apparently pissed off enough people by being a goody two-shoe that I just got attacked by my second group of bounty hunters. Those guys are good for two things: new guns, and new armor. :D
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to avoid fighting just settle down in megaton and spend all the time decorating your house, pansy! As for me, I go down to the bar, get drunk and wail on people with my brass nucks!

LOL. I want to finish the story dammit! :)
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    25 hours in, and it's still fun. combat shotgun beats all, except fatman
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what's making this game even more interesting than it already is for me is talking to people about how they handled situations differently, and also what random encounters and outcomes are doing for them.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I powered up a radio-tower on my way to the land-mine quest and it said I discovered broadcast yankee-bravo (or something to that effect). The station only broadcasts creepy heavy breathing, what's that all about?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    thought i'd saved big town, went back to visit and there was a bunch of super mutants there instead :(
    should have stayed and helped out
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Along the lines of what flaagan was saying, something that I'm finding pretty neat is that the combinations of weapons/skills that are doing it for me, are completely different to other people - I'm completely owning bad guys with sneak attack critical headshots using the laser pistol, and everyone else I talk to says the laser pistol is rubbish :)

I guess with the right combination of skills, perks and equipment, any tactics or different playing styles will "work".

Also there are a lot of elements so far that are reminding me of the first Deus Ex game, which is never a bad thing.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah the Fireants suck....if you eat the fire nectar you loot off of them though it really takes the steam out of their fire atack...I just finished the whole grayditch story arc...cleaning out Marigold station..yeah COmbat shotgun is awesome at close range....I still havnt touched the main stoty yet either....GNR radio has started talking about me ..calling the Ranger of the Wastes....I thought that was really cool...plus everyone in Megaton gives me gifts when I come home to my pad..and my robot Butler...Still havnt ran into the Brootherhood ..or The Enclave...although did read a journal of a man from the west coast Enclave..... THe Thing I am really enjoying are the hidden quests inside quests....Like I found a recording of a man who says you have to deliver the package...found the safe where it is ...just need to find the key....
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I powered up a radio-tower on my way to the land-mine quest and it said I discovered broadcast yankee-bravo (or something to that effect). The station only broadcasts creepy heavy breathing, what's that all about?

That's just bob in his bunker, being creepy.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    you can re-map the key for pip boy, but you can't remap the key to get *out of pip boy. its always tab.
    lame!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    you can re-map the key for pip boy, but you can't remap the key to get *out of pip boy. its always tab.
    lame!

You can use f1, f2 and f3 to toggle the three modes, but yes, that is annoying. Maybe someone will find a way to edit it... there are already like 3 different UI mods, to increase the number of chat/inventory lines displayed.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I re-rolled my melee character because melee really isn't very much fun - it's not hard, since you can run around with a million stimpacks since you can sell all your ammo, but it's not very engaging, and stealth is much too difficult to make being a ninja very viable, imho. At least early on. It might be fun for a gimmick build some time.

I'm playing a small arms guy and liking it a lot more now. Unfortunately I CTD every 2 hours or so, and every 30 minutes or so if I listen to the radio. Makes it pretty bothersome to play.

Being an asshole in this game is a lot more fun than playing it nice, too. After getting bored of the quests in megaton with my ninja character, my re-roll just said fuck it and killed everyone :)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Ghost: I get the same CTD w/ no error most times frequently, and yeah...the radio kills my performance. So does being in proximity to brotherhood outcasts. For some reason, being in range of the audio for those guys just brings my system to its knees.

I'm playing through goody two shoes now, and will re-go as captain assface upon completion.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm playing through goody two shoes now, and will re-go as captain assface upon completion.

Heh, funny how many games I do that with. Doing it with fable 2 (as I did with the first one), doing it with fallout, etc etc. Kinda feel like if I'm nice to everyone the first time around, I wont feel as bad being a jackass the second go around. Also, playing the good guy always seems to reveal your bad-guy options in games so much better than just playing outright as an a-hole. :D!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I just met Button Gwinnett. Haha!

Also, there's a perk called "Mr Sandman", I guess it lets you kill people as they sleep...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I haven't had much time for the game with Halloween and all, last night I was wandering along trying to find the brother from that family with the dead parents, ran into my first super mutant! Out of nowhere he runs at me tossing a nade, then rushing me with a wood plank with nails. But I gibbed him with two grenades. Man VATS makes tossing grenades around too easy and sooo fun to watch the results!

So if I take some of the fire ant nectar then maybe I can just melee those fire ants to death? That'd be sweet, the warriors take a lot of bullets to go down!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    so 6 hours later and I am liking Fallout 3, I may have to buy it. I was afraid that it was going to be like oblivion which I found incredibly boring.

**spoiler**

I think I screwed up a quest though, in the bomb town, I took the sheriff to the strange man, there was a gun fight and now both are dead :( and I cannot diffuse the bomb, cause my skill isn't enough. I should of saved the game prior to initiating this event :(

**end spolier **
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    I cannot diffuse the bomb, cause my skill isn't enough.

To do anything with the bomb, grab some mentats and munch on them, makes working on pretty much anything like that within your reach.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Loving this game! I wanted to quickly do a small quest before going shopping last weekend, so I did that 'deliver the letter' from lucy... before I knew it I was playing for 4 hours and all the shops were closed! I have only done 2 side quest and Im already 10 hours into the game, awesome!!!
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    MoP wrote: »
    I just met Button Gwinnett. Haha!

Also, there's a perk called "Mr Sandman", I guess it lets you kill people as they sleep...

Yeah, I met the guy yesterday, I burst into the room minigun at the ready then I see him and was like :poly115: then :D!

And when he starts talking it`s even funnier,
    askd him for directions to the library and he warned me about the redcoats hiding near the farm or something
    lol (see, lol is not a spoiler)

There are some weird characters in the game :)

Only thing missing is the shadows...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After spending the weekend playing it, I'm pretty hooked. I've been avoiding the main quest line and exploring and doing side quests.

I've run into a few crash bugs, mostly when loading a zone in quick travel. Which is annoying but hardly crippling thanks to abundant quick and auto saves.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think I screwed up a quest though, in the bomb town, I took the sheriff to the strange man, there was a gun fight and now both are dead and I cannot diffuse the bomb, cause my skill isn't enough. I should of saved the game prior to initiating this event
    I just flirted with the strange man until he went away.

Be careful when you're out exploring, particularly when you're doing Moira's quests as the main campaign is farily easy to break by talking to the wrong people. You'll still be able to finish, you just won't know what the hell is going on. Once that happens theres really only one thing left to do.
    moiraii7.jpg
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Got to say the game is kinda growing on me, its still not AS good as the original two but its still a very good game. Will probably play through this one unlike Oblivion.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where the hell does this game save it's screenshots?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin: somewhere in your My Documents?

I know Oblivion had a directory in there for savegames and settings, so maybe Fallout 3 does too.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    It's in the root Fallout3 folder inside your Program Files.
    ScreenShot0.jpg
    This game is pretty freakin' cool. Can't wait for the SDK.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    how can you reach that far?!
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    ...Third person camera?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hahah, i thought you were looking at a raider who was sitting at a desk!
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Nah. : ) That was the lowest angle I could get from the camera before it collided with the chair and gave me a weird look of the wasteland from inside my character. Wish I knew the debug for a ghost cam, cause there's some really cool shots in the game.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    guh i keep getting more evil from stealing stuff that belonged to people who are dead. hows that stealing?? its recycling.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Uly wrote: »
    Nah. : ) That was the lowest angle I could get from the camera before it collided with the chair and gave me a weird look of the wasteland from inside my character. Wish I knew the debug for a ghost cam, cause there's some really cool shots in the game.

"tfc" toggles the free camera and "tm" toggles the HUD. both nice little commands from the console.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the power fist and combat shotgun.
    I also found a Victory Rifle some place, looks exactly like the regular sniper rifle. Anyone know what the story is on it?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    rooster wrote: »
    guh i keep getting more evil from stealing stuff that belonged to people who are dead. hows that stealing?? its recycling.

Haha yea I was wondering about that myself last night, I killed The Family, they were pretty tough. Turns out I shouldn't have immediately opened fire at the guard at the gate....oh well. Loving the shishkebab!

Disarming the bomb definitely has a great reward! Now to see how the religious folks worshiping it feel about that...

Anyone else make the mistake of walking into Megaton's Armory???
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Gawwwd this game is fun. Such a shame Gears of War 2 is coming out this Friday, because it's gonna eat into my Fallout 3 time this weekend.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Victory Rifle is probably a unique weapon-- I found one too. A Chinese pistol that lights dudes on fire.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    Anyone else make the mistake of walking into Megaton's Armory???
    OooOoo whats in there?

I killed the guy that wanted me to blow up the bomb, and nothing happened. So I saved and killed the saloon owner, and the town went ape. I'll have to try picking the lock on the armory next...
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Witness the harsh realities of nuclear fallout rendered like never before in modern super-deluxe HD graphics.

haha super deluxe! Ok starting to play my copy now, have been waiting for me since friday....

cool people seem to really enjoy it!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    just done the tenpenny tower story...
    I overran the place with ghouls... theres some lucrative salvaging to be done if you take that route.. plus its very fun to see them in action ruining the place..
    loved it
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just realized that I told Burke to get the F outta town, without realizing that it's his house down by the bomb... and it's got a 100 lockpicking skill to get in.... DOH! Any creative ways of getting in there?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Flaagan: There's not anything of too much value in there, nothing you can't find in some of the mildly rough regions of the wastes, so don't sweat it. I do, however, recommend raising both your lockpicking and science to 100 asap. They're super useful, and you get a lot of XP out of them as well.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to know, though rifling through other people's stuff when I can is always nice, and I kind of wanted to see Burke and the sheriff go at it after hearing about that. I've been bumping up those skills for sure, not to mention I'm adding XP at a pretty good rate from disarming landmines and trip bombs, and then getting good use out of having so many on hand (for $ and killin).
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I bought this for the PC since my Xbox DVD motor just crapped out a bit ago. It went from a shitty but playable framerate on all low settings to total dogshit. My performance was bad, but it suddenly just became unplayable. Im getting like, .5fps now. I guess thats what I get for installing a game where I'm barely meeting the min spec.