Home General Discussion

Fallout 3

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Escaped the Vault during my lunch break; having a blast so far with it. This is gonna be fun~!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I still have my reservations but all the reviews so far point to awesomeness despite some horrible videos being released recently.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    THE F TRIFECTA IS IN FULL EFFECT!

(Fable, Fallout, Far Cry)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Preordered the collector's edition today. Not out for another few days here in the UK.
    Judging by the metacritic rating, it's doing very well.

As I expected, it seems like for people who liked Morrowind and Oblivion, Fallout 3 will be just as good, if not better!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Where did you preorder from MoP? The standard collector's edition here has the lunchbox, making of DVD and Pip-boy bobble head. GAME has an exclusive edition where you get a Brotherhood of Steel minature (pre-ordred that one myself).

http://www.game.co.uk/PC/RolePlaying/~r336336/Fallout-3-GAME-Exclusive-Limited-Edition/?s=Fallout%203%20-%20GAME%20Exclusive%20Limited%20Edition

It says due to the weight of the item they won't ship outside the UK.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Steam didn't allow preloading, so I did it during the day. Now? TWO HOURS of "updating" - wtfz
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna rent it first incase I don't enjoy it. I didn't like oblivion, but I really liked Mass Effect.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks pretty neat so far, hahah liam neeson as the dad has a fitting voice.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And Malcolm McDowell is the president :) Found that quite amusing after seeing him in Heroes lately.

In any case, I'm loving the game so far. Very fun.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The VATS attack camera shit is awesome. I'm looking around for Galaxy Radio at the moment.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    I like this game.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta say, for all the "OMG LOOKS LIKE CRAP!!1one!" posts on here, environment and characters look pretty good so far.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone playing it on the PC?

I'm wondering if it suffers from the console-controls-stuck-on-a-keyboard syndrome that Oblivion's interface was crippled by and that's a bit of a deal-breaker for me, anyone know?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, even if it does, it took like 2 days from release for a bunch of modders to release a PC-friendly GUI and improved controls for Oblivion, I imagine they'd do the same for F3 if it even has that same problem. I haven't heard any negative comments about the PC UI yet, so maybe it's better this time.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm playing on the PC. The controls seem fine to me. You can assign keyboard/mouse keys to what you want.

The only thing that's console-ish is the Windows LIVE functions of the game (at least for Vista) that actually show the 360's A B X Y buttons in the menu :P
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    wait does the PC one have an editor like oblivion did?

oh crap, maybe I should get this on PC just for all the possible player mods. I've yet to try the spruced up oblivion either. it's just in my mind as a console game for some reason, I'm very comfortable playing it on 360.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    man....i dunno yet. i loved oblivion. but i was hoping they would fix more problems and jankiness in their engine for fallout. i'm sure i'll love it.....but it's gonna take some time. it's tough going from far cry 2 to this game....
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »

It doesn't yet. But they have mentioned that they will be releasing one. I hope so, as that and DLC is the only reason I am getting it PC and not for my PS3. AH I WANT THIS GAME NOW!
  • spyrewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

AWESOME news, because anything Bethesda broke or changed, the fans now have the ability to fix or revert.

the cool thing about this is my Oblivion is nothing like the original game now, i have modded it so hard and fixed all the things that annoyed me it feels like a totally different game, its these tools alone that keep the game fresh, .....hell I'm still plodding along with oblivion.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    My wife got this for me last night, to my surprise. I THINK I'll have to put it on hold until I defeat Fable2 as balancing the two of them might make my head implode.

I loved the older Fallout games, actually played the 2nd one till it shattered in my cd drive. The 3rd one seems fun, I played up until getting out of the vault. What beefs I have are more or less the same ones as I had with Oblivion, the character art is meh, animations are kind of wonky and the inventory menus kill my eyes. I ended up changing the PiP-boy colours because the green was hard for me to make out. Using White text improved it 89.6% for me.

I also started playing late at night...I don't think I was in the mind set to create a character so I might do it over...or just look deeper into my stats.

But yeah, looks awesome...targeting system is rad, lol Jet, etc. I think I'm just going to have to put it on hold (Or Fable on hold..) as I can't juggle 2 in depth games and still have a job :)
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Congrats Gavimage on the kickass wife!
    I played it lost 3 hours of my life, didn't eat drink or cig at all, this may be my way of quiting smoking.

Playing it on the ps3 so I don't know if this is an issue with all versions, but the environment gets in the way a lot with the vats system, and only in that I wanna see all the action happen, maybe I should just adjust my play system and not hug walls like a bitch.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Is anyone else pissed off that us Europeans keep getting games later than the US? Little Big Planet is made in the UK for christ sakes! Maybe its just me.

Edit: Oh, the humanity!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    to fallout 2 fans : does the game maintain its dark humour and has side quests that are retarded in 10000 ways , and the dialogs etc ?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Is anyone else pissed off that us Europeans keep getting games later than the US? Little Big Planet is made in the UK for christ sakes! Maybe its just me.

To be honest, a few days doesn't bother me at all as I never purchase a game on the day of release anyway.
    However, it's delays like Silent Hill's 4 months worth is beyond ridiculous.

Spent my cash on deadspace so it's gonna be a long while before I can pick up this and GoW2 :(
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17

Yeah i'm pissed off. I ordered it some days ago and the "expected date" keeps getting pushed back more and more where i ordered it ( now at the 31st, yeah right ). Lovely.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Johny wrote: »
    to fallout 2 fans : does the game maintain its dark humour and has side quests that are retarded in 10000 ways , and the dialogs etc ?

No it doesnt, sorry. Its more Oblivion then it is Fallout 1-2, still a pretty good game tho, just not AS fun as the original two.
  • Joao Sapiro
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=577.0

found this kinda funny :P The guy might be abit overly sceptical but he does have a point :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like fun. icon_smile.gif I am downloading the game right now.
    Something tells me that's not through steam...
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I'd ordered the collector's edition (lunchbox with bobble head) then cancelled it when I saw the brotherhood of steel figure edition. Before my order was cancelled the other shop sent the order, so I've now got both. Have to say I'm not impressed with the brotherhood of steel figure, I think the lunchbox edition is much better. Though the figure would be like the bioshock one, but it's smaller, boring pose (ie. just standing straight) and didn't seem great quality (from my view through the plastic anyway).

Now to install the game and send one of them back.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    just finished the Family quest last night, and wow, I already want to start a new character because of all the possibilities in terms of ways to complete quests. There's like four other routes I could've taken and I'm really interested in seeing where they would have led. same with a bunch of other quests I took so far. Crazy!

also, if you guys help the supply chick out with the radiation quest - do yourself a favor and do the optional part as well. it's worth it.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    the iron tower people ie (the NMA bunch) are expecting Shakespeare, i think the dialogue system is good, and WAY better than the Oblivion "search engine", i think it looks pretty good, its relative to how good fallouts 1 and 2 looked at the time, which was... good enough for it to not be a distraction.

One thing i do agree with them on though, and something that IS kind of bothering me is that... you literally go from shooting roaches to killing supermutants in the course of 15-20 minutes, there's no buildup, and things are hardly scarce... you can LITERALLY loot the power armor off of a dead brotherhood of steel guy laying on the ground... i mean... wtf!? aren't u supposed to covet that for like half the game and then feel like u've achieved something when u get it? unless there's some super duper mech power armor that puts the regular one to shame...
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Thats a shame since Fallout was all about character/armament progression. I will pick it up, but one thing that bothers me is that I haven't seen much representation of some location and environment types from the previous games, such as Reno in Fallout 2.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Well, I picked up the BOS armor, but cannot use it until I get powerarmor training.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is better then Oblivion but not close to some of the best RPGs out there like BG1-2, Fallout 1-2, Planescape: Torment, KOTOR and Mass Effect. I really dont feel like they have managed to capture much of what was good with Fallout and its basically a better version of oblivion in a post apoc setting with some fallout names thrown in.

It doesnt make it a bad game but it IS seriously lacking in writing if you ask me. It really annoys me that they have totally changed the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system so much. It was imo the best rulesystem to this date in computer RPGs and the way you made your character really changed the way you played the game. Almost all of your stats had an impact on dialog choices but in F3 nothing has a negative effect on your dialog and int/cha/str gives you some extra dialog options.

It just annoys me because i really think that fallout1/2 with modern day graphics would easy have been the best game for many many years.

Visually they have some really awesome looking environments but i keep wishing they had a cooler engine with some decent lighting and such because then just walking around in this cool setting would be worth the price of the game :)

Anyone know what the original Interplay/Troika writers are doing these days? Still in the industry?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Well, a lot of them are over at Obsidian entertainment. That's the only real collection of them that I know of, the rest of them seem to be scattered here and there.

Make sure you're not looking through rose coloured glasses though, there was a ton of redundant shit on some of those rule systems. I've been playing Fallout 1 for a few days, after not having played it for years, and a lot of the skills aren't pertinent to the actual game. Many could have been rolled into the more practical ones rather than having these throwaway skills that just make you feel regret after you've pumped a point into them.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    Tim Cain is now design director at Carbine making some kind of mmo
    Leonard Boyarsky is a story/lore designer at Blizzard on diablo 3
    Jason Anderson quit games and became a real estate agent, but was brought back by Herve Caen of Interplay to spearhead the development of Fallout MMO (F.O.O.L)

and the rest i guess ended up at obsidian, i bet a bit of googling would yield some results, but i don't think any of them were involved with Fallout 3's development.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the story/quest/dialog programmers are fucking geniuses ( from fallout 1 and 2 of course )
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I just picked it up tonight and have been playing until now (nearly 2am). Fucking addictive, just exploring the Wastes is fun, and eerie at the same time, one moment I'll be jogging through a field then suddenly some mutant creature will be chasing me down! I really like the open environment, I had a lot of fun with STALKER so this game is really fun!

I've noticed a few bugs, mostly just the game has had hiccups a few times in the 4 or so hours I've played it. Then when I quit out, it gives me an error message...hope they patch that, otherwise the game runs perfectly, got the details cranked to high and its running smooth. The character art... well the humans aren't horrible, they just all look the same, and are obviously based all on the template mesh like your character, leaving not much variety.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly the more I hear about Fallout 3 the more it sounds like a fan game/tribute. Im hoping that I am wrong in this assumption.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game is great, stop reading shit. It's fun.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    All I know, is that after Rawkstar brought in the Fallout 3 artbook that comes with the collectors edition, that alone is worth buying this game. Just have to find the time to dedicate to a game like this.

Spark
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Watched some people in the office playing the start today. It looked really fun!

Also, my collector's edition arrived this morning - it's awesome!
    The art book, while small, is really detailed and has a lot of cool stuff and nice art in it.
    The bobble head is fun, it's on my desk now. And the tin lunch box is pretty cool, although the handle is really too small to be able to pick it up comfortably by the handle.

My flatmate got the GAME special edition (just the regular PC DVD, plus a Brotherhood of Steel figurine) ... however I think the bobble head is way cooler, the brotherhood figure is really badly painted and very stiff-looking (plus there's visible glue around the bottom, pretty cheap).

The collectors box is great though, now I just have to wait for work to finish so I can play this all weekend :D
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I didnt think I was going to like...wasnt a huge oblivion fan...but it kept me up till 2 in the morning... its fun stuff...the fallout universe is just a blast to mess around in....4 stinky odors out of 5
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The jury is still out this side. I've been playing it for a few hours but to be honest it isn't grabbing me yet. Will keep going and give it a good chance though.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    The jury is still out this side. I've been playing it for a few hours but to be honest it isn't grabbing me yet. Will keep going and give it a good chance though.

That's how I felt the first time I played it, found the main quest to be slightly boring in the beginning. However, I started the game again and instead of going to megaton I just explored the world...and only then did I start getting hooked
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, haha, if I play this game like I played Morrowind and Oblivion (both of which were a lot of fun), I will completely ignore the main quest while going off and exploring all sorts of weird places either on my own or on side-quests.

One of the great things I always enjoyed about Morrowind and Oblivion were that you could play the game for the 5th time and find places you'd never heard of before which were new and interesting. Plus talking about it with friends who have played it really shows the depth and variety every player gets by making their own choices.

Personally I am really liking the VATS system for combat so far. I don't use it all the time, and to be honest when I saw it in the trailers I was a bit dubious, but if you time it right, you can get some great slow-mo camera angles of awesome kills... try waiting until the last second before a fast-moving attack critter jumps at you, then aim at the head with a magnum (providing you already took it down to low health) ... you will be rewarded with your character standing like a badass watching a creature jump at his/her throat, and at the last second blast its head clean off, from a cinematic camera angle. So much fun! :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I was trying to go through as a goody two shoes, however, there have been SO many places where I'm just like 'I'd rather just blow that motherfuckers head off right now' that I need to start a new character. that, and I haven't been completely happy with my skill choices.

I'm excited to see all the different routes this character will take in regards to the few quests I've done so far. There's so many possibilities!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been 'ignoring' the main quest and doing side quests for people. Gotta say, I'm rather impressed. The whole "The Family" mission had a rather cool turnout that I never expected, and would not have seen if I hadn't been playing as a good guy (my character looks like Jesus already in the little charisma / karma status). Exploring has also already netted me a rather healthy set of weapons, including a missile launcher, and I've already been attacked once by the hitman squad. I'm really digging this game.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    fuck, my new character is already a complete bad ass, but the game keeps freezing on me and it's really throwing me off. ugh.