Home General Discussion

Fallout 3

Replies

• Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i've been trying to find a capture of that loading screen where it says "courage today, victory tomorrow" with the power armor troop holding the flag, but i'm on xbox so i can't take one myself. can anyone help me out?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    what the bloody hell?

started playing this the other day. Vaguely poking at side missions, vaguely poking (or so i thought) at the main quest. Was really starting to enjoy it as i got really good at small guns combat, happily sneaking up and blowing heads off everyone before they knew i was there. And then i realised i was not only racing up the difficulty curve as skipping it all together, and when fawkes turns up largely all need for combat dissapears. Never mind though eh? I'm clearly only about a quarter of the way through the main quest, it's going to get infinitely harder than this. Right? And while i'm struggling with that, i can skip off instead and explore the enormous landscape and play a million missions and collect everything thats there to be collected, and level up like a bastard and plough back into the super-hard main quest. Yeah?

Yeah

fucker just ENDED. Just like that. Level 12. About 16 hours in. Breezed through what i would never have imagined being the final quest while not really concentrating. Lots of explosions done for me. Blinked. Story over. Something about water. What? Reload last save game. What?

Ah, a whole world to be explored, off the back of a retrospective save just before the final story quest. Loads of other missions, tons of locations. I'm sure it's rock hard in places, and a giggle and a half. Must be surely. Do i want to? Maybe. One day. Not now. Right NOW i'm deeply fucked off with the retarded flow through the half-baked weak-arsed FLID of a story.

Godammit. They've broken my sandbox! Twats.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a main quest line?
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    just beat the game only did the main quest pretty fun imma revert to a previous save and explore the world!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I my xbox just broke so I think I'm going to go back to this game on pc. I haven't done the last quest of the main story line because I've been doing all the side quests first. But it is a very good game. :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    There was a main quest line?

Anything that was related to finding your father or "project purity" was the main quest line.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone messed with the G.E.C.K. yet? I've been meaning to look into it, but I'm learning the Source Engine right now and didn't want to tackle both. Any impressions?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Talbot wrote: »
    I haven't done the last quest of the main story line because I've been doing all the side quests first.

nor would i, if i had the slightest inkling that that WAS the last quest. No build up, no crescendo, no attempt to get you back and caring into a storyline that's fractured by the very nature of the game. Just comes out of nowhere, requires no effort whatsoever, and rolls the credits for you.

Even something as simple and hacky as "come back when you're level 20" would have been better - and even better would be to keep up hints as to the main plot as you worked through the world building up your power (other than that cocking annoying radio which i switched off about 2 hours in)

and i know the game is still there to be done. It's just had the impetus sucked right out of it.

boo hiss
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I'm 35 hours in and I haven't really touched the main quest yet. I did the same in Oblivion (100 hours in) although when it came to doing the main quest the broken levelling system made it nigh on impossible for me :( Fallouts working much better for me in that respect. I'll probably be way over powered at the end.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I really got the feeling though that the main "storyline quest" was there simply for the general audience, who are used to picking up a game, it has a story, they lead you through it, and you're done in some 8-12 hours. I'm not even done with it yet, but all of the side quests, and exploration seem a lot more thought out and filled in. I plan on doing another few playthroughs creating my own story for the character as I go, and only proceeding with the main storyline as needed (like to get power armor).

The conversation you have with John Henry Eden broke the main storyline for me though. It reeked of "We're not giving you the options you'd want to take to resolve this in any other manner than the way we planned for you to."
    I mean, I get an option to convince him to kill himself (where did this come from exactly? Who'd actually bring this up as a likely scenario anyway), but not to convince him that killing a large swathe of the Wasteland inhabitants with the modified FEV would be un-American...ie. violating that whole right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness deal. I mean if I can convince him to kill himself simply because he's a computer or whatever, then what I stated seems entirely plausible.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    On a completely unrelated note, I used my IAAS vote on Fallout 3 as GOTY.

XD
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i thought it was pretty obvious that the last quest was coming up when whats her face of lyons pride gave you the option of doing the mission or finishing up other things first.
  • Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else not get a booklet?
    THe dude at the counter said "hmm, no booklet" then just proceeded to complete the process of my purchase. SO I though, no biggie theres probably a .pdf file on the DVD, right.
    Well either Im blind or there is no pdf/txt file on the DVD and I didnt get a booklet.
    So is there a booklet for this great game?
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    as in a manual? Yes, there is.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLC!!!!

Anyone checked it out?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Talbot wrote: »
    DLC!!!!

Anyone checked it out?

Its ehh. Operation Anchorage is kinda fun, but it doesn't have any replay value. As in you can't go back in the simulator once you're done, and unless you want to get into the armory on another character, you've seen everything there is to see, and done everything there is to do in one playthrough. I don't regret the $10 spent, because compared to a movie its a bit more than 2-3 hours of decent entertainment...but its ok...not great, not bad...just ok.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I think I have hit a bug, and judging by what you guys say here, right at the end!

The big robot won't sap the energy gate at the start of the final mission! It blows up the copter and then stands still! Anyone know of a fix for this? I'm on the PS3 version...:(
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    the ps3 version has just crashed AGAIN. I'm not exaggerating, that's the SIXTH time today. How this got past sony, i have no idea

(and yes that does mean i'm playing it again. 5 more minutes, once it's rebooted, and i'll hit lvl20 and just stop)
  • narutozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ´where is the picture?please,pass me the link.thanks