Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Spark - Void

Replies

• Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guy's thanks for the reply's, so many good work coming out of this war that I am just happy that I can count myself amongst the competitors!

Vahl: Thankyou my friend, was a fun experience, and yours is fantastic
    Foreverendering: Preciate it, your work was inspiring to see, and I was going to ask you the same question:)
    Spug: Hahah, fight on!
    Audi100: Hopefully somewhere in the top 50 would be nice.
    Rollin: Yeah I agree, rendering is something I need to really work on..so hard to know how to do that right.
    Rens: Yeah, the sculpting I had fun on, and the texture fought against me...would like to take a second swing at it when I get my breath.
    Katzeimsack: I double checked with Fred on this, he stated that for the beauty shot the Marmoset engine was ok to use ( which it is an in game engine, so suprised if it will be an issue) Thanks for the heads up though:)
    MoP: Yeah kept trying to pump up the colors, but didn't look right to me for some reason, wanted him dead like the life and color are all gone from him and the area...guess I overdid it some:)
    Clee101: Thanks Clee, I will get a closeup soon and show the details I did on the face, and I did have a darker background which I thought I was submitting, but grabbed the wrong one for submission:) doh!
    Supervlieg: Thanks man, I will post in here soon:)
    Ged: Seriously thinking about making this guy into an sdk and letting people texture him and render, see what he would look like. As I did lose alot of information in the render which for me is my weakest area out of all my strengths.
    Illusions/Stalsby: :) Thankyou
    Asmuel: Thanks for being honest, it was a little rushed ( as a new family became more of the priority, though my wife is the best and let me work alot ) But nonetheless taking the highpoly information (50 million polys) to the lowpoly (8999 polys) is something that I needed to concentrate more time on.
    Cheez: Like I said the wife is the greatest ( though she detests Dominance war with a vengeance:)) On the beauty shot, they were a paintover, as I couldn't figure out how to show them like I envisioned. I will go back and do another beauty shot and push it more.
    Foreverendering: Thanks for the clarification, would have been sad if I had to drop out.
    Asmuel: Thanks man, and yeah both me and Vahl had a slight scare on that one:P
    Vahl: Hahah, and is still on the front page of Polycount as I write this...a year later!
    Lee3dee: Any animators interested?..crickets..hahah that would be cool.
    Xaltar: I did that sunday and will be doing that alot more for sure, thanks Xaltar.
    RazorBladder: Your welcome, and thanks for the fine compliment..I do hope that everything is taken into account this year ( Concept-Completion) as last year it felt like it was just the beauty shot that was important, especially since some didn't even do a high poly. Not to complain, just think that everyone spends time throughout the process of creating a character for the war, so it should all be valued.....stepping down from the soap box now:P
    Spacemonkey: Hahha, I have no clue, alot of loss of sleep. So glad it's done though.
    Levus: That it is, cold on cold is always an uphill battle..wish I was better at that:)

Thanks again for looking guy's, and the awesome critiques and compliments!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Just a reminder to submit a picture of your character to be included in the Polycount DWIII poster:
    http://boards.polycount.net/announcement.php?f=41
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Congrats on finishing your entry! It looks really awesome! Now you can finally spend time with your new son, and you should thank him, if it wasnt for him you probably wouldnt have come up with this idea!
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Just wanted to throw in a congrats as well. :) Been following this entry since the first sketches. Georgeous concept work and stunning sculpt.

Well done sir. :)
  • georgemancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great concept and great execution.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Grats Spark. Real pleasure to watch this one!
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    cool work Spark, the highres stuff is particularly gnarly!
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pure awesomeness!
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was fun watching this one start to finish though I wish you had posted some wip's of the texturing progress for crits. Like others have said all the hi poly detail from the normal map is pretty much non existent. I wish that we could see more of the fetus' in the jars too! They are almost completely lost. The pose is very cinematic and captures the "character" of your model well though the lighting could be more dramatic, maybe a strong rim light coming from the molten pool below and a brighter fill light from the front to really make those specular highlights pop out. On your winning pose shot you've got a gray stroke running along the alpha from his cloth too :P

Overall I think this piece is excellent and would be worth revisiting and rendering out some nice hi res images in mental ray.

Thanks again for all your hard work!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey man, looking pretty cool ! i agree that the modeling is speechless , but you kinda lost the details with the texture, but its tricky in these situations :) keep at it !

toolbag ftw!
  • Minimoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont forget to keep updating. you said you where gonna fix some of the problems you had with this model.... like the glowing sac for instance. whenever you have time, we'd love to see progress :)