Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Spark - Void

Replies

• Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Haha glad this is creeping you guys out, I will even try to push it further:) Here is the skeleton base that I am almost ready to pull into zbrush, just have a foot to finish, but have to get out of here to teach in a bit. Any further crits are welcomed, and SEKNeox, he was skinnier but alot of people felt he needed to be bulkier, so I might continue to play with that. Thanks for looking guys.

Spark

skeleton_base.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    have i missed something.. where is this one going to end??

the rip-cage is a bit long.. or?! (to the front)

and do you know the meaning of the word .... mad .... ? tongue.gif
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    Hey buddy,

Been meaning to tell you how much I'm digging this, awesome work. Such a detailed character, it's gonna make for a heck of a finished character.

Where's the skeleton going? like rollin said, everything looks good cept for the depth (z-axis) of the ribcage.

I love the staff, the organic pouch thing is awesome, very inspired design - you've really mastered the takeya meets kenneth scott style.

The baby looks pretty solid, I'd definitely pay careful attention to the hands, they looks pretty flat and the fingers are looking pretty tubular. Also, I'd either make the feet bigger, or shrink down the head, cause right now his toes are smaller then his teeth, which strikes me as weird. Overall, the head feels like that of a grown human, both in terms of proportions and surface detail, his face looks very aged for a fetus - but I guess that goes along with being a demonic-monster - I''d at least think about chubbying up the cheeks a bit. and maybe toning down and softening some of the muscle definition and tendon striations.

The torso/head is badass, I dig the armor, both the shape and finishing. I agree he looks a bit heavy & muscled. Somehow I'd expect him to be a bit more emaciated, especially through the belly. It would also be cool if you thinned out the arms, making them spindley and spidery, with big thick swollen elbow joints.

anyway, looking forward to the next update. keep it up man.

-K.
  • stalsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the direction you're going with this! Some claws would be a nice asset to kick it up a notch as Rick suggested! Pointy ones though! Ones that could rip through flesh! u know!

Also Maybe some kind of forearm gear/armor.

Class was a fun experience! Thanks for the opportunity! I learned a lot of essentials!
  • Red Republik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow you really like to take on alot each year. i am confused about the skeleton too. i didn't see one in your sketch. is it for the base? anyway good luck with the poly and texture budget. muahahahaha!
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    yeah lookin awesome, but that ribcage is a foot and half out from his spine. I think the height is right, just too far forward and a tad wide. Lookin great on the sculpt!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Another update, and sorry for the confusion guys:) The skeleton is for his back, trying to give him more of a necromancer feel, and thought it would make a good postive/negative element. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate you stopping by to give feedback, so helping me continue on it.

Spark
    void_update_01.jpg
    Rollin: Haha, I am not sure where it will end, but hopefully somewhere halfway decent:)
    Kolby: Thanks alot man, really appreciate you stopping by and giving me your input. I tweaked the skeleton and finally got him placed in his spot, and the other skeleton will be for the base somewhere. Awesome complement placing my work even in breath of Takeya and Scott, just want to say thanks for that one:) As for the baby, yeah I need to go back to the spots you mentioned, and I think making smaller teeth will help. I also went back and made him skinnier which I think helps alot, so let me know if spot anything else.
    Stalsby: Claws added, and I am going to try some sort of cloth on the arms, so we will see how that works, glad you enjoyed the class, and good work on your dom war so far.
    Red Republik: Hahah, yeah I like to be in pain I guess, hopefully you like the skeleton now.
    EricElwell: Thanks, and good point on the skeleton, I had a fat dead guy I think with a big beer belly that I was using for reference.
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    ah so thats where the skelly was goin. im not sure about where the ribs intersect with his back, it sort of looks just tacked on atm. im sure you plan on doing somethin there. Overall this is badass dude.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Looks Really good so far but you need some reference material on the skeleton.
    Gave you a link to help you out in the pm I sent you.

DOWIII Entry
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome! The organic bits are insane, very lifelike
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    now this is some serious art, keep us updated man laugh.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    really cool stuff Brett, you're really doing wonders again, this was my favorite entry from the beginning, great job translating your concept into 3d smile.gif

I like the arms a lot in that last update man, they look old and skinny, yet a bit muscular, exactly like I pictured them being on your concept.cool idea with the skeleton as armor ornament too, that's working really well IMO.

can't wait to see more dude smile.gif
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    It looks awesome as always Spark.

If you aren't going to merge the skeleton into the armor, you might want to tie it on with something. Right now it looks like it'll fall off really easy.

You could just chain the hands together at the front. It looks like what you might intend to do anyways confused.gif
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Level of detail on this guy is amazing. Keep on Rockin!
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Quite possibly the scariest piggyback ride ever going on there smile.gif

Great job on the torso, the big shapes seem dead on and the surface detail is really interesting. Impressive that the 3d is coming out even better then the sketch, great stuff.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    This is turning out great! Holy cow! Great sculpting and loads of character!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Whew, another fun update though I still have a tad bit more to do on the high poly. I need to finish up his chain belt additions/face drum/and rework the baby demon that I wasn't happy with. Hope you guys like the update, and if you spot anything that I need to tweak, please let me know..thanks for the support and critiques!

Spark

void_update_02.jpg

Clint: Haha, yeah I didn't want them just sticking in, so added ropes to him, hopefully they look ok.
    Slingshot: Thanks for the refs! I went back and tweaked him some but still need to play with him a bit.
    SEKNeox/Jaco/Johny: Thanks guys for the comments!
    Vahl: Loving your piece as well man, and glad you like the updated arms, I think it helped him.
    TeriyakiStyle: I took off his jaw, but it kinda bothered me, I might try it again as I didn't have it all together ( haha I still don't:P) So I will try again, or get the happy out of him...as he's suppossed to be unhappy:X
    Rens: Hahah thanks.
    Asmuel: Let me know if you think this works, if anything I can chain him around the body.
    Struve: Thanks my friend, preciate that coming from you.
    Kary: Piggyback FTW!, thanks alot and glad you like it.
    Josh_Singh: Glad you stopped on by man, and really liking your guy this year, can't wait to see it finished!
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    except a few parts of the clothes that look obviously mirrored, everything else seems fine to me smile.gif very good job!
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    damn dude, badass update. The skull tentacles kick ass.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats awesome man. I like the Marilyn Monroe skirt being blown up, but it needs less symmetry. But maybe you can do that in the lowpoly. The skeleton looks better, but it doesn't look like the arms would stay over his shoulders like that. I think they would be better tied together or tied down somehow. Or you could have them flailing out the back. Its not a huge deal though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this looks ace!!.. but don´t get caught with tiny details too much.. you need to start texturing NOW *waving with the schedule*
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ I don't think he's finished his artifact yet has he? Still need to get the babies in their spheres etc. Pick up the pace plz!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    kickass work Brett !!! PLZ, give us a bigger image smile.gif I just want to spy all those little details ^^ I wich I could have your imagination on the concept phase (I give up the fight too).

Best of luck (even if I can already smell that you won't need "luck") for the final run !
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahah Hey man, goodjob, Its tuurning out well, i didnt expect the snake/tentacle to look like this, and damn they look goooood smile.gif

Maybe u were planning it, but u should have the skelly in the back have a few broken ribs/bones ?

Goodjob man, take ur time with the texture!

ben
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    You maniac! legs turned out great.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work Brett smile.gif
  • stalsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your highpoly is looking really nice! This could be a definite winner!
  • Squirrely Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirrely Jones polycounter lvl 18
    those are some sexy skull tentacles!
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    yep, you hit those skull tentacles outta the park... would love to see you tighten up the fabric a bit more but this is turning out really, really well.... inspirational stuff:D
  • stalsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about the locomotion of your character a little and I thought it would be a nice feature to add some of the scales like snakes have on their ventral side. But then again maybe your creature floats or something, I don't know ;] Just a mere suggestion. It's looking bad ass!

snakeskin.jpg

keels.jpg
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah , it could be cool looking, but I don't think it would help for the locomotion problem... as all the tentacles are going in an opposite direction, I guess the guy would'nt move an inch ! laugh.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Whew, here are the final shots of the high poly, as I went back and finished up the baby and redid a few things. Now onto the lowpoly and hope I can finish this thing up in time (crossing fingers for fred to add a week:)) Again, thanks to all who have given there time to stop and give feedback, it has made this war go alot easier:)

Spark

void_final.jpg
    snake_final.jpg
    staff_final.jpg
    embryo_final.jpg
    embryo_sack_final.jpg
    Animated gif:
    VoidTurnAround(1).gif

Kakikukeko: Thanks man, yeah I need to mirror to help push the texture:)
    KolbyJukes: Haha thanks man, I appreciate the compliment, and added blindfolds to the tentacles to make them more sick and twisted, hopefully.
    Asmuel: I will try and bring in some more asymetry in the lowpoly, but it depends on how my map is looking, I added clamps to the arms for the skeleton, so let me know if this helps.
    TeriyakiStyle: Thanks for the vote of confidence! I will definetely try.
    Rollin: I keep trying to avoid those tiny details, but I cannot pull myself away....I have tried!, and onto the lowpoly after I post.
    Asmuel: Haha artifact is now done, along with everything else as far as I know:P
    Renaud Galand: Made the images a tad bigger, but let me know if you want them bigger, and thanks for posting.
    B1ll: Thanks man, your piece is looking killer by the way, you better finish that one, added the broken ribs for you and it helped...thanks for the crit.
    Struve: Thanks my friend
    Vahl: Thanks, waiting patiently for another post from you man, my inspiration folder needs it:)
    Stalsby: Thanks man!
    Squirrely Jones: Preciate it man, let me know if you like the new blindfolds on them.
    ThE_BirD: Hey Paul, thanks for stopping on by and giving me those compliments, I will add more detail to the cloth in texture and tighten them up for sure.
    Stalsby: Thanks for the idea, but i want them less snake like and more oozy octopus like.
    Kakikukeko: Hahah yeah never thought about how he would move, and thankfully we don't have to do an animation for the competition.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    wow...just...wow
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f*ck*ng awesome!
    amazing job man!

edit: forgot to say, I especially love all the props.. really creative stuffs smile.gif the facial skin, the eggs.. really amazing details in all those
    (but it seems like the top of the spear and the eggs share the same mesh you lazy bum! tongue.gifwink.gif )
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    good god.... killer update! Your sculpts are amazing Spark, this character screams coolness, I am in awe ! smile.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Win. Nothing I can critique at this time...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    incredible work, Spark. fully realized with some of the extra polish to bring it beyond even the well considered concept piece.

but i'm not going to lie, i think your biggest challenge is yet to come smile.gif
    your last DW piece was blowing just as many socks off at this stage, but somehow the texture work just didn't seem to bring out all the magic in the mesh, and that was a real disappointment for such a great character.
    i know you've advanced significantly since then, so i'm confident the texture on this baddie will push you that extra mile for a true personal best, beyond what you were capable of before. really pumped to see this come through the home stretch, very inspiring smile.gif
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    very creative! I enjoy this piece except for the main guys mouth. something about it just doesnt feel like it fits. also, the micro detailing is really nice, good use of alphas. But is all that necessary? Looks like you could have speed this up a ton by skipping details on some stuff. I mean at 2048, a ton of that is gonna turn to sandpaper mush detail =( hopefully not! but ya know....2048 isnt as "big" as it use to be.

best of luck to ya! either way your comin out with a bangn portfolio piece.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    nucking futs, gezzz
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Almost makes me glad I have dropped out of the comp, almost. Damn fine work Spark.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    amazingly scary work, it really is slightly disturbing, Im really not sure how youre gonna bring out all of this in low poly but I was impressed how well the alphas you used worked last year but what are you going to do for things like that skeletons ribcage? thats alot of alpha?
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Holy fuck Brett.. this is way beyond perfect. Can't wait to see him textured.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    wtf man this is ridiculously awesome.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    this is stunning brett ....
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    O_o Woot hahashocked.gif

I come back, just take my Katana...
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Insane work. Really wondering how you're going to get this thing baked properly,no doubt you'll do a fine job of it. Very, very nice work,