Home General Discussion

Dominance War 3

Replies

• Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    and pleas don't take my words as an offense, i have still quiet ften problems to explain myself proper in english smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your doing a better job then most here crazy.gif dont worry about it. Welcome to polycount smile.gif and good luck
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you very much Asmuel!!! i apprissuate this comment

and no worry all watch your back in War

ROOOHAR let's punish the Artisans xD
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The GA twerps will be no challenge... the forces of the enemy shall fall before our might, no matter their allegiance!
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoooot, let's smash them XD

what do you guys think about the new ones like the russians, french and our friends from the east, how strong are they?!

is rpg a welcome thing here for this competition?! or would it be silly?!

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    um, where exactly is the rules / challenge description page?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Dante: no worries. no offence taken. Just stating things as I am seeing them.

I have a couple ideas I'm going to start sketching tonight or tomorrow. I've been writing down ideas for a couple takes on the whole contest. It's now a matter of sketching them out, and finding the time to work on them. More than half my time will be spent on textures and really don't care about the prizes, I'd be prouder just to finish in time.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    As for our foreign friends, I've seen a lot of amazing high-poly stuff done by people from China. No clue about the Russians or the French, though, and no clue about low poly stuff from China, either.
  • Keg
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks keg!

yes your right!
    i also really don't care about the prizes!!!

im really just looking it like a fun event whit lots of cool artists fighting with their skills agains each other smile.gif

hmm if ill go with that i'm he first one whos gonna die here, but anyhow i'm also looking it just as a challenge for me and hope to get good expirience, especially because i'm just a student who started 6 month ago with 3d art!

this comp is like a little dream for us noobs, we can play with the big ones together and learn from them xD
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hawken: http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/rules/index.php

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers.

I probably have enough time for a concept art entry. My normal mapping skills are non existent so I'll skip a 3d entry wink.gif

I've added the logo in a thread for people to pickup.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone complaining about the "No splitting up the texture sheets" thing, get a grip!
    You can easily lay it out as someone mentioned earlier (split it into 4 equal sections, all on the same UV map), and anyway it's actually more realistic an expectation for game art, since usually for a seamless character you will only have one texture, since the more different textures you use, the higher your batch count.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    As for the less total texture size, it seems the current Lowpoly Challenge is the most successful competition on Polycount that I've ever seen, exactly because it's so easy to make.

As for the forum's theme colours, it's not just green and black, the forums have blue and red as well, so that's half a full palette already crazy.gif .

The brief is a bit odd though, Desert Eagles aren't sophisticated technology and are allowed, but steam engines have too many electronics? I guess it's a push for a Post-Apoc/Fantasy combination, but it's a bit confusing nonetheless.

Anyway, good luck, Polycount!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    for final lightning meaning no fancy unreal engine 3 where can we preview it ? can i use marmoset ?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna ask about UE3, because that's a game engine, and we're making assets with specs usable in games such as UT3, Gears of War, Crysis etc., so disallowing those engines as renderers doesn't make much sense (especially since it's not "advanced lighting").
    The "advanced lighting" thing IMHO should mean no raytracing or bounced lighting, GI or AO rendered on top of the model. No V-ray, mental ray, advanced lighting etc. You can't do any of those things in a game engine so I don't see why they should be disallowed.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Is PC still 'EVIL'?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is PC still 'EVIL'?

[/ QUOTE ]
    only if we want to be
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we evil?
    i vote "yes" along with a "mwahaha"
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i think with a million and a half forums competing they stoped the whole thing with faction alignments
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Plus it made the judging kinda unfair, since they weren't comparing things based on the same criteria.

Good that it's just one brief for everyone now.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    soooo. since i am now a MASTERr at next gen, I will be joining! FOR REAL! yay!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    yay we win, if b1ll finishes
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The brief is a bit odd though, Desert Eagles aren't sophisticated technology and are allowed, but steam engines have too many electronics? I guess it's a push for a Post-Apoc/Fantasy combination, but it's a bit confusing nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I understand why though. If steampunk was allowed, how many entries do you think would be steampunk? I think the idea is to try and push us to think outside the box and come up with something original and unique...not add to a horde of same looking steampunk entries.

Plus the steampunk + magic thing has been done numerous times already in anime. Anyways no time to participate myself, so...

GO GREEN AND BLACK!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it is odd when you think about it, you can't make a desert eagle without using technology, even if the gun itself doesnt contain any.. ho hum
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    electricity is not required to make a hand gun. the rules don't say "no technology". they say "No robots, cyborgs, steam engines, or anything with electronics."
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think I understand why though. If steampunk was allowed, how many entries do you think would be steampunk? I think the idea is to try and push us to think outside the box and come up with something original and unique...not add to a horde of same looking steampunk entries.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS plan if that was the intent. We'll just get hordes of fantasy monsters instead. *shrug*

All I know is that I wanted to make a kickass machine/mech and now that's out cause of arbitrary rules. Damn.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    electricity is not required to make a hand gun. the rules don't say "no technology". they say "No robots, cyborgs, steam engines, or anything with electronics."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but gunpower? Seems an odd leap to have combustion like that but no engines.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    gunpowder was discovered by the Chinese in the 9th century and spread to the Middle East and Europe in the 11th and 13th centuries. how long did it take for combustion engines to become common place?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BS plan if that was the intent. We'll just get hordes of fantasy monsters instead. *shrug*

All I know is that I wanted to make a kickass machine/mech and now that's out cause of arbitrary rules. Damn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every contest has arbitrary rules. Poly count, texture size, presentation, theme - that could all change on a whim, yeah? If you're not excited about this war's theme, why not just spend the time making the kickass machine/mech you're geeked about?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ey.. indians were the first to use gunpowder on the battle field! tipu sultan was the first to use rockets on the battlefield which inspired "artillery" [he used it first against the brits, who got inspired] we were also the first to field guns, thuogh the roma 'gypsies' took that tech with them to europe and the middle east. plus we had 'grenades' which europeans called 'explosive magic' when they first saw it.
    laugh.gif lets not skip parts of history shall we?

but yea. considering that, even flamethrowers are possible then:
    the user pushes a little pump forcing methane thru a tube and out, then uses a simple lighter to set it off. tadaa

all guns are possible to use without electricity. and i'm sure loopholes can be found lol. THATS where creativity lies: finding loopholes.

the rules are perfectly fine. i figure pro artists wrking under big companies would be used to having their creativity being 'herded' ? at least dom war is still giving us aLOT of freedom?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah you can have all kinds of weapons and guns with this. You can't have a rail gun but you could easily do a chain gun since they aren't electronic and are more gas cylinder powered.

Look at some of the stuff from Hellgate London. Besides the electronic type things I think this is a good start.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient Romans had steam engines AND flamethrowers.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    and supposedly there were batteries 2000 years ago
    http://www.smith.edu/hsc/museum/ancient_inventions/battery2.html

So let's see if we'll see a giant ceramic robot with a massive ancient battery on its back.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no but 'battery' works on electron flow, which is electricity.. so that'd be a 'no'

and battery would involve circuitry too.

so double-no
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I'm just making a fucking horrific monster. I like monsters, the brief said 'demon' was a race, so let the dread juices flow.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerve cells use electricity too. Guess we're all fucked huh?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahahahaha
    tru dfacto.. tru....

heart uses electrical pulses too... so all we CAN make, are machines.. but then again, machines are a no... who dyou thinks gonna win this year?
    fred indeed.... fred indeed... lol
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    who dyou thinks gonna win this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rockmonsters! \m/
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Zing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Unless 'a simple gun' is only fireworks and rudimentary cannons, asherr's several thousand years early.

The first gun with an internal firing system of any kind (moreso than a long match trailing it, that is) wasn't until the 1500s. The first percussion cap firearm was in the early 1800s.
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you guys read the story right? why dont you simply think like this ; everything wont be affected by an electromagnetic pulse (that ultimate weapon ) will be ok. pistols etc are ok ; lazers, pulse guns , prob miniguns ( they have electronical parts right?) are not..

its not a brand new magical world , just post apocalyptic version of last years... anything can survive EMP should be ok.

my 2c
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

anything can survive EMP should be ok.

my 2c

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything that can surive emp and fits a Diablo style class and has only one 'element' in its' design and doesn't use steam power.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Well I thought that I would let the enemy know that the rules of engagement has changed a bit^_^. The Rules and Regulations page has been updated: http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/3/rules/index.php and the triangle count is now at 9000. Happy modeling and see you guys on the battlefield!

Marcus Dublin

Freelance 3d - Artist
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9000... Sweet Goodness!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    wow, that's a lot of tris
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, was wondering why the count hadn't gone up since last year but good to see. Also more fitting of these 'hero' type characters I think (Alyx is abot 8,000 and she's been around a few years!).
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Should be interesting.

I kind of wish the specs would be lower... every damn contest now has you throwing mountains of triangles and pixels at a project, assuming the more you have the awesomer it will be.

I'm totally making a wind-mill driven automaton that shoots special effects out of his nipples. and his nipples are demons.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah its not that much, some of our lead characters have over 16000 tris. i do miss the lower polycounts though..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    that's not much arsh, some characters i know are like 42 billion tris, they probably look a few billion times better too
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c023dev polycounter lvl 8
    I'm cool with the rules, I'll go for some vooDoo stuff =))

Summin' Shadowman style maybe...

Greets!