Home General Discussion

Dominance War 3

Replies

• snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    well it levels teh playing field.
    face it, some of the themes last time were a little bunk.
    this will be a true test of skill. one theme. 9 forums. smile.gif

and it's open to if you want to make a good guy or a villian. no forum is the 'good' forum and none are the 'evil' forum. that will make quite a few people happy wink.gif

(sorry to all the guys who wanted to make steampunk things frown.gif )
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    haha that's true, it's hard to judge between the different themes. I kinda liked the unity it created though.

Lookin' forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YES!!!!!

here we go here we go!!!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    As far as unity goes, team colors are required. For once I wish we weren't black and green...let's face it, that combination is butt.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Team colors OR Team insignia.

You can be purple and pink if you want, as long as Greentooth is on there somewhere.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i'm on it
    and yeah Snowfly don't worry, you can just stick Greentooth on there somewhere, it'll be fine ... you don't need to limit your palette to black and green unless you really want to smile.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    So from what I read, we need to start a progress thread to be valid for entry? Does that mean we have to register on Game Artisans forum and share our progress or can we do it here?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IIRC we can do it here.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You make your progress thread on your respective forum and then link to it on the Dominance War page when it eventually opens entirely.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    'You can not break your 2048 sheets into smaller sheets.'
    L_A_M_E
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Alright, I'm going for it. 2d concept as demonic as hell.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    'You can not break your 2048 sheets into smaller sheets.'
    L_A_M_E

[/ QUOTE ]
    Tell me about it! I was a bit surprised with that.
    Had a feeling there was going to be a fantasy theme this year, but ruling out the steampunk option is bit turds.
    Not going to complain because it seems like a great theme as far as I'm concerned. Should be interesting and I'm already thinking about some characters. I don't know if we are technically allowed to start officially concepting, though on GA.org Fred did say we were more than welcome to think about our entries.
    LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!
    Good luck, everyone.

-caseyjones
  • VANARTS_Blair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where can we find the Green Tooth insignia?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have some questions regarding team colors/mascot:

Can I see an official version of Greentooth? It seems like everyone has their own take on him in their avatars.

If one were to decide to go with team colors instead of mascot, how many colors am I limited to before I no longer am using team colors? Green and black are a go, but I want some greys and purple shading, too, I'm thinking.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All Greentooth is, is a green smiley with an open mouth and fangs. It's simple SPECIFICALLY so there can be variants thereof, and it's easy to work into a model or texture.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't limit your colour palette to just green and black. It has to incorporate team colour/insignia, not solely use just that. So if you give your character's armour green trimming or something, or put Greentooth on the shoulder pads somewhere or on a belt buckle. That should be fine IMO.

-caseyjones
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i say we have a common insignia. as a "decal" .psd file, like, painted @ 128* res.
    so that we're all unified... any1 else up for it?

quick 1 week minicomp?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    green tooth isn't that hard of a image to make, seems a bit silly to make a file for everyone to use. and depending on on the model, greentooth might look a tad different than others.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Only exception: No robots, cyborgs, steam engines, or anything with electronics.

[/ QUOTE ]

128292638767933750ihaetusohard.jpg
    >:O
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys about the colors. "And/or" gets me everytime...I know what I wanna make. laugh.gif

And hats off to hawken for coming up with such a nice, seamless, and versatile insignia for us. Mark of a true designer!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    green tooth isn't that hard of a image to make, seems a bit silly to make a file for everyone to use. and depending on on the model, greentooth might look a tad different than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

tru, but consider the one in Xenobond's avatar.
    compare to Valandar's.

lots of variations... it was just a thought....
    enough of that though... thumbnailzzzz!1!!!!111
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    would cartoony or stylized entries be allowed?

rules don'e seem that specific about style
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Nice big greentooth psd by hawken

and I like the black and green, there's lots to be done with variations in saturation and whatnot for those.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    would putting the model in ue3 or other engines be considered an enhanced lighting solution?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's still not as physically accurate as the renderers mentioned, so probably not. And it's a game art contest! Off to the airport to do some concepting.. good luck black and green!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I am totally digging the brief-- got some cool ideas already for my concepts. Good luck!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome stuff, Consider me entered, first time Dom Warrior, lol. Hope i stand a chance. Haha
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    boo i was hoping there would be a robotic section frown.gif just to clarify can the person or persons be wearing metal plating and such?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    oh i'm sure we will se dozens of robots submited under the "he's a living organism made of a metal like substance" aand other such work arounds
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea metal plating etc. comes under armour... and magic induced armour can do alot smile.gif
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    it is the future :P
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    just to clarify can the person or persons be wearing metal plating and such?

[/ QUOTE ]

as long as no electronics are involved.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nice big greentooth psd by hawken

and I like the black and green, there's lots to be done with variations in saturation and whatnot for those.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thank you, kind sir.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    would cartoony or stylized entries be allowed?

rules don'e seem that specific about style

[/ QUOTE ]
    Definitely!

-caseyjones
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Is this an art competition, or some D&D campaign? Some of the rules are needlessly convoluted. Yeesh.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    So...it seems as if this years theme is the love child of DUNE and LOTR...

[ QUOTE ]
    oh i'm sure we will se dozens of robots submited under the "he's a living organism made of a metal like substance" aand other such work arounds

[/ QUOTE ]

Or like Alphonse Elric from Full Metal Alchemist where he's a person's soul bound to a suit of armor.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I can see it now, just to get rid of all the complaints that happen every year,
    DOMWAR 4!
    make whatever you want with as many textures of whatever size you want! No poly limits! no theme! no prizes! oh hey, thats how the forums NORMALLY run isn't it?
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can see it now, just to get rid of all the complaints that happen every year,
    DOMWAR 4!
    make whatever you want with as many textures of whatever size you want! No poly limits! no theme! no prizes! oh hey, thats how the forums NORMALLY run isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you can't break your sheets into 4 1024s, or why your "artifact weapon" MUST adhere to their list of powers and no combination thereof.

If you do an elemental summon, would you risk being disqualified? Summons are a category, but that might be considered a combination. It's a tad silly, that's all.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it is a competition and you are meant to have restrictions. So quit your crying and start concepting you jerks!

-caseyjones
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the theme but I really can't believe we can't move on beyond face counts and the idea of pre-assigned textures... a problem here as much as in a pro studio, I guess... those 'restrictions' are entirely meaningless. When are we going to move into the era of 'rendering vertex counts' and 'x amount of channels'? I guess, though, this is just an art comp and I should stop trying to circumvent it with technological trickery.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't see why you can't break your sheets into 4 1024s

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you really wanted to, you could visually break down your 2048 into 4 seperate 1024 quadrants (or whatever other power of 2 combination you want), then organize your uvs for each piece you want into their own seperate area.

texturebreakup.jpg
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Last year we got the same tri count, and an extra 1024 map. The industry is moving forward spec wise, so Im not sure why dom war is moving backwards :S
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe the dom war is somehow tied to the us economy....
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    or why your "artifact weapon" MUST adhere to their list of powers and no combination thereof.

If you do an elemental summon, would you risk being disqualified? Summons are a category, but that might be considered a combination. It's a tad silly, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]The more heavily restricted requirements are due to what happened last year with the overly ambiguous brief that was eventually largely ignored by most entrants.
    I'm pleased to see a mostly clear, concise set of rules this time around. The "no splitting up texture maps" is a strange one though. I don't really see how it'd make a difference one way or the other.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    [ QUOTE ]
    The industry is moving forward spec wise, so Im not sure why dom war is moving backwards :S

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    maybe the dom war is somehow tied to the us economy....

[/ QUOTE ]

We must move forwards, not backwards. Upwards, not forwards. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys, i know i'm new here and i really don't wanna sound cocky, but PLEASE stop whining and flaming!!!

first of all my English sucks, i'm sorry for that,

secondly, it's a competition with restrictions, rules are rules and we as "good" artists and designers have to figure out for ourself the best way to present our art within those restrictions... then it really shows how good you are as an artist!

thirdly, the brief is a SNEAK PRIEVIEW, which means that there could be changes, Fred just gave us this little bit of information to quench our thrist for the full thing, at least now we can start "thinking" of our concepts and on tuesday we could really start to do everything once we have all details set in stone!

so guys lets have fun and do some crazy concept art till the war really starts...

lets sharpen blades and get some last training in before we WAR!!!!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Problem with it being a sneak preview is such that well, the war was supposed to start on the 15th, it's now the 17th here in Vancouver. So the brief shouldn't be a sneak preview, it should be final. I do wonder if things will be extended or not due to the delay.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done (non-game) freelance work before, and have had some odd specifications for it I had to conform to. Just think of the 7k tris and single texture sheet as "unusual specifications for a freelance solicitation" - shrug it off, work within the limits set, and pop out the best model you can!
  • Dante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes ok your right keg, i know it shouldn't be an its also unproffessional espacially there is no more informations like why its late and whats going on etc, but what i jsut wanted to say is that we have to be patient and just fred knows why he put a "sneak" up instead of "the brief" but we have to wait till he explains it to us, and as we are waiting we can start to explore our fantasy and dreams about our dom charackter and this should be more important then people starting flaming and argueing around...

and pleas don't take my words as an offense, i have still quiet ften problems to explain myself proper in english smile.gif

and now i'm gonna be quiet else im spaming and flaming about flamers xD
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    This was posted over at ga... Figured it might help here.

General Answers
    Yes, you can give your character as many weapons as you want.. but only one (or two similar) can be super powerful artifacts.

Yes, you can't break your 2048 sheet into smaller sheets. Why? Because this is a competition, and judges would like to be sure they see 'all' your textures. If sheets are broken down, people can then occlude stuff and hide things from their final presentation. We prefer to discourage these things this year.

If you have multiple characters, they must all use the same source 2048 texture sheet. You can not break your sheet into multiple sheets.

If you have multiple characters, you can still only have one (or two similar) weapon(s). I guess you can let your characters fight it out to see who wields the artifact(s) on which day of the week hehe

Yes, semi-automatic guns count. A desert eagle style pistols is fine.

1000 x 1000 image is the maximum size. You can make 1000w x 500h etc. It's up to you.

Yes, this is GA's primary logo http://www.gameartisans.org/contests...inals_259.html. There will also be a secondary unofficial logo

For lighting, no unreal engine lighting for your winning pose.

About judging, yes, there is no great point system I know of that works. At least with the pool being narrowed to 50 finalists.. this will insure only best entries can win so there are less likely to be 'flukes' in the finals.

Modeling_man, yes, the beauty shot is theee shot to work on.. but the winning pose shot is there to show us what your character looks like without all the effects. Both these images are really tough. One must be made pretty with just the basics (insuring you concentrate on making your 3d model and textures great) and the other sheet must be made pretty with effects and whatnot (insuring your ps and presentation skills are great). I think they balance well together no?