Home General Discussion

Dominance War 3

Replies

• Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont think I understand dominance wars. I see that indivuals enter but under a site? Im no were close to talented/experienced enough to even think of entering but just a bit lost on the concept of the contest

[/ QUOTE ]
    Basically each person that joins the contest joins up under a specific forum - the idea is to create some friendly competition and build the communities. It doesn't matter your skill level - join up anyways if you're interested in improving your character skills and you'll definitely improve. If you post work and follow through a bunch of polycounters will provide some crit for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok ill keep an eye on it. IT looks really cool. Now Was checking out the last "War" and there were prizes (dont worry I dont think I can win hehe) but if ur competing for ur forum who gets prizes?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You get the prizes, your forum gets the glory/honor of being a home base that helped foster a winning contestant =)
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o ok thats cool. sounds like a great idea
  • Leyvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount has always been fairly harsh since the days of Quake, but really once you learn to take critics you'll realise that it is helpful information. They're not being bitchy for the sake of it, but to help you improve.

Wish I could remember my old account details (ShadowRobert/Raven/[Raven]) as haven't got a clue and I'm sure some of the older members will have a faint memory of them :P

Not do anything since Quake 2 and people forget you.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Heh. I made a Quake 3 mesh a couple years ago and it never got into the archive because of an animation flaw. Wish I still had the files for it, but they got lost in a HD wipe... it was a red-scaled dragon-man character...
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    this year should be a lot of fun, last year it was the quarter i graduated so school and art tests took priority over it somewhat. now im working and have nothing better to do when i go home, so nights and weekends i bleed green.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    - General George S. Patton

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."
    - George Washington
  • Titan369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im in, I want to represent polycount and i could use another portfolio piece. If polycount dosent mind having me that is.... frown.gif Please say yes, please say yes....
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    love this time of year! ill represent the green and black.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so wait before you can enter our forum has to except ur piece?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I am in this year. Same with richkid. Last quarter of school and tests, finals really screwed me up.

Bring on the battle
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    so wait before you can enter our forum has to except ur piece?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Basically, it's like individual Olympic events. Carl Lewis may have been on the American track team, but he ran his races on his own.

Basically, you just go ahead and enter. While you're working on it, show it off in the "Pimping and Previews" board, and listen to the crits you get. You may not agree with some, but at least try out what they suggest to see if it does, in fact, make the model or texture better.

At the end of the day, you could enter as a "Polycount" member, but never show a thing in here until the day you submit the final entry. You wouldn't have the advantage of all the pro-level advice around here, but if you placed it would still count towards PC's ultimate and inevitable victory.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks that clears up everything.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]

At the end of the day, you could enter as a "Polycount" member, but never show a thing in here until the day you submit the final entry.

[/ QUOTE ]

not quite true! there was a stipulation in last years rules that said you needed to have a wip thread and show regular updates within it, so no turning up at the very last moment with a finished model
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    plus surprise entries make everyone grumpy at you.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    In all seriousness guys, were really going to have to pull together if were going to have a shot at winning this year. It really hit me when there was only about 14 registered users on polycount last night, thats 14 in the entire world, and there is over a million registered users across the dom war 3 forums.

Pooling of resources and giving really good crits will be critical.

[/ QUOTE ]

we're not the largest forum by any means, no, but that's not really how things are. "1 million total registered users" is about the most meaningless number you could pull; disregard it entirely.

the way things work on virtually any forum is that the active forum population is roughly anywhere from a fifth to a tenth of the registered users. polycount has more than 6,000 registered users, but maybe something like 5-600 active members.
    now out of that tenth of registered users, you're looking at maybe another tenth that's actually going to be a serious threat in a Dominance War. (though i'd put polycount's pro/serious threat percentage as significantlly higher by percentage than the other forums).

in other words, generally less than 1% of any given forum's population are going to be serious contenders. so even with these great big forums we're going to be up against, we're still not going to be looking at that much more significant competition; probably just about the same as last year. possibly a little more, what with the overall number of teams involved, but also possibly less, because some of the strongest sets of talent might balkanize between the various factions. polycount should be looking good, especially with what appears to be a number of former cgchat members coming on board.

and most importantly of all--more competition means better work, not worse. you rise to the occasion and more people will be putting out work better than they ever have, which is why i'm excited for this year's war. i know i'll be doing as much as i can to sustain that level of energy and helpful crits as i can, and i know others will be doing the same. smile.gif
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And don't forget, there's also probably lots of people registered at multiple forums - I'm registered here, CGTalk, and 3DTotal, for example.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    It really is a shame the team nature of the comp is out this year as I'd gotten Hawkprey and moose into the idea of
    our group participation.
    I'm probably still going to take a crack at it myself though
    if its an interesting theme as its been years since I did anything publicly.

r.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Ror, moose and hawkprey would be a fucking SWEET lineup!

-caseyjones
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I agree eliminating teams makes no sense. It's not like they had a huge overflow of team submissions - they were exceedingly rare. Nearly all the top entries have been solo affairs. I'm a big fan of the Dom War and what it's done for community, but the managers' ability to open an ear to that same community has been questionable (see last year's confusion with the topic).

Really. They made concept art a separate category, but you can't concept a character for somebody else to model and texture? Sillyness.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Heard last Dominance War was already a mess.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    as Ror has just demonstrated, allowing teams may give some entries a ridiculously huge advantage over any single-artist creations.

Not saying I don't think there should be teams, but that seams like one possible line of reasoning for disallowing them.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just propose a 'team' and 'solo' category.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    In all seriousness guys, were really going to have to pull together if were going to have a shot at winning this year. It really hit me when there was only about 14 registered users on polycount last night, thats 14 in the entire world, and there is over a million registered users across the dom war 3 forums.

Pooling of resources and giving really good crits will be critical.

[/ QUOTE ]

we're not the largest forum by any means, no, but that's not really how things are. "1 million total registered users" is about the most meaningless number you could pull; disregard it entirely.

the way things work on virtually any forum is that the active forum population is roughly anywhere from a fifth to a tenth of the registered users. polycount has more than 6,000 registered users, but maybe something like 5-600 active members.
    now out of that tenth of registered users, you're looking at maybe another tenth that's actually going to be a serious threat in a Dominance War. (though i'd put polycount's pro/serious threat percentage as significantlly higher by percentage than the other forums).

in other words, generally less than 1% of any given forum's population are going to be serious contenders. so even with these great big forums we're going to be up against, we're still not going to be looking at that much more significant competition; probably just about the same as last year. possibly a little more, what with the overall number of teams involved, but also possibly less, because some of the strongest sets of talent might balkanize between the various factions. polycount should be looking good, especially with what appears to be a number of former cgchat members coming on board.

and most importantly of all--more competition means better work, not worse. you rise to the occasion and more people will be putting out work better than they ever have, which is why i'm excited for this year's war. i know i'll be doing as much as i can to sustain that level of energy and helpful crits as i can, and i know others will be doing the same. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know thats not a realistic evaluation of the situation guass, I was just trying to get some type of us vs. the world, spartan type of ethos going grin.gif

THIS IS POLYCOUNT!!!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    While we are talking comps, has anyone (looking at you Ror and Moose) heard any talks of another "Make Something Unreal"? I just figured with the new UT out that it would be coming up soon.

- BoBo

P.S. Someone start a mini-comp already!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I'll try to be around for paintovers as well! Maybe this year I will finally finish a 3D entry of my own.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I think I read somewhere on beyondunreal that mark rein said a new make something unreal would happen but that they wanted to give the modders time to get used to the new tools
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think I read somewhere on beyondunreal that mark rein said a new make something unreal would happen but that they wanted to give the modders time to get used to the new tools

[/ QUOTE ]
    Concerning character creation, i think epic should make the new tools better usable for the modders first! laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And the winner for the ridiculously gigantic space marine goes to?

1. Epic
    2. Other Polycount Members
    3. China

Doomed. frown.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And the winner for the ridiculously gigantic space marine goes to?

1. Epic
    2. Other Polycount Members
    3. China

Doomed. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding that would be like an all star line up.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ely always has to find some kind of excuse to complain about space marines.

Space marines are awesome. STFU.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Your mom is a space marine.

no complaints.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    If the brief turns out to be a little on the broad side, we could have an optional inner polycounter brief which we create ourselves that narrows it down a bit more for those who are interested, and maybe get a good potion of our units looking stylishly unified.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, if it's not hard enough, let's make it even harder !!! laugh.gif

j/k wink.gif

can't wait tho
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Why not make it the hardest for us???
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may seem unfair to have teams, but at the end of the day, this is a competition. If you're not good enough to go up against the best, then you'll know where you need to improve for next year.
    I'd much rather go up against the Epic Games Dream Team than some random "I has teh Mudbox Brush" inexperienced newbie artist.
    Even if we aren't allowed teams, in the end we are competing as a forum. One GIANT team. Without the combined effort of everyone here, we won't even finish top 3.
    This is going to be the biggest Dom War to date, and from the content being posted in the WAYWO thread, this is going to be a great year for Polycount. Dudes have really stepped up in the last year and some of the work that has been posted in that time has been some of the best game art I've ever seen.

-caseyjones
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Last year's winner had at least 2 concept artists working with him.

As much as I'd enjoy working with someone else again, I'm glad that it's mano-a-mano.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    just because you dont think you have a chance at winning doesn't mean everyone feels that way. If I was trying to win this time, and wanted to do a character on my own, it would most definitely not be fair to pit me against the epic dream team, no matter how good I am.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    For both the previous competitions I was either sidetracked or swamped with work. But I want to actually represent on this one. I could actually use a good portfolio piece. Also, I've been itching to develop an effective pipeline for normal mapping. Count me in!

Oh, sweet! They've got a 2D and 3D category this time. It's good that the concept artists are going to get to strut their stuff.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it levels the playing field really.. I'm fine with it but also I'd be fine if teams were still allowed. I just dont have a team frown.gif(
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg, my point about going up against the "Epic Games Dream Team", was being able to raise the bar for your own work. To push yourself to a level you've never been at before because you know you have to take it up a notch to be on par with the best. I personally know I'm nowhere near as good as half the guys entering this comp. But knowing I gave it my best and managed to finish my entry is all the reward I'd really need (and all I'm really aiming for).

-caseyjones
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I see your point, but I'm gonna make the most unbelievably badass planet-smashing baby-stomping character I can, regardless of the skill level of my competitors. They will all die at the hands of whatever kind of crazy motherfucker I decide to make, whether or not they're on a team.

Teams, no teams, whatever. Lets kick some non-polycount asses into the next 14 dimensions of painful, hellish defeat.

If you're not going green, you're going down.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when will we know that subject? when the countdown ends?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    oh well. guess I could use this time to work on my concept skill-zings.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the spirit, Ferg! grin.gif

-caseyjones
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c023dev polycounter lvl 8
    [ QUOTE ]
    I see your point, but I'm gonna make the most unbelievably badass planet-smashing baby-stomping character I can, regardless of the skill level of my competitors. They will all die at the hands of whatever kind of crazy motherfucker I decide to make, whether or not they're on a team.

Teams, no teams, whatever. Lets kick some non-polycount asses into the next 14 dimensions of painful, hellish defeat.

If you're not going green, you're going down.

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD MAN! Now you're Talking! That's what we'll do!

LET'S DADDY-SLAP SOME KIDDYS!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongol General: "What is best in life, Ferg?"

Ferg: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to kick some non-polycount asses into the next 14 dimensions of painful, hellish defeat!"

Conan: "Damn, that's hard-core!"
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i've entered every year, for polycount, and we've won every year...

nuff said!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We won last year? Thats news to me.

-caseyjones