• CaptainHowdy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaptainHowdy polycounter lvl 17
    finished texturing it tonight, here are some shots from the engine:

moonbuggy2.png

and here is the flat texture

moonbuggytex.jpg

since there are no exhaust tubes to animate or anything, I am going to make the antennas wiggle around as an idle animation :)
    This is looking great!

Now, surely its only a matter of time.....

thebananasplits002.jpg
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol if I ever make a monkey character it is going to be wearing a little vest for sure.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a lot of people want a panda character so I decided to start putting one together this afternoon, here is what I have so far:

pandawip.jpg
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a texture done for the panda today, I think he turned out pretty cute! I changed the paws to be a little less stumpy as well:

panda.png
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    that turned out awesome, cant wait to see him in game :)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet!

I would love to see what it would look like if it had normal but chubbier (white) gloves on its paws. That or id detail in the paws more for a better hold on the wheel. Like a thumb nub at least., but i would try the chubby gloves first. Also id add a bit more detail on the feet.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha that's one cool panda :P

One more suggestion for it : You might want to play with the black shapes on the head a little. I think a big part of real life pandas personality comes from these black surfaces around the eyes... shaped as eyes! Since they tilt down , they make the pandas look a bit hound-dog like in expression because our brain reads this as a socket shadow.

Okay that was unclear. Pics :
    This one looks sad-ish at first sight, even if hes not.
    http://www.motherjones.com/blue_marble_blog/panda01.jpg

And then you can play :
    http://caswell.blogspot.com/china/images/20040907.Panda.jpg

So you could maybe explore SuperDeformed manga graphical codes for sadness, hapiness aso and maybe shape these black surfaces accordingly? It would add a great range of expression.

also I think the white of the eye is a bit too apparent atm (thats closely related to the above)

good luck! Keep them coming!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks pior! I never really noticed that about the eye shapes, I will have to play around with different variations when I get the chance.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Panda...

I sense that TGZ would love to get his hands on an SDK of that Panda ;)
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    couple new things, we have been very busy working on a build to test thursday night to take footage for a new video.

here are a few short clips of 2 of the 3 items we hope to have working in the next video:

http://myzerogear.com/mine.mov

http://myzerogear.com/punch.mov

also, I like turtles.

turtle.png
  • dippingsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That turtle is OH SO CUTE! I love the proportion ratio of his head and shell. Those KISS pandas are pretty funny too :D
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    turtle kicks ass!!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Very cool, marsh!

You know you just have to include a platypus! No game would be complete, without. (Yes there are thousands of incomplete games on shelves).

:)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miles : was thinking about starting one for it haha :D Yeah I know the tools are not out yet but we could make this the first (and indie!) game to have a modding community *before* beta release!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turtle kicks ass!!

wow, this means a lot coming from you! Thanks!!!

I am still getting comfortable character modeling as these are the first time I have taken my shot at doing characters. I am getting more confident with each new character now. That is one of my favorite thing about doing everything myself, if there is something we want to do I just have to learn how to do it myself which is cool becuase I love learning new things.

Everyone wants a platypus! I think there is some kind of secret platypus agenda. One problem with that or any character with a bill is that it would stick out and intersect with all the swappable hats and items. Thats why I have been trying to only do characters that I can represent by just slightly modifying a sphere, to insure all the swappable stuff still fits.

We are having a small test tonight, I will be furiously fraps-ing it ( lol ) and hopefully I will edit together a new video for you guys very soon. It will be showing off a new level and gameplay mode, as well as our first basic implementation of 3 items.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Miles : was thinking about starting one for it haha :D Yeah I know the tools are not out yet but we could make this the first (and indie!) game to have a modding community *before* beta release!

That would be the most awesome thing ever. I think I could probably throw together a "sdk" sometime soon of a character with skeleton ( although now that I am more familiar with animating and rigging I am kind of embarrassed with my setup ) but it would probably be all you need to make something that could be put into the game. I could even include some of the hats and accessories so that you could verify it would work with those things

*edit* I could do the same thing with a kart too
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    This game is looking so incredibly badass. It's really impressive guys, keep up the good work!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    That would be the most awesome thing ever. I think I could probably throw together a "sdk" sometime soon of a character with skeleton ( although now that I am more familiar with animating and rigging I am kind of embarrassed with my setup ) but it would probably be all you need to make something that could be put into the game. I could even include some of the hats and accessories so that you could verify it would work with those things

*edit* I could do the same thing with a kart too

*Pior: :)

*Marsh: SDK - would be very generous and simply awesome
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe I was just about to put a blank character sheet together, based on the images you already released of all the little characters :P Damn I have like tons of ideas for this!
    (including, females)
    (and, sculpted toys)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    im kinda interested in this modding idea too..
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, I will put together a character and a kart one. Hats and Accessories can be easily made off the character one.

They will be Maya files, maybe once I post them someone can make .max versions. Does .obj save skeletal info?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    dont think it does unfortunately.. you might be able to use fbx?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Hehe I was just about to put a blank character sheet together, based on the images you already released of all the little characters :P Damn I have like tons of ideas for this!
    (including, females)
    (and, sculpted toys)

do it
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, here is a basic SDK with Maya files - they should provide a good idea of scale for things to fit into the game.

http://myzerogear.com/ZeroGearModelSDK_v1.00.zip

from the readme.txt
    Zero Gear model SDK
    version 1.00
    6-05-08

Included files:
    -rider_SDK.mb
    -kart_SDK.mb
    -TextureSDK (dir)

both .mb files have sample objects in layers in order to help scale.

Notes:
    -For the hats and accessories, each can be snapped to the headanchor bone to represent in-game appearance.

-Positioning the character to get hands to line up on the steering wheel (steering wheel position is the same across all karts) can be a little tricky, feel free to move the character root skeleton around to compensate.

-Polycounts should be under 3,000 tris for characters and karts

- Texture sizes are:

character: 1x 512x512
    Kart: 1x 512x512
    Hats/Accessories/Wheels: 1x 256x256

- For a sample of how to construct textures to be color customizeable, see the TextureSDK folder. For areas that will be customizeable, the base lum texture needs to be grayscale, and a transparent .png mask created to define where the custom color should be multiplied on top.

All included files copyright David Marsh, 2008
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad, couldn't open the files in Maya8.0... Maybe a .ma would be easier, or even a .obj? If you have the rig as boxes it should be rather easy to tell where to put the joints.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    gonna second using FBX. doooo ittt.

awesome work man, one of my most anticipated titles :)
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darn, I will try exporting to one of those formats when I get a moment and re-post it . . .
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    This game looks like its going to be awesome! You using a custom engine or?

And Nimblebit looks like Gir from Invader Zim with a Viking hat on!

If you need playtesters let me know :)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Where's the lobster you promised you'd make? WHERE IS IT?!?! We need a crustacean with road rage, STAT!

Seriously though man, this is just getting better and better. Opening it up to the community is a great idea.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    lobster = awesome, panda = awesome, platypus = awesome...

but what about the king of the animals?... the AARDVARK?!?

...oh. maybe not.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the support guys :)

well I spent an hour trying to get anything to export to FPX but it would always hang up while exporting, I tried getting the latest exporter and everything. So no FBX unless someone else wants to try, I have also included .ma as well as some static obj's this time.

http://myzerogear.com/ZeroGearModelSDK_v1.01.zip

forgot to edit the readme in there but oh well, I'm busy!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad, couldn't open the files in Maya8.0... Maybe a .ma would be easier, or even a .obj? If you have the rig as boxes it should be rather easy to tell where to put the joints.

I am actually currently only using the same skeleton on all my characters so far becuase it saves time, there is no reason why any custom character can't have a unique or even completely non-humanoid skeleton - as long as it has the same anims that are the same length and they physically fit into the kart and other wearable items.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh, I'm gonna have me sum funz. :D
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    When this thread first started, I didn't think much of it, just thought it was some kinda neat micro-kart stuff, and now with every update, i have have to pick my jaw up off the floor because its unbelievable how far this has gotten, and how much it kicks ass. Much props, and for the love of god, don't stop-
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Save trees, recycle polygons!
    pior_kartbunnywip001.png
    Still have to rearrange the UVs, repaint some areas a little and do some cooler hair.
    Plus made a quick Michelle Tanner female base :D

Also put together a little static template skeleton in .obj flavour. The zip has a Maya8 .ma version of the original template too - to make it work under older Mayas simply textedit the few '8.0's at the beginning to the desired version.

ZG_driverrig.gif

www.pioroberson.com/files/ZG_driverrig_obj.zip

Platypus's next!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    lol, fuckin ace!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Pior Sweet!!

I'm so glad thats a maya file... otherwise i wouldn't be able to keep myself from making one.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior you rock!!!! that helmet would look so awesome on other characters as well! I can't wait to see this in game! Also, you know you are going to make a kart and wheels that are just as awesome, right?
  • marshmonkey
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    thats ace
    couple of tiny meany minor crits,
    from the video its difficult to make out which were glass and which were holes, maybe a little more opacity, or some streaks across it?
    the other was that the names are low res and dont really fit the style, sure thats temp though =)
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, the names are temp, they will be spiced up to be much prettier in time. The glass is something I have been struggling with for awhile, I have yet to find the right blending mode in the ogre material system that always looks like glass. I will have to keep working on it!
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping for a "cool going to die effect".
    Just not simply falling down. Maybe dissolve in many peaces or ...
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why not try a normal mapped pattern like hexagons or sommit, or you could go traditional and add a streak in the diffuse texture? never used ogres materials but theyre supposed to be quite powerfull?
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't thought much about that, do you mean normal mapped texture on the character or as a screen effect?

if you have a chumby you can use this Steam Group widget my brother made, it features the Zero Gear steam group as the default!

http://www.chumby.com/guide/widget/Steam+Friends
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marsh I think Shepeiro meant that you could maybe add some simple normalmapped hexagon patterns (honeycomb) on the glass surfaces to differentiate them from the voids.

Another thing you can do is to make these sheets of glass slightly opaque at the edges where they connect to the frame (could be vertex based..) to suggest dust accumulated there. A great example can be seen on screenshots of the last Devil May Cry game on the PS3

Gonna have my female bunny done soon :P
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marsh I think Shepeiro meant that you could maybe add some simple normalmapped hexagon patterns (honeycomb) on the glass surfaces to differentiate them from the voids.

Another thing you can do is to make these sheets of glass slightly opaque at the edges where they connect to the frame (could be vertex based..) to suggest dust accumulated there. A great example can be seen on screenshots of the last Devil May Cry game on the PS3

Gonna have my female bunny done soon :P

ah, yea I see. The vertex opacity is a good idea too. I'm excited about your space bunny! Is it going to be separated into a character and a helmet so the helmet could be swapped to different characters as well?

Me and my partner were just discussing yesterday about possibly releasing the garage character / kart customization section of the game stand-alone for people to play with and also to load custom stuff like you are making to see how well it fits together with everything else.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for explaining me thoughts prior =)

love the idea of a racer with an open source garage, i feel a tiny f-zero racer coming on
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added some new screenshots to our media page. Most of them are yanked from the video we released monday. Click on the happy family enjoying Zero Gear to check them out!

newscreens.png
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    don't know if this is mentioned earlier in this thread, haven't read it all but i have a suggestion that would be kind of cool to see:

after watching the latest vid i noticed that the karts still fell downward when knocked off the map. It would be cool to see them float off into space with less gravity and maybe run into a satillite. . or the kart sign.
    -my 2 cents! keep it up!! good work!!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there is an effect that you don't see much of in the video where when it is detected that you have fallen off the camera stops and you see yourself falling into space while you wave your arms about.