Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kart racing game

Replies

• Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Looking tremendous, and a ton of fun to play. I agree about the tires of the other 2 cars, but I know ogre can be hard to tame when using different materials and stuff, and other that that, I think you have nailed it!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spent a little bit of time making some mock-ups thinking about how a few menus might work. The idea for the main menu is that the elements fly in from the edges of the screen, and a model of your character / kart on a stand screws into place from the bottom off screen.

main_screen_small.jpg

The customization menu will be able to handle all your kart and character customization or tuning. The left of the screen is where you will pick which element you are changing, and you can browse through your options on the right side, as well and pull it out further like a drawer with the red arrow to view more options at one time. The bottom of the screen is where your customizable color swatch options will appear for the item you have selected.

customize_screen_small.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking awesome man! No crits, just wanted to tell you that you're kicking some galactic ass
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah! Congrats on everything, this is going to be a great realease.
    Do you plan to allow for user made customisation? It would be great to have custom heads, gloves, and wheels ... I am sure this would be hugely successful amongst modelers, and you could pick the ones you like and later add them to the game.

Do you plan to support normalmpas for characters? I think the default avatars are better without them but maybe allowing them for custom content would make for some nice visual contrast! Obviously, overdetailled normals would look like crap in there (you have a perfect shape unity and density atm, it would be a shame to break it), but if the normals are used to define broad shapes wedging together it could add a nice touch to future chars.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, user customization is going to be a huge part of the game, which means supporting custom models for all the karts and characters and accessories, as well as custom levels and custom gameplay modes in those levels via Lua scripts.

Right now we have no plans to support normal maps, although as it stands nothing would stop people from doing it since our renderer supports them. We are trying to keep the game somewhat low spec, which for now means pretty much only diffuse maps and single level environment maps. This keeps the look consistent as well as cutting down the content creation time.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we have recently been working on testing out our first test of some gameplay rules. In order to get a better grip on how our rules system is going to be layed out we are doing a quick game of tag, where the person who is "it" the longest wins, and whenever you run into the person who is it you become it. We are about halfway done with the mode, and have already happened upon some important fixes and tweaks in the process that will help us once we start on a racing mode.

Here is a screenshot of the level I made in the last few days to play tag in.

tagtest.jpg

This weekend we are having another lan party in which we are going to test out the game mode with around 8 people hopefully. I will be capturing footage to make into another video.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking boss as shit my friend. So... how soon can you get this on the PSN? :{) It'd be badass to have some multiplayer online kart action.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Holy crap dude. Well done - I've really enjoyed seeing this develop over the last few months. I can't wait to play it.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Video! Basic Gameplay tag-test

tagvideo.jpg

In this video we are using a “Tag” type game mode as an intitial test of our gameplay scripting system. Using the experience from this we will design bigger and more exciting gameplay!

In this mode, players compete for the longest amount of time being "IT". The longer you are "IT" the more points you rack up. There is also a 3 second immunity after you have become "IT". For this level, we also made points accumulate faster the closer you are to the middle, to encourage people to duke it out in the middle ring.

The test was a lot of fun, and gave us a lot of ideas and feedback for how we are going to implement more gameplay features in the near future!
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    I want to play this SOOO bad. We've been playing a bunch of multiplayer Mario Kart DS here at the office but this looks just as fun. Good work man.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks will :) Me and Brian have put in a fair amount of mario kart ourselves!
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool. I love how you can roll the cars. keep up the great work
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work I love the colors you used nice tone and vibrant selection. Nice presentation.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Really has come a long way...the color palette is really consistent and reminds me a little bit of Mario Kart...
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, you guys got some talent. I don't think I can explain how eager I am to play this.

I'd pay for it.
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    eagerly waiting to play it
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    This is excellent!
    Thought about implementing visual representations (customizable) of vehicle attribute enhancement? (IE: increase your vehicle's acceleration attribute and your cart's engine is represented as larger or different than the default engine. Increase your vehicle's handling attribute and perhaps the tires are widened beyond that of the default tire size). Such a feature might allow other players to visually tell what the strengths and weaknesses of their competition might be, before or during a match. This way, you could avoid having to apply specific default attributes to vehicles or players like Mario Kart does. This way, one man's pink pinto might not be the same as his competitor's pink pinto. :)
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] wrote: »
    This is excellent!
    Thought about implementing visual representations (customizable) of vehicle attribute enhancement? (IE: increase your vehicle's acceleration attribute and your cart's engine is represented as larger or different than the default engine. Increase your vehicle's handling attribute and perhaps the tires are widened beyond that of the default tire size). Such a feature might allow other players to visually tell what the strengths and weaknesses of their competition might be, before or during a match. This way, you could avoid having to apply specific default attributes to vehicles or players like Mario Kart does. This way, one man's pink pinto might not be the same as his competitor's pink pinto. :)

I really like the spirit of that idea, and I think it is a healthy medium between some debates me and my partner have a lot about tying kart appearance to the stats of your vehicle. I have always thought that tying the visual models to performance elements would be very in-elegant - but simply modifying the scale and positioning across all assets according to your stats would be very elegant if you could make it all fit. I think it's a great idea!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    That looks sweet so far. I love the part where the guy in the top hat tags then does a flying barrel roll to escape:)
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we are working on some items for our next video, as well as a new gameplay mode - here is a little sneak peek

powglove.png
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As you might have noticed in our last video, we have started putting particles in our game. For the non-developers out there, particles are how we create effects such as explosions, weather, dust or any situation where we need to animate some kind of graphical effect using many graphics moving together in a certain way. We are using an excellent particle library called Particle Universe which allows you to create these effects in a script type format. Here are a couple of effects I have been working on lately using this system.

particle1.gifparticle2.gif

Here is a snippet of the script of the second explosion effect, detailing how the system should animate the fireball part of the explosion:
    // --------------- fireball ---------------
    technique
    {
    	use_alias				
    	material				fireball
    	default_particle_width			25
    	default_particle_height			25
    	visual_particle_quota			500
    	emitter					Point		
    	{
    		emission_rate				1
    		force_emission                          true
    		velocity				0
    		time_to_live				1
    	}		

// expand almost instantly then slower
    	affector					Scale
    	{
    		xyz_scale	    	dyn_curved_linear
    	{
    		    control_point       0 1
    		    control_point       0.1 4500
    		    control_point       0.3 500
    	}
    	}

affector					Colour
    	{
    		colour_aff_time_colour		0	 1 1 1
    		colour_aff_time_colour		0.1	 1 1 1
    		colour_aff_time_colour		0.3	 .8 .6 .6
    		colour_aff_time_colour		0.45	 .2 .2 .2
    		colour_aff_time_colour		0.65	 0 0 0
    	}

}

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    very nice havent looked at it for a while, nice to see its coming so far, hope it plays aswell as it looks. were in for a treat if we are
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been working on 3 items lately for our next video, along with a new gameplay mode. Here is a little teaser for the items:

itemicons.png
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    real quick post, we just got our new level up and running for the next game mode we are building for the next video. Wanted to post a quick screenshot.

spacesmall.jpg
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Wow Marsh, that looks really awesome, I can't wait to play this, it's gonna be great!
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking sweet. Good work.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet!

It needs some asteroids orbiting the map and planets in the distance, maybe even a comet flying by. Id bump up the cloudiness in the star field. I think it will help make it less stark, and more friendly.

Also you might want to make a astronaut helmet for the players if your making space maps.

No mater what this game is looking very slick already!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow! I love how this somehow looks like a tribute to the Mario/MK universe, and not just a mere clone. I think you are doing great!

You could make a space track with a Northern Lights theme hehe (ala Rainbow Road!)

Can't wait to play, CAN'T WAIT TO MOD!
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Man this game looks freaking SWEET man! Great job, awesome indie title right here.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys! I have thought about putting a little space helmet in there too if I have time. Asteroids would be awesome too!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    damn ! you guys keep evolving !i reeealy like the colored look of everything ! my suggestiuon might be a tad weird, but what about giving everything outlines ? it would accentuante the cartoony look and make it more interesting in my opinion :)
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Dude, this looks fantastic! I don't even really care for cart racing games, but this one looks like a ton of fun! Can't wait to see/ play the final product!

I can see what people mean about the similarities to Mario Kart, and that might be cause for some worry. Honestly, though, with the customization, unique vehicles, and some sweet game modes, I wouldn't look at it so much as an MK clone as a fun cross between Little Big Planet and Mario Kart.

Keep up the good work!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, I might play with doing outlines on the characters and kart via a shader at some later time, I'm not sure we are really going for a fully cel shaded look though. It could help the characters stand out though.

We are not too worried about being compared to mario kart - we are just aiming to be the most fun kart racing game on the PC. It's going to have lots of PC platform strengths that have never really been applied to a kart racing title before ( versatile multiplayer support, customization of game modes and visuals )
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had to make a quick new hat for people to choose from for this new space stage:

hat012.png
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on a new kart to fit the whole space theme, it's inspired by this toy:

buggyref.jpg

I've got it modeled and UV mapped with a starter ambient occlusion base texture. Will do the fun part and texture it next.

moonbuggy.png

here is what the UV map looks like

moonbuggyuv.jpg
  • georgemancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the style of this project. Very eye-catching. Nice job.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished texturing it tonight, here are some shots from the engine:

moonbuggy2.png

and here is the flat texture

moonbuggytex.jpg

since there are no exhaust tubes to animate or anything, I am going to make the antennas wiggle around as an idle animation :)
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Looking excellent man. Love the solar panel and antenna wiggle idea.
    Will the normal cars be allowed on the space map or will they be space only vehicles?
    If space only, how about a retro-rocket and flying saucer to go along with the solar rover?
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just finished modeling and texturing a new character, now comes the terribly fun part of rigging him to a (lol) skeleton

skele.png
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohhhhhhhhh
    its nice!
    altho i think i would prefer to see a reaper model .
    would be ace.

with its little pitchfork and whatnot.. inside the car.

a comic version of this fella
    grim%20reaper.jpg
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    PIMP work my friend keep up the good work!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we had our first full test over the internet last night, it was a bit of a whirlwind trying to get everyone set up and working but it went pretty well. Here is a blog post Brian wrote about it:

http://nimblebit.blogspot.com/2008/05/first-big-internet-test-grand-ole-party.html

as you can read in the post, we are looking for some kind of dedicated server to rent with decent bandwidth so we can test with more that a few people, if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Also, we were using our Zero Gear Steam group to co-ordinate during the test, even if we aren't on steam YET, anyone is free to join our group to show your support of getting us on Steam eventually! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/zerogear

Also, I did a new accessory and hat this week!

acc005.pnghat013.png
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spent today setting up some forums for the game, hopefully it will help us form a tighter community around the game as we get further along with development!

http://myzerogear.com/phpBB3/index.php
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    was reading the forums a little and saw character suggestions, you could so do a panda! i will do it for you if you wish :P oh and for a vehicle you should make a mini hummer like mine :P

minihummerwip-2.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    shesh..thats amazing
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I was working on a design for an icon for the game executable, this is much larger version of the design but I think it scales down pretty well

zgicon_256.png
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good!

I can't wait to see a blue and orange panda with a cowboy hat, monocle, and mustache driving a dune buggy in space!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everybody wants a panda! I guess I will have to make that my next character.
  • FicWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FicWill polycounter lvl 17
    A penguin would be great too, as well as fairly simplistic geometry and texture-wise.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm dying to try this out. it looks so awesome. It would be great to have a big online community for this and play on weeknights.