Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kart racing game

Replies

• Ironwolf
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, I could easily do that - we can control how the game works, I am just still figuring out if and how we need to build it to combat stuff like that, becuase while it might work well to just make a set of invisible wheels for a hovering kart, we will need to have some checks in place so that people don't make an invisible kart, character, etc and mess things up for other players by being basically invisible. I think invisible wheels might be ok, as long as we can prevent invisible karts and characters.

*edit* did a ballcap real quick

ballcap.png
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skizot polycounter lvl 18
    do you have a static mesh that can be used to make addon parts? like a basic body shape?

I'm interesting in making a few things for characters and i'd like to know the scale.
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if you guys already have this, but I didn't see it; night vision goggles would be pretty slick.

That future bunny girl is looking pretty cool!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is something pior put together from some meshes I posted earlier:

"Also put together a little static template skeleton in .obj flavour. The zip has a Maya8 .ma version of the original template too - to make it work under older Mayas simply textedit the few '8.0's at the beginning to the desired version."

http://www.pioroberson.com/files/ZG_driverrig_obj.zip

night vision goggles would be cool. I think a pyro tribute gas mask would own too.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    gas mask, fluffy bunny ears, flat cap, unicorn horn all ftw
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is something pior put together from some meshes I posted earlier:

"Also put together a little static template skeleton in .obj flavour. The zip has a Maya8 .ma version of the original template too - to make it work under older Mayas simply textedit the few '8.0's at the beginning to the desired version."

http://www.pioroberson.com/files/ZG_driverrig_obj.zip

night vision goggles would be cool. I think a pyro tribute gas mask would own too.

so that head is the regular head size?? I might just do a pyro mask.... i was going to make a 300 helmet as well...

my question is... i use max, can i give you a 3ds and texture?
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    this is looking more and more glorious every time I see it!
    awesome work
  • kinikuR6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great job on the characters. Lots of personality.
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skizot wrote: »
    so that head is the regular head size?? I might just do a pyro mask.... i was going to make a 300 helmet as well...

no, I would need a format I can load into maya. Once we release the garage though, you will be able to get an exporter set up and see it on the characters. The head in that reference file is the "maximum" size, all the props are fit to fit on that, like a mannequin. Some have smaller or slightly different shapes but they will all basically fit inside that shape.
  • kdub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kdub polycounter lvl 18
    Skizot wrote: »

As if you could make anything.

This thing looks awesome. If I understand it right the plan is to release it on steam?
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    That is looking so awesome! nice job pior! and nice work zaph on getting those extra parts done ^^!
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kdub wrote: »
    As if you could make anything.

like you've done anything productive lately?
    :P
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kdub wrote: »
    This thing looks awesome. If I understand it right the plan is to release it on steam?

Yes, that is our goal.
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2nkj882.png

progress so far...

question: what should i have on it that can be colored? i was thinking the rings around the eyes and breathers...
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool! You might want to make the rubber part customizable, I am not sure how recognizable it will be as a gas mask if it is not black/dark gray though.

new hat, be a TV star!

tvset.png
  • boomz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz polycounter lvl 9
    Hey marsh, I have a few ideas but most of all I'd like to make a Train Engine Kart. Do you have regulations on the wheel count/styling/size? 6 wheels would be good for train-ness, and the two rear wheels would preferably be bigger than the front 4, and fully rubber tires are simply unacceptable haha. Theres also the question of the bar that joins wheels and whether you could animate that in congress with the travel of the kart. I just think you're game is dying for something steampunky (doesn't require a train, but how much cooler can you get than locomotives?). Excellent work, I can't wait to play!
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k19r2c.png

final i guess. max exports obj, can i send that and the textures? or do you want . .mat too as i have no idea how those work.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Just couldnt resist, and needed a break from my own project.

About an hours work, don't know if it will amount to anything.

2w1y6pz.jpg

:D
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    hmm well I probably have to make a hat too, then

fry-hat?...

fryhat.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gimp character is needed and skull car, now where was that sketch?

edit- found the bugger from ages back on the concept tag thread, pity coulnt find the one with all the knickers falling out the boot

carpool.jpg
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I knew it was a good idea to involve polycount in this :)

that fry-hat is f*cking awesome. That looks like an easy one to try and get into the game real quick.

Obviously, as I am only one person who is trying to do the job of about 8 people, including making my own cool stuff - I can't work on getting everyone's stuff into the game right now. But what you can do to get ready for the day we release the garage editor that will allow you to test out all your custom content - is bone up on the Ogre3d asset format.

you can poke around the Ogre wiki for tuts http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/DCC_Tutorials

here are some exporters for most popular 3d apps http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=133

here is a bit about the material script http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Materials

finally, once you get something exported, you can view the asset using LEXIVIEW, a model viewer for Ogre3d which you can download here: http://myzerogear.com/LEXI.rar

here is an example item I have pulled from the game and zipped up. This is how all the items are set up at the moment. You should be able to load this in the lexiviewer to check it out.
    http://myzerogear.com/SteamGoggles.zip

one last thing to mention, it is not necessary - but if you would like to follow the style I have setting, I bake AO into all my maps using this tool: http://www.xnormal.net/ obviously there are lots of other ways to bake AO into your maps as well. This helps give objects some depth and illumination even though they are actually full bright in the engine.

btw, the skull car is an AWESOME idea! Any thoughts on how to make it work as a single seater?
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz wrote: »
    Hey marsh, I have a few ideas but most of all I'd like to make a Train Engine Kart. Do you have regulations on the wheel count/styling/size? 6 wheels would be good for train-ness, and the two rear wheels would preferably be bigger than the front 4, and fully rubber tires are simply unacceptable haha. Theres also the question of the bar that joins wheels and whether you could animate that in congress with the travel of the kart. I just think you're game is dying for something steampunky (doesn't require a train, but how much cooler can you get than locomotives?). Excellent work, I can't wait to play!

right now we only support 4 wheels, which are in the same spot on every kart. The wheels themselves can be customized but they have to be a standard size
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey MM, maybe you can still do the idea...

What if you only had 4 wheels working (real wheels) and 2 wheels on the kart model? So it would be apart of the cart chassis instead of 2 more sets of real wheels.

Just a thought... I don't know if it even works, maybe you need so much distance between the cart and the ground that it would screw everything up :P

Either way, i gotta say it again... YOU GUYS ARE RAWKIN!!!
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey MM, maybe you can still do the idea...

What if you only had 4 wheels working (real wheels) and 2 wheels on the kart model? So it would be apart of the cart chassis instead of 2 more sets of real wheels.

Just a thought... I don't know if it even works, maybe you need so much distance between the cart and the ground that it would screw everything up :P

Either way, i gotta say it again... YOU GUYS ARE RAWKIN!!!

hmm, thats an interesting idea actually. It could work. It would depend on us setting up the idle animation rate to be tweakable based on kart speed, so you could animate the wheels spinning in the idle and set the rate in which it speeds up to match the rest of the wheels.

thanks for the cheerleading, I am not exaggerating by saying that the positive feedback is a huge part of what keeps us going in this stressful and scary ( but rewarding ) process!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this would work for tanks too!
    maybe
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    A whole new world of 6 wheel'ed cars awaits you Shepeiro, go forth and dominate!! :P
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are the wheels used for collison?

if not couldn't you make a wheel that is sideways (ala back to the future) for hover cars? or maybe booster engines?

if all else fails, what about a wheel that is clear? as in there is a model but it's alphaed out?

an no comments about the pyro hat? i r offended! :P
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the wheels is only graphical, although the physical wheel the game uses is the same size. So the graphical wheel can look different but it would have to be about the same shape and size to look correct since it is parented to the invisible graphical wheel of a fixed size.
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the wheels is only graphical, although the physical wheel the game uses is the same size. So the graphical wheel can look different but it would have to be about the same shape and size to look correct since it is parented to the invisible graphical wheel of a fixed size.

you solved flying cars for the most part...invisible wheel model + flying cart. tada... the flying carts would hover at the height the rolling ones go, so it'd be basically the same... right?
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, that would work. I am just wondering how many people would put them on their regular karts and make them look odd. I guess it's not a huge deal - people are going to do all kinds of wacky stuff we can't always control.

for some bizarre reason I have created a NimbleBit myspace page. Add us if you are the myspace type!
    http://www.myspace.com/nimblebit

Also, a reminder that we also have a Zero Gear steam group - join up if you haven't already!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/zerogear
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well can't you have them add in an option for tires a car CAN'T use?
    like a text file with the tire id's that are disabled per car? that would allow you to make it so hover cars can't use the floaty wheels, and vice versa.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroTank1.jpg

couple of things may need altering, worried about how much space the driver has inside the turret for anims and accesories, and the
    treads, could possibly alter them to fit the wheels on the cart but that may look pants.

got a little texture space and a few polys to play with 2500 tris all in all, so i might add a little more stuff
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea as that stands right now, the character would be clipping through it like crazy. There are anims where they flail their arms about. Not sure how you could avoid that, I really like the concept.
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmm re-design it with lower turret sides and turn the rear of the turret into a spoiler/seat. its crazy but it just might work, this tanks gonna be rollin on chromes by the time its done
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Took a while to catch up on this thread and I'm amazed with the sheer amount of quality work being displayed here! Awesome work!
    Pior, Bunnygirl <3 My favourite custom player model in UT. So ace seeing it modded for Zero Gear.

-caseyjones
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    293cco6.png
    get both of my hats Here. I'm only posting them as there is apparently no ogre exporter for 3ds max :/
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there are lots of exporters for max, you might try this one:
    http://www.ogremax.com/

btw, that's the sniper hat from TF2 right? I'm not crazy?
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw, that's the sniper hat from TF2 right? I'm not crazy?

it is... it goes with the pyro hat ;)

I found an importer that works... shows my model in the LEXIViewer.. but no matter WHAT i do the model is looking up, and i have made almost the same material as yours (copied alot) and the rimlighting just won't turn on...
    any ideas?

2m7vjw6.jpg
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay so i got the model organized (holy god what a pain) but the rimlighting is still off...i can send you what i have if you'd like.

New hats in ogre format HURR
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you don't have the rimlighting cubemaps that are being referenced in the same directory as the models so it can't find them. Take them out of here http://myzerogear.com/SteamGoggles.zip and put them in your model directory.
  • boomz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz polycounter lvl 9
    OK marsh, I'll get to work on something that fits the standard size a little better ORRR I think I have an idea on how to jimmy the train into the rig you support-- assuming you can "kart_velocity = idle_animation_speed;" on the extra wheels. If it doesn't work out, I'll just try something else, no biggie, its such a fun style to work in. Accessories will come too.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a WIP of a hat I'm doing. I've never dealt with OGRE, so I'm going to have to figure out exporting this thing from modo.

helmetprevwg3.gif
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you don't have the rimlighting cubemaps that are being referenced in the same directory as the models so it can't find them. Take them out of here http://myzerogear.com/SteamGoggles.zip and put them in your model directory.

that's the issue... they ARE there.... i took them out of the zip seeing as you already had them...
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome brody! I was going to do an army helmet next, but maybe I will do something else since that is great looking.

got some DJ cans goin

djcans.png

I will put the rim lighting files in there and try and see what your problem is Skiz

*edit* are you baking color into the verts?
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shouldn't be... if it is i'll try painting them out tonight..
  • marshmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where is the brown color of the hat coming from? The only texture you have is the skin.png but I don't see any brown.

btw, dibs on engy helmet!
  • Skizot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's a ton of brown.... or are you talking about the band? holy crap... i just opened it and see what you mean... yeah they are there, just hidden by a mask that it's not gonna show me :/ that's messed up. but yeah it's all in skin.png.

also, damn you. i was gonna do that one tonight :( guess i'll have to do the spy.
  • boomz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz polycounter lvl 9
    ZG-trainblock-boomz.jpg
    Here is my TrainKart blocking out. Marsh, QQ. Can the driver's position be moved in any way (forward-backward, laterally, vertically)? In order to be train-y he's kinda gotta be towards the back (sitting over the rear wheel). It should be a simple offset, but depending on the engine it could cause difficulties. Figured I'd ask before fully fabricating it. Also, 4 Wheels just looked simpler... much better than any additional 'fake' wheels, so the design should no longer cause difficulties/additional work :). On the wheels, if I want train-looking wheels, (kinda like the ones that be on the toy) should I texture those separately from the kart or on the same sheet? I'll be working on a version of this hat! while awaiting your response to my q's.

wip:
    beerhat-wip-2.jpg

Love the cans! It really teaches the kiddos that the safest drivers wear sound-cancelling headphones ;)

Army Helmets should be accompanied by a cigar, always!