Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    cool shit Fletch, nice work.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work! J pretty sweet and thanks for the run down on the process!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    JFletcher,
    make a little red panda in his belly working the controls. because you love pandas and red pandas are awesome.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    ZackF wrote: »
    You made those textures with a mouse?
    The only difference is that it takes a chunk longer to paint. I think most of us started out using a mouse...

If you gotz da skillz, the tool doesn't matter. Tablets only speed up the process (and keep your wrist from dying :D ), they don't make ya paint better.

Still a pimp ass texture, fletcher. :) gj
  • Red Handed Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Handed Gamer polycounter lvl 10
    Actually, there is a difference. A mouse has 1 level of sensitivity (a click), while a tablet pen has up to 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity (depending on the manufacturer).

So I can't wait until Fletcher gets his tablet in the mail :P
    (Also, gratz on top 10 in DWIV, Fletch!)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Vassago wrote: »
    The only difference is that it takes a chunk longer to paint. I think most of us started out using a mouse...

If you gotz da skillz, the tool doesn't matter. Tablets only speed up the process (and keep your wrist from dying :D ), they don't make ya paint better.

Still a pimp ass texture, fletcher. :) gj
    I disagree, even though it is a tool, it helps you paint faster, easier, more precise, with better control over your brush. Im 100% sure switching from a mouse to a tablet is beneficial to the quality of your work.

edit: oops, just saw the other reply, had this page open for a while, kind of a double post I guess.
  • JZak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZak polycounter lvl 12
    Hey JFletcher thanks for taking your time using the mouse to paint up a great texture map for that lil dude. Nice work!
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Vassago: Oh believe me, I know. Hehe. I spent countless hours drawing via mouse back in the day. Pressure sensitivity is incredibly useful but it's possible to get by without it if you are resourceful.

One of my moused drawings from way back in 2004:

mouses%20uprez.jpg
  • dippingsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher -- awesome work, can't wait to see what you can pull off when armed with a tablet !
  • il Duce Primo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    il Duce Primo polycounter lvl 15
    JFletcher, that robot is kickass. The only thing that bugs me is the block of wood used for the feet has parts where the grain goes the otherway on the front side.
  • UXDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JFletcher: Great work, that is truly great detailling on the texture
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    they make you paint better if you draw with your left hand but mouse with your right!
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    justin: same here...
  • slukas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job JFletcher.

I hope that it won't hurt if my model triangle count will be 589.
    So... todays work:

modelsheet.jpg
  • zhone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall topology looks marvelous! Just wonder if the deformation behind the knees will work as expected.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    Very cool Skukas - are you going to animate him? :)

Here's something that took about an hour to make and animate, and about a week to render. I figured out the issue was with the inside of my computer looking like the contents of a well used hover bag, post vacuuming, it rendered out my 400 frame animation in no time. :D

UFO_Animation_Assets_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Completed Video :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0W15rLNkd8[/ame]

Quality isn't fantastic, have yet to figure how to export to Avi from AfterEffects without it messing with the resolution, which in turn makes youtube go nuts and turn it back to 4:3.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been following this thread for a long time and thought I'd finally join in. Here's a character I've been tinkering with for an upcoming indie game. Pardon for being 58tris over, I'm still learning about optimizing.

3719289276_285a33e8c3_b.jpg

Crits and comments are always welcome!
  • slukas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad you like him guys :).

@zhone: It worked.(the deformation)

@JohnnySix: Yep. Here it is:

walkcycle.gif

around 2x slowmo. I can't figure out if it is possible to make faster gifs - like 25fps. ...maybe swf would be better.
  • zhone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slukas: I get how the deformation works now. Thanks for sharing. It is a wonderful lowpoly model.
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    @Slukas - The speed of gif playback can vary depending the browser your using IE is usually slower, but if you take out some frames it should speed it up. cool character by the way cant say Im crazy about the nipples though.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    The shield and pine are sick fletcher. great textures.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    not as cool as what you guys are doing but here you go:

alien_enemy.jpg

was done under tight time constraints geometry uv and texture in roughly 3 hours

868 triangles 1x512x512 difuse
  • Randommonkies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JhonnySix, that video is great! The low-res video almost works in your favour, it makes it look like it was shot with a cell phone camera
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    @ Warby,

Awesome texture man, i like the spear tip in particular, very well done! It reminds me of WoW.

--

Anyways, my Intuos3 arrived 2 days ago, i was thrilled, this thing is huge, and im loving it so far. Feels way different and im really getting used to it quickly, after a couple eye to hand co-ordination exercises, basic sketches and forcing myself to use it for literally every single basic task. So yesterday i gave my first real go at using it to draw a sword concept to go with my shield:

swordconcept.jpg

Gonna model this.

Really happy with the tablet so far, i can only do basic crap atm but i'd love to get into some more 2d drawing. :)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby that's kick ass and fletcher: hope you make some kind of Mod for some Blizz Franchise out of this stuff... looks awesome.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Nice tribal alien creature Warby. Kind of reminds me of Oddworld from a character design standpoint.

Can't wait to see it finished, JFletcher! I was thinking of making a sword myself over the next couple days.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Warby - Love the textures. :D

@RandomMonkies - Cheers man - was chuffed how it came out for sub 1.5k for the whole scene (the majority being the double skydome lol)

Can you tell what this one is yet?

JTHM_low_poly_test_by_JohnnySix.gif

331 poly (644 tri)

Are we counting polys or tris, if the latter I'm over, if the former , I'm under par.

Probably could make the hair horns as planes and do them as a texture, and his body could have less segments, however he's generally a bendy character. hmm

No idea what's causing Mental Ray to create the big flashing chunks of green.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Warby - Great texture work and character style. Sort of reminds me a of the Protoss from Starcraft.

@ JFletcher - Congrats on the new tablet. I think we both ordered ours at the same time lol. Can't wait to see the sword progress.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great JFletcher, cant wait to see your textures with a wacom put to them.

It would be great to see another video of your texturing if you dont mind capturing the process again!
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, Guess I need to loose some tris somewhere, maybe I can lose some segments from the body?

Starting texture

JTHM_low_poly_WIP_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Wires

JTHM_low_poly_WIP_Wire_by_JohnnySix.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    lol@jthm
    I used to read that back when i was 10, i believe, my friend had an issue his cousin gave him. Definitely good for some immature giggles, and a read through at any age.
    Love all of your low poly work, guise
  • Red Handed Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Handed Gamer polycounter lvl 10
    @JohnnySix ~ It's always about triangles. Since game engines auto-triangulate any mesh upon import (or require a mesh to be 100% triangles on import), polygons don't really mean anything.

I loved your little UFO animation as well. The unique camera movement was a nice addition.

About your character mesh:
    You're right, a few loops should be taken out of his torso, and I would recommend using transparency for the "hair horns." Also, notice the slit running down the center of the toe of his boots, and the buckles on his boots. Both of those effects can be achieved in the texture.

You can get this guy under 500 tris, I believe in you! :thumbup:
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slukas, dope guy
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    Pseudo wrote: »
    Some fish for an iPhone game I am working on.

The fish are between 400 and 500 polys.

fishes.jpg

Edit - I should mention, alpha maps are specifically not being used (everyone's first comment is "you should alpha map the fins!"). In our case the additional geometry is cheaper than using a more complex shader on the iPhone hardware.
    hawken wrote: »
    But you can get alpha for FREE if you use PNG files, no shaders or extra code needed, it's part of the operating system.

alpha is never for free. first you need to have a 32bit texture instead of a 24bit one, so it eats up more memory, then you need to set a special rendering state on the GPU to enable it, and on low end hardware alpha blending is expensive (instead of just rendering the pixel the GPU will check the other ones and do a blending).
    Also alpha ordering issues could appear if the game doen't sort objects by distance...
    In that case using alpha is not really worth the prize, very cool models btw
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    omfgs the green fish is adorable
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jimmies I love JV's stuff, first got into it with JTHM (though gotta say, a lot later than 10!) If Nny turns out okay, I'll have a go at nailbunny. :)

@ Red Handed Gamer - I managed to keep the buckles and the hair spikes, I took some unnecessary polys out of the face, being that the central areas are predominantly flat, so saved a bunch there.

The buckles overlap the boot somewhat, so couldn't really replicate the look with a texture.

Spinner :

JTHM_low_poly_WIP_Wire_2_by_JohnnySix.gif

Wires :

JTHM_low_poly_WIP_Lower_Poly_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Back to work on the texture, I screwed the UVW's welding/deleting. :D
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hot warby

congrats on the new tablet Fletcher, you'll never go back to a mouse :) your stuff is super sick, really inspiring me to do some painted textre stuff again!
  • kangtalong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi im new here ima share mine.:poly122:
    lowpolyhead.pngcellko.jpg
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    First go at hand painted-only textures. Just realised the metal braces could have shared UVs :\

308 tris. 256 diffuse. 100% inspired by JFletchers wooden robot.

handpaintedbarrel03.jpg
    barrel_diff_256.png
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Could still shave off quite some triangles from that, texture looks good though. :)
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really nice man, i agree with leviathan though.

What about the under side of the barrel? I dont see any UV's for that, perhaps that free space could've been put to use. :)

@ Johnysix

Nice character, i love the proportions, and he reminds me of salad fingers. :)
  • ander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ander polycounter lvl 17
    Jawohl! About 430 tris, going to change the face, give some weapons, gasmask and a texture of course.

soldat.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so i decided to finally UV map the model i had for that sword concept and get cracking on the texture, started not too long ago:

swordwip.jpg

still 'meh' atm. :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i'm awesome at pressing enter on my keyboard. meant to say before horray for you Fletcher w/ the new tablet, but my brain asploded into 300 million pieces. sword's lookin pointy!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Jfletcher -- good god dude. If you don't start looking out for yourself you are going to OD on awesomesauce. Your skeelz are everywhere I look!
  • fsntico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first job.
    Reply pls! Ty.

carnflower.jpg

vitorino.jpg
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    Could still shave off quite some triangles from that, texture looks good though. :)
    JFletcher wrote: »
    looks really nice man, i agree with leviathan though.

What about the under side of the barrel? I dont see any UV's for that, perhaps that free space could've been put to use. :)
    Agreed. It's not really extreme low poly, but it weighed in under 500 tris so I posted it here, in confidence that I wouldn't get shouted at :D

There is no bottom cap to texture, J. I got rid of it as it wouldn't be seen. Would have really liked to have used up the spare UV space on another object but I started this at the end of an all-nighter and my brain went all shmooshy :p

Thanks for the comments :)

fsntico - If those are weighing in at over 500 polys, they're going to be well over 500 tri's, mate.
  • heribertovalle
    Ok. Decided to make an entry

Meet Mr. Mistoffeles the Gentleman Cat! 423 tris

mrmistoffeles.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fsntico... wtf is this? i'll give u a reply u scub bag

where to start, i mean... uh, the... i'm sorry, i'm not in the best mood and a little buzzed here, but i'd say this sober, but first of all! okay! first off, low poly models don't ever have mesh smooths on them. yeah? and dude, what the hell is that first thing any way? come on... and is it even fucking textured? you bastard, haha! you're kidding me, i've never seen something like this on polycount. you're polluting this thread dude, i'd totally ban you. ya, i need to not be so harsh here, but this is crazy. you've typed out the polies and vert count? really? what the hell dude, you desirve an infraction just for posting that, the numbers are right fucking there in your screenshot you silly pig, are you a joke account? and the neon green background? okay, there are lessons there, i'm just tell it how it is. i don't want to hurt your feelings man but damn... lets hug, i'm sorry.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    WTFSHITS IS THIS KP ?!?!?!!