Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    ahhah was totally about to comment on the vajayjay pants aswell.

rooster - lovely pixel work man work man.
    paradise.engineering - good work, you're getting there - but the concept (from bjorn hurri, i think) has a more varied skin tone than the plain monochrome grey your have - mix some blue grey and pink bits like the concept.
    gilesruscoe - cool
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    vvheris wrote: »
    1k triangles:
    krillin_low_poly_2_by_vvherislt-d466cc5.png

Looks really nice man, only one thing.

The zipper, it looks like a vagoo.
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    thanks achmedthesnake, i will work on that

knife-guy-anim2.gif
    almost finished going to polish him tomorrow.

edit:
    knife-guy-anim3.gif
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    I like him so far paradise, nice silhouette.
    A few things though,
    The skin currently looks like stone, it's got some very hard edges going on and is really unconvincing as skin. Try to make the edges less harsh (especially around the abdominal and pectoral muscles)
    The anatomy itself is also a bit off, there is very little definition in the arms overall - you should add some more detail to the deltoid and you should also add in the Brachialis, aswell as elbow details.
    In the back muscles, the Trapezius and the Latissimuss Dorsi seem to be merged together, the trapezius should move up the back and spread across the shoulders and up the neck whereas the latissimuss should be sweeping up under the arms.
    Oh, and man those are some long toes!
    The cloth lacks sharpness at the moment, you should tighten up the forms and add some colour variation in to make them look a bit more convincing.
    It's already been mentioned, but the colours you are using are very... dull, 100% desaturated grey is very boring to the eye, try using subtle hues of different colours to help make the skin more interesting, at the moment the model is just grey and brown, not the most thrilling colours to look at.
    I hope this didn't come across as too harsh, im just trying to point out a few things to you which your Orc model also seemed to suffer from, its got potential to be a really nice model if you just work on the details and push this model as far as you can.
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks so much giles! I'll have a long day tomorrow. "Oh, and man those are some long toes!" this is going on my wall hahaha .. i don't know why i never noticed that. I'm really happy you replied cause I still have a lot to learn.

another thing i did wrong but realized too far along in the process was making the pants uv too small and the head too large.. :poly122:

edit: Mcunha love your monster entry for the contest! hope i start mine tomorrow if i finish this knife guy
  • Conscrypt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HEY RACER REMEMBER THIS LOL

nah.jpg
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
  • sahil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sahil polycounter lvl 8
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sahil, your presentation is really bad. You should never use a white background to display models, large blank areas should be avoided (waste of bandwidth), and the name / tri count doesn't need to be anywhere near that big.

On the model itself, the UVs are very wasteful and as a general rule the border edges should be flattened where possible so you don't end up with uneven diagonal pixels on seams. And if your going to try drawing guide lines for how cloth folds, where the nose is, etc. dont use them in the final texture, just use them as -guides- for where to paint. Also, go here (should help teach you some of the basics):

http://www.ctrlpaint.com
  • sahil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sahil polycounter lvl 8
    I hesitated long before adding, but right now reviewed the work and removed
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pose1.gif

with 256x256 px texture
  • Micah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Damian wrote: »
    This is my first real post here at polycount. I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Damian. I am a twin, my brother is Micah over here on these forums. We both have a passion for art, programming and independent game creation.

While my brother likes to focus more on 3D and higher resolution digital painting, I have always been intrigued by lower resolution digital painting (Pixel art).

I love to create game mockups. Here's a few I've done that you may or may not have seen.

Pug puppy power
    puppy_game.png

Blast from the past
    gamex2x2.png

A Boys Adventure
    game_copy.png

Red VS blue
    bigbluebeating.png

These two are WIPS, and will probably stay WIPS unless I can help it. They're both quiet old, but hold a lot of sentimental value.

A Lost friend.
    mock_upreup.gif

This one is called ego, its my biggest WIP, and one I hope to finish soon.
    unled1iy.gif
    BUMP
    He posted this the other day but had to wait for first post approval.
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    Here's a shield I've been working on

shield_spike_rev2.jpg
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian love your art.

DLoud cool shield but i think that making the largest circle brighter or darker would make it look even cooler. also some of those small circles on the edge are not really circles.. i guess cause of the uv map

sorry for so many posts on this page.. i thought its possible to delete your own posts and combine them :poly127:
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Nice work Damian, we don't see enough Pixel art around here :)
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Damian: Absolutely gorgeous man! These boards definitely need more pixel art!
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, I made this ages ago and was maybe going to come back to it to try and finish it better.

craftCharacterSheet.jpg

Any tips and pointers? 500 tris for the craft, 500 for the lady and 128*128 texture maps for each, just diffuse.

What's sort of... "acceptable" for low-poly? In terms of texture size, and are mobiles and web platforms using spec and normal maps?
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    @DLoud
    Nice shield! Liking the colours and the lighting/gradients. Simple but effective.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff guys, love that pixel art!

A sun burnt troll :) 852 tris, 512x512 texture (troll) 256x256 (hobo stick)

sunburnttrollpic.png

sunburnttrollturntable.gif
    Still a ton of fixes to be done, but i need to put it aside for now..
  • green
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love all the models you've been doing lately gilesruscoe. But the texture on those bandages could use a bit more love. The rest looks mighty fine though.

Anyways, keep it up, I'll crawl back into the shadow now.
  • norest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    norest polycounter lvl 7
    I can't sleep after watch captain america movie.. so i make this.. i hope you'll like it.. :D

sample.jpg
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    norest - just a suggestion - maybe put an opacity/alpha on the shield to get rid of the obvious low poly edges...
  • clandestine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clandestine polycounter lvl 13
    another one from me to add to your incredible work!!

This is the main ship in a shmup, that we're doing for mobile devices...
    the models are of course completely modeled and unwrapped in silo,
    the screenshots are from the engine, no fancy renders...

one is the 'HD' reference model, it has 3700 polys and a 1024x1024 texture
    the other is the ingame model of 323 polys and a 256x256 texture.
    player_ship_comparison_01.png
    player_ship_comparison_02.png

Thanks for looking!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @green, Thanks alot! Yea the bandages are dodgy, i never intended to have them but slapped them on last min to make the arms less dull, will fix them up along with a few other things next week.

@Norest, nice! Fantastic shading.

@Cladestine Awesome as always.
  • Gorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cladestine great work! I can hardly tell what you did to make it so low poly (it wasn't until the last image that I figured out that the tubes on the engines are planes)!
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Clandestine that looks really cool. I'd like to see it with a less fisheyed perspective shot to pimp the game res model (which is way better than the HP)
  • clandestine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clandestine polycounter lvl 13
    thanks a lot guys.... the plane is quite small in the actual game, there are some camera tricks here and there (a la IKARUGA), but mostly the player wont be able to see the model up close, relatively 1/4 or smaller than the top view image from last page

player_plane_wires_02.png

player_plane_wires_01.png
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cpt america is looking really sweet there

agreed trans for the pointy shield as well as a trans for his little ear wings. afaik they stick out, not plastered to his head

Captain-America-Card.jpg
  • norest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    norest polycounter lvl 7
    Im sorry before if my English is bad..

achmedthesnake : I try to put an opacity/alpha on the shield but it become like this..

shield03.jpg

gilesruscoe : Thanks..

@ n88tr : I make Capt America based on movie Captain America the first avenger.. This is some reference :

captain-america-the-first-avenger-wallpaper-marvelsmall.jpg

lot of outstanding work here.. I still new and have much to learn.. advice + help + critics very appreciated.. :D
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    Those textures are sweet, merecraft! Nice job!
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, really sweet texturing merecraft
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    norest: shield shape not very efficient. Don't make 8 sides on inner ring and 8 sides on outer ring. Make 6 on inner and 12 on outer for better shape. Or try something like these:
    domes_and_polycounts.png

Small amount of wave/wobble on transparency is okay. Better than very pointy silhouette.

edit: note, the rightmost ones are not shapes I reccomend using! They are the base shapes for those on the left! They are shown because they illustrate the huge optimizations you can make with a wee bit of custom effort.

clandestine:
    you'd be better off having 2 opposing (12 and 6, 2 and 8, and 4 and 10 o' clock) rotor blades on a plane. This will give you a narrow, long quad with very little alpha/overdraw, and taking up less texture space.
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    @ Snader - sweet man, i do that alot!

gg_playership_01.jpg

Lil SpaceShip for upcoming Unity/Ipad title. 550 - tris :)
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Kurt Russell Fan Club, premium: thanks :)

beancube: sweet :D
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Okay people. Here comes a noob' s first lowpoly model experience for you :D

I am really looking forward for your tips.

58307724.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

32840197.jpg

29259542.jpg

59597170.jpg

68912571.jpg

24781118.jpg

diffusek.jpg

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few quick pointers:
    TEXTURE
    -if you're mirroring things, don't put them on the texture twice (pant legs, half the back, half the face)
    -800x800 is not a nice size. First of all computers like powers of 2 (2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024) which 800 isn't. Secondly it's a bit too big, I reckon a 256 should suffice.
    -don't be afraid to paint in some harsh shadows. there are places which are almost always shaded in normal lighting conditions, such as underneath collars and under the chin
    -the colors you use are quite flat, try getting some hue variation in there. A good rule of thumb is to have blue/purplish shadows and yellowish highlights.
    -even zombies have ears ;)
    Here's a quick edit:
    256GmanZombie.png
    left is just rearranging of texture islands, right is with paintover

MODEL
    -keep in mind that your counter says 'polys' which counts 4-sided polygons as one, while game engines tend to think in triangles. Because 1 square is made of 2 triangles, your polycount is actually around 500.
    -the feet are really dense. You could save a lot here. Same for the hips.
    -you have 6 sided arms and 5 sided legs. That's a bit much (for ~500 polies - it's okay for ~1000) Generally you want 4 sided arms and 5 sided legs (because legs are thicker).
    -you also seem to be relying mostly on building with cylindrical shapes - this is good to get some basic forms down, but they're not poly efficient in many cases. Heads for instance work a lot better if you start from a geosphere.
    -I suggest you have a look at some work from Tom Tallian, especially the spy and sniper models.
    -check the silhouette often, very often. Use a flat material to see the most important shapes. You can paint in details like eyesockets and a mouth, but you can't get rid of a blocky head shape with textures.
    -triangulate that shit. It gives you much more control, and game engines turn everything into triangles anyway. (note - this is just for lowpoly stuff)
  • norest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    norest polycounter lvl 7
    @ Snader - Thank you very much for your help.. :D
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks a lot Snader. I am starting tomarrow morning right away :D
  • JFabiano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question, guys... How do you get the cartoon outlines effect on your models? I've read something about cloning, flipping normals and adding a push modifier but seems a little crazy to me...
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, if you dont want to dish out drawcalls all over the place, take the model, expand it/scale it/push it so its a little larger then your model, then flip the normals and add a 1px black texture to it, or stick a black pixel in your models texture sheet.
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFabiano: yes that is the way but its pretty idiotic since you double the tris count
    giles, Norest, merecraft, beancube: awesome work guys!
    Snader: man those optimized shield examples will come in handy! also the tips for the hands and thumbs
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want that effect in a game then you can do that in the shader using instancing so that the model's verts only get transformed and skinned and sent to the renderer once, but it's drawn twice, once normally and once pushed, flipped and black. It costs more than not drawing it but nowhere near as much as doubling the tricount in the mesh.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering - hands and thumbs?
    JFabiano wrote: »
    cloning, flipping normals and adding a push modifier

It's either this or a special shader. http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsSobelEdgeDetection.html for instance. But shaders are pretty expensive and often not available in mobile engines. Then again, beancube's spaceship uses fresnel for the blue glow, and you could use a similar setup for outlining.

You could also try painting in some of the outlines.

Keep in mind, you don't need to flip/push EVERYTHING, lots of cartoon feel can come just from the texture style. Take a look at Jet Set Ratio Future - it's only got outlines on characters that less than ~5 meter near the camera.

You can use a simple LOD to do this yourself:
    0-5 meter = model + flipped model
    5-25 meter = model
    >25 meter = lowpoly mode
  • paradise.engineering
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some rushed 1 hour texture job, recorded it for your viewing pleasure. 512x512 590 tris

Tongue-Creature-TT.gif
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXuwLB-MTmo[/ame]
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Okay I am back. I know there are still some straches but I will make it better in the next model. :D
    Also I want to thank Snader for his tips again :D

256x256 Diffuse map. 326 tris.

diffusef.jpg

57315880.jpg

99144961.jpg

51908354.jpg

20957867.jpg

• butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    norest:
    Agreed
    U probably dont need that loop of edges that you have on the sheild there.
    Also it seems yoube got the whole shield uvs unique...you could possibly mirror alot of it. but thats just an inquiry :)

looks sexy!

clandestine: Looks seexyyy
  • sahil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sahil polycounter lvl 8
  • Gorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sahil the textures are very dirty looking. Perhaps you should shade with a dark brown colour rather than black. The wrinkles are also very circular looking, which, although possible, is unlikely :)
    Post some wires!